Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Vedam B
Hi all,

Need help to understand the entity.

Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use) in
OFBiz are listed with description.

My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.

Regards
Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

BJ Freeman
have you looked at the entities you self?
they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
the ver 4.0 branch.
https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
look under
Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools

Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> Need help to understand the entity.
>
> Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use) in
> OFBiz are listed with description.
>
> My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.
>

> Regards
> Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Vedam B
Hi,

I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
written by David @
http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html

<<What is the intention of the require amount field>>

*<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of quantity
naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a gift
card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the amount
collected if the require amount field is set.

This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?

Regards
Vedam

On Nov 6, 2007 4:49 AM, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> have you looked at the entities you self?
> they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
> the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
> the ver 4.0 branch.
> https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
> look under
> Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools
>
> Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Need help to understand the entity.
> >
> > Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use)
> in
> > OFBiz are listed with description.
> >
> > My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.
> >

> > Regards
> > Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Adrian Crum
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books

The Data Model Resource book would be helpful.

Vedam B wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
> written by David @
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html
>
> <<What is the intention of the require amount field>>
>
> *<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of quantity
> naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a gift
> card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
> For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the amount
> collected if the require amount field is set.
>
> This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
> Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?
>
> Regards
> Vedam
>
> On Nov 6, 2007 4:49 AM, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>have you looked at the entities you self?
>>they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
>>the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
>>the ver 4.0 branch.
>>https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
>>look under
>>Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools
>>
>>Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Need help to understand the entity.
>>>
>>>Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use)
>>
>>in
>>
>>>OFBiz are listed with description.
>>>
>>>My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.
>>>

>>>Regards
>>>Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

that you should be able to see in each entity as they are updated.
but if you use the relationship on the entities, in webtools you will
see how they are used and connected.
and if you load the seed and demo data you will see the type of data
that is stored.

Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 3:42 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
> written by David @
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html
>
> <<What is the intention of the require amount field>>
>
> *<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of quantity
> naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a gift
> card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
> For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the amount
> collected if the require amount field is set.
>
> This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
> Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?
>
> Regards
> Vedam
>
> On Nov 6, 2007 4:49 AM, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> have you looked at the entities you self?
>> they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
>> the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
>> the ver 4.0 branch.
>> https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
>> look under
>> Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools
>>
>> Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Need help to understand the entity.
>>>
>>> Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use)
>> in
>>> OFBiz are listed with description.
>>>
>>> My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Vedam B

I have referred both volume 1 & volume 2, but few fields are not available.

Regards
Vedam.

On Nov 6, 2007 5:20 AM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
>
> The Data Model Resource book would be helpful.
>

> Vedam B wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
> > written by David @
> > http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html
> >
> > <<What is the intention of the require amount field>>
> >
> > *<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of
> quantity
> > naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a
> gift
> > card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
> > For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the
> amount
> > collected if the require amount field is set.
> >
> > This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
> > Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?
> >
> > Regards
> > Vedam
> >
> > On Nov 6, 2007 4:49 AM, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>have you looked at the entities you self?
> >>they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
> >>the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
> >>the ver 4.0 branch.
> >>https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
> >>look under
> >>Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools
> >>
> >>Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:

> use)
> >>
> >>in

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

jonwimp
Vedam,

I'm gonna try to comprehensively document all such ERP-related stuff in OFBiz, starting next year
Feb. You wanna join me? It's gonna be a huge project. Yeah, OFBiz is that huge.

Currently, as suggested by BJ, we need to figure out the meaning of those fields by
reverse-engineering on-the-fly, as and when we need to. Familiarity with OFBiz framework will be
necessary for such tasks.

Jonathon

Vedam B wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
> written by David @
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html
>
> <<What is the intention of the require amount field>>
>
> *<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of quantity
> naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a gift
> card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
> For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the amount
> collected if the require amount field is set.
>
> This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
> Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?
>
> Regards
> Vedam
>
> On Nov 6, 2007 4:49 AM, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> have you looked at the entities you self?
>> they have descriptions being added to them, as of late.
>> the best source is the run ofbiz as localhost and use the webtools. User
>> the ver 4.0 branch.
>> https://localhost:8443/webtools/control/main
>> look under
>> Entity Engine Tools and Service Engine Tools
>>
>> Vedam B sent the following on 11/5/2007 2:43 PM:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Need help to understand the entity.
>>>
>>> Is there any source where all the entities (tables, columns & their use)
>> in
>>> OFBiz are listed with description.
>>>
>>> My primary focus is on Product, Catalog, Category, Product Store.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Vedam.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

You may find some information in http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Undersun+Doc+Site+PDF+Exports
But it's hard to do

Jacques

De : "Vedam B" <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I have referred both volume 1 & volume 2, but few fields are not available.
>
> Regards
> Vedam.
>
> On Nov 6, 2007 5:20 AM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
> >
> > The Data Model Resource book would be helpful.
> >

> > Vedam B wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am looking for field description in each entity some thing similar as
> > > written by David @
> > > http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2004-May/003934.html
> > >
> > > <<What is the intention of the require amount field>>
> > >
> > > *<<The require amount field is for products that have some sort of
> > quantity
> > > naturally associated with them. Right now the only example of this is a
> > gift
> > > card where you enter the dollar/currency amount desired.
> > > For instance, I want 2 gift cards for $75 each, the "75" would be the
> > amount
> > > collected if the require amount field is set.
> > >
> > > This could also be used for things like rope, liquid, etc. >>*
> > > Is there any source, where all the fields are explained?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Vedam

> > use)

RE: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

CaseT
Hey Jonathan,

I would like to join you in this effort. Let me know what the next steps
are. I expect coming up with some sort of format.

Thanks, Case

11/4/2007 9:37 PM

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Adrian Crum
Case,

Case Torres wrote:

> Hey Jonathan,
>
> I would like to join you in this effort. Let me know what the next steps
> are. I expect coming up with some sort of format.
>
> Thanks, Case

Kenneth Porter
On Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:03 AM -0800 Adrian Crum
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Case,

Why would this not be something done in the wiki?

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Adrian Crum
Keeping the Wiki updated to the latest SVN would be difficult. The idea is to make the entity
definitions self-documenting.

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> On Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:03 AM -0800 Adrian Crum
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Case,
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1387
>

> Why would this not be something done in the wiki?

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Jacopo Cappellato
Even if it would be interesting to try again to wrap up the (parallel)
effort (discussed in several occasion in the past) to set up an online
documentation system, based on a wiki site of course maintained by the
community. Now that the community is growing I would be curious to see
if the thing is doable.
We could then have several layers of (online) information: screen level
information (community wiki or similar), and if not available, the field
level information based on entity meta data.

Jacopo

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Keeping the Wiki updated to the latest SVN would be difficult. The idea
> is to make the entity definitions self-documenting.
>
> Kenneth Porter wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, November 08, 2007 8:03 AM -0800 Adrian Crum
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Case,
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1387
>>

>> Why would this not be something done in the wiki?

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Adrian Crum
Jacopo,

I believe that a Wiki version of the entity reference screen would be a valuable asset to the
community. I'm hoping my efforts will enable someone to run a nightly process (similar to the Hotwax
demo site) that would update the Wiki with the latest entity metadata.

I'm about to create the patch that enables the entity model classes to expose the metadata. After
that I will convert the entityRefMain.bsh file to a service that can be invoked by an external process.

I'll leave it up to someone else to tie it all together.

-Adrian

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Even if it would be interesting to try again to wrap up the (parallel)
> effort (discussed in several occasion in the past) to set up an online
> documentation system, based on a wiki site of course maintained by the
> community. Now that the community is growing I would be curious to see
> if the thing is doable.
> We could then have several layers of (online) information: screen level
> information (community wiki or similar), and if not available, the field
> level information based on entity meta data.
>
> Jacopo
>
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Keeping the Wiki updated to the latest SVN would be difficult. The
>> idea is to make the entity definitions self-documenting.
>>
>> Kenneth Porter wrote:

>>> Why would this not be something done in the wiki?

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Jacopo Cappellato
Adrian,

I apologize but I was not very clear. I do really think that the
metadata (data model) information is a *valuable* source of information
and should really stay in the trunk, your work will be of great help.
On the other hand, the wiki style documentation could be useful for
screen level online help, even if the pulling the metadata information
would be helpful too (e.g. the screen widget could automatically pull
information from field's metadata).

Jacopo

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> I apologize but I was not very clear. I do really think that the
> metadata (data model) information is a *valuable* source of information
> and should really stay in the trunk, your work will be of great help.

I understood what you were saying. I was agreeing with you. ;-)

> On the other hand, the wiki style documentation could be useful for
> screen level online help, even if the pulling the metadata information
> would be helpful too (e.g. the screen widget could automatically pull
> information from field's metadata).

I agree. That will be another project for another day.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Kenneth Porter
--On Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:30 PM +0100 Jacopo Cappellato
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I apologize but I was not very clear. I do really think that the metadata
> (data model) information is a *valuable* source of information and should
> really stay in the trunk, your work will be of great help.
> On the other hand, the wiki style documentation could be useful for
> screen level online help, even if the pulling the metadata information
> would be helpful too (e.g. the screen widget could automatically pull
> information from field's metadata).

My concern was the contribution agreement to commit, and the ease with
which someone without an agreement can add to the wiki.

The wiki can also act as a "staging area" for information headed for
committing, but a similar issue arises, unless contributions to the wiki
are automatically considered to be under community license compatible with
a commit.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

BJ Freeman
To my knowledge only submission to the Jira with the Apache license
approval are committed.

Kenneth Porter sent the following on 11/9/2007 10:50 AM:

> --On Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:30 PM +0100 Jacopo Cappellato
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I apologize but I was not very clear. I do really think that the metadata
>> (data model) information is a *valuable* source of information and should
>> really stay in the trunk, your work will be of great help.
>> On the other hand, the wiki style documentation could be useful for
>> screen level online help, even if the pulling the metadata information
>> would be helpful too (e.g. the screen widget could automatically pull
>> information from field's metadata).
>
> My concern was the contribution agreement to commit, and the ease with
> which someone without an agreement can add to the wiki.
>
> The wiki can also act as a "staging area" for information headed for
> committing, but a similar issue arises, unless contributions to the wiki
> are automatically considered to be under community license compatible
> with a commit.

Re: Entity description - tables, columns & their use

Adrian Crum
Kenneth,

If the entity reference was set up in the Wiki as I proposed, then anyone wanting to contribute
toward updating the Wiki entity reference would simply submit a patch to Jira. With one patch two
things are kept up to date - the source code and the Wiki.

-Adrian

De : "Kenneth Porter" <[hidden email]>

> --On Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:30 PM +0100 Jacopo Cappellato
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I apologize but I was not very clear. I do really think that the metadata
> > (data model) information is a *valuable* source of information and should
> > really stay in the trunk, your work will be of great help.
> > On the other hand, the wiki style documentation could be useful for
> > screen level online help, even if the pulling the metadata information
> > would be helpful too (e.g. the screen widget could automatically pull
> > information from field's metadata).
>
> My concern was the contribution agreement to commit, and the ease with
> which someone without an agreement can add to the wiki.
>
> The wiki can also act as a "staging area" for information headed for
> committing, but a similar issue arises, unless contributions to the wiki
> are automatically considered to be under community license compatible with
> a commit.

You mean documentation ?

Jacques