Different Shipping Accounts per Party

Vince Clark
Is it possible to use different shipping accounts for calculating rates and getting tracking number and labels based on the Party on an order? For example, a large retailer such as Wal-Mart would want all shipments charged to their UPS or FedEx accounts to take advantage of the volume discounts they have negotiated with shippers. I do not see anywhere in Party Profile to add Shipping Accounts.

As I think about this I am not optimistic this can be done since these accounts are setup in a properties file.

Any ideas on a workaround would be appreciated.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

Re: Different Shipping Accounts per Party

BJ Freeman
you can setup a contact mech.
just add a contactmech purpose
and type if they don't exist

https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/ViewRelations?entityName=ContactMechType
https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/FindGeneric?entityName=ContactMechType&find=true&VIEW_SIZE=50&VIEW_INDEX=0
https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/FindGeneric?entityName=ContactMechTypePurpose&find=true&VIEW_SIZE=50&VIEW_INDEX=0
Vince M. Clark sent the following on 11/8/2007 8:51 AM:

> Is it possible to use different shipping accounts for calculating rates and getting tracking number and labels based on the Party on an order? For example, a large retailer such as Wal-Mart would want all shipments charged to their UPS or FedEx accounts to take advantage of the volume discounts they have negotiated with shippers. I do not see anywhere in Party Profile to add Shipping Accounts.
>
> As I think about this I am not optimistic this can be done since these accounts are setup in a properties file.
>
> Any ideas on a workaround would be appreciated.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: Different Shipping Accounts per Party

Vince Clark
This will give us the ability to capture the shipping account info for a party. So at least we could populate a notes field to notify sales reps. But we would still need to create any logic, right? For example, when selecting a shipment method look for content mechs for the party on the order of type "Shipping Account" or something like that. That still doesn't give us the ability to pass an alternate billing account number to the shipping company. We would have to take this all the way to it's logical conclusion in order to automate.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 11/8/2007 8:51 AM:

> Is it possible to use different shipping accounts for calculating rates and getting tracking number and labels based on the Party on an order? For example, a large retailer such as Wal-Mart would want all shipments charged to their UPS or FedEx accounts to take advantage of the volume discounts they have negotiated with shippers. I do not see anywhere in Party Profile to add Shipping Accounts.
>
> As I think about this I am not optimistic this can be done since these accounts are setup in a properties file.
>
> Any ideas on a workaround would be appreciated.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: Different Shipping Accounts per Party

David E Jones

Not sure where you've looked so far to find this, but it does exist.
The name of the entity is PartyCarrierAccount.

To find stuff like this the easiest thing is to browse around either
the entitymodel.xml file or the Entity Reference pages in WebTools.
The best place to start in either is the entities related to the Party
entity, as you're looking for information attached to a party.

Hope that helps, and best of luck.

-David

On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Vince M. Clark wrote:

> This will give us the ability to capture the shipping account info
> for a party. So at least we could populate a notes field to notify
> sales reps. But we would still need to create any logic, right? For
> example, when selecting a shipment method look for content mechs for
> the party on the order of type "Shipping Account" or something like
> that. That still doesn't give us the ability to pass an alternate
> billing account number to the shipping company. We would have to
> take this all the way to it's logical conclusion in order to automate.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Ah a trunk update. Darn

David E Jones sent the following on 11/8/2007 10:23 AM:

> Not sure where you've looked so far to find this, but it does exist. The
> name of the entity is PartyCarrierAccount.
>
> To find stuff like this the easiest thing is to browse around either the
> entitymodel.xml file or the Entity Reference pages in WebTools. The best
> place to start in either is the entities related to the Party entity, as
> you're looking for information attached to a party.
>
> Hope that helps, and best of luck.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Vince M. Clark wrote:
>
>> This will give us the ability to capture the shipping account info for
>> a party. So at least we could populate a notes field to notify sales
>> reps. But we would still need to create any logic, right? For example,
>> when selecting a shipment method look for content mechs for the party
>> on the order of type "Shipping Account" or something like that. That
>> still doesn't give us the ability to pass an alternate billing account
>> number to the shipping company. We would have to take this all the way
>> to it's logical conclusion in order to automate.
>>
>> Vince Clark
>> Global Era
>> The Freedom of Open Source
>> [hidden email]
>> (303) 493-6723

BJ

Are you suggesting there is new functionality related to this in OfBiz trunk?

I found the entity David referred to, but the only place I'm finding related services is in opentaps-common. I haven't searched OfBiz trunk yet because we do not sync with trunk on production environments.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

David E Jones sent the following on 11/8/2007 10:23 AM:

> Not sure where you've looked so far to find this, but it does exist. The
> name of the entity is PartyCarrierAccount.
>
> To find stuff like this the easiest thing is to browse around either the
> entitymodel.xml file or the Entity Reference pages in WebTools. The best
> place to start in either is the entities related to the Party entity, as
> you're looking for information attached to a party.
>
> Hope that helps, and best of luck.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 8, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Vince M. Clark wrote:
>
>> This will give us the ability to capture the shipping account info for
>> a party. So at least we could populate a notes field to notify sales
>> reps. But we would still need to create any logic, right? For example,
>> when selecting a shipment method look for content mechs for the party
>> on the order of type "Shipping Account" or something like that. That
>> still doesn't give us the ability to pass an alternate billing account
>> number to the shipping company. We would have to take this all the way
>> to it's logical conclusion in order to automate.
>>
>> Vince Clark
>> Global Era
>> The Freedom of Open Source
>> [hidden email]
>> (303) 493-6723

The commit ML shows commits relative to this entity after the ver4.0
branch, which I use for production.
did not look at it closely since this is not something I am focusing on
right now.

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 11/9/2007 3:40 PM: