Manufacturing module - warehouses or plants?

Manufacturing module - warehouses or plants?

Kevin M. Myer-2
Hello,

Under facilities, I have two plants and two warehouses defined.  When
I am in the Manufacturing module, I can create or search for
production runs, and use available Facility IDs.  However, the only
facilities that show up here are my warehouses.  I guess I'm a little
confused on the terminology and am wondering what the significance of
plant is, within OFBiz.  In my mind, you make stuff in plants, and you
store stuff in warehouses.  You don't make stuff in warehouses
(although you may have a combo warehouse/plant, but these could be
modeled as two separate entities).

I'd like to be able to schedule production runs in plants, and then do
inventory transfers to warehouses, based on production runs.  However,
to do that now (unless I have missed something in configuration), I'd
have to treat my plants as warehouses.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Manufacturing module - warehouses or plants?

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Kevin,

the processes to implement this are still not implemented; see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-198 for some details.
If you are going to implement (and contribute back) something like this
I'd me more than to help you to draft out the required mods.

Jacopo

Kevin M. Myer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Under facilities, I have two plants and two warehouses defined.  When
> I am in the Manufacturing module, I can create or search for
> production runs, and use available Facility IDs.  However, the only
> facilities that show up here are my warehouses.  I guess I'm a little
> confused on the terminology and am wondering what the significance of
> plant is, within OFBiz.  In my mind, you make stuff in plants, and you
> store stuff in warehouses.  You don't make stuff in warehouses
> (although you may have a combo warehouse/plant, but these could be
> modeled as two separate entities).
>
> I'd like to be able to schedule production runs in plants, and then do
> inventory transfers to warehouses, based on production runs.  However,
> to do that now (unless I have missed something in configuration), I'd
> have to treat my plants as warehouses.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Re: Manufacturing module - warehouses or plants?

Kevin M. Myer-2
Thanks for pointing the JIRA issue out.  At this point, I am just
evaluating the framework and trying to determine existing,
out-of-the-box capabilities.  My exposure to Java programming has only
been on the deployment end of a finished app, to this point, so I
doubt I'd be contributing something this major back (a better route
would probably be sponsorship).

I think I can make the existing functionality work, although support
for multiple facilities would certainly help things in the long run.

But support for multiple facilities aside, why is it that only
facilities that are a type of warehouse show up in the manufacturing
module, instead of plants?

Kevin

On 12/28/06, Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> the processes to implement this are still not implemented; see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-198 for some details.
> If you are going to implement (and contribute back) something like this
> I'd me more than to help you to draft out the required mods.
>
> Jacopo
>
> Kevin M. Myer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Under facilities, I have two plants and two warehouses defined.  When
> > I am in the Manufacturing module, I can create or search for
> > production runs, and use available Facility IDs.  However, the only
> > facilities that show up here are my warehouses.  I guess I'm a little
> > confused on the terminology and am wondering what the significance of
> > plant is, within OFBiz.  In my mind, you make stuff in plants, and you
> > store stuff in warehouses.  You don't make stuff in warehouses
> > (although you may have a combo warehouse/plant, but these could be
> > modeled as two separate entities).
> >
> > I'd like to be able to schedule production runs in plants, and then do
> > inventory transfers to warehouses, based on production runs.  However,
> > to do that now (unless I have missed something in configuration), I'd
> > have to treat my plants as warehouses.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin

Re: Manufacturing module - warehouses or plants?

Scott Gray
The Warehouse is specified as that is where the raw materials are taken
from and the finished goods delivered to, which I guess is more
important to the system than where the goods are manufactured.

Regards
Scott