Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Fabian Gorsler
Hi,

during writing the web app for our OFBiz-project I've discovered the
Google Webtoolkit (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/). It looks really
nice, especially for implementing AJAX. It's licensed under the Apache
2-license.

The pages are written in Java (like developing AWT/Swing) and wrapped to
HTML and the corresponding JavaScript functions. Those pages are passed to
the web server as static pages and the RPC stuff in the JavaScripts does
the rest on the client-side (fetching data).

The RPC services on the server are implemented as Servlets with normal
request maps. There seems to be nothing special about it. Up to know I
haven't tested anything of Google Webtoolkit myself, so there's no
guarantee. ;) I'd just like to hear your opinions.

Has anybody worked with Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz? Are there any efforts
to integrate Google Webtoolkit into OFBiz? Could anybody imagine serious
problems when using Google Webtoolkit?

TIA

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

BJ Freeman
There is a Jira open. vote on it.
Personally I won't be doing anything till mid 07.
maybe someone else will pick it up if there is enough votes.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-71

Fabian Gorsler sent the following on 8/1/2006 3:13 AM:

> Hi,
>
> during writing the web app for our OFBiz-project I've discovered the
> Google Webtoolkit (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/). It looks really
> nice, especially for implementing AJAX. It's licensed under the Apache
> 2-license.
>
> The pages are written in Java (like developing AWT/Swing) and wrapped to
> HTML and the corresponding JavaScript functions. Those pages are passed to
> the web server as static pages and the RPC stuff in the JavaScripts does
> the rest on the client-side (fetching data).
>
> The RPC services on the server are implemented as Servlets with normal
> request maps. There seems to be nothing special about it. Up to know I
> haven't tested anything of Google Webtoolkit myself, so there's no
> guarantee. ;) I'd just like to hear your opinions.
>
> Has anybody worked with Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz? Are there any efforts
> to integrate Google Webtoolkit into OFBiz? Could anybody imagine serious
> problems when using Google Webtoolkit?
>
> TIA
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian.

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Fabian Gorsler
Hi BJ,

> There is a Jira open. vote on it.
> Personally I won't be doing anything till mid 07.
> maybe someone else will pick it up if there is enough votes.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-71

well, eh, that's Google Checkout, not Google Webtoolkit. ;)

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

BJ Freeman
LOL I apologize.
should have had my cup of coffee first.

Fabian Gorsler sent the following on 8/1/2006 5:36 AM:

> Hi BJ,
>
>> There is a Jira open. vote on it.
>> Personally I won't be doing anything till mid 07.
>> maybe someone else will pick it up if there is enough votes.
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-71
>
> well, eh, that's Google Checkout, not Google Webtoolkit. ;)
>
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/
>
> Best regards,
> Fabian.

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Fabian Gorsler
> LOL I apologize.
> should have had my cup of coffee first.

No problem. :)

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

John Martin
We researched the Google AJAX toolkit and found that it was very low
level and required a lot of hard wiring in javascript to get it to
work.  We're starting to adopt the DOJO toolkit which is more of a 4GL
comparied to Google's and even Yahoo's.

We're just now starting to integrate with ofBiz and eventually will
attempt to pull it in.

For more info on DOJO, checkout http://dojotoolkit.org/.

John

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Marco LOMBARDO
What about http://qooxdoo.org/??

Regards,
Mar

--
Harmony is action without effort. (Plato)
Skype: mar9000
qooxdoo fan (http://qooxdoo.oss.schlund.de/)
LinuxUser #364892

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Brett
John,

I haven't done much with Google Web Toolkit (GWT) or Dojo, but what
were some of the specifics that you didn't like about GWT?  I am
evaluating different AJAX technologies for a particular project and
the thing that I like about GWT is that you can work in a Java
environment and then convert your code to JavaScript.

From your investigation did you find it difficult to generate GWT
widgets that could be integrated into ofbiz (e.g. into a ScreenWidget
page).

Thanks,

Brett

On 8/3/06, John Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We researched the Google AJAX toolkit and found that it was very low
> level and required a lot of hard wiring in javascript to get it to
> work.  We're starting to adopt the DOJO toolkit which is more of a 4GL
> comparied to Google's and even Yahoo's.
>
> We're just now starting to integrate with ofBiz and eventually will
> attempt to pull it in.
>
> For more info on DOJO, checkout http://dojotoolkit.org/.
>
> John

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?

Nicolas Mayeur
Hi all,

I am new to ofbiz, and also very much interested in an implementation of GWT in Ofbiz.
I know some of you have worked on the subject. Is some work going on ? Is it possible to contribute, and see what is done?

Thanks,

Nicolas Mayeur

Brett Palmer wrote
John,

I haven't done much with Google Web Toolkit (GWT) or Dojo, but what
were some of the specifics that you didn't like about GWT?  I am
evaluating different AJAX technologies for a particular project and
the thing that I like about GWT is that you can work in a Java
environment and then convert your code to JavaScript.

From your investigation did you find it difficult to generate GWT

On 8/3/06, John Martin <pbwebguy@gmail.com> wrote:
> We researched the Google AJAX toolkit and found that it was very low
> level and required a lot of hard wiring in javascript to get it to
> work.  We're starting to adopt the DOJO toolkit which is more of a 4GL
> comparied to Google's and even Yahoo's.
>
> We're just now starting to integrate with ofBiz and eventually will
> attempt to pull it in.
>
> For more info on DOJO, checkout http://dojotoolkit.org/.
>
> John

Re: Google Webtoolkit and OFBiz?