Crowded tabs

Hi All,

I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could put them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same remark that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet to make a proposition for product menu for instance.

Re: Crowded tabs

Scott Gray
My wishlist item for this would be for a user to be able to position the
tabs according to their preference and replace the secondary menu with a
primary menu top "More" dropdown item.
But like most of us I guess there's more wishes than time to fulfill them.

Regards
Scott

2008/11/25 Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>

> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could put
> them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same remark
> that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet to make
> a proposition for product menu for instance.

Re: Crowded tabs

I believe david said that the top menu was for the Applications relative
to doing business.
I agree that AR and AP should be under Accounting.
may have a level of sub menu for Sub application like AR, and AP.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/24/2008 8:26 AM:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could put them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same remark that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet to make a proposition for product menu for instance.

Re: Crowded tabs

I will put these ideas (an others) in the page in Wiki that I'm still searching (I wrote already some but I can't remember where :o)

Jacques

From: "Scott Gray" <[hidden email]>

> My wishlist item for this would be for a user to be able to position the
> tabs according to their preference and replace the secondary menu with a
> primary menu top "More" dropdown item.
> But like most of us I guess there's more wishes than time to fulfill them.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> 2008/11/25 Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could put
>> them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
>> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same remark
>> that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet to make
>> a proposition for product menu for instance.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Crowded tabs

I will at least put these ideas (and others if any) in the page in Wiki that I'm still searching (I wrote already some but I can't
remember where :o)

Jacques

From: "Scott Gray" <[hidden email]>

> My wishlist item for this would be for a user to be able to position the
> tabs according to their preference and replace the secondary menu with a
> primary menu top "More" dropdown item.
> But like most of us I guess there's more wishes than time to fulfill them.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> 2008/11/25 Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could put
>> them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
>> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same remark
>> that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet to make
>> a proposition for product menu for instance.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Crowded tabs

David E Jones-3

These tabs independent of other (especially "base") applications are
important. The general idea is that different users would have
different permissions for the tabs, so it may be common that a user
has access to "AR" but not to "Accounting".

This thread seems to have gone in the direction of better UI practices
to switch tabs. A drop-down might be really nice, and open up lots of
room for different numbers of applications. I also like the idea of
having something to select the apps desired for a "quick links" bar,
and maybe have that go beyond just tabbed applications and include
individual pages for easy access.

-David

On Nov 24, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We
> could put them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint.,
> isn'it ?
> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same
> remark that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the
> time yet to make a proposition for product menu for instance.

Re: Crowded tabs

Adrian Crum
I was working on a UI theme that had the application tabs in a left
column, and the column was collapsible.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> These tabs independent of other (especially "base") applications are
> important. The general idea is that different users would have different
> permissions for the tabs, so it may be common that a user has access to
> "AR" but not to "Accounting".
>
> This thread seems to have gone in the direction of better UI practices
> to switch tabs. A drop-down might be really nice, and open up lots of
> room for different numbers of applications. I also like the idea of
> having something to select the apps desired for a "quick links" bar, and
> maybe have that go beyond just tabbed applications and include
> individual pages for easy access.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 24, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We
>> could put them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
>> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same
>> remark that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time
>> yet to make a proposition for product menu for instance.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Crowded tabs

Bruno Busco
This would be really usefull !!

-Bruno

2008/11/25 Adrian Crum <[hidden email]>

> I was working on a UI theme that had the application tabs in a left column,
> and the column was collapsible.
>
> -Adrian
>

> David E Jones wrote:
>

>> These tabs independent of other (especially "base") applications are
>> important. The general idea is that different users would have different
>> permissions for the tabs, so it may be common that a user has access to "AR"
>> but not to "Accounting".
>>
>> This thread seems to have gone in the direction of better UI practices to
>> switch tabs. A drop-down might be really nice, and open up lots of room for
>> different numbers of applications. I also like the idea of having something
>> to select the apps desired for a "quick links" bar, and maybe have that go
>> beyond just tabbed applications and include individual pages for easy
>> access.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Nov 24, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>  Hi All,
>>>
>>> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We could
>>> put them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
>>> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the same
>>> remark that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time yet
>>> to make a proposition for product menu for instance.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Crowded tabs

Anil Patel-3
Should this be considered appropriate place for keeping track of such
items.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document

Regards
Anil Patel

On Nov 24, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I will at least put these ideas (and others if any) in the page in
> Wiki that I'm still searching (I wrote already some but I can't
> remember where :o)
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Scott Gray" <[hidden email]>
>> My wishlist item for this would be for a user to be able to
>> position the
>> tabs according to their preference and replace the secondary menu
>> with a
>> primary menu top "More" dropdown item.
>> But like most of us I guess there's more wishes than time to
>> fulfill them.
>>
>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> 2008/11/25 Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I wonder if we really need to have tabs for AR, AP and IS Mgr. We
>>> could put
>>> them respectively under Accounting and Asset. Maint., isn'it ?
>>> This because it begins to take place at the tab level. It's the
>>> same remark
>>> that I did about vertical menus even if I did not find the time
>>> yet to make
>>> a proposition for product menu for instance.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Crowded tabs

Thanks Anil,

I finally found it : comment in http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/User+Interface+Layout+Best+Practices
But I will update and copy it in New+Features+Roadmap. It  seems more appropriate place indeed.

Jacques

From: "Anil Patel" <[hidden email]>

> Should this be considered appropriate place for keeping track of such
> items.
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
>
> Regards
> Anil Patel
>
> On Nov 24, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> I will at least put these ideas (and others if any) in the page in
>> Wiki that I'm still searching (I wrote already some but I can't
>> remember where :o)
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "Scott Gray" <[hidden email]>
>>> My wishlist item for this would be for a user to be able to
>>> position the
>>> tabs according to their preference and replace the secondary menu
>>> with a
>>> primary menu top "More" dropdown item.
>>> But like most of us I guess there's more wishes than time to
>>> fulfill them.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Scott

Re: Crowded tabs

Tim Ruppert
We've got a theme that we've been working on that does the same thing - just with CSS.  We'll likely post it up to demo at some point so that everyone can check it out.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

----- "Bruno Busco" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This would be really usefull !!
>
> -Bruno
>
> 2008/11/25 Adrian Crum <[hidden email]>
>
> > I was working on a UI theme that had the application tabs in a left
> column,
> > and the column was collapsible.
> >
> > -Adrian
> >

> > David E Jones wrote:
> >

> >> These tabs independent of other (especially "base") applications
> are
> >> important. The general idea is that different users would have
> different
> >> permissions for the tabs, so it may be common that a user has
> access to "AR"
> >> but not to "Accounting".
> >>
> >> This thread seems to have gone in the direction of better UI
> practices to
> >> switch tabs. A drop-down might be really nice, and open up lots of
> room for
> >> different numbers of applications. I also like the idea of having
> something
> >> to select the apps desired for a "quick links" bar, and maybe have
> that go
> >> beyond just tabbed applications and include individual pages for
> easy
> >> access.
> >>
> >> -David
> >>

> >> On Nov 24, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hi All,

> could
> ?
> same
> time yet

Re: Crowded tabs

Bruno Busco
Hi Tim,
you could also think to put it on the Theme Gallery
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Visual+Themes+Gallery

-Bruno

2008/11/26 Tim Ruppert <[hidden email]>

> We've got a theme that we've been working on that does the same thing -
> just with CSS.  We'll likely post it up to demo at some point so that
> everyone can check it out.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595
>
> ----- "Bruno Busco" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This would be really usefull !!
> >
> > -Bruno
> >
> > 2008/11/25 Adrian Crum <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > I was working on a UI theme that had the application tabs in a left
> > column,
> > > and the column was collapsible.
> > >
> > > -Adrian

> > are
> > different
> > access to "AR"

> > practices to
> > room for
> > something
> > that go
> > easy

> > could
> > ?
> > same
> > time yet

Re: Crowded tabs

Tim Ruppert
Yep - I've already sent that on to the team and when it's all ready we'll definitely link in there.  Thanks for the pointer Bruno - I appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Crowded tabs

I put an abstract in http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document