[OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

[OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

I read

How to run the POS terminal at the same time as an instance of OFBiz on the same machine? It's a real pain shuting down POS and starting OFBiz and vice-versa to make changes!

You must launch 2 instances with differents port numbers. I did not did it yet but I think it's the only way. Jacques Le Roux 18/5/5

Success, just needed to turn off the BeanShell ports in the ofbiz-containers.xml file. I haven't tried but you might be able to overide this port on the command line, in which case you should be able to continue to run the BeanShell access on different ports. Ray Barlow 25/05/05

I just tried Ray advice and yes it works !

My answer (18/5/5) was founded upon answers I had from David Andy and a document written by Yannick Thebault

So my question : it works but is it safe ? No problem with DB access (I personnaly use PostGres) ?, etc.

This is very interesting because I want to use this feature (both running on same DB) as a marketing argument with retailers, you see ?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

David E. Jones

You can run both in the same instance. The easiest way to do this is
to add the POS UI container (copied from pos-containers.xml) to the
default container file, ofbiz-containers.xml.

That way you have a single Java instance. Running it in 2 Java
instances is fine too, just not as efficient because (depending on
your JVM) Java won't be able to share resources that are sharable,
like jar file in memory and such.

-David

On Aug 26, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> From the wiki (http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?
> page=PointOfSaleSystem)
>
> I read
>
> How to run the POS terminal at the same time as an instance of
> OFBiz on the same machine? It's a real pain shuting down POS and
> starting OFBiz and vice-versa to make changes!
> You must launch 2 instances with differents port numbers. I did not
> did it yet but I think it's the only way. Jacques Le Roux 18/5/5
> Success, just needed to turn off the BeanShell ports in the ofbiz-
> containers.xml file. I haven't tried but you might be able to
> overide this port on the command line, in which case you should be
> able to continue to run the BeanShell access on different ports.
> Ray Barlow 25/05/05
>
> I just tried Ray advice and yes it works !
>
> My answer (18/5/5) was founded upon answers I had from David Andy
> and a document written by Yannick Thebault
> https://demo.nereide.biz:8443/website/control/public?
> idNameArticle=deployLiPo&idNameSubHeading=technicsInfra&idNameHeading=
> technicsM (see  Change ofbiz admin port)
>
> So my question : it works but is it safe ? No problem with DB
> access (I personnaly use PostGres) ?, etc.
>
> This is very interesting because I want to use this feature (both
> running on same DB) as a marketing argument with retailers, you see ?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

David,

Thanks for your help. I tested and there is at least one problem :

After leaving commented out the telnet part, I added the trunk of
pos-containers.xml (ie JNDI/JOTM, JPOS devices and  POS GUI sections) at the
end of ofbiz-containers.xml.

Both html parts (8080 and 8443) are working well, but not the Swing part.

First I got an exception related to look-and-feel property (sorry for the
length folks)

        at
com.jgoodies.plaf.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel.<clinit>(PlasticLookAndFeel.jav
a:122)
        at
javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(SwingUtilities.java:1677)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:423)
        at org.ofbiz.guiapp.xui.XuiContainer.start(XuiContainer.java:97)
        at
org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.start(ContainerLoader.java:89)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.startStartLoaders(Start.java:272)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.startServer(Start.java:323)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.start(Start.java:327)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.main(Start.java:413)
Caused by: java.awt.HeadlessException
        at
sun.awt.HeadlessToolkit.getScreenResolution(HeadlessToolkit.java:184)
        at com.jgoodies.plaf.LookUtils.isLowResolution(LookUtils.java:405)
        at com.jgoodies.plaf.LookUtils.<clinit>(LookUtils.java:174)
        ... 11 more

I commented  the look-and-feel property out and then I got :

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException
        at java.applet.Applet.<init>(Applet.java:44)
        at javax.swing.JApplet.<init>(JApplet.java:97)
        at net.xoetrope.swing.XApplet.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.ofbiz.guiapp.xui.XuiContainer$XuiScreen.<init>(XuiContainer.java:145)
        at org.ofbiz.guiapp.xui.XuiContainer.start(XuiContainer.java:113)
        at
org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.start(ContainerLoader.java:89)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.startStartLoaders(Start.java:272)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.startServer(Start.java:323)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.start(Start.java:327)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.main(Start.java:413)

I thought "it's perhaps a conflict between the 2 jndi-config properties
(iiop.properties already in and jrmp.properties from pos-container)".
I looked and understood that iiop.properties subsumes jrmp.properties, so I
dropped it without any effect al all (not surprised).

java.awt.HeadlessException say :
Thrown when code that is dependent on a keyboard, display, or mouse is
called in an environment that does not support a keyboard, display, or
mouse.

What do you think is missing please ?

Jacques

> You can run both in the same instance. The easiest way to do this is
> to add the POS UI container (copied from pos-containers.xml) to the
> default container file, ofbiz-containers.xml.
>
> That way you have a single Java instance. Running it in 2 Java
> instances is fine too, just not as efficient because (depending on
> your JVM) Java won't be able to share resources that are sharable,
> like jar file in memory and such.
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 26, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > From the wiki (http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?
> > page=PointOfSaleSystem)
> >
> > I read
> >
> > How to run the POS terminal at the same time as an instance of
> > OFBiz on the same machine? It's a real pain shuting down POS and
> > starting OFBiz and vice-versa to make changes!
> > You must launch 2 instances with differents port numbers. I did not
> > did it yet but I think it's the only way. Jacques Le Roux 18/5/5
> > Success, just needed to turn off the BeanShell ports in the ofbiz-
> > containers.xml file. I haven't tried but you might be able to
> > overide this port on the command line, in which case you should be
> > able to continue to run the BeanShell access on different ports.
> > Ray Barlow 25/05/05
> >
> > I just tried Ray advice and yes it works !
> >
> > My answer (18/5/5) was founded upon answers I had from David Andy
> > and a document written by Yannick Thebault
> > https://demo.nereide.biz:8443/website/control/public?
> > idNameArticle=deployLiPo&idNameSubHeading=technicsInfra&idNameHeading=
> > technicsM (see  Change ofbiz admin port)
> >
> > So my question : it works but is it safe ? No problem with DB
> > access (I personnaly use PostGres) ?, etc.
> >
> > This is very interesting because I want to use this feature (both
> > running on same DB) as a marketing argument with retailers, you see ?
> >
> > Jacques

Re: [OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

Andrew Zeneski
Actually you shouuld do it the other way around. Add catalina to the pos container file. T:he default sets awt headless to true which will effect the swing components.

Andy

> You can run both in the same instance. The easiest way to do this is
> to add the POS UI container (copied from pos-containers.xml) to the
> default container file, ofbiz-containers.xml.
>
> That way you have a single Java instance. Running it in 2 Java
> instances is fine too, just not as efficient because (depending on
> your JVM) Java won't be able to share resources that are sharable,
> like jar file in memory and such.
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 26, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > From the wiki (http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?
> > page=PointOfSaleSystem)
> >
> > I read
> >
> > How to run the POS terminal at the same time as an instance of
> > OFBiz on the same machine? It's a real pain shuting down POS and
> > starting OFBiz and vice-versa to make changes!
> > You must launch 2 instances with differents port numbers. I did not
> > did it yet but I think it's the only way. Jacques Le Roux 18/5/5
> > Success, just needed to turn off the BeanShell ports in the ofbiz-
> > containers.xml file. I haven't tried but you might be able to
> > overide this port on the command line, in which case you should be
> > able to continue to run the BeanShell access on different ports.
> > Ray Barlow 25/05/05
> >
> > I just tried Ray advice and yes it works !
> >
> > My answer (18/5/5) was founded upon answers I had from David Andy
> > and a document written by Yannick Thebault
> > https://demo.nereide.biz:8443/website/control/public?
> > idNameArticle=deployLiPo&idNameSubHeading=technicsInfra&idNameHeading=
> > technicsM (see  Change ofbiz admin port)
> >
> > So my question : it works but is it safe ? No problem with DB
> > access (I personnaly use PostGres) ?, etc.
> >
> > This is very interesting because I want to use this feature (both
> > running on same DB) as a marketing argument with retailers, you see ?
> >
> > Jacques

Re: [OFBiz] Users - POS and ecommerce on same DB

Thanks Andy,

Yes it works :o).

I add your answer to the wiki. For me it's was very important to have them
both running, and now sharing ressources, thanks again !

Jacques

> Actually you shouuld do it the other way around. Add catalina to the pos
container file. T:he default sets awt headless to true which will effect the
swing components.

> Andy

Si Chen-2
I just tried it, and it works too.  Very cool.  Si