[OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

[OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

Firas A.-2
Hello everyone,

The other day I tested the Locale-sensitive functionality of the ecommerce app. For that, I picked a couple of items from the catalog to which I added additional prices in Swedish krona (SEK) and switched locale from English to Swedish.

There seem to be a cache issue which prevents the correct display of the locale-sensitive price and currency. For our discussion assume that our item costs $100.00 or 700,00 kr (swedish korna). After swithcing to the Swedish locale the new price string becomes corrupted; for example $100.00 becomes SKr100,00. There 2 errors whit this output:
  1. the Swedish currency symbol is postfix 'kr' and not 'SKr'(prefix)
  2. the decimal separator (',') is OK but the price is numerically still in dollars (100 instead of 700).
Obviously this is due to the caching in the Entity Engine (pls see this thread) and probably even FreeMarker since <@ofbizCurrency> is a TemplateTransformModel.

My question are:
  1. Is there a way of clearing the cache in question programmatically?
  2. Why use <@ofbizCurrency> when FreeMarker's already supports locale-sensitive currency formatting through var?string.currency (one of it's built-ins for numbers)?
Appreciate your time.

</Firas>

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

Jacopo Cappellato
Yes,

I too have recently noticed something similar: switching from Italian to
English language and the $ symbol was rendered as US$
The Freemarker's ?string.currency built-in is not an option because it
doesn't consider the currency of the data bau the currency of the session.

Jacopo

Firas A. wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The other day I tested the Locale-sensitive functionality of the
> ecommerce app. For that, I picked a couple of items from the catalog to
> which I added additional prices in Swedish krona (SEK) and switched
> locale from English to Swedish.
>
> There seem to be a cache issue which prevents the correct display of the
> locale-sensitive price and currency. For our discussion assume that our
> item costs $100.00 or 700,00 kr (swedish korna). After swithcing to the
> Swedish locale the new price string becomes corrupted; for example
> $100.00 becomes SKr100,00. There 2 errors whit this output:
>
>    1. the Swedish currency symbol is postfix 'kr' and not 'SKr'(prefix)
>    2. the decimal separator (',') is OK but the price is numerically
>       still in dollars (100 instead of 700).
>
> Obviously this is due to the caching in the Entity Engine (pls see this
> thread <http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2005-August/009003.html>)
> and probably even FreeMarker since <@ofbizCurrency> is a
> TemplateTransformModel.
>
> My question are:
>
>    1. Is there a way of clearing the cache in question programmatically?
>    2. Why use <@ofbizCurrency> when FreeMarker's already supports
>       locale-sensitive currency formatting through var?string.currency
>       (one of it's built-ins for numbers)?
>
> Appreciate your time.
>
> </Firas>

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

Firas A.-2
Hi,

I think FreeMarker guys have foreseen a scenario where one would want an
output in a locale other than Session's, like this:

<#setting locale="${yourLocaleStr}">
${price.listPrice}

Any ideas on cache clearing?

</Firas>

Firas A. wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The other day I tested the Locale-sensitive functionality of the
> ecommerce app. For that, I picked a couple of items from the catalog
> to which I added additional prices in Swedish krona (SEK) and switched
> locale from English to Swedish.
>
> There seem to be a cache issue which prevents the correct display of
> the locale-sensitive price and currency. For our discussion assume
> that our item costs $100.00 or 700,00 kr (swedish korna). After
> swithcing to the Swedish locale the new price string becomes
> corrupted; for example $100.00 becomes SKr100,00. There 2 errors whit this
output:

>    1. the Swedish currency symbol is postfix 'kr' and not 'SKr'(prefix)
>    2. the decimal separator (',') is OK but the price is numerically
>       still in dollars (100 instead of 700).
>
> Obviously this is due to the caching in the Entity Engine (pls see
> this thread
> <http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2005-August/009003.html>)
> and probably even FreeMarker since <@ofbizCurrency> is a
> TemplateTransformModel.
>
> My question are:
>
>    1. Is there a way of clearing the cache in question programmatically?
>    2. Why use <@ofbizCurrency> when FreeMarker's already supports
>       locale-sensitive currency formatting through var?string.currency
>       (one of it's built-ins for numbers)?
>
> Appreciate your time.
>
> </Firas>

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

David E. Jones

I still haven't seen anything that appears to be a stale cache
effect, but on the FreeMarker issue...

We don't want something that automatically selects the currency based
on locale. We have data structures that consist of pairs of fields
including currency amounts and currency UOM IDs so what we need is to
be able to specify both the amount and the currency used each time
one of these values is displayed. That is why we have the ofbiz
currency transform.

Chances are if something is not displaying a price correctly then it
is not getting the currency UOM correctly, or perhaps it is using
the ?string.currency built-in instead of the ofbiz currency
transform. We eliminated all uses of ?string.currency a while back,
but it is possible some have crept back in.

So, to trace this down, where are you seeing this effect? What you
describe is what would happen if the ?string.currency built-in was
used (ie the wrong currency is displayed). What Jacopo described is
totally different and is what should happen with the ofbiz currency
transform (ie the proper currency is display, it is just formatted
differently for the locale).

-David

On Oct 22, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think FreeMarker guys have foreseen a scenario where one would
> want an
> output in a locale other than Session's, like this:
>
> <#setting locale="${yourLocaleStr}">
> ${price.listPrice}
>
> Any ideas on cache clearing?
>
> </Firas>

Hello David,
Sorry for the delayed answer. I had to do some tests before answering this message.

While testing I wasn't doing anything special, just browsing products and categories. Here's the test configuration:
  • Clean OFBiz r.6002/Derby
  • Started OFBiz with -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US
  • Both "Default Locale String" and "Default Currency Uom Id" in the store settings were set to empty
The product items that were tested had, besides US-prices, these price settings:
  • Type - Default
  • Purpose - Purchase/Initial
  • Currency: Swedish kronor [SEK]
And here're the results in different browser conigurations:
Swedish MSIE[sv] - US$ 123,45 (note the space and the comma as the decimal separator)
English Firefox[en_US] - $123.45
English Firefox[en_GB] - US$123.45 (note, no space here)

Regards

</Firas>

I still haven't seen anything that appears to be a stale cache effect, but on the FreeMarker issue...

We don't want something that automatically selects the currency based on locale. We have data structures that consist of pairs of fields including currency amounts and currency UOM IDs so what we need is to be able to specify both the amount and the currency used each time one of these values is displayed. That is why we have the ofbiz currency transform.

Chances are if something is not displaying a price correctly then it is not getting the currency UOM correctly, or perhaps it is using the ?string.currency built-in instead of the ofbiz currency transform. We eliminated all uses of ?string.currency a while back, but it is possible some have crept back in.

So, to trace this down, where are you seeing this effect? What you describe is what would happen if the ?string.currency built-in was used (ie the wrong currency is displayed). What Jacopo described is totally different and is what should happen with the ofbiz currency transform (ie the proper currency is display, it is just formatted differently for the locale).

-David

On Oct 22, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think FreeMarker guys have foreseen a scenario where one would want
> an output in a locale other than Session's, like this:
>
> <#setting locale="${yourLocaleStr}">
> ${price.listPrice}
>
> Any ideas on cache clearing?
>
> </Firas>

Hmmm, I'm still not getting it. What exactly is the problem? I can
see that there is a difference between them, but it is mainly that
for other locales it is showing explicitly that they are US$ to avoid
confusion with other currencies that also use the "$" symbol. In
other words, what you describe is pretty much how it should operate.

For the browser difference you might want to look at the HTML
generated (for reliability must be done on server as the client often
changes things even in the view source viewing mode). You can narrow
this down by testing with the "sv" locale in Firefox instead of just
MSIE (even if it isn't an explicit build for that language you can
always pass any locale in any browser, well any _good_ browser
anyway...)

-David

On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> Hello David,
> Sorry for the delayed answer. I had to do some tests before
> answering this message.
>
> While testing I wasn't doing anything special, just browsing
> products and categories. Here's the test configuration:
> Clean OFBiz r.6002/Derby
> Started OFBiz with -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US
> Both "Default Locale String" and "Default Currency Uom Id" in the
> store settings were set to empty
> The product items that were tested had, besides US-prices, these
> price settings:
> Type - Default
> Purpose - Purchase/Initial
> Currency: Swedish kronor [SEK]
> And here're the results in different browser conigurations:
> Swedish MSIE[sv] - US$ 123,45 (note the space and the comma as the
> decimal separator)
> English Firefox[en_US] - $123.45
> English Firefox[en_GB] - US$123.45 (note, no space here)
>
> Regards
>
> </Firas>

David,

There are two problems with the current functionality of the @ofbizCurrency
transform:

  1) The formatting for currency symbols other than USD is wrong. In our
example, the correct Swedish currency formatting should look like: 1 234,56
kr
Note the postfix 'kr'. @ofbizCurrency returns US$ 1 234,56, i.e. prefix
'US$'.

  2) The transform displayes wrong prices numerically. For example if an
item is priced at 1234 USD and 5678 SEK it allways displays 1234 and not the
expected 5678.

The above points are observed when switching to another locale by
CommonEvents.setSessionLocale or when using any browser with locale setting
other than en_US.

My expectation from @ofbizCurrency transform was functionality similar to
that in java.text.NumberFormat.format() or formatCurrency tag from Jakarta
i18n Tag library. Am I too exacting ;-)?

Anyway, when it comes to correct currency formatting I can allways switch to
another formatting technique. But what should I do to display
'numerically'-correct prices in other currencies?

Thanks for your time!

</Firas>

P.S.I forgot to mention in my previous letters that, while testing, I
cleared the cache in WebTools and use this setting in my cache.properties:
entitycache.entity-list.default.ProductPriceRule.expireTime=3000
________________________________

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:12:42 -0600
From: "David E. Jones" <[hidden email]>

Hmmm, I'm still not getting it. What exactly is the problem? I can see that
there is a difference between them, but it is mainly that for other locales
it is showing explicitly that they are US$ to avoid confusion with other
currencies that also use the "$" symbol. In other words, what you describe
is pretty much how it should operate.

For the browser difference you might want to look at the HTML generated (for
reliability must be done on server as the client often changes things even
in the view source viewing mode). You can narrow this down by testing with
the "sv" locale in Firefox instead of just MSIE (even if it isn't an
explicit build for that language you can always pass any locale in any
browser, well any _good_ browser
anyway...)

-David

On Oct 25, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> Hello David,
> Sorry for the delayed answer. I had to do some tests before answering
> this message.
>
> While testing I wasn't doing anything special, just browsing products
> and categories. Here's the test configuration:
> Clean OFBiz r.6002/Derby
> Started OFBiz with -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US Both "Default
> Locale String" and "Default Currency Uom Id" in the store settings
> were set to empty The product items that were tested had, besides
> US-prices, these price settings:
> Type - Default
> Purpose - Purchase/Initial
> Currency: Swedish kronor [SEK]
> And here're the results in different browser conigurations:
> Swedish MSIE[sv] - US$ 123,45 (note the space and the comma as the
> decimal separator) English Firefox[en_US] - $123.45 English
> Firefox[en_GB] - US$123.45 (note, no space here)
>
> Regards
>
> </Firas>

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

David E. Jones

Firas,

If it is showing US$ instead of "kr" then there must be an
@ofbizCurrency tag somewhere that is not passing in the currency UOM
ID. Where is it that you are seeing this, and are you sure the
currency in the database is kr/SEK and not USD?

-David

On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:24 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> [...]
>> and categories. Here's the test configuration:
>> Clean OFBiz r.6002/Derby
>> Started OFBiz with -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US Both "Default
>> Locale String" and "Default Currency Uom Id" in the store settings
>> were set to empty The product items that were tested had, besides
>> US-prices, these price settings:
>> Type - Default
>> Purpose - Purchase/Initial
>> Currency: Swedish kronor [SEK]
>> And here're the results in different browser conigurations:
>> Swedish MSIE[sv] - US$ 123,45 (note the space and the comma as the
>> decimal separator) English Firefox[en_US] - $123.45 English
>> Firefox[en_GB] - US$123.45 (note, no space here)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> </Firas>

RE: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

Peter Goron
Hi Firas,

Currently Ofbiz doesn't handle currency conversion according to the
user's locale "on the fly". That's why currency is displayed in USD and
not SEK in your example.

Peter

Le mercredi 26 octobre 2005 à 11:24 +0200, Firas A. a écrit :

> David,
>
> There are two problems with the current functionality of the @ofbizCurrency
> transform:
>
>   1) The formatting for currency symbols other than USD is wrong. In our
> example, the correct Swedish currency formatting should look like: 1 234,56
> kr
> Note the postfix 'kr'. @ofbizCurrency returns US$ 1 234,56, i.e. prefix
> 'US$'.
>
>   2) The transform displayes wrong prices numerically. For example if an
> item is priced at 1234 USD and 5678 SEK it allways displays 1234 and not the
> expected 5678.
>
> The above points are observed when switching to another locale by
> CommonEvents.setSessionLocale or when using any browser with locale setting
> other than en_US.
>
> My expectation from @ofbizCurrency transform was functionality similar to
> that in java.text.NumberFormat.format() or formatCurrency tag from Jakarta
> i18n Tag library. Am I too exacting ;-)?
>
> Anyway, when it comes to correct currency formatting I can allways switch to
> another formatting technique. But what should I do to display
> 'numerically'-correct prices in other currencies?
>
> Thanks for your time!

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Locale-sensitive functionality - thoughts and questions

Firas,

the multi-currency support in OFBiz is implemented in the following way:

- sales orders: the currency is set in the product store (if you want to
sell in more than one currency you have to set up more than one store)
- purchase orders: the currency cen be set during order entry or in the
agreement between the company and the supplier.

Hope this helps you.

Jacopo