Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

Brett
My company has some third party libraries that are dependent on JDK
1.5.  We are trying to integrate these APIs into our ofbiz
applications and running into problems.  The third party vendor will
not support the libraries unless we are running JDK 1.5.

I know there have been several posts in the past about running ofbiz
with JDK 1.5, but I haven't heard any successes yet.  We are willing
to start investigating this problem and providing a patch for JDK 1.5
for anyone that is interested.  From our initial testing it looks like
the main problem involves the JOTM component.  Does anyone know of
other libraries that would need to be upgraded to work with JDK 1.5?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and we will post back
any solutions that we discover.

Thanks,

Brett

Re: Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

David E. Jones

Brett,

As part of the Apache effort (see my last message on this for related
info) we are moving toward using Geronimo instead of embedded app
server components, mainly JOTM, Minerva, and Tomcat. So, we'll be
running in Geronimo with the various J2EE spec implementations in
Geronimo rather than having an OFBiz wrapper that loads everything.

I don't know if there are too many other libraries that we will have
to update, but perhaps. I know with some like Javolution that we can
only use the newer versions with a 1.5 series JDK.

Another issue here is that once we move to JDK 1.5 it will become
somewhat difficult to run on a 1.4 series JVM. We could have
alternate artifacts for each one... Unfortunately 1.5 is not
backwards compatible with 1.4 and we have found a couple of places
where there doesn't seem to be any way to write code that will work
in both of them (mainly because of changing APIs with methods that
were removed and not just deprecated, and new things are there
instead that did not exist in 1.4).

So, yeah, it's going to be fun... It should be possible and hopefully
once we are running in Geronimo hopefully it won't be too difficult,
but if it is important to others that OFBiz still be able to run in a
1.4 series JVM that will make it more interesting...

Does anyone have any thoughts, votes, requirements, etc they could
share?

-David

On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Brett Palmer wrote:

> My company has some third party libraries that are dependent on JDK
> 1.5.  We are trying to integrate these APIs into our ofbiz
> applications and running into problems.  The third party vendor will
> not support the libraries unless we are running JDK 1.5.
>
> I know there have been several posts in the past about running ofbiz
> with JDK 1.5, but I haven't heard any successes yet.  We are willing
> to start investigating this problem and providing a patch for JDK 1.5
> for anyone that is interested.  From our initial testing it looks like
> the main problem involves the JOTM component.  Does anyone know of
> other libraries that would need to be upgraded to work with JDK 1.5?
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and we will post back
> any solutions that we discover.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Brett

Re: Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make all of these big changes that
are needed including changing to Geronimo, Java 1.5, and switching to
Apache's SVN repository all at the same time while leaving the current
SVN repository up and running. It seems that it is a lot easier and
faster to make big changes all at once, rather than gradually making
them while trying to keep the code base functioning during every step of
the transition.

In other words, it may be better to run on a double track while making
these large changes...

As I see it, this would involve leaving the current SVN repository
system up and running using the existing Tomcat, Java 1.4, etc... Those
using it could still add bug fixes and small improvements.

Meanwhile, as the new SVN repository hosted by Apache is started, the
big changes can occur faster since it will not be necessary to keep the
whole system functional at every step.

Daniel

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 13:52 -0700, David E. Jones wrote:

> Brett,
>
> As part of the Apache effort (see my last message on this for related
> info) we are moving toward using Geronimo instead of embedded app
> server components, mainly JOTM, Minerva, and Tomcat. So, we'll be
> running in Geronimo with the various J2EE spec implementations in
> Geronimo rather than having an OFBiz wrapper that loads everything.
>
> I don't know if there are too many other libraries that we will have
> to update, but perhaps. I know with some like Javolution that we can
> only use the newer versions with a 1.5 series JDK.
>
> Another issue here is that once we move to JDK 1.5 it will become
> somewhat difficult to run on a 1.4 series JVM. We could have
> alternate artifacts for each one... Unfortunately 1.5 is not
> backwards compatible with 1.4 and we have found a couple of places
> where there doesn't seem to be any way to write code that will work
> in both of them (mainly because of changing APIs with methods that
> were removed and not just deprecated, and new things are there
> instead that did not exist in 1.4).
>
> So, yeah, it's going to be fun... It should be possible and hopefully
> once we are running in Geronimo hopefully it won't be too difficult,
> but if it is important to others that OFBiz still be able to run in a
> 1.4 series JVM that will make it more interesting...
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts, votes, requirements, etc they could
> share?
>
> -David
>

> On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Brett Palmer wrote:
>
> > My company has some third party libraries that are dependent on JDK
> > 1.5.  We are trying to integrate these APIs into our ofbiz
> > applications and running into problems.  The third party vendor will
> > not support the libraries unless we are running JDK 1.5.
> >
> > I know there have been several posts in the past about running ofbiz
> > with JDK 1.5, but I haven't heard any successes yet.  We are willing
> > to start investigating this problem and providing a patch for JDK 1.5
> > for anyone that is interested.  From our initial testing it looks like
> > the main problem involves the JOTM component.  Does anyone know of
> > other libraries that would need to be upgraded to work with JDK 1.5?
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and we will post back
> > any solutions that we discover.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Brett

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

I run both 1.5 and 1.4 on the same machine, at the same time.
I guess it would seem to leave the third part that run on 1.5 under the
1.5 and let ofbiz run on 1.4.
since there is ways to couple ofbiz to third party without including it
in source code, it seems the best way.

also what happens to the installations that are currently in versions
before 1.5 change over.
I think a Responsitory should be kept with JIRA to support fixes that
want to stay at 3.2 version.

You talk about advancing ofbiz, I would think that it would be a
downside, to implementing this in a business when the labor becomes a
major factor and the ability to support the installation is terminated.

I think it is great to advance, however I do believe major changes
should be new branches, and let those that want to stay put, allow to
support the old branch.

David E. Jones sent the following on 3/4/06 12:52 PM:

From: "Daniel Kunkel" <[hidden email]>

> Hi
>
> I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make all of these big changes that
> are needed including changing to Geronimo, Java 1.5, and switching to
> Apache's SVN repository all at the same time while leaving the current
> SVN repository up and running. It seems that it is a lot easier and
> faster to make big changes all at once, rather than gradually making
> them while trying to keep the code base functioning during every step of
> the transition.
>
> In other words, it may be better to run on a double track while making
> these large changes...
>
> As I see it, this would involve leaving the current SVN repository
> system up and running using the existing Tomcat, Java 1.4, etc... Those
> using it could still add bug fixes and small improvements.
>
> Meanwhile, as the new SVN repository hosted by Apache is started, the
> big changes can occur faster since it will not be necessary to keep the
> whole system functional at every step.
>
> Daniel

Like Daniel, I think too that this really make sense !

Jacques

> [...]
> > > other libraries that would need to be upgraded to work with JDK 1.5?
> > > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and we will post back
> > > any solutions that we discover.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Brett

> Daniel
>
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
> Have a GREAT Day!
>
> Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
> BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
> 14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
> Bellevue, WA 98007
> 800-734-3588    425-895-0050
> http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
> http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

Adam Heath-2
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> From: "Daniel Kunkel" <[hidden email]>
>

> > Hi
> >
> > I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make all of these big changes that
> > are needed including changing to Geronimo, Java 1.5, and switching to
> > Apache's SVN repository all at the same time while leaving the current
> > SVN repository up and running. It seems that it is a lot easier and
> > faster to make big changes all at once, rather than gradually making
> > them while trying to keep the code base functioning during every step of
> > the transition.
> >
> > In other words, it may be better to run on a double track while making
> > these large changes...
> >
> > As I see it, this would involve leaving the current SVN repository
> > system up and running using the existing Tomcat, Java 1.4, etc... Those
> > using it could still add bug fixes and small improvements.
> >
> > Meanwhile, as the new SVN repository hosted by Apache is started, the
> > big changes can occur faster since it will not be necessary to keep the
> > whole system functional at every step.
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Like Daniel, I think too that this really make sense !

No, exactly the opposite.

If several big changes are happening at once, and the system isn't functional,
it's unknown as to which of the changes that are in progress are at fault.  It
would make each person/group that's working on a changeset not know if
something they did broke something, or if it was something else.

It is very much better to do one thing, get it working, then move on to the
next.

Re: Dev - Willing to help migrate ofbiz to JDK 1.5

> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > From: "Daniel Kunkel" <[hidden email]>
> >

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make all of these big changes that
> > > are needed including changing to Geronimo, Java 1.5, and switching to
> > > Apache's SVN repository all at the same time while leaving the current
> > > SVN repository up and running. It seems that it is a lot easier and
> > > faster to make big changes all at once, rather than gradually making
> > > them while trying to keep the code base functioning during every step of
> > > the transition.
> > >
> > > In other words, it may be better to run on a double track while making
> > > these large changes...
> > >
> > > As I see it, this would involve leaving the current SVN repository
> > > system up and running using the existing Tomcat, Java 1.4, etc... Those
> > > using it could still add bug fixes and small improvements.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, as the new SVN repository hosted by Apache is started, the
> > > big changes can occur faster since it will not be necessary to keep the
> > > whole system functional at every step.
> > >
> > > Daniel
> >
> > Like Daniel, I think too that this really make sense !
>
> No, exactly the opposite.
>
> If several big changes are happening at once, and the system isn't functional,
> it's unknown as to which of the changes that are in progress are at fault.  It
> would make each person/group that's working on a changeset not know if
> something they did broke something, or if it was something else.
>
> It is very much better to do one thing, get it working, then move on to the
> next.

By experience I agree on that point (and it's XP an Agile ways). But I think
that to have 2 svn during this phase is a good thing, don't you ? Of course
merging after is also a pb (Always the 2 faces of the coin) :(

I think that a vote on this may be made. Of course more thoughts and
argumentations are needed before...