Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Leon Torres-2
Hi,

I'd like to add products to the ShoppingCart while simultaneously specifying the
destination shipment address.  The requirement is to extend the orderentry add
item form to include a dropdown of destination shipping locations.  If a
location is specified, the item will be added to the corresponding ship group.

I looked at ShoppingCart.addOrIncreaseItem(), but it doesn't seem to have the
ability to deal with ship groups.  If I wanted to add this functionality, what
would be the best way?

This is the second time I've seen this requirement.  This is also the second
time I have to modify the orderentry flow for ordermgr (first was for
ShoppingCart shipByDate and ShipBeforeDate). So an extra question would be,
where are we going with the ShoppingCart API?  Shouldn't we have different
subclasses for different type of carts (backend, ecommerce, custom), all unified
by a common interface?  That would make it easier to extend/customize.

Thanks,

- Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

BJ Freeman
have to look before making this certain, but would not split ship work
for this. would also let you specify different ship dates.

Leon Torres sent the following on 6/21/06 4:41 PM:

BJ Freeman wrote:
> have to look before making this certain, but would not split ship work
> for this. would also let you specify different ship dates.

Doesn't this process operate on OrderItems after the order is created?  I'm
looking for something that operates on the ShoppingCart CartShipInfo and
ShoppingCartItem list before the order is created.

- Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Alexandre Gomes-5
Hi,

   You mean to create a shipment group on the fly as the you enter an
item with a specific destination to the cart?

Regards,
Alex

Alexandre Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    You mean to create a shipment group on the fly as the you enter an
> item with a specific destination to the cart?
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Yes, that's correct.  Or add to an existing shipment group for the selected
contactMechId.

- Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Alexandre Gomes-5
Hi Leon,

   I think as you pointed the immediate change would be adding a field
to ShipItemInfo like shipItemShipGroupContactMechId with the
respective set/get methods, populate this field at the add item action
in the order entry and the when creating the order split the items to
different ShipGroups associated with the order.

   Maybe there is a more elegant way ...

Regards,
Alex

On 6/22/06, Leon Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alexandre Gomes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    You mean to create a shipment group on the fly as the you enter an
> > item with a specific destination to the cart?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alex
>
> Yes, that's correct.  Or add to an existing shipment group for the selected
> contactMechId.
>
> - Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Yes, but the frame work is there so you can hook into it on the fly.
Just need to add to the form and some code.

Leon Torres sent the following on 6/21/06 5:29 PM:

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>>have to look before making this certain, but would not split ship work
>>for this. would also let you specify different ship dates.
>

> Doesn't this process operate on OrderItems after the order is created?  I'm
> looking for something that operates on the ShoppingCart CartShipInfo and
> ShoppingCartItem list before the order is created.
>
> - Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Hi Leon,

recently David added the concept of itemGroups both to the cart an to
the order (see the OrderItemGroup entity).
To keep things simple, you could use the item groups to group together
items by destination; then, after the order is created, you could create
one shipment for each destination and assign to them the items in each
group (you could improve the order->shipment ui to make this easy).

Does it make sense?

Jacopo

Leon Torres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add products to the ShoppingCart while simultaneously specifying the
> destination shipment address.  The requirement is to extend the orderentry add
> item form to include a dropdown of destination shipping locations.  If a
> location is specified, the item will be added to the corresponding ship group.
>
> I looked at ShoppingCart.addOrIncreaseItem(), but it doesn't seem to have the
> ability to deal with ship groups.  If I wanted to add this functionality, what
> would be the best way?
>
> This is the second time I've seen this requirement.  This is also the second
> time I have to modify the orderentry flow for ordermgr (first was for
> ShoppingCart shipByDate and ShipBeforeDate). So an extra question would be,
> where are we going with the ShoppingCart API?  Shouldn't we have different
> subclasses for different type of carts (backend, ecommerce, custom), all unified
> by a common interface?  That would make it easier to extend/customize.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Leon Torres-2
Hi Jacopo,

Thanks for pointing that out, I was wondering what that itemGroupNumber
parameter in addOrIncreaseItemToCart was.  Is there a way to associate a group
with a contactMechId or CartShipInfo?

Thanks!

- Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Jacopo,

My concern with doing it this way is that OrderItemGroup was meant to
be another way to classify order items into groups independent of
OrderItemShipGroups (at least that's my understanding.)  If we add a
contactMechId to it, then we've basically re-created
OrderItemShipGroup.  If we don't, then we'd have to re-sort to
internal Maps of contactMechId -> orderItemGroup, and I don't know if
that's a great way to go.  Maybe it is, but something feels funny
about it.

What do you think?

Si

On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Leon,
>
> recently David added the concept of itemGroups both to the cart an to
> the order (see the OrderItemGroup entity).
> To keep things simple, you could use the item groups to group together
> items by destination; then, after the order is created, you could
> create
> one shipment for each destination and assign to them the items in each
> group (you could improve the order->shipment ui to make this easy).
>
> Does it make sense?
>
> Jacopo
>

> Leon Torres wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to add products to the ShoppingCart while simultaneously
>> specifying the
>> destination shipment address.  The requirement is to extend the
>> orderentry add
>> item form to include a dropdown of destination shipping
>> locations.  If a
>> location is specified, the item will be added to the corresponding
>> ship group.
>>
>> I looked at ShoppingCart.addOrIncreaseItem(), but it doesn't seem
>> to have the
>> ability to deal with ship groups.  If I wanted to add this
>> functionality, what
>> would be the best way?
>>
>> This is the second time I've seen this requirement.  This is also
>> the second
>> time I have to modify the orderentry flow for ordermgr (first was for
>> ShoppingCart shipByDate and ShipBeforeDate). So an extra question
>> would be,
>> where are we going with the ShoppingCart API?  Shouldn't we have
>> different
>> subclasses for different type of carts (backend, ecommerce,
>> custom), all unified
>> by a common interface?  That would make it easier to extend/
>> customize.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Jacopo Cappellato
Si,

I don't think it is a good idea to add the contactMechId to it; I
suggested this to Leon as a good compromise for a customization...
nothing more.
It seems to me that it is more natural to split the items into different
shipment groups after the order is created instead of doing it during
order entry... but maybe you have some good use case for doing it in the
cart.

Jacopo

Si Chen wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> My concern with doing it this way is that OrderItemGroup was meant to
> be another way to classify order items into groups independent of
> OrderItemShipGroups (at least that's my understanding.)  If we add a
> contactMechId to it, then we've basically re-created
> OrderItemShipGroup.  If we don't, then we'd have to re-sort to
> internal Maps of contactMechId -> orderItemGroup, and I don't know if
> that's a great way to go.  Maybe it is, but something feels funny
> about it.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Si
>

> On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Hi Leon,
>>
>> recently David added the concept of itemGroups both to the cart an to
>> the order (see the OrderItemGroup entity).
>> To keep things simple, you could use the item groups to group together
>> items by destination; then, after the order is created, you could
>> create
>> one shipment for each destination and assign to them the items in each
>> group (you could improve the order->shipment ui to make this easy).
>>
>> Does it make sense?
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

>> Leon Torres wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to add products to the ShoppingCart while simultaneously
>>> specifying the
>>> destination shipment address.  The requirement is to extend the
>>> orderentry add
>>> item form to include a dropdown of destination shipping
>>> locations.  If a
>>> location is specified, the item will be added to the corresponding
>>> ship group.
>>>
>>> I looked at ShoppingCart.addOrIncreaseItem(), but it doesn't seem
>>> to have the
>>> ability to deal with ship groups.  If I wanted to add this
>>> functionality, what
>>> would be the best way?
>>>
>>> This is the second time I've seen this requirement.  This is also
>>> the second
>>> time I have to modify the orderentry flow for ordermgr (first was for
>>> ShoppingCart shipByDate and ShipBeforeDate). So an extra question
>>> would be,
>>> where are we going with the ShoppingCart API?  Shouldn't we have
>>> different
>>> subclasses for different type of carts (backend, ecommerce,
>>> custom), all unified
>>> by a common interface?  That would make it easier to extend/
>>> customize.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> - Leon

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Si Chen-2
I was hoping to put this back into the framework because I thought
it'd benefit other people as well.  I think the current process of
adding items then selecting shipping addresses is more natural for
consumer websites.  For B2B sales, it does happen fairly often that
someone will call up and say "I want this item shipped to warehouse
A" and "the next item is for store B".

But - we're a community project :) - if everybody else doesn't want
this feature, I won't put it in.

Si

On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Si,
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to add the contactMechId to it; I
> suggested this to Leon as a good compromise for a customization...
> nothing more.
> It seems to me that it is more natural to split the items into
> different
> shipment groups after the order is created instead of doing it during
> order entry... but maybe you have some good use case for doing it
> in the
> cart.
>
> Jacopo
>

> Si Chen wrote:
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> My concern with doing it this way is that OrderItemGroup was meant to
>> be another way to classify order items into groups independent of
>> OrderItemShipGroups (at least that's my understanding.)  If we add a
>> contactMechId to it, then we've basically re-created
>> OrderItemShipGroup.  If we don't, then we'd have to re-sort to
>> internal Maps of contactMechId -> orderItemGroup, and I don't know if
>> that's a great way to go.  Maybe it is, but something feels funny
>> about it.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Si
>>

>> On Jun 21, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Leon,
>>>
>>> recently David added the concept of itemGroups both to the cart
>>> an to
>>> the order (see the OrderItemGroup entity).
>>> To keep things simple, you could use the item groups to group
>>> together
>>> items by destination; then, after the order is created, you could
>>> create
>>> one shipment for each destination and assign to them the items in
>>> each
>>> group (you could improve the order->shipment ui to make this easy).
>>>
>>> Does it make sense?
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

J. Eckard
Also, most websites that specialize in gifts (baskets, flowers, etc.)
will allow you to specify a ship-to for each item as you add it to the
cart.

-Joe

On Jun 22, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> I was hoping to put this back into the framework because I thought
> it'd benefit other people as well.  I think the current process of
> adding items then selecting shipping addresses is more natural for
> consumer websites.  For B2B sales, it does happen fairly often that
> someone will call up and say "I want this item shipped to warehouse
> A" and "the next item is for store B".
>
> But - we're a community project :) - if everybody else doesn't want
> this feature, I won't put it in.
>
> Si
>

> On Jun 22, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Si,
>>
>> I don't think it is a good idea to add the contactMechId to it; I
>> suggested this to Leon as a good compromise for a customization...
>> nothing more.
>> It seems to me that it is more natural to split the items into
>> different
>> shipment groups after the order is created instead of doing it during
>> order entry... but maybe you have some good use case for doing it
>> in the
>> cart.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

>> Si Chen wrote:
>>> Jacopo,
>>>
>>> My concern with doing it this way is that OrderItemGroup was meant to
>>> be another way to classify order items into groups independent of
>>> OrderItemShipGroups (at least that's my understanding.)  If we add a
>>> contactMechId to it, then we've basically re-created
>>> OrderItemShipGroup.  If we don't, then we'd have to re-sort to
>>> internal Maps of contactMechId -> orderItemGroup, and I don't know if
>>> that's a great way to go.  Maybe it is, but something feels funny
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Si

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

No, no,

I'm not saying I'm against this... just that this can be done in the
current codebase after the order is created; but maybe having this in
the cart is a good idea.

Jacopo

Si Chen wrote:

> I was hoping to put this back into the framework because I thought
> it'd benefit other people as well.  I think the current process of
> adding items then selecting shipping addresses is more natural for
> consumer websites.  For B2B sales, it does happen fairly often that
> someone will call up and say "I want this item shipped to warehouse
> A" and "the next item is for store B".
>
> But - we're a community project :) - if everybody else doesn't want
> this feature, I won't put it in.
>
> Si

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

Si Chen-2
Ok.  It's all right if you don't like it, by the way.

There are some other related requirements, and we'll see if we get
around to doing it.

Si

On Jun 22, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> No, no,
>
> I'm not saying I'm against this... just that this can be done in the
> current codebase after the order is created; but maybe having this in
> the cart is a good idea.
>
> Jacopo
>

> Si Chen wrote:
>> I was hoping to put this back into the framework because I thought
>> it'd benefit other people as well.  I think the current process of
>> adding items then selecting shipping addresses is more natural for
>> consumer websites.  For B2B sales, it does happen fairly often that
>> someone will call up and say "I want this item shipped to warehouse
>> A" and "the next item is for store B".
>>
>> But - we're a community project :) - if everybody else doesn't want
>> this feature, I won't put it in.
>>
>> Si

Re: Dev - add item to shopping cart with shipping address

David E. Jones

I've been reading over this thread and thought to comment on it. Sorry for not throwing in sooner, I was out for the day.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem like a big deal. It's just another form with a bunch of fields that need to be sent to multiple existing events and therefore needs something to handle and "distribute" the incoming information. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be implemented without changing any existing code, but simply adding a new event that calls existing events using information passed in.

That could go into SVN without causing any problems with existing code, and no need to do it after the order it already created (I'm not even sure how that would work exactly), but can follow existing patterns and setup all of the data in the cart on the fly.

-David