Dev - Processing incoming email

byersa
I notice that Si has posted a JIRA request for this. Is anyone actively
working on this or has anyone in the past? I would like to coordinate
efforts. I am talking about receiving email to various accounts, parsing
them and creating communication events from them.

-Al

Re: Dev - Processing incoming email

BJ Freeman
as a stop gap, I am using apache james and the mail server.
it has fetch, virus and spam filters builtin.
I am using the YPOP(modified) app to get and send to Yahoo webmail.
I am sure it can do Gmail and Hotmail with some code changes.
I modified the Java mail in ofbiz to do pop3, smtp.

Al Byers sent the following on 3/20/06 12:11 PM:

> I notice that Si has posted a JIRA request for this. Is anyone actively
> working on this or has anyone in the past? I would like to coordinate
> efforts. I am talking about receiving email to various accounts, parsing
> them and creating communication events from them.
>
> -Al

Re: Dev - Processing incoming email

David E. Jones

There is some infrastructure in OFBiz for monitoring email accounts and processing email that comes in. It is the "MCA" stuff in the service engine. It is a variation on the Service ECA rules to trigger service calls (actions) and such based on incoming emails and conditions. Right now these are just low level tools and I don't think there is anything in place for assigning them to an employee or associating them with an existing Party or creating a CommunicationEvent for them. Those would be some other "low business level" utilities that would be nice to add in and that could be used in high level business processes.

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> as a stop gap, I am using apache james and the mail server.
> it has fetch, virus and spam filters builtin.
> I am using the YPOP(modified) app to get and send to Yahoo webmail.
> I am sure it can do Gmail and Hotmail with some code changes.
> I modified the Java mail in ofbiz to do pop3, smtp.
>
> Al Byers sent the following on 3/20/06 12:11 PM:
>> I notice that Si has posted a JIRA request for this. Is anyone actively
>> working on this or has anyone in the past? I would like to coordinate
>> efforts. I am talking about receiving email to various accounts, parsing
>> them and creating communication events from them.
>>
>> -Al

Re: Dev - Processing incoming email

Si Chen-2
Yes, I looked through this once, and it looks pretty good.  I would like
to do it at some point, but time has been an issue.  If you'd like to
try it, I just posted my notes on how to do it here:
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-628

I think a simple service that just looks through the subject and stores
it should not be too hard.  Of course, a related issue right now is that
there is no support for attachments in CommunicationEvents yet, so for
real world situations, we'd need to work on that as well.

Si