EFT Authorization/Capture different from CC auth/capture

EFT Authorization/Capture different from CC auth/capture

Dave Tenerowicz
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation and worked
around it. If a customer pays for an order with an EFT payment method
(check by phone), payment gateway services obtains an authorization, and
when they order is completed and ready to ship the authorization is used
to capture the funds. Basically it looks as though the same processing
steps are followed as processing a credit card payment method.

However, from the payment processor perspective (Verisign) the two
methods are settled differently. When a CC is captured, the company is
quaranteed to receive the captured amount - but if an EFT account is
used, there can be a delay of a couple of days before the funds are
transferred from the customers bank to the company. My client is
concerned about this delay . The concern is that, if we handle the
payment as we do with CC payments then the order would ship immediately.
If there is an issue with the EFT account (for example NSF) then the
company has very little recourse, since the package has already shipped.

What my client would like to do is hold the order for 3 days after the
EFT "capture" - to be sure that the funds have actually been transferred
before they ship the package. Has anyone else done this? I assume this
would require a modification to PGS - but there may be other options.

Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave Tenerowicz
[hidden email]

Office: 303.493.6727
Mobile 303.906.6116