Dev - quick ajax demo

Adam Heath-2
With all the talk about ajax voodoo, I slapped something together, as a proof
of concept.  The following url only does client-side lookups; no server-side,
hitting submit will not do anything.  Also, none of the returned rows are
clickable, and it doesn't do paging(fortunately, the database doesn't have
much in it right now).

http://www.brainfood.com/PartyLookup

As you type in each of the form fields, it'll do an OR query using
XMLHttpRequest and JSON.

So, it wouldn't be hard to get this going.

Re: Dev - quick ajax demo

Si Chen-2
Looks great!

Adam Heath wrote:

>With all the talk about ajax voodoo, I slapped something together, as a proof
>of concept.  The following url only does client-side lookups; no server-side,
>hitting submit will not do anything.  Also, none of the returned rows are
>clickable, and it doesn't do paging(fortunately, the database doesn't have
>much in it right now).
>
>http://www.brainfood.com/PartyLookup
>
>As you type in each of the form fields, it'll do an OR query using
>XMLHttpRequest and JSON.
>
>So, it wouldn't be hard to get this going.

Re: Dev - quick ajax demo

Mamdouh Kaadan-2

Dear Adam

I tried this page, but there is java script error, and it doesn't work
as you want, the java script error is:
Line 262: char: 3
Error: 'undefined' is null or not an object
Code:0

Kind regards,

Mamdouh Kaadan

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Mamdouh Kaadan wrote:

> Dear Adam
>
> I tried this page, but there is java script error, and it doesn't work
> as you want, the java script error is:
> Line 262: char: 3
> Error: 'undefined' is null or not an object
> Code:0

It doesn't work with ie.  Please try firefox.  It was a quick thing, no
attempt at cross-browser stuff.  Sorry.

Re: Dev - quick ajax demo

Brett
Adam,

This looks good.  Is this just plain XMLHttpRequest and JSON or did
you use any other AJAX frameworks.

Brett

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Brett Palmer wrote:

> Adam,
>
> This looks good.  Is this just plain XMLHttpRequest and JSON or did
> you use any other AJAX frameworks.

plain.  I wrote a helper object, that walks a form, finding all <input
type="text">, and installing event handlers in them.  a 300 ms delay after
typing, it does the XMLHttpRequest, using JSON as the protocol, then doing
standard DOM calls.

Re: Dev - quick ajax demo

Adam Heath-2
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Adam Heath wrote:

> With all the talk about ajax voodoo, I slapped something together, as a proof
> of concept.  The following url only does client-side lookups; no server-side,
> hitting submit will not do anything.  Also, none of the returned rows are
> clickable, and it doesn't do paging(fortunately, the database doesn't have
> much in it right now).
>
> http://www.brainfood.com/PartyLookup
>
> As you type in each of the form fields, it'll do an OR query using
> XMLHttpRequest and JSON.
>
> So, it wouldn't be hard to get this going.

It's much more complete now.

* Works in IE.
* Uses DHTML to display different ContentInfo panes.
* All fields are now searchable.
* Displays same set of fields as findparty.bsh.
* Only returns 5 items to the client(the beginnings of proper pagination).