Dev - MacBook Pro Pros/Cons

David E. Jones

My father wanted to buy a laptop and was interested in an Apple so I sold him my old 12" PowerBook and decided to try a new MacBook Pro.

It just arrived today, and it's very interesting...

1. It's really fast
2. Eclipse won't run

When I say really fast, I mean really fast. I have a PowerMac desktop that is a dual 2.5Ghz PowerPC, the model from a couple of years ago. I periodically upgrade my stuff and last fall added a RAID 1/0 to it with 4 WD Raptor drives (the 36GB 10k RPM SATA ones). So, they basically run at double speed.

Here's the funny thing: the new MacBook Pro is outrunning even that machine for running OFBiz. My desktop takes about 5 minutes to build and create a fresh Derby db with seed data in it. The MacBook took 3:40. The desktop takes about 55 seconds to start OFBiz, and the MacBook took just about 32 seconds.

I don't know what they did with these little machines, but they can sure move... I opted for the 7200RPM hard disk for $100 more and I'm sure that makes a difference, but wow... Not bad for a laptop, even for a little dual core bugger.

It may mean I have to switch to NetBeans or something, but oh well, I've been hoping to check it out anyway.

I haven't decided to make it a desktop replacement yet... but anyone looking for a new (user) PowerMac desktop? ;)

Re: Dev - MacBook Pro Pros/Cons

Jacopo Cappellato
David,

NetBeans is a rather nice ide.

Jacopo

David E. Jones wrote:

> My father wanted to buy a laptop and was interested in an Apple so I sold him my old 12" PowerBook and decided to try a new MacBook Pro.
>
> It just arrived today, and it's very interesting...
>
> 1. It's really fast
> 2. Eclipse won't run
>
> When I say really fast, I mean really fast. I have a PowerMac desktop that is a dual 2.5Ghz PowerPC, the model from a couple of years ago. I periodically upgrade my stuff and last fall added a RAID 1/0 to it with 4 WD Raptor drives (the 36GB 10k RPM SATA ones). So, they basically run at double speed.
>
> Here's the funny thing: the new MacBook Pro is outrunning even that machine for running OFBiz. My desktop takes about 5 minutes to build and create a fresh Derby db with seed data in it. The MacBook took 3:40. The desktop takes about 55 seconds to start OFBiz, and the MacBook took just about 32 seconds.
>
> I don't know what they did with these little machines, but they can sure move... I opted for the 7200RPM hard disk for $100 more and I'm sure that makes a difference, but wow... Not bad for a laptop, even for a little dual core bugger.
>
> It may mean I have to switch to NetBeans or something, but oh well, I've been hoping to check it out anyway.
>
> I haven't decided to make it a desktop replacement yet... but anyone looking for a new (user) PowerMac desktop? ;)

Re: Dev - MacBook Pro Pros/Cons

Think once Eclipse community recompiles to  the new lintel chip, it will
run again.
Surprised anything runs on it but the applications built in.

So they must provide the java SDK.
what version?

David E. Jones sent the following on 3/29/06 6:58 PM:

> My father wanted to buy a laptop and was interested in an Apple so I sold him my old 12" PowerBook and decided to try a new MacBook Pro.
>
> It just arrived today, and it's very interesting...
>
> 1. It's really fast
> 2. Eclipse won't run
>
> When I say really fast, I mean really fast. I have a PowerMac desktop that is a dual 2.5Ghz PowerPC, the model from a couple of years ago. I periodically upgrade my stuff and last fall added a RAID 1/0 to it with 4 WD Raptor drives (the 36GB 10k RPM SATA ones). So, they basically run at double speed.
>
> Here's the funny thing: the new MacBook Pro is outrunning even that machine for running OFBiz. My desktop takes about 5 minutes to build and create a fresh Derby db with seed data in it. The MacBook took 3:40. The desktop takes about 55 seconds to start OFBiz, and the MacBook took just about 32 seconds.
>
> I don't know what they did with these little machines, but they can sure move... I opted for the 7200RPM hard disk for $100 more and I'm sure that makes a difference, but wow... Not bad for a laptop, even for a little dual core bugger.
>
> It may mean I have to switch to NetBeans or something, but oh well, I've been hoping to check it out anyway.
>
> I haven't decided to make it a desktop replacement yet... but anyone looking for a new (user) PowerMac desktop? ;)

Re: Dev - MacBook Pro Pros/Cons

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
David .. remember what I said to you some time ago ... try IntelliJ, ask
Andy why ;)

Cheers,
=)

Si Chen wrote:

> Eclipse 3.2M5 will run on it.  Si
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> NetBeans is a rather nice ide.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> David E. Jones wrote:
>>
>>> My father wanted to buy a laptop and was interested in an Apple so I sold him my old 12" PowerBook and decided to try a new MacBook Pro.
>>>
>>> It just arrived today, and it's very interesting...
>>>
>>> 1. It's really fast
>>> 2. Eclipse won't run
>>>
>>> When I say really fast, I mean really fast. I have a PowerMac desktop that is a dual 2.5Ghz PowerPC, the model from a couple of years ago. I periodically upgrade my stuff and last fall added a RAID 1/0 to it with 4 WD Raptor drives (the 36GB 10k RPM SATA ones). So, they basically run at double speed.
>>>
>>> Here's the funny thing: the new MacBook Pro is outrunning even that machine for running OFBiz. My desktop takes about 5 minutes to build and create a fresh Derby db with seed data in it. The MacBook took 3:40. The desktop takes about 55 seconds to start OFBiz, and the MacBook took just about 32 seconds.
>>>
>>> I don't know what they did with these little machines, but they can sure move... I opted for the 7200RPM hard disk for $100 more and I'm sure that makes a difference, but wow... Not bad for a laptop, even for a little dual core bugger.
>>>
>>> It may mean I have to switch to NetBeans or something, but oh well, I've been hoping to check it out anyway.
>>>
>>> I haven't decided to make it a desktop replacement yet... but anyone looking for a new (user) PowerMac desktop? ;)
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Dev - MacBook Pro Pros/Cons

Great, I'll try that...

I played around with NetBeans but couldn't find anything sufficient for the "open resource" functionality that exists in Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc. I found a plugin for it, but it's a bit different and doesn't seem to support arbitrary filename extensions, like .bsh and .ftl, for example. Not that I can figure out anyway. The code completion looks nice, and the XML editor even looks pretty good (I've been using Oxygen in Eclipse).

Oh well... I guess I'll play with it some more once my taxes are done. ;)

-David