Dev - Inventory Receive

Lei Gao-2
Hi there,

When add a Facility receive a Product through Inventory Receive menu, Looks like the corresponding ProductFacility record is not created, that way, user is not able to use the Find Inventory Availability By Product function.

Is this by design or something we can do?

Thanks
Lei

Re: Dev - Inventory Receive

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Lei,

this is a good question.
In my opinion a ProductFacility record should always be present for all
the products that you want to receive/tranfer/ship from/to a facility:
if you are receiving a product in the facility, this means that you want
to manage it in the facility and so you should set the reorder rules for
it in the ProductFacility.
Maybe the existing implementation could be enhanced; here are two two
different proposals:

a) if the ProductFacility entity is not present, you cannot receive the
product in the facility, i.e. you get an error message

or

b) if the ProductFacility entity is not present, when you receive the
product in the facility an entry in the ProductFacility entity (with
default values) is automatically created

What do you think of this?

Jacopo

Lei Gao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> When add a Facility receive a Product through Inventory Receive menu,
> Looks like the corresponding ProductFacility record is not created, that
> way, user is not able to use the Find Inventory Availability By Product
> function.
>
> Is this by design or something we can do?
>
> Thanks
> Lei

Re: Dev - Inventory Receive

Lei Gao-2
I like option B, that will give a very user friendly impression of this product. And as a matter of fact, all the people who work on this module in real world are not good to tracking the reason of an error message. :P

Lei

Lei Gao wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When add a Facility receive a Product through Inventory Receive menu,
> Looks like the corresponding ProductFacility record is not created, that

> way, user is not able to use the Find Inventory Availability By Product
> function.
>
> Is this by design or something we can do?
>
> Thanks
> Lei

Re: Dev - Inventory Receive

Daniel Goodwin
For my two bits I'd agree with Lei
Its frustrating if items received without productFacility entries when searching

Daniel

Lei Gao wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> When add a Facility receive a Product through Inventory Receive menu,
> Looks like the corresponding ProductFacility record is not created, that
> way, user is not able to use the Find Inventory Availability By Product
> function.
>
> Is this by design or something we can do?
>
> Thanks
> Lei

Re: Dev - Inventory Receive

If the ProductFacility record was created automatically, what would the inventory level fields be set to? That's the whole point of these records...

They should really be setup as part of product/inventory setup processes before the receiving is done. As it stands right now you shouldn't have any problem setting them up after as well... though option A would change that so I don't really like it.

-David

Lei Gao wrote:

> I like option B, that will give a very user friendly impression of this
> product. And as a matter of fact, all the people who work on this module
> in real world are not good to tracking the reason of an error message. :P
>

> Lei
>
> On 3/20/06, *Jacopo Cappellato* <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Lei,
>
>     this is a good question.
>     In my opinion a ProductFacility record should always be present for all
>     the products that you want to receive/tranfer/ship from/to a facility:
>     if you are receiving a product in the facility, this means that you
>     want
>     to manage it in the facility and so you should set the reorder rules for
>     it in the ProductFacility.
>     Maybe the existing implementation could be enhanced; here are two two
>     different proposals:
>
>     a) if the ProductFacility entity is not present, you cannot receive the
>     product in the facility, i.e. you get an error message
>
>     or
>
>     b) if the ProductFacility entity is not present, when you receive the
>     product in the facility an entry in the ProductFacility entity (with
>     default values) is automatically created
>
>     What do you think of this?
>
>     Jacopo
>

>     Lei Gao wrote:
>      > Hi there,
>      >
>      > When add a Facility receive a Product through Inventory Receive menu,
>      > Looks like the corresponding ProductFacility record is not
>     created, that
>      > way, user is not able to use the Find Inventory Availability By
>     Product
>      > function.
>      >
>      > Is this by design or something we can do?
>      >
>      > Thanks
>      > Lei
>      >
>      >
>      >

Re: Dev - Inventory Receive

Lei Gao-2
Hi David,

I still did not see anything rong this auto-create one ProductFacility record for a certain Product, if there is no record indicate that it is in the that Facility yet, and same time, inventory item created as well. For the rest of the fields, like minimum_stock, reorder_quantity, just leave them blank. Based on my understanding, ProductFacility is just a crossreference of Product and Facility, nothing related to inventory level stuff, right?

My point is, I still do not understand the system very well, there would be something I did not see.

Lei