How to automatically update inventory ?

Bruno Busco
Hi All,
for the moment i need to use OFBIZ as an ecommerce webapp that interfaces to
a legacy warehouse management application. (As a further step we aim to
replace the whole ERP)

I have configured a couple of entitities and built a view-entity to access
the legacy database and I have now all the information I need to populate
the OFBIZ inventory.

Where could I start from to build a task that every night scans the legacy
db and updates the OFBIZ inventory?
How to scan all entities and for each one perform a task?
Is there a service I can call to set/update the product availability?

Many thanks for any hint.

- Bruno

Re: How to automatically update inventory ?

BJ Freeman
Just a thought any thing you use will effect other modules like accounting.
so if at some point you are going to delete and rebuild the DB for ofbiz
you will have a large task on your hands.
you may want to write your own service directly effects the information
you are making a copy of in ofbiz.

Bruno Busco sent the following on 3/31/2008 2:27 PM:

> Hi All,
> for the moment i need to use OFBIZ as an ecommerce webapp that interfaces to
> a legacy warehouse management application. (As a further step we aim to
> replace the whole ERP)
>
> I have configured a couple of entitities and built a view-entity to access
> the legacy database and I have now all the information I need to populate
> the OFBIZ inventory.
>
> Where could I start from to build a task that every night scans the legacy
> db and updates the OFBIZ inventory?
> How to scan all entities and for each one perform a task?
> Is there a service I can call to set/update the product availability?
>
> Many thanks for any hint.
>
> - Bruno

Re: How to automatically update inventory ?

Bruno Busco
BJ,
thank you for your suggestion...
to be sincere i am not sure to have well understood how this could be done.

In any case i do not want to delete and rebuild the DB but i am looking for
the cleanest way to update a facility inventory using a script and taking
the information from an external db.

Any pointer to the closest example to what i nedd to do?

Many thanks
- Bruno

2008/4/1, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>:

> Just a thought any thing you use will effect other modules like
> accounting.
> so if at some point you are going to delete and rebuild the DB for ofbiz
> you will have a large task on your hands.
> you may want to write your own service directly effects the information
> you are making a copy of in ofbiz.
>
> Bruno Busco sent the following on 3/31/2008 2:27 PM:
>
> > Hi All,
> > for the moment i need to use OFBIZ as an ecommerce webapp that
> interfaces to
> > a legacy warehouse management application. (As a further step we aim to
> > replace the whole ERP)
> >
> > I have configured a couple of entitities and built a view-entity to
> access
> > the legacy database and I have now all the information I need to
> populate
> > the OFBIZ inventory.
> >
> > Where could I start from to build a task that every night scans the
> legacy
> > db and updates the OFBIZ inventory?
> > How to scan all entities and for each one perform a task?
> > Is there a service I can call to set/update the product availability?
> >
> > Many thanks for any hint.
> >
> > - Bruno

Re: How to automatically update inventory ?

BJ Freeman
there maybe other suggestions:
these are mine
1) create a seperate service to read you external DB using then enitites
for those, and the service to update the ofbiz entity
2) write a helper that converts you entity to a map the service to
update ofbiz entities and calls then service to update the ofbiz entity.

Since you are using your own service and directly changing the entity, I
doubt you will fire and ecas.
look up one of the services that is schedule in the seed data and copy
one for your service.

Bruno Busco sent the following on 4/1/2008 9:54 AM:

> BJ,
> thank you for your suggestion...
> to be sincere i am not sure to have well understood how this could be done.
>
> In any case i do not want to delete and rebuild the DB but i am looking for
> the cleanest way to update a facility inventory using a script and taking
> the information from an external db.
>
> Any pointer to the closest example to what i nedd to do?
>
> Many thanks
> - Bruno
>
> 2008/4/1, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>:
>> Just a thought any thing you use will effect other modules like
>> accounting.
>> so if at some point you are going to delete and rebuild the DB for ofbiz
>> you will have a large task on your hands.
>> you may want to write your own service directly effects the information
>> you are making a copy of in ofbiz.
>>
>> Bruno Busco sent the following on 3/31/2008 2:27 PM:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> for the moment i need to use OFBIZ as an ecommerce webapp that
>> interfaces to
>>> a legacy warehouse management application. (As a further step we aim to
>>> replace the whole ERP)
>>>
>>> I have configured a couple of entitities and built a view-entity to
>> access
>>> the legacy database and I have now all the information I need to
>> populate
>>> the OFBIZ inventory.
>>>
>>> Where could I start from to build a task that every night scans the
>> legacy
>>> db and updates the OFBIZ inventory?
>>> How to scan all entities and for each one perform a task?
>>> Is there a service I can call to set/update the product availability?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any hint.
>>>
>>> - Bruno

Re: How to automatically update inventory ?

Bruno Busco
Thank you for your quick replay,
i will study [ i really need to study ;-) ] and elaborate on your
suggestions.
- Bruno