Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

I think that the following jar files are not actually used in OFBiz:

base\lib\scripting\jruby.jar
base\lib\Tidy.jar
framework\webapp\lib\MinML2.jar

I have removed them from my local copy and then built OFBiz without errors.

Can we remove them?

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Martin van den Bemt
+1 :) (diclaimer : don't know too much about the codebase yet)..

Mvgr,
Martin

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that the following jar files are not actually used in OFBiz:
>
> base\lib\scripting\jruby.jar
> base\lib\Tidy.jar
> framework\webapp\lib\MinML2.jar
>
> I have removed them from my local copy and then built OFBiz without errors.
>
> Can we remove them?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

byersa
Jacopo,

I used Tidy in the Undersun documentation site, and I think I thought
that it was going to be used more places in the content management
system. It probably, will be, but we can put it back when it is.

-Al

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think that the following jar files are not actually used in OFBiz:
>
>base\lib\scripting\jruby.jar
>base\lib\Tidy.jar
>framework\webapp\lib\MinML2.jar
>
>I have removed them from my local copy and then built OFBiz without errors.
>
>Can we remove them?
>
>Jacopo

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

David E. Jones

In that case unless there is a license issues with Tidy we might as
well keep it...

I think there are a few others that we don't really need so much, but
they might be convenient for some... I don't know. Some of these do
have code that refers to them but it is not used unless configuration
changes are made. It would be nice to have less libraries to maintain
(and to download for those getting OFBiz, or when we do releases...).

1. base/lib/scripting/js.jar: we originally considered this for the
UI level scripting tool, but BSH performs MUCH better and has some
nice flexibilities in other ways (even if they didn't like our
changes to more easily cache interpreted scripts... maybe in the
future still... whatever the case we really aren't using the js.jar
any more)

2. base/lib/scripting/jruby.jar: I don't think we have ever used
this, and may never, so yeah might as well toss it for now until we
do (been sitting so long we'll have to update before using anyway...)

Side note: I would like to keep jython.jar as we will be using it for
automated testing to run test scripts generated by PushToTest TestMaker.

3. framework\webapp\lib\MinML2.jar: this may be used by something,
but it may just be one of the reporting libraries, like DataVistion;
on that topic, the UomReport was really only a demo of DataVision, so
I don't know if there is any reason to keep it, for now JasperReports
seems to have won out, though it is LGPL so we are going to have to
remove it from the build and pull the jars anyway... so, let's toss
DataVision for now too

4. jetty: there isn't a license issue here and this is a pretty nice
servlet container, but after some initial difficulties the Tomcat
stuff is working great and this probably not being very well
maintained; I say we keep the wrapper classes and demo config files,
but remove the jars and just not build the jetty component

5. xapool.jar: we don't really need or use this (tried early on but
there were too many bugs with it, so we're using an old version of
Minerva that we maintain; on this topic... we should check out
Geronimo and such now that it's available) and it is LGPL, so we
might as well toss it

6. velocity: we decided a long time ago to go with FreeMarker instead
of Velocity, but we do have some support out of the box for
Velocity... is anyone using this? should we keep it, or have the
wrappers not built by default and toss it?

7. jxunit and jxweb: these are fairly nice tools that Brett Palmer
built some stuff on a while back, but the JXUnit and JXWeb stuff
hasn't really been actively maintained so using it is difficult and
hasn't really caught on for that reason; the license isn't a problem
(BSD), but we are kind of going in a different direction with testing
to hopefully stimulate activity in that area

Okay, I guess this is the main stuff for now... There are a bunch of
little ones in there that we might be able to toss, but I guess we'll
get into that later.

-David

On Jan 28, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Al Byers wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> I used Tidy in the Undersun documentation site, and I think I thought
> that it was going to be used more places in the content management
> system. It probably, will be, but we can put it back when it is.
>
> -Al
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that the following jar files are not actually used in OFBiz:
>>
>> base\lib\scripting\jruby.jar
>> base\lib\Tidy.jar
>> framework\webapp\lib\MinML2.jar
>>
>> I have removed them from my local copy and then built OFBiz
>> without errors.
>>
>> Can we remove them?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Jacopo Cappellato
I'd like to express my point of view over this subject.

In general I think we should clearly state, for every part of the
framework, what is the 'official' tool and what are the optional ones
(alternatives).

For the 'official' tool we should include all the jars, config files etc
to make OFBiz easy to run out of the box (as is now).

For the optional ones, as a general rule, I think we should exclude the
source files from compilation, leave all the source files and config
files for reference (and maybe add a small text document to describe
what to do to activate them) and toss out all the jars.

So for example:

Reporting engine:

- screenfop is the official tool
- JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools

Database:

- Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/development
- Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions

Servlet Container:

- Tomcat is the default container
- Jetty is optional

Scripting:

- BeanShell is the official language
- js, Velocity, JRuby are optional

Sometimes having too many choices causes confusion to new users instead
of helping them to get what they really need.

Jacopo

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> I'd like to express my point of view over this subject.
>
> In general I think we should clearly state, for every part of the
> framework, what is the 'official' tool and what are the optional ones
> (alternatives).
>
> For the 'official' tool we should include all the jars, config files etc
> to make OFBiz easy to run out of the box (as is now).
>
> For the optional ones, as a general rule, I think we should exclude the
> source files from compilation, leave all the source files and config
> files for reference (and maybe add a small text document to describe
> what to do to activate them) and toss out all the jars.
>
> So for example:
>
> Reporting engine:
>
> - screenfop is the official tool
> - JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools
>
> Database:
>
> - Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/development
> - Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions

    Perhaps some very simple informations about limitations (ex : HSQL not sure
because ..., etc.)

    Jacques

> [...]
> > Velocity, but we do have some support out of the box for Velocity... is
> > anyone using this? should we keep it, or have the wrappers not built by
> > default and toss it?
> >
> > 7. jxunit and jxweb: these are fairly nice tools that Brett Palmer built
> > some stuff on a while back, but the JXUnit and JXWeb stuff hasn't really
> > been actively maintained so using it is difficult and hasn't really
> > caught on for that reason; the license isn't a problem (BSD), but we are
> > kind of going in a different direction with testing to hopefully
> > stimulate activity in that area
> >
> > Okay, I guess this is the main stuff for now... There are a bunch of
> > little ones in there that we might be able to toss, but I guess we'll
> > get into that later.
> >
> > -David

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Sorry, my first message was sended to quickly ...

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> I'd like to express my point of view over this subject.
>
> In general I think we should clearly state, for every part of the
> framework, what is the 'official' tool and what are the optional ones
> (alternatives).
>
> For the 'official' tool we should include all the jars, config files etc
> to make OFBiz easy to run out of the box (as is now).
>
> For the optional ones, as a general rule, I think we should exclude the
> source files from compilation, leave all the source files and config
> files for reference (and maybe add a small text document to describe
> what to do to activate them) and toss out all the jars.
>
> So for example:
>
> Reporting engine:
>
> - screenfop is the official tool
> - JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools
>
> Database:
>
> - Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/development
> - Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions

Perhaps some very simple informations about limitations (ex : HSQL not sure
because ..., etc.) with date of creation (things change)

Jacques

> [...]
> > Velocity, but we do have some support out of the box for Velocity... is
> > anyone using this? should we keep it, or have the wrappers not built by
> > default and toss it?
> >
> > 7. jxunit and jxweb: these are fairly nice tools that Brett Palmer built
> > some stuff on a while back, but the JXUnit and JXWeb stuff hasn't really
> > been actively maintained so using it is difficult and hasn't really
> > caught on for that reason; the license isn't a problem (BSD), but we are
> > kind of going in a different direction with testing to hopefully
> > stimulate activity in that area
> >
> > Okay, I guess this is the main stuff for now... There are a bunch of
> > little ones in there that we might be able to toss, but I guess we'll
> > get into that later.
> >
> > -David

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

davidnwelton
On 1/30/06, Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sometimes having too many choices causes confusion to new users instead
> of helping them to get what they really need.

Very definitely!  A lot could be written about this topic, but suffice
it to say that new users are the least able, normally, to evaluate
different options, and thus infinite "which X is best?" discussions.
Provide good defaults and the option to change where it might be
desireable is how I try and code.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

This is a good idea in general, and something that I started a long
time ago in the Best Practices Guide (on the ofbiz.org web site) for
the more technical things, though deployment stuff is a different issue.

Also some quick comments on there where there may be some
misunderstanding:

On Jan 30, 2006, at 3:54 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Reporting engine:
>
> - screenfop is the official tool
> - JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools

The screen to FOP to PDF stuff isn't really for reporting. It is an
ideal tool for printed collateral where you need good control over
the layout of the page and so on, but it isn't really much of a
reporting tool per se...

JasperReport is probably the best option we have for reporting right
now, but it is LGPL licensed so we can't include it by default.
DataVision is interesting, but while it has matured over the years I
really haven't evaluated it in a long time.

> Database:
>
> - Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/
> development
> - Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions
>
> Servlet Container:
>
> - Tomcat is the default container
> - Jetty is optional
>
> Scripting:
>
> - BeanShell is the official language
> - js, Velocity, JRuby are optional
Velocity is more of an alternative to FreeMarker (though in spite of
having some support for it, we don't have full infrastructure, like
an extensions library for it and such).

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody - I was out for the weekend and just read through this.
Can we keep at least both hsql and derby in?

(The reason has to do with a long-running blob/binary issue which was
solved with hsql/postgresql but then broke on derby for me.  If you'd
like, I can go into it some more.)

Thanks,

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> This is a good idea in general, and something that I started a long
> time ago in the Best Practices Guide (on the ofbiz.org web site) for
> the more technical things, though deployment stuff is a different issue.
>
> Also some quick comments on there where there may be some
> misunderstanding:
>

> On Jan 30, 2006, at 3:54 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Reporting engine:
>>
>> - screenfop is the official tool
>> - JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools
>

> The screen to FOP to PDF stuff isn't really for reporting. It is an
> ideal tool for printed collateral where you need good control over
> the layout of the page and so on, but it isn't really much of a
> reporting tool per se...
>
> JasperReport is probably the best option we have for reporting right
> now, but it is LGPL licensed so we can't include it by default.
> DataVision is interesting, but while it has matured over the years I
> really haven't evaluated it in a long time.
>
>> Database:
>>
>> - Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/ development
>> - Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions
>>
>> Servlet Container:
>>
>> - Tomcat is the default container
>> - Jetty is optional
>>
>> Scripting:
>>
>> - BeanShell is the official language
>> - js, Velocity, JRuby are optional
>

> Velocity is more of an alternative to FreeMarker (though in spite of
> having some support for it, we don't have full infrastructure, like
> an extensions library for it and such).

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

David E. Jones

For now I have left hsqldb in, but I would like to get this issue
resolved and then possibly toss hsqldb as well (and just have derby
in by default).

If I remember right you only had this problem with derby after
applying a certain patch, but that patch was necessary to get this to
work right with Postgres? Does this problem come up in the EE unit
tests?

-David

On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody - I was out for the weekend and just read through this.
> Can we keep at least both hsql and derby in?
>
> (The reason has to do with a long-running blob/binary issue which was
> solved with hsql/postgresql but then broke on derby for me.  If you'd
> like, I can go into it some more.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> This is a good idea in general, and something that I started a long
>> time ago in the Best Practices Guide (on the ofbiz.org web site) for
>> the more technical things, though deployment stuff is a different
>> issue.
>>
>> Also some quick comments on there where there may be some
>> misunderstanding:
>>

>> On Jan 30, 2006, at 3:54 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> Reporting engine:
>>>
>>> - screenfop is the official tool
>>> - JasperReport, DataVision are optional tools
>>

>> The screen to FOP to PDF stuff isn't really for reporting. It is an
>> ideal tool for printed collateral where you need good control over
>> the layout of the page and so on, but it isn't really much of a
>> reporting tool per se...
>>
>> JasperReport is probably the best option we have for reporting right
>> now, but it is LGPL licensed so we can't include it by default.
>> DataVision is interesting, but while it has matured over the years I
>> really haven't evaluated it in a long time.
>>
>>> Database:
>>>
>>> - Derby is the default db (jar files are included) for demo/
>>> development
>>> - Hsql, Postgres, MySQL, Axion etc... are available solutions
>>>
>>> Servlet Container:
>>>
>>> - Tomcat is the default container
>>> - Jetty is optional
>>>
>>> Scripting:
>>>
>>> - BeanShell is the official language
>>> - js, Velocity, JRuby are optional
>>

>> Velocity is more of an alternative to FreeMarker (though in spite of
>> having some support for it, we don't have full infrastructure, like
>> an extensions library for it and such).
>>
>> -David

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Si Chen-2
Yes, David, that is the very same one.  Unfortunately I don't know Derby
too well to know what its issues are.  Manuel Meyer helped make the unit
tests, so they are now in the EE unit test suite as well.  Hopefully
somebody could look into why Derby doesn't like it--it worked with
PostgreSQL and MySQL.

Si

On 2/1/06, Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, David, that is the very same one.  Unfortunately I don't know Derby
> too well to know what its issues are.  Manuel Meyer helped make the unit
> tests, so they are now in the EE unit test suite as well.  Hopefully
> somebody could look into why Derby doesn't like it--it worked with
> PostgreSQL and MySQL.

Perhaps a bit of constructive "trolling" on the Derby list might get
some people to help look at it if it's actually a Derby issue.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - Jar files that doesn't seem to be used

Jacopo Cappellato
Yes,

I think this is a good idea.
In fact a few minutes ago I've sent a message to the Derby dev list
about our Jira issue: http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-565

Let's see if we can get some help from them.

Si, maybe you could you send a message to them about this issue as well?
Or, if you prefer, you could prepare a description of it and I'll send a
message to them (since I'm already in that list).

Jacopo