[OFBiz] Dev - Why Work Order?

David E. Jones

Why do we have a work order? I think it was put in originally due to
a misunderstanding, but I see some newer artifacts that use the
OrderType of Work Order.

What does this mean? It seems like from the code that it is just a
sales order, but I don't think it makes any sense to have a work
order separate from a sales order, and it is more flexible in general
to just have sales orders and we can always use the Work Order Item
OrderItemType.

Does anyone have any issues with just removing the Work Order
OrderType? I think it would be less confusing...

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Why Work Order?

Si Chen-2
I've always wondered about that one.  Sure, let's get rid of it.

David E. Jones wrote:

> Why do we have a work order? I think it was put in originally due to
> a misunderstanding, but I see some newer artifacts that use the
> OrderType of Work Order.
>
> What does this mean? It seems like from the code that it is just a
> sales order, but I don't think it makes any sense to have a work
> order separate from a sales order, and it is more flexible in general
> to just have sales orders and we can always use the Work Order Item
> OrderItemType.
>
> Does anyone have any issues with just removing the Work Order
> OrderType? I think it would be less confusing...

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Why Work Order?

Adrian Crum
Work Orders would be necessary for service-oriented companies, or a company with
a service department.

Our warranty-service dept uses work orders to specify repairs to be done and the
parts needed to do the repairs. Line items could be labor or parts.

Behind the scenes, it's just like a sales order I guess. The only difference is,
work orders won't appear on sales reports and vice-versa. Also, each line item
has a "Completed" field (logical) that indicates if the work was done. Once all
line items are completed, then the entire work order is considered completed and
it is closed.

David E. Jones wrote:

> Why do we have a work order? I think it was put in originally due to  a
> misunderstanding, but I see some newer artifacts that use the  OrderType
> of Work Order.
>
> What does this mean? It seems like from the code that it is just a
> sales order, but I don't think it makes any sense to have a work  order
> separate from a sales order, and it is more flexible in general  to just
> have sales orders and we can always use the Work Order Item  OrderItemType.
>
> Does anyone have any issues with just removing the Work Order
> OrderType? I think it would be less confusing...

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Why Work Order?

David E. Jones

Thanks for your comments Adrian. I think this actually demonstrates
another good reason for eliminated "work orders", which were treated
exactly the same as sales orders. The order of work is appropriate to
put in a sales order, but the progress and details on that work are
probably best tracked in the WorkEffort and related entities.

-David

On Oct 11, 2005, at 6:00 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Work Orders would be necessary for service-oriented companies, or a
> company with a service department.
>
> Our warranty-service dept uses work orders to specify repairs to be
> done and the parts needed to do the repairs. Line items could be
> labor or parts.
>
> Behind the scenes, it's just like a sales order I guess. The only
> difference is, work orders won't appear on sales reports and vice-
> versa. Also, each line item has a "Completed" field (logical) that
> indicates if the work was done. Once all line items are completed,
> then the entire work order is considered completed and it is closed.
>

> David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> Why do we have a work order? I think it was put in originally due
>> to  a misunderstanding, but I see some newer artifacts that use
>> the  OrderType of Work Order.
>> What does this mean? It seems like from the code that it is just
>> a  sales order, but I don't think it makes any sense to have a
>> work  order separate from a sales order, and it is more flexible
>> in general  to just have sales orders and we can always use the
>> Work Order Item  OrderItemType.
>> Does anyone have any issues with just removing the Work Order
>> OrderType? I think it would be less confusing...
>> -David

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Why Work Order?

This is now out, as of rev 5946.

-David