[OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

[OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

David E. Jones

This has been discussed a few times, though I think mostly in smaller
circles and not among the community more generally.

I think we should get serious about doing this soon as it clarifies a
lot of issues and puts in writing a lot of things that we do as a
general practice in OFBiz, like stating explicitly that contributions
to the project become the "property" of the project, which is a
concern for users of the software because they don't want to worry
about downloading an open source project that has contributions that
someone might go after them for using later on. The same thing
applies to contributions covered by a patent and such.

In general the reason for moving from MIT and Apache 2.0 is to make
end-users of the software feel more comfortable, so since 99% of us
are or represent end-users, I don't think we'll see too many objections.

For those who are wondering, the Apache licenses are derivatives of
the MIT/BSD camp, and NOT of the GPL camp. So, don't worry there is
no intention to ever move to a copy-left style licensing for OFBiz.
In my opinion that would kill the project since it is a community
oriented project and we don't want a single organization to control
the commercial reigns of the software. To make that more clear, even
though I understand that I might personally benefit from controlling
such reigns, I am not so ignorant or prideful (not that there is no
ignorance or pride in me... in fact I pride myself on my ignorance)
as to think that OFBiz is what it is because of me and I'm fully
aware that if I tried to do something like that I would get the short
end of the stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened
self-interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz
stays open for business, and not just open for internal use by
businesses.

The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on the
OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

This will involve a change of the license header of various thousands
of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so it's not an
easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been done yet...).
Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some feedback and/or
sharing of experiences with such things.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

Si Chen-2
David,

I think that the Apache license is a better license to use and would
personally support the change.

However, I do have one concern: there might be a legal subtlety which
could make the logistics complicated.  Because there was not a transfer
of copyright from contributors, I wonder if the contributors still
technically own the copyright on their portion of the work and have
simply granted it under the MIT Public License to the rest of us.  Thus,
to remove the existing copyright headers may technically violate the
license for that contributor's work.

Of course, if each contributor authorized this change of license for
their piece of the contribution, it would be fine.  I would be happy to
sign this myself.  Given the number of contributors over the years,
though, can we really go find all the contributors?  An alternative is
to paste the Apache copyright on top of the existing MIT License, or
just put the Apache license on new files.  But how would this look?
Maybe we need to get a legal opinion on this?

That's all.  Again, great idea - just concerned about legal subtleties.

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> This has been discussed a few times, though I think mostly in smaller
> circles and not among the community more generally.
>
> I think we should get serious about doing this soon as it clarifies a
> lot of issues and puts in writing a lot of things that we do as a
> general practice in OFBiz, like stating explicitly that contributions
> to the project become the "property" of the project, which is a
> concern for users of the software because they don't want to worry
> about downloading an open source project that has contributions that
> someone might go after them for using later on. The same thing
> applies to contributions covered by a patent and such.
>
> In general the reason for moving from MIT and Apache 2.0 is to make
> end-users of the software feel more comfortable, so since 99% of us
> are or represent end-users, I don't think we'll see too many objections.
>
> For those who are wondering, the Apache licenses are derivatives of
> the MIT/BSD camp, and NOT of the GPL camp. So, don't worry there is
> no intention to ever move to a copy-left style licensing for OFBiz.
> In my opinion that would kill the project since it is a community
> oriented project and we don't want a single organization to control
> the commercial reigns of the software. To make that more clear, even
> though I understand that I might personally benefit from controlling
> such reigns, I am not so ignorant or prideful (not that there is no
> ignorance or pride in me... in fact I pride myself on my ignorance)
> as to think that OFBiz is what it is because of me and I'm fully
> aware that if I tried to do something like that I would get the short
> end of the stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened
> self-interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz
> stays open for business, and not just open for internal use by
> businesses.
>
> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on the
> OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>
> This will involve a change of the license header of various thousands
> of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so it's not an
> easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been done yet...).
> Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some feedback and/or
> sharing of experiences with such things.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

David E. Jones

The general practice has been to NEVER change the copyright headers
in files. Various people have tried and I hope that we have made the
policy clear and asked for permission or a changed patch. If there
are any such issues we should take care of them NOW as this is a real
pain that will only get worse in the future.

As we go through replacing license headers we'll have to watch for
any file that has a copyright header other than for "The Open For
Business Project", and those we'll have to handle specially by either
contacting whoever managed to get their copyright header in there, or
tracing it back in the revision history and if necessary tossing the
changes... I'd rather rewrite code than have any such issue persist.

So, no, I don't think we have to contact everyone who has ever
contributed anything to OFBiz. I think the implication of
contribution and leaving the copyright header as-is, and our feedback
for those who haven't plus various postings clarifying the policy is
sufficient to determine that "The Open For Business Project" owns all
of the code. If I'm wrong, life is going to suck for a little while...

-David

On Sep 23, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> [...]
>> OFBiz is what it is because of me and I'm fully  aware that if I
>> tried to do something like that I would get the short  end of the
>> stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened  self-
>> interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz  stays
>> open for business, and not just open for internal use by  businesses.
>>
>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on
>> the  OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>>
>> This will involve a change of the license header of various
>> thousands  of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so
>> it's not an  easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been
>> done yet...).  Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate
>> some feedback and/or  sharing of experiences with such things.
>>
>> -David

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

My concern is actually that with a copyright header which says "The Open
For Business Project", the contributor still owns the copyright, as
there has never been a formal assignment of copyright to "The Open For
Business Project".  (See for example:
http://www.gnuenterprise.org/developers/copyleft.php)  This was a subtle
concept of "chain of title" in the Larry Rosen's book "Open Source
Licensing."

Honestly, though, I know I'm not a lawyer.  If we go ahead with this, I
think we should consult openbar.org or softwarefreedom and get a legal
opinion from them.  It probably is a good thing to do anyway.

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>> is because of me and I'm fully  aware that if I  tried to do
>>> something like that I would get the short  end of the  stick pretty
>>> quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened  self- interest" I'll
>>> always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz  stays  open for
>>> business, and not just open for internal use by  businesses.
>>>
>>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on
>>> the  OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>>>
>>> This will involve a change of the license header of various
>>> thousands  of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so
>>> it's not an  easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been
>>> done yet...).  Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate
>>> some feedback and/or  sharing of experiences with such things.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

when I first started this project, I ask if the MIT would ever be
changed or replaced.
there was an emphatic NO from you and andy.

So what says that you will eventually make all the contributions
proprietary, at some future date.

I am addressing your word, not the license.

David E. Jones sent the following on 9/23/05 4:53 PM:

> This has been discussed a few times, though I think mostly in smaller
> circles and not among the community more generally.
>
> I think we should get serious about doing this soon as it clarifies a
> lot of issues and puts in writing a lot of things that we do as a
> general practice in OFBiz, like stating explicitly that contributions
> to the project become the "property" of the project, which is a  concern
> for users of the software because they don't want to worry  about
> downloading an open source project that has contributions that  someone
> might go after them for using later on. The same thing  applies to
> contributions covered by a patent and such.
>
> In general the reason for moving from MIT and Apache 2.0 is to make
> end-users of the software feel more comfortable, so since 99% of us  are
> or represent end-users, I don't think we'll see too many objections.
>
> For those who are wondering, the Apache licenses are derivatives of  the
> MIT/BSD camp, and NOT of the GPL camp. So, don't worry there is  no
> intention to ever move to a copy-left style licensing for OFBiz.  In my
> opinion that would kill the project since it is a community  oriented
> project and we don't want a single organization to control  the
> commercial reigns of the software. To make that more clear, even  though
> I understand that I might personally benefit from controlling  such
> reigns, I am not so ignorant or prideful (not that there is no
> ignorance or pride in me... in fact I pride myself on my ignorance)  as
> to think that OFBiz is what it is because of me and I'm fully  aware
> that if I tried to do something like that I would get the short  end of
> the stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened
> self-interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz  stays
> open for business, and not just open for internal use by  businesses.
>
> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on the
> OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>
> This will involve a change of the license header of various thousands
> of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so it's not an  easy
> change (which is one reason why it hasn't been done yet...).  Before we
> start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some feedback and/or  sharing of
> experiences with such things.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

By the way -

That's not to say that I oppose changing the license or even putting an
Apache license above the MIT license on existing files and an Apache
license on all new files.  I think that's ok.  Though again, not being a
lawyer, it might be nice to get an opinion from a real one.

Si

Si Chen wrote:

> [...]
>>> of the work and have simply granted it under the MIT Public License
>>> to the rest of us.  Thus, to remove the existing copyright headers
>>> may technically violate the license for that contributor's work.
>>> Of course, if each contributor authorized this change of license
>>> for their piece of the contribution, it would be fine.  I would be
>>> happy to sign this myself.  Given the number of contributors over
>>> the years, though, can we really go find all the contributors?  An
>>> alternative is to paste the Apache copyright on top of the existing
>>> MIT License, or just put the Apache license on new files.  But how
>>> would this look?  Maybe we need to get a legal opinion on this?
>>>
>>> That's all.  Again, great idea - just concerned about legal
>>> subtleties.
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

I think I answered this in my original email...

Still, maybe some discussion of it is appropriate more specifically
for making OFBiz proprietary. What would it mean if Andy and I
decided to do that? We can't go back in time and change previous
revisions of OFBiz to make them proprietary as well, so everything
that is in SVN right now would remain available. The very WORST we
could do is take down the server so no one can download it from us
any more, but there are probably many hundreds of copies floating
around and it wouldn't be hard to get the latest and a new custodian
could take it from there.

In other words, we have already granted access to the code under the
MIT license. We can take down our server and stop writing more open
source code and stop maintaining the current code base, but that's
about it... that would be the worst case scenario.

-David

On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:15 PM, bjfree wrote:

> when I first started this project, I ask if the MIT would ever be
> changed or replaced.
> there was an emphatic NO from you and andy.
>
> So what says that you will eventually make all the contributions
> proprietary, at some future date.
>
> I am addressing your word, not the license.
>
> David E. Jones sent the following on 9/23/05 4:53 PM:
>
>> This has been discussed a few times, though I think mostly in
>> smaller  circles and not among the community more generally.
>> I think we should get serious about doing this soon as it
>> clarifies a  lot of issues and puts in writing a lot of things
>> that we do as a  general practice in OFBiz, like stating
>> explicitly that contributions  to the project become the
>> "property" of the project, which is a  concern for users of the
>> software because they don't want to worry  about downloading an
>> open source project that has contributions that  someone might go
>> after them for using later on. The same thing  applies to
>> contributions covered by a patent and such.
>> In general the reason for moving from MIT and Apache 2.0 is to
>> make  end-users of the software feel more comfortable, so since
>> 99% of us  are or represent end-users, I don't think we'll see too
>> many objections.
>> For those who are wondering, the Apache licenses are derivatives
>> of  the MIT/BSD camp, and NOT of the GPL camp. So, don't worry
>> there is  no intention to ever move to a copy-left style licensing
>> for OFBiz.  In my opinion that would kill the project since it is
>> a community  oriented project and we don't want a single
>> organization to control  the commercial reigns of the software. To
>> make that more clear, even  though I understand that I might
>> personally benefit from controlling  such reigns, I am not so
>> ignorant or prideful (not that there is no  ignorance or pride in
>> me... in fact I pride myself on my ignorance)  as to think that
>> OFBiz is what it is because of me and I'm fully  aware that if I
>> tried to do something like that I would get the short  end of the
>> stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened  self-
>> interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz  stays
>> open for business, and not just open for internal use by  businesses.
>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on
>> the  OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>> This will involve a change of the license header of various
>> thousands  of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so
>> it's not an  easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been
>> done yet...).  Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate
>> some feedback and/or  sharing of experiences with such things.
>> -David

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

David Garrett
I think that Ofbiz users are exposed at the moment and this change would
help. The level of exposure is either an acceptable risk level or people are
unaware of the potential problem.

My key concern is to ensure
  1. That contributors clearly grant a licence to the copyright they
contribute. The author still retains ownership and all residual rights. The
project has the rights it needs. (see Apache ICLA clause 2 below)

  2. That contributors agree only to contribute their own works and NOT for
example their employers' works to which the contributor does not have the
rights. There is no protection in the case where a contributor "steals"
(whether knowingly or not) code from an employer and submits this.  (see
ICLA clause 4, 5 below)

The Apache 2 Licence provide very similar benefits to the current MIT
licence so I would be happy if the change can be organised. Further Apache 2
has had some serios legal brainpower contributed to try to solve may issues
encountered by the much simpler MIT licence.

Practicalities ... I agree with Si that contributions have been made in
accordance with the MIT licence therefore changing licence will require some
serious legal advice (maybe Apache can help???). But I believe we already
have a problem with unclear rights to contributed code and as David says the
problem will only get worse.

Finally, is this really necessary? Well my view is it is only a problem if
the Ofbiz project becomes more and more successful and/or any project by the
individual users becomes more successful. Ultimately the question gets asked
to the person installing or selling the software ... Do you really have the
rights to licence me this software? "Yes" .... OK prove it ....??? The
bigger the project, the more successful Ofbiz becomes -  the more this
becomes an issue!

Just one more thing(sorry!). My understanding of the Linux dispute between
IBM and BSD centred around code contributed by IBM employees that IBM
claimed was done without permission and without IBM's agreement. Whether it
was or wasn't that style of dispute in itself can be costly and commercially
disasterous. You can never stop this style of dispute but the Apache 2
licence will reduce the risk.

My 0.002 worth
David G

Overview of contributor Agreement:
Contributor License Agreements
The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation to
the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via snailmail or fax) a
Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA) [PDF form]. The purpose of
this agreement is to clearly define the terms under which intellectual
property has been contributed to the ASF and thereby allow us to defend the
project should there be a legal dispute regarding the software at some
future time. A signed CLA is required to be on file before an individual is
given commit rights to an ASF project.

For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache project,
a Corporate CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing intellectual property
via the corporation that may have been assigned as part of an employment
agreement. Note that a Corporate CLA does not remove the need for every
developer to sign their own CLA as an individual, to cover their
contributions that are not owned by the corporation signing the CCLA.

Note: If you choose to send this document via fax, rather than via
traditional postal mail, then be absolutely sure that you have sent it
correctly. Often faxes are received back-to-front, blank, or totally
illegible.

For reference I have included some relevant extracts from the Apache
contributor agreement.
Extracts from
     The Apache Software Foundation
     Individual Contributor License Agreement ("Agreement") V2.0
                   http://www.apache.org/licenses/

2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
   this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
   recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
   worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
   copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
   publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
   Contributions and such derivative works.

4. You represent that you are legally entitled to grant the above
   license. If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property
   that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent
   that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf
   of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for
   your Contributions to the Foundation, or that your employer has
   executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Foundation.

5. You represent that each of Your Contributions is Your original
   creation (see section 7 for submissions on behalf of others).  You
   represent that Your Contribution submissions include complete
   details of any third-party license or other restriction (including,
   but not limited to, related patents and trademarks) of which you
   are personally aware and which are associated with any part of Your
   Contributions.

> [...]

>> aware that if I tried to do something like that I would get the short
>> end of the stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened
>> self- interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz
>> stays open for business, and not just open for internal use by
>> businesses.
>>
>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on the
>> OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>>
>> This will involve a change of the license header of various thousands
>> of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so it's not an
>> easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been done yet...).
>> Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some feedback and/or
>> sharing of experiences with such things.
>>
>> -David

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

I agree

David E. Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>> because of me and I'm fully  aware that if I  tried to do something
>>> like that I would get the short  end of the  stick pretty quickly.
>>> So, even for me, out of "enlightened  self- interest" I'll always do
>>> what I can to make sure that OFBiz  stays  open for business, and
>>> not just open for internal use by  businesses.
>>>
>>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on
>>> the  OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>>>
>>> This will involve a change of the license header of various
>>> thousands  of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so
>>> it's not an  easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been
>>> done yet...).  Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some
>>> feedback and/or  sharing of experiences with such things.
>>>
>>> -David

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

I feel safe, in fact very safe that the software is Open Source and even if
David/Andy wanted to create a proprietry release they could (Why not I do!).

The issue is that I believe they rightly want to keep developing the Open
Source project without taking away  rights for people. The MIT/BSD/Apache
liceces really pass on very similar rights. Apache 2 I believe will provide
additional benefits to the community.

I really strugle to see any downside in terms of loss of rights that come
from a licence change to Apache 2. The downside I see is the practical
issues of dealling with prior contributions.

Again I do not see this as any sinister plot for David/Andy to take control.
Ultimately if they wanted to make a closed shop product all they would have
to do is stop contributing to the public project. There is NO evidence of
this and we ALL have the ability to do this.

David G

> [...]

>> aware that if I tried to do something like that I would get the short
>> end of the stick pretty quickly. So, even for me, out of "enlightened
>> self- interest" I'll always do what I can to make sure that OFBiz
>> stays open for business, and not just open for internal use by
>> businesses.
>> The full text of the MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are available on the
>> OSI web site at: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
>> This will involve a change of the license header of various thousands
>> of files in OFBiz (around 10,000 by a rough count), so it's not an
>> easy change (which is one reason why it hasn't been done yet...).
>> Before we start taking the plunge I'd appreciate some feedback and/or
>> sharing of experiences with such things.
>> -David

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

Okay, after reading up on this a bit here is my position on it:

Making a contribution to OFBiz (the "Work") constitutes adding that
contribution to the Work and making it part of the Work (as opposed
to creating a "Derivative Work", which would be anything that is
based on the Work but not contributed back to it). This action
implicitly grants copyright assignment to the owner of the copyright
of the Work, namely The Open For Business Project, unless otherwise
explicitly stated.

If anyone has a problem with this we should remove (and if necessary
manually replace) their contributions and blacklist from further
contribution (even if I shutter to think of what sort of continual
and error-prone effort this might involve).

I think we all have enough headaches in our day to day activities
that dealing with this is nothing short of absurd. There is only one
reason to try to slip this sort of thing in, and it is very anti-
community and will by its nature cause more harm than good to both
the community and the individual or organization trying to do so. Not
because of any retribution or explicit action, that's just the nature
of things.

If this issue does come up it is a huge liability to all of us. Of
course, if you have nothing invested and are not getting anything out
of OFBiz, then it doesn't matter. But for anyone using OFBiz or
deriving a living (or partial living as the case may be... ;) ) doing
OFBiz-based work, this is a big concern because with the
indescribable joys of our modern legal system this could easily
squash a resource-poor community such as our own. It is the type of
thing you can buy your way out of, but I don't see the OFBiz
community being able to come up with that kind of money.

So, given the risks, we should simply not accept these sorts of
contributions or tolerate the attitudes that drive the desire to do
such things.

If anyone has made contributions under false pretenses or doesn't
believe the implied copyright assignment applies to them, tell us now
so we can take care of it!

-David

On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> [...]
>>> Public License  to the rest of us.  Thus, to remove the existing
>>> copyright headers  may technically violate the license for that
>>> contributor's work.
>>> Of course, if each contributor authorized this change of license
>>> for their piece of the contribution, it would be fine.  I would
>>> be  happy to sign this myself.  Given the number of contributors
>>> over  the years, though, can we really go find all the
>>> contributors?  An  alternative is to paste the Apache copyright
>>> on top of the existing  MIT License, or just put the Apache
>>> license on new files.  But how  would this look?  Maybe we need
>>> to get a legal opinion on this?
>>>
>>> That's all.  Again, great idea - just concerned about legal
>>> subtleties.
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

BJ Freeman
To keep conitunity and help then end user, how is a "Derivative Work",
that is created for the end user denoted, so the end user knows this.
I am thinking this can be denoted in the webtools.

David E. Jones sent the following on 9/24/05 12:51 AM:

> [...]
>>> Business Project", and those we'll have to handle specially  by
>>> either  contacting whoever managed to get their copyright  header in
>>> there, or  tracing it back in the revision history and  if necessary
>>> tossing the  changes... I'd rather rewrite code than  have any such
>>> issue persist.
>>>
>>> So, no, I don't think we have to contact everyone who has ever
>>> contributed anything to OFBiz. I think the implication of
>>> contribution and leaving the copyright header as-is, and our
>>> feedback  for those who haven't plus various postings clarifying  the
>>> policy is  sufficient to determine that "The Open For Business
>>> Project" owns all  of the code. If I'm wrong, life is going to  suck
>>> for a little while...
>>>
>>> -David

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

I don't think that you can get an implicit assignment of copyright like
this, especially, given how long the project has been in existence, it
could be years after somebody had made their contribution.  This really
creates the opportunity for somebody later to say that (1) they made a
contribution, (2) stopped subscribing to the mailing list and visiting
the ofbiz.org-related sites, so (3) did not agree to it.  Then, if the
copyright header changed, they could say that you and whoever did a
project based on OFBiz violated this contirbutor's license grant under
the MIT PL.

Also, in general, I think that asking people to assign their copyright
would require a formal organization, such as foundation or non-profit
corporation, be set up to receive that copyright.  In light of the
recent Mambo split (www.opensourcematters.org), I think people will be
even more sensitive about it.

Do we need the assignment of copyright?  Do we need to go through the
work setting up a foundation or non-profit corporation?

If you can clear up what you really want to do--be it a change of
license, transfering ownership to a foundation, or both--we should
really get some legal advice on how to do it right.  It should not be
too difficult: I know somebody at openbar and contact her for us.

I think that the project is fine as it is.  A foundation and an Apache
2.0 license would be better, but above all, we have to make sure we
don't create legal confusion around it.  FUD is easy to create and hard
to dispel, as we've all unfortunately seen.

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>> Business Project", and those we'll have to handle specially  by
>>> either  contacting whoever managed to get their copyright  header in
>>> there, or  tracing it back in the revision history and  if necessary
>>> tossing the  changes... I'd rather rewrite code than  have any such
>>> issue persist.
>>>
>>> So, no, I don't think we have to contact everyone who has ever
>>> contributed anything to OFBiz. I think the implication of
>>> contribution and leaving the copyright header as-is, and our
>>> feedback  for those who haven't plus various postings clarifying
>>> the policy is  sufficient to determine that "The Open For Business
>>> Project" owns all  of the code. If I'm wrong, life is going to  suck
>>> for a little while...
>>>
>>> -David

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

Would you mind providing some reading references that are available for
"Work"/"Derivative Work" distinction.

David G

> [...]

>>> of the work and have simply granted it under the MIT Public License
>>> to the rest of us.  Thus, to remove the existing copyright headers
>>> may technically violate the license for that contributor's work.
>>> Of course, if each contributor authorized this change of license
>>> for their piece of the contribution, it would be fine.  I would be
>>> happy to sign this myself.  Given the number of contributors over
>>> the years, though, can we really go find all the contributors?  An
>>> alternative is to paste the Apache copyright on top of the existing
>>> MIT License, or just put the Apache license on new files.  But how
>>> would this look?  Maybe we need to get a legal opinion on this?
>>>
>>> That's all.  Again, great idea - just concerned about legal
>>> subtleties.
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

Perhaps the best thing to do is read the Apache License, 2.0. It has
pretty good descriptions of this. There is a lot of commentary about
open source licensing that talks about this too.

The link that Si included from the GNUe web site is an interesting
read as well. They talk about the notion of implicit copyright
assignment, and then explain that they decided not to do that and
describe their copyright assignment policy, which is rather strict...
and an interesting read.

Si mentioned a book about open source licensing that might be good to
look at, but I haven't read that one myself. The one I have is called
"Understanding Open Source & Free Software Licensing" by Andrew M.
St. Laurent, published by O'Reilly. It has some good discussion on
these various things and some good narrative mixed in with the text
of various open source licenses, including the Apache 2.0.

-David

On Sep 24, 2005, at 6:49 PM, David Garrett wrote:

> Would you mind providing some reading references that are available
> for
> "Work"/"Derivative Work" distinction.
>
> David G

Oh, I forgot to mention... The commentary based on the Apache
License, 2.0 in the Understanding Open Source & Free Software
Licensing book talks about the terms "Work" and "Derivative" work in
terms of their legal definitions as used in copyright law. I think
that is where all of this stems from and where the various open
source licenses get the concepts and terminology.

-David

On Sep 24, 2005, at 6:49 PM, David Garrett wrote:

> Would you mind providing some reading references that are available
> for
> "Work"/"Derivative Work" distinction.
>
> David G

Thanks I'll do the background reading.....

There is a very simple document I like
http://www.hiit.fi/de/valimaki_oksanen_lawtech_2002.pdf
See Section 3 Ownership of Rights

Oh, I forgot to mention... The commentary based on the Apache License, 2.0
in the Understanding Open Source & Free Software Licensing book talks about
the terms "Work" and "Derivative" work in terms of their legal definitions
as used in copyright law. I think that is where all of this stems from and
where the various open source licenses get the concepts and terminology.

-David

On Sep 24, 2005, at 6:49 PM, David Garrett wrote:

> Would you mind providing some reading references that are available
> for "Work"/"Derivative Work" distinction.
>
> David G

Thanks David,

Very interesting and clear document. I keep a copy :o)

Jacques

> Thanks I'll do the background reading.....
>
> There is a very simple document I like
> http://www.hiit.fi/de/valimaki_oksanen_lawtech_2002.pdf
> See Section 3 Ownership of Rights

Adam Heath-2
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Si Chen wrote:

> I don't think that you can get an implicit assignment of copyright like
> this, especially, given how long the project has been in existence, it
> could be years after somebody had made their contribution.  This really
> creates the opportunity for somebody later to say that (1) they made a
> contribution, (2) stopped subscribing to the mailing list and visiting
> the ofbiz.org-related sites, so (3) did not agree to it.  Then, if the
> copyright header changed, they could say that you and whoever did a
> project based on OFBiz violated this contirbutor's license grant under
> the MIT PL.

This is a very huge point.  We absolutely *MUST* contact *EVERYONE* who has
ever submitted code to ofbiz.  Even if their submission was not applied as is,
if the final solution was based on their code, then they are part of the
copyright chain.

This applies to all versions of the code, going back thru all time.  This
could have been avoided if there had been a copyright assignment in the first
place.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Change of License from MIT to Apache 2.0

David E. Jones

Sorry, I'm not a lawyer but so far from what I've read this is
ridiculous. If you modify a file with a copyright notice in it and
you don't add your own copyright notice, how are not implying an
assignment of copyright?

I haven't read anything in ANY of the links submitted that would lead
me to believe this. In fact, it seems that the opposite is true. Most
acknowledge that doing this implies an assignment of copyright, but
sometimes it's better to not take a chance.

Is this really such a big deal? How many people feel uncomfortable
with assigning the copyright of their contributions to "The Open For
Business Project"? Is this a sentiment that has been a background
issue that is just now surfacing?

Forgive me if I sound insensitive, I'm just having a hard time
fathoming this in any reality I've experienced....

-David