[OFBiz] Dev - currency-amount field type in Derby db

[OFBiz] Dev - currency-amount field type in Derby db

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

I was fighting against some approximation issues with prices, running
OFBiz on top of Derby db, and I've discovered that the db field type for
currency-amount fields for Derby was set to FLOAT and not to
NUMERIC(18,2). This is causing approx problems in OFBiz because the
currency amounts are displayed formatted with two decimals in many
screens and this causes obvious differences when calculating totals etc.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - currency-amount field type in Derby db

David E. Jones

Jacopo,

I agree this should be changed to restrict it to 2 decimal places.

Based on other conversations recently on the mailing list I would
also like to add a new field type to represent interim and more
accurate currency amounts. For this I'm thinking of 3 or perhaps 4
decimal places, but I'm interested in feedback on that... The main
uses of it I see are:

- the price on the ProductPrice entity to facilitate storage of more
generally applicable prices to get a certain post-tax calculation
result, and this would also be for post-other calculation (like price
rules) results

- the amount on the OrderAdjustment entity: this needs to be at least
3 decimal places for UK VAT line item calculations, and this may be
the case in other places; if there is any place that requires more
than 4 decimals for interim results that need to be persisted then we
need to do something about that... note that this isn't for in-memory
calculations, but for things that actually need to be persisted to
the database (in memory calculations are much easier to be flexible
with)

- any others?

-David