New to OFBiz

Andrew-199
Hi All

I've been looking at ofbiz recently to replace an old automotive used parts inventory system that ran as an application on the client. At a location data is shared via a single mysql database on the server on the site.

The main features of ofbiz we require are the inventory and account management systems.
ie in ofbiz terms,
Facilities to setup the inventory and receiving of stock.
Party Manager to set up the suppliers, clients and other contact details.
Catalog to set up the products. Which I need to figure out how to import vehicles and parts as these will mostly be standard for all clients.

So the main functionality we require is already in ofbiz. Everything extra is just gravy.
I expect the main areas that would need to be written are some level of enhancement to the inventory system to handle used parts. However as far as I can tell ofbiz does have specific items stored so I can store say a specific honda civic bonnet with a dent it in. Where make (honda), model (civic) are features.
I still need to understand the way the ofbiz inventory system works more to say what would store the dent, ie just a description and quality (a = perfect, b = damaged etc).

The other main work is in the UI. I only want a limited set of the normal functionality to make it as simple and similar to the old program so the current user base is as comfortable as possible.
I'm not sure what is the best way to achieve this. My present assumption is to create a new application in hotdeploy with new UI pointing back to the same functions as the main ofbiz application. I think this means I also need to include some of the ecommerce functionality as we do want to sell parts but it will only be operated by staff. (is there another way to sell products?)

So there is my quick introduction.
Any comments to help my initial thoughts?
I welcome suggestions as to how to progress or other directions I may have missed.
I have seen mention in the mailing lists about automotive and second-hand parts in ofbiz and would love to hear if there was anyone with more experience developing in these areas.

Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: New to OFBiz

BJ Freeman
Welcome and it sounds like you have done some homework.
you can import a couple of ways.
1) if you have the old database you can use it and write routines to
import from the old tables into ofbiz.
2) you can use an xml tranform to import disemlar data into entities.
3) you can write an import routine that reads the data then performs the
 routines that would be if a person is inputting by hand.
the feature of a product is for things like color, size, even condition.
UI is done thru Widgets and FTl. you may get different recommendations,
I turned off all the tabs and created my own app that my clients use.
I have not implemented in ofbiz, but implement both parts store an
wrecking yard systems.

Andrew sent the following on 12/12/2007 9:16 PM:

> Hi All
>
> I've been looking at ofbiz recently to replace an old automotive used parts inventory system that ran as an application on the client. At a location data is shared via a single mysql database on the server on the site.
>
> The main features of ofbiz we require are the inventory and account management systems.
> ie in ofbiz terms,
> Facilities to setup the inventory and receiving of stock.
> Party Manager to set up the suppliers, clients and other contact details.
> Catalog to set up the products. Which I need to figure out how to import vehicles and parts as these will mostly be standard for all clients.
>
> So the main functionality we require is already in ofbiz. Everything extra is just gravy.
> I expect the main areas that would need to be written are some level of enhancement to the inventory system to handle used parts. However as far as I can tell ofbiz does have specific items stored so I can store say a specific honda civic bonnet with a dent it in. Where make (honda), model (civic) are features.
> I still need to understand the way the ofbiz inventory system works more to say what would store the dent, ie just a description and quality (a = perfect, b = damaged etc).
>
> The other main work is in the UI. I only want a limited set of the normal functionality to make it as simple and similar to the old program so the current user base is as comfortable as possible.
> I'm not sure what is the best way to achieve this. My present assumption is to create a new application in hotdeploy with new UI pointing back to the same functions as the main ofbiz application. I think this means I also need to include some of the ecommerce functionality as we do want to sell parts but it will only be operated by staff. (is there another way to sell products?)
>
> So there is my quick introduction.
> Any comments to help my initial thoughts?
> I welcome suggestions as to how to progress or other directions I may have missed.
> I have seen mention in the mailing lists about automotive and second-hand parts in ofbiz and would love to hear if there was anyone with more experience developing in these areas.
>
> Thanks
>

>       ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: New to OFBiz

Adrian Crum
Andrew wrote:
> The other main work is in the UI. I only want a limited set of the normal functionality to make it as simple and similar to the old program so the current user base is as comfortable as possible.
> I'm not sure what is the best way to achieve this. My present assumption is to create a new application in hotdeploy with new UI pointing back to the same functions as the main ofbiz application. I think this means I also need to include some of the ecommerce functionality as we do want to sell parts but it will only be operated by staff. (is there another way to sell products?)

The Asset Maintenance and POS components are good examples of how to wrap a task-specific UI around
existing OFBiz entities and services.

-Adrian

Re: New to OFBiz

De : "Andrew" <[hidden email]>
>I think this means I also need to include some of the ecommerce functionality as we do want to sell parts but it will only be
operated by staff. (is there another way to sell products?)

I think the order manager is better suited to your need (see Order Entry)

Jacques