Discussion: Event Reminders

Adrian Crum
I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
work effort events - like status changes and such.

Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Nothing done/known in OFBiz (I wrote a small such tool for myself  more than 10 years ago in Visual C++ and I'm still using it all
the time)
S-E-M/ECA could also be used with this, but I'm just stating the obvious.

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
> I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
> efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
> occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
> work effort events - like status changes and such.
>
> Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?
>
> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Ray-91
I have nothing to add at the moment but just wanted to register interest
as this looks like it might be an aspect that may feed in to CRM
requirements which I am currently looking at.

Ray

Adrian Crum wrote:

> I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
> efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
> occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
> work effort events - like status changes and such.
>
> Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?
>
> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Adrian Crum
Here is the entity I have in mind for event reminders - let me know what
you think:

EventReminder
-------------
workEffortId*
contactMechId*
statusId (PENDING | COMPLETED)
reminderDateTime
repeatCount
repeatInterval
currentCount

-Adrian

Adrian Crum wrote:

> I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
> efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
> occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
> work effort events - like status changes and such.
>
> Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?
>
> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

How to deal with Parties without contactMech ?

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> Here is the entity I have in mind for event reminders - let me know what
> you think:
>
> EventReminder
> -------------
> workEffortId*
> contactMechId*
> statusId (PENDING | COMPLETED)
> reminderDateTime
> repeatCount
> repeatInterval
> currentCount
>
> -Adrian
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>> I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
>> efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
>> occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
>> work effort events - like status changes and such.
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?
>>
>> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Adrian Crum
How can the system send a reminder without a contact mechanism? Are you
referring to sending reminders to someone other than yourself (who might
not be in the system)?

-Adrian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> How to deal with Parties without contactMech ?
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
>> Here is the entity I have in mind for event reminders - let me know
>> what you think:
>>
>> EventReminder
>> -------------
>> workEffortId*
>> contactMechId*
>> statusId (PENDING | COMPLETED)
>> reminderDateTime
>> repeatCount
>> repeatInterval
>> currentCount
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> I'd like to add the capability to attach event reminders to work
>>> efforts. A reminder would send an email or page when an event has
>>> occurred or is about to occur. Maybe even have notifications tied to
>>> work effort events - like status changes and such.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done anything like that? Any thoughts on the subject?
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Forget it,

I thought it was about a reminder of an event in the system.
Like in a calendar in MyPage or something like that.
Sending an email makes much more sense.
Maybe poping up information may be interesting too though ?

My 2 cts

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> How can the system send a reminder without a contact mechanism? Are you
> referring to sending reminders to someone other than yourself (who might
> not be in the system)?
>
> -Adrian
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> How to deal with Parties without contactMech ?
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
>>> Here is the entity I have in mind for event reminders - let me know
>>> what you think:
>>>
>>> EventReminder
>>> -------------
>>> workEffortId*
>>> contactMechId*
>>> statusId (PENDING | COMPLETED)
>>> reminderDateTime
>>> repeatCount
>>> repeatInterval
>>> currentCount
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Adrian Crum
I'll get the email notifications committed first. Popup notifications
will be next. I'm thinking about writing a Java client application for
popup notifications.

-Adrian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Forget it,
>
> I thought it was about a reminder of an event in the system. Like in a
> calendar in MyPage or something like that. Sending an email makes much
> more sense. Maybe poping up information may be interesting too though ?
>
> My 2 cts
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
>> How can the system send a reminder without a contact mechanism? Are
>> you referring to sending reminders to someone other than yourself (who
>> might not be in the system)?
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> How to deal with Parties without contactMech ?
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>
>>> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Great ! Maybe we could use something like the calendar (hidden and CSS based) ? It's really quicker

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> I'll get the email notifications committed first. Popup notifications
> will be next. I'm thinking about writing a Java client application for
> popup notifications.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> Forget it,
>>
>> I thought it was about a reminder of an event in the system. Like in a
>> calendar in MyPage or something like that. Sending an email makes much
>> more sense. Maybe poping up information may be interesting too though ?
>>
>> My 2 cts
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
>>> How can the system send a reminder without a contact mechanism? Are
>>> you referring to sending reminders to someone other than yourself (who
>>> might not be in the system)?
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Discussion: Event Reminders

Adrian Crum
I was thinking of something more like Outlook or Schedule Plus - where
you start a program, minimize it, and then reminder popup windows
appear. It would be more like a jar file that would be loaded with the
workstation's startup script (or login script) or something.

In my local copy I used a browser window that could be minimized, but it
doesn't always pop up. It's behavior is unreliable. Sometimes users
close it accidentally - thinking it's a browser window they forgot to close.

-Adrian