OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

J Aaron Farr
Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
project.  Some notes:

 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair
 2. Please review my wording of the scope of OFBiz in the first 3 paragraphs
 3. There is a board meeting tomorrow, so the earliest this resolution
will be on the
     agenda is December 20th.

       open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
       distribution at no charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Open For Business
       Project", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of
       the Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Open For Business Project be and
       hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
       software related to enterprise automation such as enterprise
       resource planning, customer relationship management, materials
       requirements planning, enterprise asset management and
       e-commerce.

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
       Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
       office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
       the chair of the Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
       primary responsibility for management of the projects within
       the scope of responsibility of the Apache Open For Business
       Project; and be it further

       Apache Open For Business Project:

         * David E. Jones     ([hidden email])
         * Andy Zeneski       ([hidden email])
         * Si Chen       ([hidden email])
         * Al Byers       ([hidden email])
         * Jacopo Cappellato  ([hidden email])
         * Hans Bakker        ([hidden email])
         * Jacques Le Roux    ([hidden email])

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ${PMC_CHAIR} be
       and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
       For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
       direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
       further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
       and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
       intended to encourage open development and increased
       participation in the Open For Business Project; and be it
       further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
       and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
       the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
       further

       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
       Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
       Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.

  jaaron

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

David E Jones-2

J. Aaron,

Thanks, this looks good. Notes below.

On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:23 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
> project.  Some notes:
>
> 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair

This has been discussed with me as the initial candidate. I'm happy
to take this on, or in a way continue in this role. Is this something
we need to vote on as a community, or more of something we propose
and the board reviews and accepts?

> 2. Please review my wording of the scope of OFBiz in the first 3
> paragraphs

This looks just fine and is consistent with existing descriptions of
OFBiz (de-acronym-ized, of course). It might be nice to add content
management as a specifically mentioned area, and perhaps make it
clear that the scope is fairly large related to enterprise
information by using something like "general" in front of the
"enterprise automation".

> 3. There is a board meeting tomorrow, so the earliest this resolution
> will be on the
>     agenda is December 20th.

This is fine, and good in a way as it would be nice to have some time
to get ready for a real branched release so we can have that
available soon after the graduation. If people are looking into OFBiz
around the time of the graduation, it would be nice to have something
for them to more easily look at.

-David

>       WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>       open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
>       distribution at no charge to the public.
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Open For Business
>       Project", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of
>       the Foundation; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Open For Business Project be and
>       hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
>       software related to enterprise automation such as enterprise
>       resource planning, customer relationship management, materials
>       requirements planning, enterprise asset management and
>       e-commerce.
>
>       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
>       Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
>       office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
>       the chair of the Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
>       primary responsibility for management of the projects within
>       the scope of responsibility of the Apache Open For Business
>       Project; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>       hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>       Apache Open For Business Project:
>
>         * David E. Jones     ([hidden email])
>         * Andy Zeneski       ([hidden email])
>         * Si Chen       ([hidden email])
>         * Al Byers       ([hidden email])
>         * Jacopo Cappellato  ([hidden email])
>         * Hans Bakker        ([hidden email])
>         * Jacques Le Roux    ([hidden email])
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ${PMC_CHAIR} be
>       and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
>       For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
>       direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
>       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
>       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>       and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
>       intended to encourage open development and increased
>       participation in the Open For Business Project; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>       and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
>       the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>       Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
>       Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.

>  jaaron

Re: Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

J Aaron Farr
On 11/14/06, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:23 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
> > Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
> > project.  Some notes:
> >
> > 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair
>
> This has been discussed with me as the initial candidate. I'm happy
> to take this on, or in a way continue in this role. Is this something
> we need to vote on as a community, or more of something we propose
> and the board reviews and accepts?

It's up to the community.  If there is consensus amongst the
committers then no vote is really necessary (it would be implied by
support of resolution).  If anyone feels more comfortable with a
formal nomination and voting period, feel free to go ahead.

> > 2. Please review my wording of the scope of OFBiz in the first 3
> > paragraphs
>
> This looks just fine and is consistent with existing descriptions of
> OFBiz (de-acronym-ized, of course). It might be nice to add content
> management as a specifically mentioned area, and perhaps make it
> clear that the scope is fairly large related to enterprise
> information by using something like "general" in front of the
> "enterprise automation".

Can do.  The only thing to be careful of is to not make it too
general.  We tend to be cautious about that so that each project has a
clear purpose and intention.

  jaaron

On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:55 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> On 11/14/06, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:23 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>> > 2. Please review my wording of the scope of OFBiz in the first 3
>> > paragraphs
>>
>> This looks just fine and is consistent with existing descriptions of
>> OFBiz (de-acronym-ized, of course). It might be nice to add content
>> management as a specifically mentioned area, and perhaps make it
>> clear that the scope is fairly large related to enterprise
>> information by using something like "general" in front of the
>> "enterprise automation".
>
> Can do.  The only thing to be careful of is to not make it too
> general.  We tend to be cautious about that so that each project has a
> clear purpose and intention.

The main thing that limits the scope right now in OFBiz is keeping in
"general" or "generic". In other words, it has the data model,
general services, and general user interfaces that can be used to
build up an enterprise system. This means that "users" will generally
either customize it and build something on top of it, or tolerate
that fact that it is frustratingly generic sometimes.

How to represent this in a brief project description is another
question... Perhaps using the terms general and generic together
would fit the bill?

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

David E Jones-2

On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:55 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> On 11/14/06, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:23 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>>
>> > Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
>> > project.  Some notes:
>> >
>> > 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair
>>
>> This has been discussed with me as the initial candidate. I'm happy
>> to take this on, or in a way continue in this role. Is this something
>> we need to vote on as a community, or more of something we propose
>> and the board reviews and accepts?
>
> It's up to the community.  If there is consensus amongst the
> committers then no vote is really necessary (it would be implied by
> support of resolution).  If anyone feels more comfortable with a
> formal nomination and voting period, feel free to go ahead.

I was hoping someone would comment on this so I don't have to speak
for myself...

Anyway, I think we had a consensus before though I don't think we
voted on it (I found a few messages related to this but no vote).
Unless there are objections to this or someone would like a vote, I'd
say throw it in.

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

Andrew Zeneski
I think this best for the project. If a vote is needed +1 from me.

Andy

On Nov 14, 2006, at 9:55 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

>> > 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair
>>
>> This has been discussed with me as the initial candidate. I'm happy
>> to take this on, or in a way continue in this role. Is this something
>> we need to vote on as a community, or more of something we propose
>> and the board reviews and accepts?
>
> It's up to the community.  If there is consensus amongst the
> committers then no vote is really necessary (it would be implied by
> support of resolution).  If anyone feels more comfortable with a
> formal nomination and voting period, feel free to go ahead.

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

I agree : +1

Jacques

From: "A. Zeneski" <[hidden email]>

> I think this best for the project. If a vote is needed +1 from me.
>
> Andy

> >> This has been discussed with me as the initial candidate. I'm happy
> >> to take this on, or in a way continue in this role. Is this something
> >> we need to vote on as a community, or more of something we propose
> >> and the board reviews and accepts?
> >
> > It's up to the community.  If there is consensus amongst the
> > committers then no vote is really necessary (it would be implied by
> > support of resolution).  If anyone feels more comfortable with a
> > formal nomination and voting period, feel free to go ahead.

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

J. Aaron,

thanks for your great help.
Please see my comments inline:

J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
> project.  Some notes:
>
> 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair

In my opinion, David Jones should be the PMC Chair, for a huge lot of
reasons, including that he is one of the founders of the project, he is
one of the more active committers, he has an amazing overall vision of
the project and most of all he is already 'naturally' playing this role.

See below for further comments:

> 2. Please review my wording of the scope of OFBiz in the first 3 paragraphs
> 3. There is a board meeting tomorrow, so the earliest this resolution
> will be on the
>     agenda is December 20th.
>

>       WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>       open-source software related to enterprise automation, for
>       distribution at no charge to the public.
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Open For Business
>       Project", be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of
>       the Foundation; and be it further

Should we insert here also the "OFBiz" acronym? Something like:
"...to be known as the "Apache Open For Business Project" ("OFBiz")..."

See below for further comments:

>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Open For Business Project be and
>       hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
>       software related to enterprise automation such as enterprise
>       resource planning, customer relationship management, materials
>       requirements planning, enterprise asset management and
>       e-commerce.
>
>       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Open For
>       Business" be and hereby is created, the person holding such
>       office to serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as
>       the chair of the Apache Open For Business Project, and to have
>       primary responsibility for management of the projects within
>       the scope of responsibility of the Apache Open For Business
>       Project; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>       hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>       Apache Open For Business Project:
>
>         * David E. Jones     ([hidden email])
>         * Andy Zeneski       ([hidden email])
>         * Si Chen            ([hidden email])
>         * Al Byers            ([hidden email])
>         * Jacopo Cappellato  ([hidden email])
>         * Hans Bakker        ([hidden email])
>         * Jacques Le Roux    ([hidden email])

Is this the list of initial committers, or PMC members? If it is the
former then it's correct; if it is the latter, then I think we should
discuss a bit more about it (and I really don't know if we should do
this in this list or privately). The main points I'd like to discuss are
this:

a) (in my opinion) the PMC members should be persons that are willing to
play this role and have time to manage the responsibilities and tasks
that derive from it

b) we should not mix the role of committer with the role of PMC member;
for example, should we consider to include in the initial PMC, at least
one member of the ASF? (i.e. one of our mentors, if interested) Another
example is Jacques: he is a young, active new committer that is helping
a lot the project but was voted as a committer, not PMC member

>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ${PMC_CHAIR} be
>       and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
>       For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
>       direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
>       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
>       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>       and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
>       intended to encourage open development and increased
>       participation in the Open For Business Project; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>       and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
>       the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
>       further
>
>       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>       Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
>       Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

Christian Geisert
Jacopo Cappellato schrieb:

[..]

> Is this the list of initial committers, or PMC members? If it is the
> former then it's correct; if it is the latter, then I think we should
> discuss a bit more about it (and I really don't know if we should do
> this in this list or privately). The main points I'd like to discuss are

Personal issues should be discussed on the private list.

> a) (in my opinion) the PMC members should be persons that are willing to
> play this role and have time to manage the responsibilities and tasks
> that derive from it

Yes, as the PMC is the entity that controls the project there should be
the people who care for long term success of the project.

> b) we should not mix the role of committer with the role of PMC member;
> for example, should we consider to include in the initial PMC, at least
> one member of the ASF? (i.e. one of our mentors, if interested) Another

This is a good idea (and it was an issue back when the XML Graphics
Project was founded as there where no members on the proposed PMC)

Christian

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

Shi Yusen
Is this an open talk? If so, I would say a word.

Congratulations!

As OFBiz is the top level project of Apache, I don't think there will be
any limitation on the area of enterprise systems. You are seeds (my
heroes as well) and Apache is the garden. We really hope the new OFBiz
project can grow out as many exciting subprojects as possible. Jakarta
is an amazing sample. Why not OFBiz?

Regards,

Shi Yusen/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

在 2006-11-14二的 20:07 -0700,David E Jones写道:

> On Nov 14, 2006, at 7:55 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> >> This looks just fine and is consistent with existing descriptions of
> >> OFBiz (de-acronym-ized, of course). It might be nice to add content
> >> management as a specifically mentioned area, and perhaps make it
> >> clear that the scope is fairly large related to enterprise
> >> information by using something like "general" in front of the
> >> "enterprise automation".
> >
> > Can do.  The only thing to be careful of is to not make it too
> > general.  We tend to be cautious about that so that each project has a
> > clear purpose and intention.
>
> The main thing that limits the scope right now in OFBiz is keeping in
> "general" or "generic". In other words, it has the data model,
> general services, and general user interfaces that can be used to
> build up an enterprise system. This means that "users" will generally
> either customize it and build something on top of it, or tolerate
> that fact that it is frustratingly generic sometimes.
>
> How to represent this in a brief project description is another
> question... Perhaps using the terms general and generic together
> would fit the bill?

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

Tim Ruppert
+1

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> J. Aaron,
>
> thanks for your great help.
> Please see my comments inline:
>
> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>> Below is a draft for the board resolution for an OFBiz top level
>> project.  Some notes:
>>
>> 1. The OFBiz community will need to select an initial PMC Chair
>
> In my opinion, David Jones should be the PMC Chair, for a huge lot of
> reasons, including that he is one of the founders of the project, he
> is one of the more active committers, he has an amazing overall vision
> of the project and most of all he is already 'naturally' playing this
> role.

+1 (as I said previously)

> [...]
>>         * Jacques Le Roux    ([hidden email])
>>

> Is this the list of initial committers, or PMC members? If it is the
> former then it's correct; if it is the latter, then I think we should
> discuss a bit more about it (and I really don't know if we should do
> this in this list or privately). The main points I'd like to discuss
> are this:
>
> a) (in my opinion) the PMC members should be persons that are willing
> to play this role and have time to manage the responsibilities and
> tasks that derive from it
>
> b) we should not mix the role of committer with the role of PMC
> member; for example, should we consider to include in the initial PMC,
> at least one member of the ASF? (i.e. one of our mentors, if
> interested) Another example is Jacques: he is a young, active new
> committer that is helping a lot the project but was voted as a

I think that Jacopo makes a great point here.  I'm not super familiar
with the Apache "standards" for this level of structure, but it seems to
me to have great merit keeping the committers and PMC members separate
for obvious reasons.

> Thanks,
>
> Jacopo
>
>>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that ${PMC_CHAIR} be
>>       and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Open
>>       For Business, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
>>       direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
>>       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
>>       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
>>       further
>>
>>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>>       and hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws
>>       intended to encourage open development and increased
>>       participation in the Open For Business Project; and be it
>>       further
>>
>>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Open For Business Project be
>>       and hereby is tasked with the migration and rationalization of
>>       the Apache Incubator Open For Business podling; and be it
>>       further
>>
>>       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>>       Incubator Open For Business podling encumbered upon the Apache
>>       Incubator PMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: OFBiz Board Resolution DRAFT

Chandresh Turakhia
I agree : +1