CMS Path Alias

Vince Clark
In Content Manager it is possible to define a "Path Alias" for a piece of content. How is this used. For example, can the alias be used in URL's in eCommerce? There is a field called "map key." I have seen this used elsewhere in CMS to refer to the content in Freemarker. What is the purpose of map key in a path alias?

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

byersa
Vince,

I have worked with the path alias a little bit. It is something that Andrew
added to make the CMS one step closer to mainstream functionality. It is
used in the CmsEvents class. The idea is that the url would have a
"/<contentId>" at the end and it would display that content. I think the
pathalias is just a way to put a more intuitive value for <contentId>. There
is a much better explanation than that and hopefully you will get one. I
have not found it useful, but that is probably because I don't understand
its full potential.

The "mapKey" is an important attribute for relating subcontent to a parent
content via the ContentAssoc entity. The idea is that you may have a
newspaper-like screen layout with sections named "main", "leftsidebar", etc.
The mainpage would have a static contentId and there would be multiple
subcontents linking to the "main" section via the mapKey value in
ContentAssoc. The page would display the one that is current using the
ContentAssoc.from/thruDate fields.

-Al

On 11/7/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Content Manager it is possible to define a "Path Alias" for a piece of
> content. How is this used. For example, can the alias be used in URL's in
> eCommerce? There is a field called "map key." I have seen this used
> elsewhere in CMS to refer to the content in Freemarker. What is the purpose
> of map key in a path alias?
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

Vince Clark
Thanks Al. So are you saying that if I use the syntax:
"/<contentId>" I should be able to use the alias instead of an actual content id? If so, what would come before the slash to identify the reference as content. Something like:
"content/<contentalias>"

The reason we are trying to use this is to make URL's more SEO friendly.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

I have worked with the path alias a little bit. It is something that Andrew
added to make the CMS one step closer to mainstream functionality. It is
used in the CmsEvents class. The idea is that the url would have a
"/<contentId>" at the end and it would display that content. I think the
pathalias is just a way to put a more intuitive value for <contentId>. There
is a much better explanation than that and hopefully you will get one. I
have not found it useful, but that is probably because I don't understand
its full potential.

The "mapKey" is an important attribute for relating subcontent to a parent
content via the ContentAssoc entity. The idea is that you may have a
newspaper-like screen layout with sections named "main", "leftsidebar", etc.
The mainpage would have a static contentId and there would be multiple
subcontents linking to the "main" section via the mapKey value in
ContentAssoc. The page would display the one that is current using the
ContentAssoc.from/thruDate fields.

-Al

On 11/7/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Content Manager it is possible to define a "Path Alias" for a piece of
> content. How is this used. For example, can the alias be used in URL's in
> eCommerce? There is a field called "map key." I have seen this used
> elsewhere in CMS to refer to the content in Freemarker. What is the purpose
> of map key in a path alias?
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

byersa
Vince,

Look at the specialpurpose cmssite.
In controller.xml you will see:
    <default-request request-uri="cms"/>

That is the request that you must call. You will see that it calls a
org.ofbiz.content.cms.CmsEvents.cms method.

I think this cmssite app should help you.

BTW, what does SEO stand for?

-Al

On 11/8/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Al. So are you saying that if I use the syntax:
> "/<contentId>" I should be able to use the alias instead of an actual
> content id? If so, what would come before the slash to identify the
> reference as content. Something like:
> "content/<contentalias>"
>
> The reason we are trying to use this is to make URL's more SEO friendly.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

Vince Clark
Search Engine Optimization.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

That is the request that you must call. You will see that it calls a
org.ofbiz.content.cms.CmsEvents.cms method.

I think this cmssite app should help you.

BTW, what does SEO stand for?

-Al

On 11/8/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Al. So are you saying that if I use the syntax:
> "/<contentId>" I should be able to use the alias instead of an actual
> content id? If so, what would come before the slash to identify the
> reference as content. Something like:
> "content/<contentalias>"
>
> The reason we are trying to use this is to make URL's more SEO friendly.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

Vince Clark
Interesting. So would it be possible to add this to a controller.xml in our custom component, run all requests thru cms first to try and match the content alias, and then run thru standard controller? This would avoid having to use an extra "directory" in the url like "cms."

Alternatively, we must use "cms" to identify the controller to run the request thru. Would it be as simple as adding this content related default-request and request-map to the controller.xml in our custom component? Then it would always look for a path alias on a content record and return that content?

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

That is the request that you must call. You will see that it calls a
org.ofbiz.content.cms.CmsEvents.cms method.

I think this cmssite app should help you.

BTW, what does SEO stand for?

-Al

On 11/8/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Al. So are you saying that if I use the syntax:
> "/<contentId>" I should be able to use the alias instead of an actual
> content id? If so, what would come before the slash to identify the
> reference as content. Something like:
> "content/<contentalias>"
>
> The reason we are trying to use this is to make URL's more SEO friendly.
>
> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: CMS Path Alias

byersa
On 11/8/07, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. So would it be possible to add this to a controller.xml in
> our custom component, run all requests thru cms first to try and match the
> content alias, and then run thru standard controller? This would avoid
> having to use an extra "directory" in the url like "cms."
>
> Alternatively, we must use "cms" to identify the controller to run the
> request thru. Would it be as simple as adding this content related
> default-request and request-map to the controller.xml in our custom
> component? Then it would always look for a path alias on a content record
> and return that content?

Yes, I think it would  work just by defining the "cms" request in your
controller.
-Al

Vince Clark

> Global Era