Dev - SegmentGroupAssoc?

byersa
Are Segment Group and related entities the way to organize regionally
based sales teams? If so, there must be a need for a SegmentGroupAssoc
entity in order to do rollups? Or is SegmentGroup meant to be used at
the lowest level with party relationships handling the higher level
associations?

-Al

Re: Dev - SegmentGroupAssoc?

David E. Jones

SegmentGroups are meant to be a definition of a single "slice" of the parties in the system. These could be groups of customers with specific constraints for purposes of sales or marketing, or whatever is needed or desired.

They are really hierarchical by nature... What would it mean if a SegmentGroup where associated with another SegmentGroup in the case of an association? For a different and more directly hierarchical structure: what would it mean for a group to be a parent or child of another group? Perhaps that it inherits the details of the parent group? How would that be used?

I think the answer to your question is that a sales hierarchy, which is really just a part of the bigger company hierarchy, should go in the Party data model and be managed with party relationships. A particular Party representing a sales group could be associated with one or more SegmentGroups that it is responsible for, or even sales individuals and/or the sales groups could be associated with them for more direct control and tracking.

-David