Enhancing UI

How to allow to create a party from where it could be needed

Following Bruno's suggestion about Compiere UI
http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm

I suggest that we put a link to https://localhost:8443/partymgr/control/createnew everywhere we have a party lookup, using the party
label at left of the field. Actually we could generalising everywhere we have a lookup for something.

I know it's easy to click on the Party tab and then on create new. But after reading BJ's reading suggestion
http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/, I think it's an easy way to teach newbies how to do it. Easy for us to introduce, and
easy for newbies to use, maybe with a tooltip "click on party to create". This would fill the Condition #2 of the article above

Of course being able to show the screen where the choice of the type of party to create is done, and then the screen where data are
entered in a CSS hidden/shown window like the calendar would be great and could be our next target. This would allow to not leave
the
page the user is on and would create a less disturbing environment. But I know that this would also mean to preload these windows in
memory and is maybe out of reach at the moment (from a memory POV, without speaking of the code needed). Else we could do the same
thing for all the lookups, having them poping up as fast as the calendar. From a code POV, perhaps generalising from the calendar
code could be a way

Re: Enhancing UI

BJ Freeman
For a first effort, I would think that the tools tips that direct a user
to the steps would be sufficient.
that in it self is a large project for a community driven project.
especially with all the I8n needed.
like
"create new ($whatever) by clicking on ($whatever1)tab and click on
($whatever2) link"
could make the tooltip a template and ($whaterver1-2) is the only things
that is a variable.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/17/2008 1:51 AM:

> How to allow to create a party from where it could be needed
>
> Following Bruno's suggestion about Compiere UI
> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm
>

> I suggest that we put a link to
> https://localhost:8443/partymgr/control/createnew everywhere we have a
> party lookup, using the party
> label at left of the field. Actually we could generalising everywhere we
> have a lookup for something.
>
> I know it's easy to click on the Party tab and then on create new. But
> after reading BJ's reading suggestion
> http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/, I think it's an easy way
> to teach newbies how to do it. Easy for us to introduce, and
> easy for newbies to use, maybe with a tooltip "click on party to
> create". This would fill the Condition #2 of the article above
>
> Of course being able to show the screen where the choice of the type of
> party to create is done, and then the screen where data are
> entered in a CSS hidden/shown window like the calendar would be great
> and could be our next target. This would allow to not leave the
> page the user is on and would create a less disturbing environment. But
> I know that this would also mean to preload these windows in
> memory and is maybe out of reach at the moment (from a memory POV,
> without speaking of the code needed). Else we could do the same
> thing for all the lookups, having them poping up as fast as the
> calendar. From a code POV, perhaps generalising from the calendar code
> could be a way

Re: Enhancing UI

BJ Freeman
ofcourse then you can enhance the tool tip to handle links
then you could just modify the I8N files without touching code.
"Click here to ($whatever)"

BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:38 AM:

> For a first effort, I would think that the tools tips that direct a user
> to the steps would be sufficient.
> that in it self is a large project for a community driven project.
> especially with all the I8n needed.
> like
> "create new ($whatever) by clicking on ($whatever1)tab and click on
> ($whatever2) link"
> could make the tooltip a template and ($whaterver1-2) is the only things
> that is a variable.
>

> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/17/2008 1:51 AM:
>> How to allow to create a party from where it could be needed
>>
>> Following Bruno's suggestion about Compiere UI
>> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm
>>

>> I suggest that we put a link to
>> https://localhost:8443/partymgr/control/createnew everywhere we have a
>> party lookup, using the party
>> label at left of the field. Actually we could generalising everywhere we
>> have a lookup for something.
>>
>> I know it's easy to click on the Party tab and then on create new. But
>> after reading BJ's reading suggestion
>> http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/, I think it's an easy way
>> to teach newbies how to do it. Easy for us to introduce, and
>> easy for newbies to use, maybe with a tooltip "click on party to
>> create". This would fill the Condition #2 of the article above
>>
>> Of course being able to show the screen where the choice of the type of
>> party to create is done, and then the screen where data are
>> entered in a CSS hidden/shown window like the calendar would be great
>> and could be our next target. This would allow to not leave the
>> page the user is on and would create a less disturbing environment. But
>> I know that this would also mean to preload these windows in
>> memory and is maybe out of reach at the moment (from a memory POV,
>> without speaking of the code needed). Else we could do the same
>> thing for all the lookups, having them poping up as fast as the
>> calendar. From a code POV, perhaps generalising from the calendar code
>> could be a way
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Enhancing UI

Sven Wesley
Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been running a
project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out what
fields are about.

2008/11/17 BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>

> ofcourse then you can enhance the tool tip to handle links
> then you could just modify the I8N files without touching code.
> "Click here to ($whatever)"
>
> BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:38 AM:
> > For a first effort, I would think that the tools tips that direct a user
> > to the steps would be sufficient.
> > that in it self is a large project for a community driven project.
> > especially with all the I8n needed.
> > like
> > "create new ($whatever) by clicking on ($whatever1)tab and click on
> > ($whatever2) link"
> > could make the tooltip a template and ($whaterver1-2) is the only things
> > that is a variable.
> >

> > Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/17/2008 1:51 AM:
> >> How to allow to create a party from where it could be needed
> >>
> >> Following Bruno's suggestion about Compiere UI
> >>
> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm
> >>

> >> I suggest that we put a link to
> >> https://localhost:8443/partymgr/control/createnew everywhere we have a
> >> party lookup, using the party
> >> label at left of the field. Actually we could generalising everywhere we
> >> have a lookup for something.
> >>
> >> I know it's easy to click on the Party tab and then on create new. But
> >> after reading BJ's reading suggestion
> >> http://www.uie.com/articles/design_intuitive/, I think it's an easy way
> >> to teach newbies how to do it. Easy for us to introduce, and
> >> easy for newbies to use, maybe with a tooltip "click on party to
> >> create". This would fill the Condition #2 of the article above
> >>
> >> Of course being able to show the screen where the choice of the type of
> >> party to create is done, and then the screen where data are
> >> entered in a CSS hidden/shown window like the calendar would be great
> >> and could be our next target. This would allow to not leave the
> >> page the user is on and would create a less disturbing environment. But
> >> I know that this would also mean to preload these windows in
> >> memory and is maybe out of reach at the moment (from a memory POV,
> >> without speaking of the code needed). Else we could do the same
> >> thing for all the lookups, having them poping up as fast as the
> >> calendar. From a code POV, perhaps generalising from the calendar code
> >> could be a way
> >>
> >> Jacques

Re: Enhancing UI

BJ Freeman
I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.

Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:

> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been running a
> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out what
> fields are about.
>

> 2008/11/17 BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>
>
>> ofcourse then you can enhance the tool tip to handle links
>> then you could just modify the I8N files without touching code.
>> "Click here to ($whatever)"
>>
>> BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:38 AM:
>>> For a first effort, I would think that the tools tips that direct a user
>>> to the steps would be sufficient.
>>> that in it self is a large project for a community driven project.
>>> especially with all the I8n needed.
>>> like
>>> "create new ($whatever) by clicking on ($whatever1)tab and click on
>>> ($whatever2) link"
>>> could make the tooltip a template and ($whaterver1-2) is the only things
>>> that is a variable.
>>>

>>> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/17/2008 1:51 AM:

>> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm

Re: Enhancing UI

HI BJ,

I have updated http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document with some UI enhancements suggested
these last months. Could you please elaborate your propostion, I'm not sure to well understand it

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

>I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>
> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:
>> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been running a
>> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out what
>> fields are about.
>>

>> 2008/11/17 BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> ofcourse then you can enhance the tool tip to handle links
>>> then you could just modify the I8N files without touching code.
>>> "Click here to ($whatever)"
>>>
>>> BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:38 AM:

>>> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm

Re: Enhancing UI

BJ Freeman

Be glad to
:D

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 12/21/2008 9:58 AM:

> HI BJ,
>
> I have updated
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
> with some UI enhancements suggested these last months. Could you please
> elaborate your propostion, I'm not sure to well understand it

> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>

>> I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
>> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>>
>> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:
>>> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been
>>> running a
>>> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out
>>> what
>>> fields are about.

Re: Enhancing UI

not sure where you want me to put this.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 12/21/2008 9:58 AM:

> HI BJ,
>
> I have updated
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
> with some UI enhancements suggested these last months. Could you please
> elaborate your propostion, I'm not sure to well understand it

> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>

>> I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
>> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>>
>> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:
>>> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been
>>> running a
>>> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out
>>> what
>>> fields are about.

Re: Enhancing UI

As a comment on thepage, or here in the ML as you prefer

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> not sure where you want me to put this.
>
> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 12/21/2008 9:58 AM:
>> HI BJ,
>>
>> I have updated
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
>> with some UI enhancements suggested these last months. Could you please
>> elaborate your propostion, I'm not sure to well understand it
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>>

>>> I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
>>> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>>>
>>> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:

Re: Enhancing UI

the tooltips labels would be in there own file for an entity.
my thoughts are that a class that is similar to the one that maintains
the DB tables can be hooked into Create of the file to add the tooltips.
I envision this to be set to defaults based on the Field type.

Now we have the ability to put parms into the label in the I8N files, so
the tooltips would have the same ability.
like "Click here to ($whatever)"
would turn into
"Click here to see the productlist"
as a tool tip.
you would just have the fieldname like in the labels file.

barring having a seperate file, then having the
tooltip_$fieldname like tooltip_$Phonenumber
would work.

I hope this is clearer.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 4:08 AM:

> I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>
> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:
>> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been running a
>> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out what
>> fields are about.
>>

>> 2008/11/17 BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> ofcourse then you can enhance the tool tip to handle links
>>> then you could just modify the I8N files without touching code.
>>> "Click here to ($whatever)"
>>>
>>> BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:38 AM:

>>> http://www.compiere.com/products/product-demos/tour/compiere_window_navigation.htm

Re: Enhancing UI

I adapted your comments in http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
Look for "Quicker an intuitive access to basic functionnalities". Please comment if needed

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> the tooltips labels would be in there own file for an entity.
> my thoughts are that a class that is similar to the one that maintains
> the DB tables can be hooked into Create of the file to add the tooltips.
> I envision this to be set to defaults based on the Field type.
>

> Now we have the ability to put parms into the label in the I8N files, so
> the tooltips would have the same ability.
> like "Click here to ($whatever)"
> would turn into
> "Click here to see the productlist"
> as a tool tip.
> you would just have the fieldname like in the labels file.
>
> barring having a seperate file, then having the
> tooltip_$fieldname like tooltip_$Phonenumber
> would work.
>
> I hope this is clearer.
>

> BJ Freeman sent the following on 11/17/2008 4:08 AM:
>> I think this would be best handle by the rendering looking up a text
>> string tooltip_$fieldname in the I8n files.
>>
>> Sven Wesley sent the following on 11/17/2008 3:54 AM:
>>> Tool tips for labels/fields would enhance the gui a lot. I've been running a
>>> project with ofbiz for a while now and it's a time eater to find out what
>>> fields are about.

Re: Enhancing UI

BJ Freeman

thanks for you effort. seems to be the intent.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/5/2009 6:52 AM: