PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

phug
Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance on PCI.  I've read some of the posts on *Is
OFBiz PCI compliant?* and I still have questions on the process to get
certified.

http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2006-June/012459.html
http://www.nabble.com/Users---OFBiz-application-security-td3263502.html

What is the process on getting the certification from OfBiz's point of
view?  Is there a wiki or document to help us in the field secure for a PCI
examination?
Or a better question could be what are the specific areas to focus on for
PCI compliance - ie. CC#, CVV code, etc.

Obviously, one area of focus is on the installation of OFBiz to ensure that
there are no "back doors" with the seed data used to build an OFBiz site.
All users on the system need to accountable and have a purpose on the system
without unecessary rights throughout the site.  In addition, use of proper
256-bit SSL certificates for all browser communications.

Any info on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-PH

Re: PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

BJ Freeman
ofbiz by it self can not pass the audit, since routers, firewall
policies are also part of the security.
however if the proper installation of ofbiz is followed,
it will.
so it is the responsibility of the installer to make sure it passes the
audit.
hope that helps.

Patrick Huegel sent the following on 10/14/2008 2:13 PM:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for some guidance on PCI.  I've read some of the posts on *Is
> OFBiz PCI compliant?* and I still have questions on the process to get
> certified.
>
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/users/2006-June/012459.html
> http://www.nabble.com/Users---OFBiz-application-security-td3263502.html
>
> What is the process on getting the certification from OfBiz's point of
> view?  Is there a wiki or document to help us in the field secure for a PCI
> examination?
> Or a better question could be what are the specific areas to focus on for
> PCI compliance - ie. CC#, CVV code, etc.
>
> Obviously, one area of focus is on the installation of OFBiz to ensure that
> there are no "back doors" with the seed data used to build an OFBiz site.
> All users on the system need to accountable and have a purpose on the system
> without unecessary rights throughout the site.  In addition, use of proper
> 256-bit SSL certificates for all browser communications.
>
> Any info on this is very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -PH

Re: PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

phug
Thanks for the quick reply.

Setting the router/firewall policies issue aside, my follow-up then is what's required for a 'proper installation' of OfBiz to prepare for a PCI audit.  If we follow the Apache OfBiz Production Setup Guide, is that enough to secure OfBiz for us to then tackle the network issues (router/firewall)?
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide

Has anyone gone though a PCI audit and is willing to share some insights into what is covered in one of these audits?

Has anyone used a 3rd-party audit service or would recommend one from experience such as:
McAfee - http://www.mcafeesecure.com/us/pci-intro.jsp
Truste - https://getcertified.truste.org/ecommerce/
403 Labs - http://www.403labs.com/solution/vulnerability

Thx,
-PH

Re: PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

BJ Freeman
this is not an official ofbiz stance.
short answer you need a person that understands security and how to test
applications.

http://www.qualys.com/forms/google/pci_trial/?lsid=6874&leadsource=80886

on the fire wall and the Linux firewall  I have three ports open. 80,
443, and the webadmin port.
I change the web admin port on a regular basis. this is a hassle but
keep it from being found as easy. I review the log to see if any
attempts have been made against the port.

    * Requirement 1 is about having a properly configured firewall. You
could get fancy and use a policy reporting tool or run an automated pen
testing tool to make sure the right attacks are blocked. But ultimately,
just make sure the customer has simple perimeter defenses in place and
working.
    * As of PCI 1.2, which goes live in October, antivirus (Requirement
5) is now beyond Windows devices. You need to help customers think about
how they are going to "prove" viruses are blocked on Linux, Unix and Mac
OS X. It's not clear whether customers will be expected to load Symantec
on their mainframes, but ultimately, this is a pretty easy box to check.
this is especially true for the Content side of ofbiz.

    * Change the default passwords (Requirement 2) on devices like
firewalls and servers. Yes, if you use the default password in a
wireless access point or any other device, you'll be owned. This isn't
hard, but most folks don't think about it.
I have added Eca that checks longing and sends a email to change it.
also an Eca for password strength. they are locked out if they do not
change or do not put in a proper strength password

A majority of attacks now directly target Web applications, so PCI pays
a lot of attention to securing Web applications in Requirement 6. Though
customers need to walk before they run, some customers focus on just
installing a Web application firewall and figure their work is done. Not
so much. The reality is that Web application firewalls and code reviews
(the key aspects of Requirement 6.6) are important, but most customers
don't know what they don't know. So run a Web application scanner on the
Internet-accessible applications and find out how porous those apps are.
Then you can figure out how to fix the issues.
This what you are ask here. but as the trunk is always changing there is
no pat answer, other than do the processes each time you upgrade.

Requirement 3 of PCI-DSS is all about protecting credit card data where
it lives -- the database. Many organizations focus on strengthening the
perimeter of the network, which I term an "outside-in" perspective.
That's great and important, but not sufficient. You also need to work
with your customers on looking from the inside out. This means finding
all the credit card data and figuring out what systems and/or resources
have access to the data. Ensure those attack vectors are protected. It
also makes sense to think about database monitoring and vulnerability
assessments to keep perspectives on the data, not just the systems.

This will depend if you use a seperate db server. if you have the single
server and the ports are closed. you only have to worry about having the
webtools accessible.

Logging event and other key data is the focus of Requirement 10. While
it's easy to meet this requirement, it's hard to do it right. To meet
the spirit of PCI-DSS you just need to gather some event data and keep
it for a while. But that won't necessarily help your customers when they
have to respond to an incident. I advise customers to log as much as
they can, from networks, systems, databases, applications, physical
security systems and so on. The more log data, the better.

Make sure the customer is protecting the log data -- this includes
storing off- device and cryptographically signing and sequencing -- to
make sure it can be used as evidence in a prosecution. The customer can
always throw log data out if they don't need it -- hopefully, they won't!
also run a cron job looking for holes.
I see a lot of customers that are just looking to check the box that
says "compliance," as opposed to focusing on protecting the credit card
data. Compliance is not a thing you finish, so when I talk to folks I
always caution them against taking an "audit-centric" view of
compliance. Many security gurus say security is a process, not a product
or an audit, and they are right. The best way you can help your clients
and ensure they don't have silly compliance errors is to help them
understand the lifecycle of information protection. For better or worse,
security people are never finished, and this philosophical adjustment is
the best gift you can give to any client.

phug sent the following on 10/16/2008 2:47 PM:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Setting the router/firewall policies issue aside, my follow-up then is
> what's required for a 'proper installation' of OfBiz to prepare for a PCI
> audit.  If we follow the Apache OfBiz Production Setup Guide, is that enough
> to secure OfBiz for us to then tackle the network issues (router/firewall)?
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
>
> Has anyone gone though a PCI audit and is willing to share some insights
> into what is covered in one of these audits?
>
> Has anyone used a 3rd-party audit service or would recommend one from
> experience such as:
> McAfee - http://www.mcafeesecure.com/us/pci-intro.jsp
> Truste - https://getcertified.truste.org/ecommerce/
> 403 Labs - http://www.403labs.com/solution/vulnerability
>
> Thx,
> -PH

Re: PCI Security Standards Council Compliance

phug
Excellent info.  Thanks for the response.  This is exactly what I was looking for to help guide us in the right direction with PCI.

Many thanks,
-PH