[OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

[OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

michal-2
Hello,
I`m looking forward to switch to Ofbiz for my entire business. Before I do that I would like to know what are the minimum requirements for server hardware ? I`m asking this because I don't know if I should take dedicated server for it or shared server with good hosting company will be ok. I would like to get some suggestions on that please and maybe some hosting recommendations ?
Thanks
Mike

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

Andrew Sykes
Mike,

Glad to hear you like OFBiz :-)

I think this is really a dedicated server job, I've never tried using
shared hosting, but the chances are you'll run into a load of problems
with permissions etc...

Also, be warned that OFBiz is a very large system to migrate to in one
step, make sure you really understand how everything will be affected
before you move mission critical process onto the OFBiz framework.

Good luck with it all.
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

michal-2
Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with dedicated server. I am new to
Ofbiz acctualy heard of it last week for the  first time. I don't know if
you heard about Compiere open source project but thats the one I was going
to implement before I found Ofbiz.
When you were saying migration did you mean data migration or migration  in
general(learning how to use it etc.)? What I am thinking is getting
dedicated server now with Ofbiz and while I am still in the other system I
would let people use Ofbiz so that we can learn more about it. Finally, in
Dec/Jan switch to Ofbiz after we close this year.
Mike
> I think this is really a dedicated server job, I've never tried using
> shared hosting, but the chances are you'll run into a load of problems
> with permissions etc...
>
> Also, be warned that OFBiz is a very large system to migrate to in one
> step, make sure you really understand how everything will be affected
> before you move mission critical process onto the OFBiz framework.
>
> Good luck with it all.
> --
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

I found that although it is possible to use virtual machine hosting with
OFBiz, it really isn't optimal, or particularly more cost effective than
a dedicated server.

I would estimate that you'll need at least 500 MB of HD and 256 to 512
MB minimum of Ram (with the ability to balloon higher) in a shared
system.

I spent more than a week trying to track down a bug in a virtual machine
hosting system, Sphera, and had sub optimal performance and more
problems even when I did get it working, whereas a dedicated server has
been very affordable, and far more reliable.

There are many purveyors of dedicated hosting, and I have a couple of
machines free at a great price as well.

Daniel

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 09:18 -0400, michal wrote:

> Hello,
> I`m looking forward to switch to Ofbiz for my entire business. Before
> I do that I would like to know what are the minimum requirements for
> server hardware ? I`m asking this because I don't know if I should
> take dedicated server for it or shared server with good hosting
> company will be ok. I would like to get some suggestions on that
> please and maybe some hosting recommendations ?
> Thanks
> Mike

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.BioWaves.com    http://www.ProtonToothbrush.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

David E. Jones

I'll second the thought that shared hosting can be a real pain with
OFBiz. The main exception to that is a hosting company that is
experienced with OFBiz or similar applications in a shared
environment. We actually do offer (through Contegix, Matthew Porter's
company) fully managed hosting of OFBiz on both shared and dedicated
servers (there are price lists and details on our web site). These
are meant to be full service things where you don't ever have to
touch the box, we do all of the setup and maintenance for you. They
are high quality and fast servers, and we monitor and review
performance to make sure they stay that way. They also feature data
protection with redundant disks and regular backups.

So, is it possible to run multiple OFBiz instances on a single box to
share it? Yes, and it works quite well if your hosting company knows
what they are doing. If not it can be a REAL pain.

-David

On Oct 17, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found that although it is possible to use virtual machine hosting
> with
> OFBiz, it really isn't optimal, or particularly more cost effective
> than
> a dedicated server.
>
> I would estimate that you'll need at least 500 MB of HD and 256 to 512
> MB minimum of Ram (with the ability to balloon higher) in a shared
> system.
>
> I spent more than a week trying to track down a bug in a virtual
> machine
> hosting system, Sphera, and had sub optimal performance and more
> problems even when I did get it working, whereas a dedicated server
> has
> been very affordable, and far more reliable.
>
> There are many purveyors of dedicated hosting, and I have a couple of
> machines free at a great price as well.
>
> Daniel
>

> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 09:18 -0400, michal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I`m looking forward to switch to Ofbiz for my entire business. Before
>> I do that I would like to know what are the minimum requirements for
>> server hardware ? I`m asking this because I don't know if I should
>> take dedicated server for it or shared server with good hosting
>> company will be ok. I would like to get some suggestions on that
>> please and maybe some hosting recommendations ?
>> Thanks
>> Mike

> Daniel
>
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
> Have a GREAT Day!
>
> Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
> BioWaves, LLC
> 14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
> Bellevue, WA 98007
> 800-734-3588    425-895-0050
> http://www.BioWaves.com    http://www.ProtonToothbrush.com
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

Firas A.-2
Daniel, David

In your vocabulary, does "Virtual Private Servers" count as "shared
hosting"/"virtual machine hosting"?

Is there anything similar to Contegix in the EU?

Thanks!

</Firas>

> [...]

>> company will be ok. I would like to get some suggestions on that
>> please and maybe some hosting recommendations ?
>> Thanks
>> Mike

> Daniel
>
> *-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
> Have a GREAT Day!
>
> Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
> BioWaves, LLC
> 14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
> Bellevue, WA 98007
> 800-734-3588    425-895-0050
> http://www.BioWaves.com    http://www.ProtonToothbrush.com

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Ofbiz hardware requirements

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

>In your vocabulary, does "Virtual Private Servers" count as "shared

Yes, they are the same.

>Is there anything similar to Contegix in the EU?

Not that I am aware of, but David is the better person to ask.

Good Luck

Daniel