Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Nicolas Malin-2
Hello,

During my refactoring to introduce the common-theme I saw that we
currently manage on the framework a variable naming javaScriptEnabled to
indicate if a user want or not use the javascipt.
This functionality has been introduction by Adrian in 2008 (1) and I not
found the origin thread (2) (maybe pre-apache)

Now I didn't see why we keep this on the framework for two reasons:
* With Html5, without javascript we haven't operational screen
* If we don't want javascript for a specific case, we can create a
dedicate theme for that and simplify the current code.

Do you have a reason to keep the management of javaScriptEnabled ? Or I
can start the cleaning ?

Cheers,
Nicolas
(1) http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=655712
(2)
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@...:lte=1M:javaScriptEnabled
--
logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/>
        Nicolas Malin

Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way
<http://theapacheway.com/>|ofbiz-fr <http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/>|réseau LE
<http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Paul Foxworthy
Hi Nicolas,

Adrian said something about this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1648 .

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

On 29 August 2017 at 07:46, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> During my refactoring to introduce the common-theme I saw that we
> currently manage on the framework a variable naming javaScriptEnabled to
> indicate if a user want or not use the javascipt.
> This functionality has been introduction by Adrian in 2008 (1) and I not
> found the origin thread (2) (maybe pre-apache)
>
> Now I didn't see why we keep this on the framework for two reasons:
> * With Html5, without javascript we haven't operational screen
> * If we don't want javascript for a specific case, we can create a
> dedicate theme for that and simplify the current code.
>
> Do you have a reason to keep the management of javaScriptEnabled ? Or I
> can start the cleaning ?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicolas
> (1) http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=655712
> (2) https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@...:lte=
> 1M:javaScriptEnabled
> --
> logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/>
>         Nicolas Malin
> The apache way <http://theapacheway.com/> : *Openness* Technical
> decisions are made publicly
> [hidden email]
> 8 rue des Déportés 37000 TOURS, 02 47 50 30 54
>
> Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way <
> http://theapacheway.com/>|ofbiz-fr <http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/>|réseau LE <
> http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Paul Foxworthy
See also

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ffec3d998998db85655e1003f64268d52f9c7e9b6a4e537008e4b691@1295177952@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773
Cheltenham Vic 3192
Australia

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Hi Nicolas, Paul,

I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with Adrian then (2011)

See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks Paul)

Jacques

I we agree I'll close https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120 and subtasks as "won't fix"

> Hi Nicolas, Paul,
>
> I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with Adrian then (2011)
>
> See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks Paul)
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 29/08/2017 à 02:15, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
>> See also
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ffec3d998998db85655e1003f64268d52f9c7e9b6a4e537008e4b691@1295177952@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Paul Foxworthy
>>

>> On 29 August 2017 at 10:08, Paul Foxworthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nicolas,
>>>
>>> Adrian said something about this in https://issues.apache.org/
>>> jira/browse/OFBIZ-1648 .
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul Foxworthy

>>> --
>>> Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
>>> PO Box 2773
>>> Cheltenham Vic 3192
>>> Australia
>>>
>>> Phone: +61 3 9585 6788 <+61%203%209585%206788>
>>> Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
>>> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Nicolas Malin-2
Hi Paul, Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your return, this interesting threads confirm to manage the
javascript or not increase the code complexity. Now how we can manage it
by a specific theme, if no objection I will remove this complexity.

If we detect that impact some users, we restore this complexity on new
theme.

Nicolas

> I we agree I'll close https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120
> and subtasks as "won't fix"
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 29/08/2017 à 09:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> Hi Nicolas, Paul,
>>
>> I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with
>> Adrian then (2011)
>>
>> See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks
>> Paul)
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 29/08/2017 à 02:15, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
>>> See also
>>>
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ffec3d998998db85655e1003f64268d52f9c7e9b6a4e537008e4b691@1295177952@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul Foxworthy

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Hi Nicolas,

Let's try, but we should also check that the common-theme has not broke some features

Please see the issues broken by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9138

Le 30/08/2017 à 09:26, Nicolas Malin a écrit :

> Hi Paul, Hi Jacques,
>
> Thanks for your return, this interesting threads confirm to manage the javascript or not increase the code complexity. Now how we can manage it by a
> specific theme, if no objection I will remove this complexity.
>
> If we detect that impact some users, we restore this complexity on new theme.
>
> Nicolas
>

> Le 29/08/2017 à 11:36, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> I we agree I'll close https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120 and subtasks as "won't fix"
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 29/08/2017 à 09:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> Hi Nicolas, Paul,
>>>
>>> I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with Adrian then (2011)
>>>
>>> See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks Paul)
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Nicolas Malin-2
Yes Jacques I will help to fix them before

Nicolas

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Let's try, but we should also check that the common-theme has not
> broke some features
>
> Please see the issues broken by

> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:26, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
>> Hi Paul, Hi Jacques,
>>
>> Thanks for your return, this interesting threads confirm to manage
>> the javascript or not increase the code complexity. Now how we can
>> manage it by a specific theme, if no objection I will remove this
>> complexity.
>>
>> If we detect that impact some users, we restore this complexity on
>> new theme.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

>> Le 29/08/2017 à 11:36, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> I we agree I'll close
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120 and subtasks as
>>> "won't fix"
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Thanks Nicolas,

Much appreciated, I'll try to help also (I'm used to manually "bisect" svn ;))

Jacques

Le 30/08/2017 à 09:49, Nicolas Malin a écrit :

> Yes Jacques I will help to fix them before
>
> Nicolas
>

> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:39, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> Let's try, but we should also check that the common-theme has not broke some features
>>
>> Please see the issues broken by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9138
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:26, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
>>> Hi Paul, Hi Jacques,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your return, this interesting threads confirm to manage the javascript or not increase the code complexity. Now how we can manage it by
>>> a specific theme, if no objection I will remove this complexity.
>>>
>>> If we detect that impact some users, we restore this complexity on new theme.
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Done

> I we agree I'll close https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120 and subtasks as "won't fix"
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 29/08/2017 à 09:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> Hi Nicolas, Paul,
>>
>> I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with Adrian then (2011)
>>
>> See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks Paul)
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 29/08/2017 à 02:15, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :
>>> See also
>>>
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ffec3d998998db85655e1003f64268d52f9c7e9b6a4e537008e4b691@1295177952@%3Cdev.ofbiz.apache.org%3E
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul Foxworthy

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

Nicolas Malin-2
Ok I solved the different problem (I hope) with the common-theme
migration, I wait one week and if it's ok, I will remove it

Nicolas

> Thanks Nicolas,
>
> Much appreciated, I'll try to help also (I'm used to manually "bisect"
> svn ;))
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:49, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
>> Yes Jacques I will help to fix them before
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

>> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:39, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> Hi Nicolas,
>>>
>>> Let's try, but we should also check that the common-theme has not
>>> broke some features
>>>
>>> Please see the issues broken by
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9138
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

+1

Jacques

Le 31/08/2017 à 17:30, Nicolas Malin a écrit :

> Ok I solved the different problem (I hope) with the common-theme migration, I wait one week and if it's ok, I will remove it
>
> Nicolas
>

> Le 30/08/2017 à 10:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> Thanks Nicolas,
>>
>> Much appreciated, I'll try to help also (I'm used to manually "bisect" svn ;))
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> Le 30/08/2017 à 09:49, Nicolas Malin a écrit :
>>> Yes Jacques I will help to fix them before
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: Keep javaScriptEnabled manage on the framework ?

gareth.carter
Hi all

We patch to force JavaScript enabled always Y. I honestly can't see any good reason why it's in ofbiz now. Most widgets require the use of JavaScript. Most sites use javascript. It has actually caused us problems in the past where, for some reason, JavaScript enabled was set to Not even though it shouldn't have.

Get rid of it and let the themes handle if JavaScript is used

Gareth

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Gareth Carter

Software Development Analyst

Stannah Management Services Ltd

IT Department

Ext:

7036

DDI:

01264 364311

[http://logos.stannah.co.uk/stan150.jpg]

[http://logos.stannah.co.uk/enviro.jpg]Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Let's try, but we should also check that the common-theme has not broke some features

Please see the issues broken by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9138

Le 30/08/2017 à 09:26, Nicolas Malin a écrit :

> Hi Paul, Hi Jacques,
>
> Thanks for your return, this interesting threads confirm to manage the javascript or not increase the code complexity. Now how we can manage it by a
> specific theme, if no objection I will remove this complexity.
>
> If we detect that impact some users, we restore this complexity on new theme.
>
> Nicolas
>

> Le 29/08/2017 à 11:36, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> I we agree I'll close https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4120 and subtasks as "won't fix"
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 29/08/2017 à 09:21, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>> Hi Nicolas, Paul,
>>>
>>> I got to the same conclusion than Nicolas after discussing with Adrian then (2011)
>>>
>>> See last of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4121 (thanks Paul)
>>>
>>> Jacques

To report this email as spam, please send the original message, complete with headers to [hidden email]

This email is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have received it in error, please delete it and notify the sender.

Stannah Lift Holdings Ltd registered No. 686996, Stannah Management Services Ltd registered No. 2483693, Stannah Lift Services Ltd registered No. 1189799, Stannah Microlifts Ltd registered No. 964804, Stannah Lifts Ltd registered No. 1189836, Stannah Stairlifts Ltd registered No. 1401451, Global Upholstery Solutions Ltd registered No. 02452728.

All registered offices at Watt Close, East Portway, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 3SD, England.

All Registered in England and Wales.