OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Ian McNulty
David,

They're running a series of TV ads in the UK at the moment with the
message: Why say 'or'? Why not say 'and' and choose both?

Point being: Isn't it possible that both extremes are right?

i.e. There are too many documents. So many it's impossible to find anything?

Ian

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:10 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> You'll find that being a novice Java developer is ALL you need to be,
>> the framework is that easy to use. Well, you also need acute
>> reverse-engineering skills because the only way you'll find out how
>> things work is by diving into the framework source codes (see
>> GenericDelegator.java for entity-related functions). No docs.
>> Community is too being moving OFBiz forward rapidly.
>
> That's a little inaccurate...
>
> Try:
>
> http://ofbiz.apache.org/documents.html
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/PQM
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/
>
> I always find it entertaining to see people talk about docs. Some
> express dismay at how much documentation there is and how much time it
> takes to go through it all. Others say there are no docs whatsoever
> nor any sort of resource to learn about it... Oh well.
>
> Enjoy!

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

jonwimp
David,

I won't sledge-hammer the point about inadequacy of docs here. Users/engineers just have to see it
for themselves (that I'm wrong, or you're right) :). It's easy to get an overview. But beyond that?

Also, I've been meaning to ask why docs are in video format. I can't search video formats, can't
regexp them, can't annotate, etc. I guess my reverse-engineering ends where video formats start. I
think I tried coding facial recognition algos, but failed that course. Hmm.

Jonathon

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> Er, Ian. I forgot to mention this.
>>
>> The docs for engineers aren't too comprehensive either. Try putting
>> your best Java developers into picking up OFBiz. Take the screen
>> widgets and form widgets for example. See how they fare. Like I said,
>> Java is more documented than OFBiz-specific technologies.
>>
>> BUT.. but it's entirely possible to use Java only, plus
>> non-OFBiz-specific technologies like Freemarker for front-end
>> development convenience, and to skip Minilang and screen/form widgets
>> to a large extent. Non-OFBiz-specific technologies are generally
>> better documented since their developers focus develoment time solely
>> on those techs, like Freemarker (front-end tool) developers don't
>> delve into entity engines (backend tools).
>>
>> As I was telling my boss, it's actually easier to hire Java
>> programmers than to hire Minilang or screen/form widget programmers.
>>
>> So, beware of the implications. Say I code customizations for you in
>> Minilang and screen/form widgets, using almost or entirely zero Java.
>> Future tech support could be an really hairy issue for you.
>>
>> BUT... at some point (I can't guarantee when), Minilang and
>> screen/form widget docs will be complete, audited to be comprehensive,
>> etc. You'll then probably find that programming in Minilang is more
>> cost-effective than in Java. (Either that, or I get paid by someone to
>> completely reverse-engineer and document all of Minilang and
>> screen/form widget in a reasonable timeframe --- say a month. Not an
>> impossible task, just a mountain of Java codes, is all).
>
> Complete coverage of the framework already exists. Start at the link
> below, and continue on to the advanced framework materials:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/PQM

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

David E Jones

Is there something wrong with the current OFBiz wiki linked to below?

http://docs.ofbiz.org/pages/listpages-dirview.action?key=OFBIZ

-David

On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Leon Torres wrote:

> I also believe it would be worthwhile to experiment with an open
> ofbiz wiki.  As the ofbiz community continues to grow, we will
> certainly attain the critical mass necessary to make such a thing
> work.
>
> For instance, we've authored a bunch of cookbooks in .txt format
> about specific tricks and how-to's in OFBIZ:
>
> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>
> Unfortunately contributing to those is hard because it takes an
> investment in time to read, verify, and update the documents on our
> end.  If they were in the form of an open wiki, it would be far
> easier to expand on them.
>
> - Leon
>

> Florin Jurcovici wrote:
>> IMO, an open wiki is the right thing to do. Even if I had some
>> experience which I'd like to share, if the wiki is closed or
>> restricted, I cannot. Some maintainers should review docs
>> occasionally and correct or delete them if they are not OK, maybe
>> draw an outline of the documentation at the beginning then let
>> whoever is willing to fill the pages. But IMO a closed/restricted
>> wiki is not the way to go.
>> --Florin Jurcovici
>> ------------------
>> Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Ian McNulty
David,

I can see where you're coming from on this. This project is better
documented than anything else I've seen in the field.You yourself have
produced a truly awesome amount of documentation. I don't know where you
find the time. All are extremely well written, very clear, very well
laid out. A model of their kind. (No I'm not sucking up - I mean it :)
So what could possibly be the problem.

I found the Introduction Videos and Diagrams page you link to here a
couple of days ago myself.

It was whilst working through these videos that the light bulb went off.

What you're talking us through is a diagram of the wiring harness of a
jumbo jet.

Essential for the engineers who need to service it.

Absolutely the last kind of map a pilot wants to find on his lap.

Know what I mean?

Ian

On Jan 20, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:

> David,
>
> I can see where you're coming from on this. This project is better
> documented than anything else I've seen in the field.You yourself
> have produced a truly awesome amount of documentation. I don't know
> where you find the time. All are extremely well written, very
> clear, very well laid out. A model of their kind. (No I'm not
> sucking up - I mean it :) So what could possibly be the problem.
>
> I found the Introduction Videos and Diagrams page you link to here
> a couple of days ago myself.
>
> It was whilst working through these videos that the light bulb went
> off.
>
> What you're talking us through is a diagram of the wiring harness
> of a jumbo jet.
>
> Essential for the engineers who need to service it.
>
> Absolutely the last kind of map a pilot wants to find on his lap.
>
> Know what I mean?
Uh, yeah, that's because it is meant to cover the framework, not the
applications. The two are very different, change very differently,
need to be understood by different people in different ways, etc. My
current estimate is that to produce something adequate for a "pilot",
given that there are about 100 different "pilot" roles in OFBiz,
would require many times the effort to produce that the framework
videos with their diagrams, reference materials, transcriptions, etc.
Right now I don't have the $500k to get into that... and the $40k
already spent on the documents which are now PDF-dumped into the
docs.ofbiz.org site was clearly inadequate, especially as it is
mostly reference materials (which is why you won't find how-to stuff
in the reference guides, they are references after all, just for
reference purposes). The Application Overview for Users is probably
more of what you're looking for, though that section only represents
maybe 3-5% of what is in OFBiz right now.

Of course, that's assuming such documents could even be written in a
way that is close to generally useful. How do I use it? Well, that
depends on what you want to do... and unfortunately across a few
different industries that list grows into hundreds of thousands of
activities...

So, that's the big question with any document: who is the target
audience? The more specific the answer, the better the document will
address their needs. But who is the target audience for OFBiz? ... ?

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Ian McNulty
Nothing at all wrong with the link.

It's what it's linking too that's the problem.

The topics... the layout... everything speaks to me of engineering
plans, not flight plans.

To start building a flight plan you need a blank page, not one that is
already half full with wiring diagrams.

Even Anil thought he was talking to the Dev not the Users list !!!

Imo there is no users list. If a pilot came across ofbiz.apache.org he
would know at first glance he was in the wrong place.

The difference is between www.ubuntu.com/ and www.debian.org/ The first
welcomes the uninitiated and draws them in. The second looks like a
wonderful resource for engineers. We're not talking about all the
manuals and small print inside the box. Where talking about what it says
at first glance on the tin.

I think I can see where the confusion arises.

You can focus on one or the other, but you can't focus on both on the
same page. (Yes, I know this contradicts my earlier post. But it's a
question of focus. On the user pages the wiring needs to be there, but
buried behind the dashboard. On the engineering pages the reverse it true.)

On Si's recommendation I've started reading Bruce Eckel's 'Thinking In
Java.'  In Chapter 1 under 'The hidden implementation' he draws a
distinction between 'Class Creators' and 'Client Programmers.'

Client Programmers are users of the objects produced by Class Creators -
much of which they are deliberately locked out from to prevent them
monkeying around with things they do not fully understand.

To me, the Dev list is for class creators. The Users list for Client
Programmers.

There is no users list.

Ian

David E. Jones wrote:

> Is there something wrong with the current OFBiz wiki linked to below?
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/pages/listpages-dirview.action?key=OFBIZ
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Leon Torres wrote:
>
>> I also believe it would be worthwhile to experiment with an open
>> ofbiz wiki.  As the ofbiz community continues to grow, we will
>> certainly attain the critical mass necessary to make such a thing work.
>>
>> For instance, we've authored a bunch of cookbooks in .txt format
>> about specific tricks and how-to's in OFBIZ:
>>
>> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>>
>> Unfortunately contributing to those is hard because it takes an
>> investment in time to read, verify, and update the documents on our
>> end.  If they were in the form of an open wiki, it would be far
>> easier to expand on them.
>>
>> - Leon
>>

>> Florin Jurcovici wrote:
>>> IMO, an open wiki is the right thing to do. Even if I had some
>>> experience which I'd like to share, if the wiki is closed or
>>> restricted, I cannot. Some maintainers should review docs
>>> occasionally and correct or delete them if they are not OK, maybe
>>> draw an outline of the documentation at the beginning then let
>>> whoever is willing to fill the pages. But IMO a closed/restricted
>>> wiki is not the way to go.
>>> --Florin Jurcovici
>>> ------------------
>>> Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

cjhowe
It only took Debian 13 years to create a users list
and the keen interest of a billionaire philanthropist.

I think we could get a _real users list with either
half of that equation. Who's with me? ;-)

--- Ian McNulty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Durham
> DH1 2UL
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk

> This communication is for the exclusive use of the
> intended recipient(s) named above and is
> confidential. Any form of distribution, copying,
> discussion or use of this communication, its
> contents, or any information contained herein
> without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you
> receive this communication in error, please notify
> the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191
> 384 4736

> cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of
> software viruses and would recommend that you carry
> out your own virus checks before opening any
> attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

I don't get the proposition that there are 100 different pilot roles.

There are many 1,000s  of different destinations. Maybe more than a
dozen different pilot roles (commercial, fighter, bomber, spotter,
etc.). But but there IS a lowest common denominator. They all fly
planes. They all start off on fixed wing, single engine props. They all
need to understand basic navigation, aerodynamics, flight-engineering etc.

But it is very basic. The need to understand lift, drag, how to
calculate take off velocities etc. But I doubt if they start of with 3D
vector calculus or need to know what a Reynold's number is.

So why can't the target be whatever denominators are common to all pilots?

How to find the door handle and the start button would be top of my
list. If they can't find those then they ain't never gonna fly.

Ian

David E. Jones wrote:

> [...]

Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Yeah. OK Chris. Very funny, but...

OFBiz is already half way down that 13 year road.

And who's to say that Mark Shuttleworth isn't monitoring this group on
his laptop 35,000 feet over the Pacific and wondering if it might be
worth dropping in.

But if you don't think it's worth bothering to clear a landing strip,
then that could never happen. ;)

Ian

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]

Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

I guess that Leon and Opentaps guys in general want to open their cookbooks to the community. Like I said before why not migrate and
integrate them to this page below (The Open For Business Project Wiki) ? I believe both parties (OFBiz and Opentaps communities)
will take advantage of this move.

BTW, it should be better if all pages were below Home page. If someone has some time to spent to rearrange that...

TIA

Jacques

> Is there something wrong with the current OFBiz wiki linked to below?
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/pages/listpages-dirview.action?key=OFBIZ
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Leon Torres wrote:
>
> > I also believe it would be worthwhile to experiment with an open
> > ofbiz wiki.  As the ofbiz community continues to grow, we will
> > certainly attain the critical mass necessary to make such a thing
> > work.
> >
> > For instance, we've authored a bunch of cookbooks in .txt format
> > about specific tricks and how-to's in OFBIZ:
> >
> > http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
> >
> > Unfortunately contributing to those is hard because it takes an
> > investment in time to read, verify, and update the documents on our
> > end.  If they were in the form of an open wiki, it would be far
> > easier to expand on them.
> >
> > - Leon
> >

> > Florin Jurcovici wrote:
> >> IMO, an open wiki is the right thing to do. Even if I had some
> >> experience which I'd like to share, if the wiki is closed or
> >> restricted, I cannot. Some maintainers should review docs
> >> occasionally and correct or delete them if they are not OK, maybe
> >> draw an outline of the documentation at the beginning then let
> >> whoever is willing to fill the pages. But IMO a closed/restricted
> >> wiki is not the way to go.
> >> --Florin Jurcovici
> >> ------------------
> >> Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

cjhowe
Ian,

While I certainly enjoy the analogies, who are you
ultimately suggesting create these lowest common
denominator (LCD) documents?

As has already been mentioned, once you pass that
"aha" moment in OFBiz, it's difficult to understand
why the engineering documentation didn't make sense
the first time around.  3D vector calculus, as you put
it, seems so elementary obvious at that point that
it's difficult to convey it in simpler terms; even
though you remember it not being obvious when you
started.  I don't think it's very time/quality
productive for someone who's passed that "aha" moment
to produce this documentation; at least not without
the aid of an "uninitiated".

If you'd like to be that test subject, I'm sure there
are a mess of people, including myself, that would be
willing to help explain things to you as you make your
way through the concepts, documenting as you go.  But
the POV of the documentation cannot be from someone
who's already gotten the bird off the ground, because
they're not really sure which button they pressed to
make it all seem second nature.

> [...]

> Durham
> DH1 2UL
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk

> This communication is for the exclusive use of the
> intended recipient(s) named above and is
> confidential. Any form of distribution, copying,
> discussion or use of this communication, its
> contents, or any information contained herein
> without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you
> receive this communication in error, please notify
> the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191
> 384 4736

> cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of
> software viruses and would recommend that you carry
> out your own virus checks before opening any
> attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Chris,
> I don't think it's very time/quality
> productive for someone who's passed that "aha" moment
> to produce this documentation; at least not without
> the aid of an "uninitiated".

I'd agree with that all the way. You need a dummy to ask where the keys
are and an expert to show him the way.

That's why I'm deliberately standing here on the tarmac complaining that
I can't find the door.

Trouble is that, in expert communities like this, normal protocol is to
give the dummy an RTFM to help kick him off down the road to learning to
become an engineer.

I'm not saying that's happened here. Far from it. This group is an
exception. I've been surprised nobody has yet shown me the door (as in
exit, not cockpit ;)

But this is why I've been saying from the very beginning that we need a
real users group. Where dummy questions are welcomed, not just tolerated.

> If you'd like to be that test subject, I'm sure there
> are a mess of people, including myself, that would be
> willing to help explain things to you as you make your
> way through the concepts, documenting as you go.

Pleased to hear it :) Like I said. This group seems to be the exception,
not the rule.

>   But
> the POV of the documentation cannot be from someone
> who's already gotten the bird off the ground, because
> they're not really sure which button they pressed to
> make it all seem second nature.

Very, very true. Which brings us back to your first question,

> While I certainly enjoy the analogies, who are you
> ultimately suggesting create these lowest common
> denominator (LCD) documents?

To begin with I thought that might be me. Now I'm not so sure.

I'd love to do it but...

Look. I have to be honest. Don't want to promise anything I can't
deliver. I'm on oldy. Brought up in the 50s. Already half shagged out.
Can't do 18 hour days anymore. I'm finding dealing with the emails
difficult enough. They leave my head spinning. I need frequent lie downs :-\

My plan would be to clear the space for it to happen. A blank page with
only one mission. To put absolutely nothing there that isn't necessary,
remove every  possible obstacle in the way.

We are in the age of Web 2.0 and user-generated content.

Clearing the brush from the landing strip is not such a huge undertaking.

Letting it be know all visitors are welcome not such an expensive
message to convey.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

They will arrive.

When they do, they'll tell you what they need.

Just try stopping them :)

Ian

> [...]

Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Chris, David, Everybody.

One last thought on the subject before I have my porridge and another
lie down ;)

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever taken a good hard look at the
osCommerce, Zen Cart or Ubuntu forums?

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum

http://forums.oscommerce.com

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Yes. I know php is nasty. But that's not the point.

Look at the accessibility and structure of the interface.

All user levels are accommodated.

All find their natural place.

Nearly a quarter of a million members on Ubuntu. 120K on osCommerce.
2,347 and 824 currently active respectively at this very moment as we speak

A working model of how to build a user base surely, if nothing else?

Ian

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]

Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

*hand up!*

But that's after I'm done with my 13 days to project deadline, or 13 weeks after I get fired.
(Which probably is the same circumstance for every other member in this community!)

But you're right. Resources needed. Not always money, but something at least. Time or brain cells.
And to get that, we'll need a massive recruitment engine.

To be honest, I was not quite recruited, or not recruited the right way. As boss and I was looking
back to time when we first spoke with Si Chen, it had seemed I wouldn't have gotten into "working"
OFBiz if I hadn't taken apart the plane, complained to BoingBoing Bad Planes, Inc, and showed them
I could fix stuff. BUT... but all this is understandable. Do you have time of day to write me docs
on how to use Notepad? Nope. But still, it's hard to imagine manufacturers that send you user
manuals AFTER you've sent them a blueprint you drew up yourself. Oh, that happens, some products
made in east side of world.

Ian and you have a point, it starts somewhere. Do we take time to write docs (welcome more users),
or do we spend time to earn money/time to write docs? Chicken and egg problem. Maybe we just need
the right kind of contributors to start the spark (billionaires? or madmax workaholics/fanatics
like me?).

And David is also right. There are multitudes of folks who come in, grab help, get out. I'm not
like that (recruit me! recruit me!).

I see a time when ERPs around the world are OFBiz-standard or OFBiz-certified.

In any case, I'm with you! *military band music wafting into scene*. Tell me where I can do some
damage! Er, I mean docs.

Jonathon

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>>
> ==============================================================================================
>> This communication is for the exclusive use of the
>> intended recipient(s) named above and is
>> confidential. Any form of distribution, copying,
>> discussion or use of this communication, its
>> contents, or any information contained herein
>> without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you
>> receive this communication in error, please notify
>> the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191
>> 384 4736

>> cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of
>> software viruses and would recommend that you carry
>> out your own virus checks before opening any
>> attachment.
>>
> ==============================================================================================

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

I'm afraid I have not a lot to offer, Nevertheless I try :

From: "Ian McNulty" <[hidden email]>
> Chris,
> > I don't think it's very time/quality
> > productive for someone who's passed that "aha" moment
> > to produce this documentation; at least not without
> > the aid of an "uninitiated".
>
> I'd agree with that all the way. You need a dummy to ask where the keys
> are and an expert to show him the way.

That's a good point. I learnt something like that back in school about man-machine interface (UI). It suggested to always put an
option in UI allowing to hide options not needed for a beginners and the reverse to show what is needed for an expert (it was about
expert systems, you remember that one ;o). I did not have the luck to work in AI business but I always tried to persuade my
successive bosses to adopt this idea, I failed. Perhaps one day we will see that in OFBiz now that I'm my own boss...

> That's why I'm deliberately standing here on the tarmac complaining that
> I can't find the door.
>
> Trouble is that, in expert communities like this, normal protocol is to
> give the dummy an RTFM to help kick him off down the road to learning to
> become an engineer.
>
> I'm not saying that's happened here. Far from it. This group is an
> exception. I've been surprised nobody has yet shown me the door (as in
> exit, not cockpit ;)
>
> But this is why I've been saying from the very beginning that we need a
> real users group. Where dummy questions are welcomed, not just tolerated.

Yes good idea IMHO, but how, where to set it up, do the community agree ?

> > If you'd like to be that test subject, I'm sure there
> > are a mess of people, including myself, that would be
> > willing to help explain things to you as you make your
> > way through the concepts, documenting as you go.
>
> Pleased to hear it :) Like I said. This group seems to be the exception,
> not the rule.
>
> >   But
> > the POV of the documentation cannot be from someone
> > who's already gotten the bird off the ground, because
> > they're not really sure which button they pressed to
> > make it all seem second nature.
> >

> Very, very true. Which brings us back to your first question,
>
> > While I certainly enjoy the analogies, who are you
> > ultimately suggesting create these lowest common
> > denominator (LCD) documents?
> >

> To begin with I thought that might be me. Now I'm not so sure.
>
> I'd love to do it but...
>
> Look. I have to be honest. Don't want to promise anything I can't
> deliver. I'm on oldy. Brought up in the 50s. Already half shagged out.
> Can't do 18 hour days anymore. I'm finding dealing with the emails
> difficult enough. They leave my head spinning. I need frequent lie downs :-\

I never did 18 hours a day, that would have been a nighmare for me (Ok I did some but only under huge pressure ;o).
But anway it's no required that you work 18 hours a day to achieve some you know... I'm not an italian but I like "Chi va piano va
sano". In french we say also "Qui veut aller loin, ménage sa monture", in this case we are our own "monture". Ok, in reality I'm a
workalcoolic, but I know that's bad !

> My plan would be to clear the space for it to happen. A blank page with
> only one mission. To put absolutely nothing there that isn't necessary,
> remove every  possible obstacle in the way.

OK, do you want an idea here, a tool ? Please take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map. If you prefer a quick trip :
http://www.thinksmart.com/mission/workout/mindmapping_intro.html

A free tool  ? http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

HTH

Jacques

> [...]
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
> ==============================================================================================
> This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of
distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior
consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44
(0)191 384 4736

would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
> ==============================================================================================

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Jacques,

Well... Actually... I think you're actually offering quite a lot here.

>>> I don't think it's very time/quality
>>> productive for someone who's passed that "aha" moment
>>> to produce this documentation; at least not without
>>> the aid of an "uninitiated".
>>>
>> I'd agree with that all the way. You need a dummy to ask where the keys
>> are and an expert to show him the way.
>>

> That's a good point. I learnt something like that back in school about man-machine interface (UI). It suggested to always put an
> option in UI allowing to hide options not needed for a beginners and the reverse to show what is needed for an expert (it was about
> expert systems, you remember that one ;o). I did not have the luck to work in AI business but I always tried to persuade my
> successive bosses to adopt this idea, I failed. Perhaps one day we will see that in OFBiz now that I'm my own boss...

Had forgotten about UI and expert systems. But that's exactly what I've
been trying to say.

> I'm not an italian but I like "Chi va piano va
> sano". In french we say also "Qui veut aller loin, ménage sa monture", in this case we are our own "monture".

Jacques. I'm a Brit. Don't you know they teach us to shout louder, not
to learn other languages ;)

Shameful certainly, but unfortunately very true. So I had to look it up
in Babel Fish, which tells me:

'Qui veut aller loin, ménage sa monture' means 'Who wants to go far, household his mounting'

' Chi va piano va sano' means 'Who goes flat goes healthy'

Isn't technology wonderful :-\

I'm guessing  it might mean something like the less you do the more you
achieve - which is a kind of Taoist principle, with which I would most
heartily agree  http://www.chinapage.com/gnl.html

>> My plan would be to clear the space for it to happen. A blank page with
>> only one mission. To put absolutely nothing there that isn't necessary,
>> remove every  possible obstacle in the way.
>>

> OK, do you want an idea here, a tool ? Please take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map. If you prefer a quick trip :
> http://www.thinksmart.com/mission/workout/mindmapping_intro.html
>
> A free tool  ? http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Funny you should mention that. In a previous life I was a TV producer
and moved on to making management training films. The company I worked
for in the 80s made a series featuring Tony Buzan - the inventor of Mind
Mapping and author of 'Master Your Memory' - so I worked with him
several times. The joke around the office was that when he phoned home
he had to look up his own number in his Filofax. I never saw him doing
that myself. But one day he did leave without his briefcase :)  Which
reminds me of Florin Jurcovici's signature 'Why do psychics have to ask
you for your name?'

Joking aside. I'm not knocking it. It is a very useful tool. I didn't
know about freemind on sourceforge, but I will certainly be checking it
out. That's my weekend taken care of then :) Hope you have a good one too.

Ian

From: "Ian McNulty" <[hidden email]>

> I'm guessing  it might mean something like the less you do the more you
> achieve - which is a kind of Taoist principle, with which I would most
> heartily agree  http://www.chinapage.com/gnl.html

It means more "to go far go slowly". BTW sometimes ago my wife offered me Lao-tseu "Tao-tö king" because when I knew her I spoke
about something I had read a long time ago and that was always in my mind at this moment (I'm not sure it's from Lao-tseu, but it's
Tao) : in french "La pluie frappe la pluie" something like "Rain drops beats rain drops". When you begin to think at such things (I
mean really, like visualizing it), peace is near...
Finally, I discovered OFBiz and now I have no time to read Lao-tseu anymore... Will get peace later.

> >> My plan would be to clear the space for it to happen. A blank page with
> >> only one mission. To put absolutely nothing there that isn't necessary,
> >> remove every  possible obstacle in the way.

> > OK, do you want an idea here, a tool ? Please take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map. If you prefer a quick trip :
> > http://www.thinksmart.com/mission/workout/mindmapping_intro.html
> >
> > A free tool  ? http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

> Funny you should mention that. In a previous life I was a TV producer
> and moved on to making management training films. The company I worked
> for in the 80s made a series featuring Tony Buzan - the inventor of Mind
> Mapping and author of 'Master Your Memory' - so I worked with him
> several times. The joke around the office was that when he phoned home
> he had to look up his own number in his Filofax. I never saw him doing
> that myself. But one day he did leave without his briefcase :)  Which
> reminds me of Florin Jurcovici's signature 'Why do psychics have to ask
> you for your name?'

What made me discovered mind-map was a documentary film on TV about schools in Finland which are using a sort of Mind-maping for
children with great results. And I like this idea of having a complete set of colored pencils and drawing circles and such
progressively when ideas come... But I have no ideas :/

Wooww.. we are totally out of subject at this point, sorry dear user ML readers :o

> Joking aside. I'm not knocking it. It is a very useful tool. I didn't
> know about freemind on sourceforge, but I will certainly be checking it
> out. That's my weekend taken care of then :) Hope you have a good one too.

Thanks, I will try, promised. Have a great week-end !

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

David E Jones

Nope. The users list is for users of OFBiz. The dev list is for
developers of OFBiz. There is commonly confusion around this point.

On the users list we don't care if the users is a developer
customizing OFBiz or an end user who is only seeing OFBiz from a web
browser.

If you're trying to say that the community isn't geared up to support
end users who just touch OFBiz through a browser and are people
fulfilling orders and managing warehouses, then you're are 100%
correct. This community is not even close to geared up for something
like that. Not even close. We also don't have major aspirations to
doing that because there would be a significant resource gap. If you
have some way of staffing such a thing that has eluded the rest of
us, please let us know!!!

-David

On Jan 20, 2007, at 2:03 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:

> [...]
> DH1 2UL
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
> ========================
> This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended
> recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of
> distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its
> contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent
> is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error,
> please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384
> 4736

> any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would
> recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening
> any attachment.
> ========================

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

Sound great to me Ian. I guess what I'm wondering is if you're really
interested in this, what is YOUR plan to make it so? I guess in other
words, it sounds like you don't like my landing strip. So what would
your landing strip look like, and what are your plans for creating it?

-David

On Jan 20, 2007, at 2:33 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:

> [...]
>>> focus on both on the same page. (Yes, I know this contradicts my
>>> earlier
>>> post. But it's a question of focus. On the user pages the wiring
>>> needs to be there, but buried behind the dashboard. On the
>>> engineering
>>> pages the reverse it true.)
>>>
>>> On Si's recommendation I've started reading Bruce
>>> Eckel's 'Thinking In Java.'  In Chapter 1 under 'The hidden
>>> implementation' he draws a distinction between 'Class Creators'
>>> and 'Client
>>> Programmers.'
>>>
>>> Client Programmers are users of the objects produced
>>> by Class Creators - much of which they are deliberately locked
>>> out from
>>> to prevent them monkeying around with things they do not fully
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> To me, the Dev list is for class creators. The Users

>>> 60 Birkdale Gardens
>>> Durham
>>> DH1 2UL
>>>
>>> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
>>> e: [hidden email]
>>> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk

>> =========================
>>
>>> This communication is for the exclusive use of the
>>> intended recipient(s) named above and is
>>> confidential. Any form of distribution, copying,
>>> discussion or use of this communication, its
>>> contents, or any information contained herein
>>> without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you
>>> receive this communication in error, please notify
>>> the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191
>>> 384 4736

>>> cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of
>>> software viruses and would recommend that you carry
>>> out your own virus checks before opening any
>>> attachment.

>> =========================

> ------------------------
> mcnultyMEDIA
> 60 Birkdale Gardens
> Durham
> DH1 2UL
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
> ========================
> This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended
> recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of
> distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its
> contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent
> is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error,
> please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384
> 4736

> any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would
> recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening
> any attachment.
> ========================

Re: OFBiz/opentaps as a small business accounting package?

David E Jones

Maybe all of this discussion is being difficult because of one simple
thing:

Apache OFBiz is NOT like oscommerce, ubuntu, etc. It is NOT meant to
be a use as-is, out of the box, piece of software. It is meant to be,
is designed as, and is implemented as a foundation and starting point
for custom enterprise solutions, be they for one company or one
thousand companies.

Why would we want to be an OOTB project? There are lots of those for
ecommerce and small business systems and I see no reason to compete
there. It is a market well served. We're going after the tough market
with medium sized businesses that need custom stuff to grow. The OOTB
solutions are way too limiting, making it impossible to scale
operations. The traditional enterprise systems can be customized to
do exactly what they need, but cost more than their entire yearly
revenue.

Looking around the OFBiz documents and such I don't think this
distinction is adequately represented, so I added some text similar
to the above to the home page of ofbiz.apache.org. It should be
public within a few hours, ie whenever the next deployment job runs.

-David

On Jan 20, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> There are many 1,000s  of different destinations.
>>> Maybe more than a dozen different pilot roles (commercial, fighter,
>>> bomber, spotter, etc.). But but there IS a lowest common
>>> denominator.
>>> They all fly planes. They all start off on fixed wing, single
>>> engine props. They all need to understand basic navigation,
>>> aerodynamics,
>>> flight-engineering etc.
>>>
>>> But it is very basic. The need to understand lift,
>>> drag, how to calculate take off velocities etc. But I doubt if
>>> they start of with 3D vector calculus or need to know what a
>>> Reynold's
>>> number is.
>>>
>>> So why can't the target be whatever denominators are
>>> common to all pilots?
>>>
>>> How to find the door handle and the start button
>>> would be top of my list. If they can't find those then they ain't

>>> 60 Birkdale Gardens