Ideas about editing orders

Jacopo Cappellato
In my opinion, one of the areas in which OFBiz could be greatly improved
is the order editing process in general.
The existing services and screens are well suited for sporadic changes
to already created orders, but they are not good enough when you need
more control over what you are doing or for use cases where orders are
big and complex and they are created and edited in multiple sessions.

I see two good path we could follow (and they are not mutually exclusive):

1) improve/enhance the edit quote screens; this will mostly address the
use case of complex orders; all the work will be done in the quote and
when it is good enough it will be transformed into a real order; however
we will need to enhance many aspects of the quotes (to take into account
billing/shipping addresses, geo rules, taxes, shipping costs etc...)

2) create new screens (e.g. adding new subscreens to the view order
screen) and services to edit order items, adjustments, addresses and
contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions, shipment
groups and reservations, etc...

For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I think
we should find a way to disable all the services running by ecas; the
best way of doing this is probably that of using a special flag (or
status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on hold": if the
order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the flag/status will
be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and all the issues will
be shown in an screen ("issues with the current order") so that the user
can fix them before releasing the order.

Does it make any sense?

Re: Ideas about editing orders

Iain Fogg
Jacopo,

I would love to see more flexible handling of orders - I don't use
quotes so cannot comment on the value of going down that path. I have to
modify orders all the time and I find the existing functionality a
little bit inadequate. A couple of examples are:

1) Being able to perform only one insertion/deletion per "call" to Edit
Items
2) When an existing item quantity is changed requirement handling
generates a whole new requirement (in addition to the previous one),
instead of either adjusting the existing requirement or creating a new
one and deleting the old one.

I haven't really thought this through completely, but these are a couple
of areas where improvement would really help me.

I look forward to seeing everyone's feedback on your proposal.

Cheers, Iain

PS. If we're building wish lists of functionality, I'd really like to
see the possibility of merging orders.

PPS. This is getting a little bit further from the core topic, but
another useful feature would be the ability to invoice from multiple
orders. This is a very frequent occurence for me, because a customer
might have 4 sales orders, and fulfillment can result in bits and pieces
of different orders being made available at different times, but the
customer doesn't want to get 4 different invoices just because the items
are from different sales orders.

PPPS. I'll go now.

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> In my opinion, one of the areas in which OFBiz could be greatly
> improved is the order editing process in general.
> The existing services and screens are well suited for sporadic changes
> to already created orders, but they are not good enough when you need
> more control over what you are doing or for use cases where orders are
> big and complex and they are created and edited in multiple sessions.
>
> I see two good path we could follow (and they are not mutually
> exclusive):
>
> 1) improve/enhance the edit quote screens; this will mostly address
> the use case of complex orders; all the work will be done in the quote
> and when it is good enough it will be transformed into a real order;
> however we will need to enhance many aspects of the quotes (to take
> into account billing/shipping addresses, geo rules, taxes, shipping
> costs etc...)
>
> 2) create new screens (e.g. adding new subscreens to the view order
> screen) and services to edit order items, adjustments, addresses and
> contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions, shipment
> groups and reservations, etc...
>
> For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I
> think we should find a way to disable all the services running by
> ecas; the best way of doing this is probably that of using a special
> flag (or status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on
> hold": if the order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the
> flag/status will be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and
> all the issues will be shown in an screen ("issues with the current
> order") so that the user can fix them before releasing the order.
>
> Does it make any sense?
>
> Jacopo

REMOVE ME

PhantomsHorridC
REMOVE ME

---------------------------------

Iain Fogg wrote:
> [...]
> PPS. This is getting a little bit further from the core topic, but
> another useful feature would be the ability to invoice from multiple
> orders. This is a very frequent occurence for me, because a customer
> might have 4 sales orders, and fulfillment can result in bits and pieces
> of different orders being made available at different times, but the
> customer doesn't want to get 4 different invoices just because the items
> are from different sales orders.

The good news here is that a few months ago I've committed a patch to
allow multi-orders invoices.
The bad news is that there is no way right now to trigger that event,
not using the user interface by the way. However both the invoice
service and the invoice pdf already support multi-orders (or more
exactly multiple shipments, possibly associated to different orders, in
the same invoice)

Re: REMOVE ME

Tim Ruppert
That's [hidden email] not [hidden email]

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

On May 24, 2007, at 6:00 AM, PhantomsHorridC wrote:

REMOVE ME

---------------------------------

Re: REMOVE ME

PhantomsHorridC
I tried removing myself a few times i still get this mail..

 so..

 i'll continue

---------------------------------

Re: REMOVE ME

David E Jones

One of the more common problems is sending your email from a different email address than the one subscribed to the list. It appears that "[hidden email]" is going to the list successfully so that is most likely the one you are subscribed with.

Still, if that's not working then it must be a different email address.

So, are you getting no response from the mail server?

-David

PhantomsHorridC wrote:
> I tried removing myself a few times i still get this mail..
>
>  so..
>
>  i'll continue
>

> ---------------------------------
>  Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your freeaccount today.

Re: Ideas about editing orders

Iain Fogg
Jacopo,

That sounds excellent. It would be great to help work on a way to expose
that functionality in the UI.

Unfortunately, I'm still on a version of OFBiz about 5 months old, but
this thread has encouraged me to make an upgrade plan so I can help.

Cheers, Iain

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Iain Fogg wrote:
>> [...]
>> PPS. This is getting a little bit further from the core topic, but
>> another useful feature would be the ability to invoice from multiple
>> orders. This is a very frequent occurence for me, because a customer
>> might have 4 sales orders, and fulfillment can result in bits and
>> pieces of different orders being made available at different times,
>> but the customer doesn't want to get 4 different invoices just
>> because the items are from different sales orders.
>>

> The good news here is that a few months ago I've committed a patch to
> allow multi-orders invoices.
> The bad news is that there is no way right now to trigger that event,
> not using the user interface by the way. However both the invoice
> service and the invoice pdf already support multi-orders (or more
> exactly multiple shipments, possibly associated to different orders,
> in the same invoice)
>
> Jacopo

Re: REMOVE ME

PhantomsHorridC
the email address is a yahoo account and i am sending from the yahoo website..

i just can't seam to get removed i tried login on to the site and my email isn't registered!!..
i registered and then removed.. still no luck.. i have sent endless emails.. nothing seams to work!

---------------------------------

Re: Ideas about editing orders

David E Jones

Was going to write more but I guess I should at least get something out!

My general opinion is that the order screen enhancements are a better approach. I don't think we need or want quotes to be so complex and try to reproduce the incredible amount of stuff in the order model and functionality.

-David

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> In my opinion, one of the areas in which OFBiz could be greatly improved
> is the order editing process in general.
> The existing services and screens are well suited for sporadic changes
> to already created orders, but they are not good enough when you need
> more control over what you are doing or for use cases where orders are
> big and complex and they are created and edited in multiple sessions.
>
> I see two good path we could follow (and they are not mutually exclusive):
>
> 1) improve/enhance the edit quote screens; this will mostly address the
> use case of complex orders; all the work will be done in the quote and
> when it is good enough it will be transformed into a real order; however
> we will need to enhance many aspects of the quotes (to take into account
> billing/shipping addresses, geo rules, taxes, shipping costs etc...)
>
> 2) create new screens (e.g. adding new subscreens to the view order
> screen) and services to edit order items, adjustments, addresses and
> contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions, shipment
> groups and reservations, etc...
>
> For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I think
> we should find a way to disable all the services running by ecas; the
> best way of doing this is probably that of using a special flag (or
> status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on hold": if the
> order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the flag/status will
> be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and all the issues will
> be shown in an screen ("issues with the current order") so that the user
> can fix them before releasing the order.
>
> Does it make any sense?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Ideas about editing orders

cjhowe
David,
If you get the opportunity, could you please expand on it why you would
want prevent the quote from having additional functionality?  Thanks!
-Chris

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was going to write more but I guess I should at least get something
> out!
>
> My general opinion is that the order screen enhancements are a better
> approach. I don't think we need or want quotes to be so complex and
> try to reproduce the incredible amount of stuff in the order model
> and functionality.
>
> -David
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > In my opinion, one of the areas in which OFBiz could be greatly
> improved
> > is the order editing process in general.
> > The existing services and screens are well suited for sporadic
> changes
> > to already created orders, but they are not good enough when you
> need
> > more control over what you are doing or for use cases where orders
> are
> > big and complex and they are created and edited in multiple
> sessions.
> >
> > I see two good path we could follow (and they are not mutually
> exclusive):
> >
> > 1) improve/enhance the edit quote screens; this will mostly address
> the
> > use case of complex orders; all the work will be done in the quote
> and
> > when it is good enough it will be transformed into a real order;
> however
> > we will need to enhance many aspects of the quotes (to take into
> account
> > billing/shipping addresses, geo rules, taxes, shipping costs
> etc...)
> >
> > 2) create new screens (e.g. adding new subscreens to the view order
>
> > screen) and services to edit order items, adjustments, addresses
> and
> > contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions,
> shipment
> > groups and reservations, etc...
> >
> > For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I
> think
> > we should find a way to disable all the services running by ecas;
> the
> > best way of doing this is probably that of using a special flag (or
>
> > status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on hold": if
> the
> > order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the flag/status
> will
> > be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and all the issues
> will
> > be shown in an screen ("issues with the current order") so that the
> user
> > can fix them before releasing the order.
> >
> > Does it make any sense?
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Ideas about editing orders

David E Jones

I did not say I wanted to "prevent the quote from having additional functionality", so I'm not sure how to answer this....

-David

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>>> contact mechs, payment preferences and payment transactions,
>> shipment
>>> groups and reservations, etc...
>>>
>>> For #2, in order to have a greater control of what is happening, I
>> think
>>> we should find a way to disable all the services running by ecas;
>> the
>>> best way of doing this is probably that of using a special flag (or
>>> status) on the order to mark it as a "work-in-progress/on hold": if
>> the
>>> order is in this status no eca will run; as soon as the flag/status
>> will
>>> be removed all the checks/ecas will be executed and all the issues
>> will
>>> be shown in an screen ("issues with the current order") so that the
>> user
>>> can fix them before releasing the order.

You mentioned that you were going to write more but at least wanted to
get something out.  I took this to mean that you have more to say on
the topic, just not the time.  When you have the opportunity and if you
had more to say on it, could you please circle back around?  As far as
"prevent..additional functionality", I mean why do you not want them to
be so complex?  I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did not say I wanted to "prevent the quote from having additional
> functionality", so I'm not sure how to answer this....
>
> -David
>

> Chris Howe wrote:
> > David,
> > If you get the opportunity, could you please expand on it why you
> would
> > want prevent the quote from having additional functionality?
> Thanks!
> > -Chris
> >
> > --- David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Was going to write more but I guess I should at least get
> something
> >> out!
> >>
> >> My general opinion is that the order screen enhancements are a
> better
> >> approach. I don't think we need or want quotes to be so complex
> and
> >> try to reproduce the incredible amount of stuff in the order model
> >> and functionality.
> >>
> >> -David

> >> improved
> >> changes
> >> need
> orders
> >> are
> >> sessions.
> >> exclusive):
> address
> >> the
> quote
> >> and
> >> however
> >> account
> >> etc...)
> order
> >> and
> >> shipment

> >> think
> >> the
> (or
> if
> >> the
> flag/status
> >> will
> issues
> >> will
> the
> >> user

Re: Ideas about editing orders

Ean Schuessler
On Thursday 07 June 2007 02:31:23 am David E Jones wrote:
> Was going to write more but I guess I should at least get something out!
>
> My general opinion is that the order screen enhancements are a better
> approach. I don't think we need or want quotes to be so complex and try to
> reproduce the incredible amount of stuff in the order model and
> functionality.

I tend to agree but am still only half educated. After looking over quotes and
shopping lists (especially with configurablish looking products) I decided
that manipulating orders in a "preorder" state was the thing that looked most
attractive to me. Our goal is to have the customer edit the orders so the
interface is going to be very, very easy to use.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]