Eclipse Question

Mark Erbaugh
I have OfBiz release 4 installed into Eclipse - and almost working.  I'm
trying to debug some startup problems.  However, when I try to step into
Cluster.class, I get a message that there is no source for catalina.jar.

With the research I've done, it looks like catalina part of Apache
Tomcat.  I'm guessing that the source code for other projects is not
included in the SVN for OfBiz. What is the best way to include source
code for these classes with Eclipse?  Also, I noticed several versions
of Tomcat on their website. How can I determine which version is used in
OfBiz?

Mark

Re: Eclipse Question

Walter Vaughan
Mark Erbaugh wrote:

> I have OfBiz release 4 installed into Eclipse - and almost working.  I'm
> trying to debug some startup problems.  However, when I try to step into
> Cluster.class, I get a message that there is no source for catalina.jar.

Which tutorial are you following to use ofBiz inside Eclipse, and what version
of Eclipse are you using? There are several tutorials, and at times I've
excellent luck and other times I've missed one step that made me spend hours
fiddling to fix.

Don't try and overwork the problem.

Perhaps you are following a recipe that was written before the structure changes
  is what I think.

Walter

RE: Eclipse Question

mikeymwong
Hi Mark,

Base on the svn ofbiz 4.0 branch log, the
framework/catalina/lib/catalina.jar file was updated to tomcat version
5.5.20 on Oct 13 2006.

I think you can add the tomcat source to the Eclipse Debug Source lookup
path.

Cheers
Mike

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 22:41 -0400, Walter Vaughan wrote:

> Mark Erbaugh wrote:
>
> > I have OfBiz release 4 installed into Eclipse - and almost working.  I'm
> > trying to debug some startup problems.  However, when I try to step into
> > Cluster.class, I get a message that there is no source for catalina.jar.
>
> Which tutorial are you following to use ofBiz inside Eclipse, and what version
> of Eclipse are you using? There are several tutorials, and at times I've
> excellent luck and other times I've missed one step that made me spend hours
> fiddling to fix.
>
> Don't try and overwork the problem.
>
> Perhaps you are following a recipe that was written before the structure changes
>   is what I think.

I managed to install the source to Tomcat and can now debug into
Cluster.class. However, it turned out that the problem I was having was
because I hadn't loaded some of the supplied .jar files into the
classpath.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

RE: Eclipse Question

Mark Erbaugh
On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 23:20 +0800, Mike Wong wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Base on the svn ofbiz 4.0 branch log, the
> framework/catalina/lib/catalina.jar file was updated to tomcat version
> 5.5.20 on Oct 13 2006.
>
> I think you can add the tomcat source to the Eclipse Debug Source lookup
> path.

Mike,

Thanks,

I figured out (by process of elimination) that it was version 5.5.20.
Basically, I tried loading different versions until I found one where
the line numbers appeared to match up with appropriate code.

Where is the log file that you mentioned?  I don't see it in the files I
downloaded from SVN.

Also, and this is due to my lack of knowledge about JAVA projects, is
there a way to determine the source version given just the .class .jar
file?  I would hope that the .class file somehow embeds the source
version.

Mark

Re: Eclipse Question

David E Jones

Just do an "svn log" on the file(s) in question and you'll see the SVN revision history with comments. The version number for all libraries should be in the commit comments.

-David