POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
I've since switched to pulling down trunk data, instead of branch. (thanks
for the tip!).

I'm still a bit confused after reading as much as I can take for one day,
and that time was massaged with a few stiff drinks.

1)  DemoRetail.xml -- Is this only for demo data?  If I only use seed data,
does the file matter at all?  And if it does, where is it called from?  I've
checked pos-container.xml and all of the xui and properties files within the
/special/pos filesystem.  When I changed the productstoreid to be correct in
this file, it seemed to make a difference, which confused me even more,
becuase it says that files is only used for demo data in the
ofbiz-container.xml.  A bit of light shed on this subject will help me sleep
a bit better! Thanks!

2) If I load no demo data, where am I to configure how a button actually
interacts with a item in my inventory?

I know these are probably questions that have been handled, but I'm
obviously not searching for the right terms to get the POS end configured.

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden,

From: "Branden Strickland" <[hidden email]>
> 1)  DemoRetail.xml -- Is this only for demo data?

Yes

>If I only use seed data,
> does the file matter at all?

No

>And if it does, where is it called from?

Automaticaly by ant run-install (you should look for these words in all the code if you want to understand how it works, but I guess
this shoudl not be a priority for you at this stage)

>I've
> checked pos-container.xml and all of the xui and properties files within the
> /special/pos filesystem.  When I changed the productstoreid to be correct in
> this file, it seemed to make a difference, which confused me even more,

Which file ?

> becuase it says that files is only used for demo data in the
> ofbiz-container.xml.  A bit of light shed on this subject will help me sleep
> a bit better! Thanks!

You should provide your own data in the DB. This is a convenient way to load them for demo purpose. You may have a look into
Webtools/XML Data Import

> 2) If I load no demo data, where am I to configure how a button actually
> interacts with a item in my inventory?

posmain.xml. As I answered recently in dev ML :
<<The idea behind it is that you generally don't want to have access to *all* your products. Most of the time you use a barcode
scanner to get products references. It's up to you to show whatever products you want using a combination of panel (aka categories)
and products in these panels. Actually, remember that the UI, as it is, is a demo...>>

Keep cool, OFBiz is known to have a pretty long learning curve. From 1 to 4 years according to David, and I plenty agree. And even
after 3 years, I still learn...

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
I was excited and typed that email too fast.. I need to proof read!

Hah!  Thanks for the input!
The only reason I don't see myself using the barcode is because I'm planning
on using this application in a pizza shop that I recently got involved in.
So unless I stick generic barcodes in a flip book or something, I'm not sure
that's feasible.  ALTHOUGH!  If I can configure the buttons in the XUI of
the POS to open new "windows" like the manager and promo button, then I'll
be ok!  (You'll have to excuse me if I use the wrong terms, I'm a system
admin (Linux based) with lots of experience, but this is the first time I've
gotten involved in something that's still mainly in the development stage.
It's my first time for svn and ant!

>I've
> checked pos-container.xml and all of the xui and properties files within
the
> /special/pos filesystem.  When I changed the productstoreid to be correct
in
> this file, it seemed to make a difference, which confused me even more,

>>Which file ?
the DemoRetail.xml file.  Which is why I was confused, as even though I'm
using "ant  run-install-seed" It still seems to be using that file for
something as a last resort it seems.

One last question... Being as you can see that I'm very interested in using
the POS side as a start (time sheet, inventory management will be nice down
the road, but not for now).  Where do you suggest I start reading to get a
more indepth feel as to how to configure the POS XUI to start adapting it to
my situation?  Most of the readings are for the ecommerse end.  Although I
think this could make a great in-store POS.
Things like: What part of the XUI configs (which I've been looking at) link
the button to the actual item in the one of your catalogs (or category?!)?

Thanks for any help.  I'm working on this day and night, I simply don't have
3 years! HAH! Who needs sleep right?  Entrepreneurs don't sleep!

Thanks!

Branden -

From: "Branden Strickland" <[hidden email]>

>I was excited and typed that email too fast.. I need to proof read!
>
> Hah!  Thanks for the input!
> The only reason I don't see myself using the barcode is because I'm planning
> on using this application in a pizza shop that I recently got involved in.
> So unless I stick generic barcodes in a flip book or something, I'm not sure
> that's feasible.  ALTHOUGH!  If I can configure the buttons in the XUI of
> the POS to open new "windows" like the manager and promo button, then I'll
> be ok!  (You'll have to excuse me if I use the wrong terms, I'm a system
> admin (Linux based) with lots of experience, but this is the first time I've
> gotten involved in something that's still mainly in the development stage.
> It's my first time for svn and ant!

Panels is the right way to do it un your case, I guess.

>>>Which file ?
> the DemoRetail.xml file.  Which is why I was confused, as even though I'm
> using "ant  run-install-seed" It still seems to be using that file for
> something as a last resort it seems.

I will  have to check, but maybe you are true since some things in there are mandatory for the POS to work. Also do not forget that
the POS as it is is mostly an UI demo... THe idea is to adapt DemoRetail.xml following your needs and load it in the DB thru a way
or another.

> One last question... Being as you can see that I'm very interested in using
> the POS side as a start (time sheet, inventory management will be nice down
> the road, but not for now).  Where do you suggest I start reading to get a
> more indepth feel as to how to configure the POS XUI to start adapting it to
> my situation?
>Most of the readings are for the ecommerse end.  Although I
> think this could make a great in-store POS.

There is not much documentation about the POS (I guess you have already read all of them). But it's pretty straitghforward to
adapt/setup.

> Things like: What part of the XUI configs (which I've been looking at) link
> the button to the actual item in the one of your catalogs (or category?!)?

I guess the best is (from the log KeyboardAdaptor.java:253:INFO ] Added [SKU.GZ-1001] to KeyboardAdaptor) to look a
KeyboardAdaptor.java:253. You should find your way beginning there, but I wonder why you need that...

> Thanks for any help.  I'm working on this day and night, I simply don't have
> 3 years! HAH! Who needs sleep right?  Entrepreneurs don't sleep!

Everyone sleep one day, at least after the last ;o) Philip K. Dick experienced some about that (beware he finished mad, but he used
much more than stiff drinks)

Jacques

> Thanks!
>
> Branden -
>
> On Feb 6, 2008 11:50 PM, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Branden,
>>
>> From: "Branden Strickland" <[hidden email]>
>> > 1)  DemoRetail.xml -- Is this only for demo data?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>> >If I only use seed data,
>> > does the file matter at all?
>>
>> No
>>
>> >And if it does, where is it called from?
>>
>> Automaticaly by ant run-install (you should look for these words in all
>> the code if you want to understand how it works, but I guess
>> this shoudl not be a priority for you at this stage)
>>
>> >I've
>> > checked pos-container.xml and all of the xui and properties files within
>> the
>> > /special/pos filesystem.  When I changed the productstoreid to be
>> correct in
>> > this file, it seemed to make a difference, which confused me even more,
>>
>> Which file ?
>>
>> > becuase it says that files is only used for demo data in the
>> > ofbiz-container.xml.  A bit of light shed on this subject will help me
>> sleep
>> > a bit better! Thanks!
>>
>> You should provide your own data in the DB. This is a convenient way to
>> load them for demo purpose. You may have a look into
>> Webtools/XML Data Import
>>
>> > 2) If I load no demo data, where am I to configure how a button actually
>> > interacts with a item in my inventory?
>>
>> posmain.xml. As I answered recently in dev ML :
>> <<The idea behind it is that you generally don't want to have access to
>> *all* your products. Most of the time you use a barcode
>> scanner to get products references. It's up to you to show whatever
>> products you want using a combination of panel (aka categories)
>> and products in these panels. Actually, remember that the UI, as it is, is
>> a demo...>>
>>
>> Keep cool, OFBiz is known to have a pretty long learning curve. From 1 to
>> 4 years according to David, and I plenty agree. And even
>> after 3 years, I still learn...
>>
>> Jacques

RE: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Christopher L
Branden,

Make sure to click on the yellow "configurable pc" in the POS.  It allows configurable items to be used (i.e. pizza with selectable toppings) and I it would imagine would easily suit your purposes.

We need to get away from the "barcode centric" way that we pitch the POS.  Restaurants generally don't use scanners.

To get a feel for what to configure, start in the pos/config and pos/screens.  Also check the applications/accounting/payment and framework/base/config/.

I don't know how early you are in the process, but I'll give you random thoughts:

1)  Get the menu completely written down.  Figure out how best to enter in these items.
2)  Figure out how you are going to do credit card payment.  Through the pos or cc box?
3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? - orders, payment, etc.
4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?  Receipt printer?

Chris Lombardi

> [...]
> >>
> >> You should provide your own data in the DB. This is a convenient way to
> >> load them for demo purpose. You may have a look into
> >> Webtools/XML Data Import

> >> posmain.xml. As I answered recently in dev ML :
> >> <<The idea behind it is that you generally don't want to have access to
> >> *all* your products. Most of the time you use a barcode
> >> scanner to get products references. It's up to you to show whatever
> >> products you want using a combination of panel (aka categories)
> >> and products in these panels. Actually, remember that the UI, as it is, is
> >> a demo...>>
> >>
> >> Keep cool, OFBiz is known to have a pretty long learning curve. From 1 to
> >> 4 years according to David, and I plenty agree. And even
> >> after 3 years, I still learn...
> >>
> >> Jacques

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Thanks for the response Christopher!

1)  Get the menu completely written down.  Figure out how best to enter in
these items.
---This is done already, I'm working with the Pizza Shop owner to get the
menu setup.

2)  Figure out how you are going to do credit card payment.  Through the pos
or cc box?
---We'll register the sale as CC but use the external CC reader to process
the sale

3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? -
orders, payment, etc.
---I believe I'm going to a client address field, and add it to the store
receipt and print that for the cook and delivery.

4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?
 Receipt printer?
---The owner is more than willing to purchase the entire getup.  I'm going
to find some full terminal solutions that are JPOS hardware compatible (from
what I read, ofbiz is compatible with JPOS hardware correct?)

I'm lead to another question through all of this.  After quickly learning
how to modify the POS XUI screen, I'm very happy!  Although, Jacques
mentioned something that DemoRetail.xml isn't used with strictly seed data,
and that you need to use your "webapps" to create some sort of DB export to
xml for a "new - non demo" DemoRetail.xml equivalent.  I try not to pester
dev's too much with things I can learn though reading, but I have NO clue
how to do this, and can't find any literature.
While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I notice
that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses to
connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button name="
is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out WHERE
to find my product's ID"
To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my catalog
under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button name"
of that item actually is in my DB?

This will get my snowball rolling down hill I think.  After which, hopefully
I'll gain a bit of speed on my own! ;)

Thanks!
On Feb 7, 2008 11:11 AM, Christopher L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > much more than stiff drinks)
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Branden -

> all

> within
> more,

> me

> actually

> is, is

RE: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Christopher L

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:31:28 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

> 3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? -
> orders, payment, etc.
> ---I believe I'm going to a client address field, and add it to the store
> receipt and print that for the cook and delivery.

I'd also consider some way of reconciling what the drivers went out with and what they brought back.  I haven't thought about this scenario, but the process as it stands would be ringing up the sale (cash, cc?) receipts being printed with address info, delivery guy goes out, delivers pizza, gets cash or cc info, comes back then puts the money in the till?

Wouldn't that mess up the nightly register reports?  I.e. how do you know at the time whether to ring up the sale as cash or credit?  Maybe make a new payment type of "delivery"?

> 4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?
>  Receipt printer?
> ---The owner is more than willing to purchase the entire getup.  I'm going
> to find some full terminal solutions that are JPOS hardware compatible (from
> what I read, ofbiz is compatible with JPOS hardware correct?)

Ofbiz is compatible with JPOS.  There can be some driver support issues with linux, and vendors don't necessarily confess that they use java wrapped native binaries as their JPOS drivers.

So far, I have had success with elo touchscreens and magtek msrs on linux.  My experience with MMF cash drawers and Star printers has been somewhat mixed on linux.

> I'm lead to another question through all of this.  After quickly learning
> how to modify the POS XUI screen, I'm very happy!  Although, Jacques
> mentioned something that DemoRetail.xml isn't used with strictly seed data,
> and that you need to use your "webapps" to create some sort of DB export to
> xml for a "new - non demo" DemoRetail.xml equivalent.  I try not to pester
> dev's too much with things I can learn though reading, but I have NO clue
> how to do this, and can't find any literature.

I'm not 100% clear on what you are saying here, but I think that just means you have to enter your own products in the database.  The products you enter into the pos must relate to products in the DB.

> While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I notice
> that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
> something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses to
> connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button name="
> is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out WHERE
> to find my product's ID"
> To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my catalog
> under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button name"
> of that item actually is in my DB?

The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a productid.

> This will get my snowball rolling down hill I think.  After which, hopefully
> I'll gain a bit of speed on my own! ;)
>
> Thanks!
> On Feb 7, 2008 11:11 AM, Christopher L <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Branden,
> >
> > Make sure to click on the yellow "configurable pc" in the POS.  It allows
> > configurable items to be used (i.e. pizza with selectable toppings) and I
> > it would imagine would easily suit your purposes.
> >
> > We need to get away from the "barcode centric" way that we pitch the POS.
> >  Restaurants generally don't use scanners.
> >
> > To get a feel for what to configure, start in the pos/config and
> > pos/screens.  Also check the applications/accounting/payment and
> > framework/base/config/.
> >
> > I don't know how early you are in the process, but I'll give you random
> > thoughts:
> >
> > 1)  Get the menu completely written down.  Figure out how best to enter in
> > these items.
> > 2)  Figure out how you are going to do credit card payment.  Through the
> > pos or cc box?
> > 3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? -
> > orders, payment, etc.
> > 4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?
> >  Receipt printer?
> >
> > Chris Lombardi

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

>From: "Christopher L" <[hidden email]>

Mine too

> From: [hidden email]
> While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I notice
> that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
> something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses to
> connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button name="
> is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out WHERE
> to find my product's ID"
> To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my catalog
> under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button name"
> of that item actually is in my DB?

>The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a
>productid.

When creating your product in backoffice, use a link like
https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADAS to setup your SKUs
(ProductGoodIdentifications and Skus are the same thing)

BTW I will soon add ENCHILADAS as a POS available product...

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
Wow.. You guys just made my weekend!

So what your saying is....

DemoRetail.xml is essentially used IN PLACE of a DB for ease of demo use.
If I'm to customize my data, then I have no need for any .xml file, but
actually store my info ENTIRELY in the database.  Calling it from the SKU
ID.  Could I use the "Other" Option in place of a SKU?  Just curious.

Now That I see how to set this... I'm a happy happy camper.

Thanks guys!

On Feb 7, 2008 1:30 PM, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> >From: "Christopher L" <[hidden email]>
>
> Mine too
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I
> notice
> > that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
> > something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses
> > connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button
> name="
> > is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out
> WHERE
> > to find my product's ID"
> > To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my
> catalog
> > under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button
> name"
> > of that item actually is in my DB?
>
> >The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your
> products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a
> >productid.
>
> When creating your product in backoffice, use a link like
>
> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto setup your SKUs
> (ProductGoodIdentifications and Skus are the same thing)
>
> BTW I will soon add ENCHILADAS as a POS available product...

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
Crap, you know I did forget ONE more thing.

I've managed to successfully set a ID for a party (individual) that uses the
POS terminal.  What I haven't found out, is how to make that, or another
Logon a "manager" logon.  So I can actually Open the drawer!! :P   That
would be a helpful piece of information if it's not too much trouble.

You guys are great help!   I'll have to spread the good word on ofbiz!

On Feb 7, 2008 2:43 PM, Branden Strickland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wow.. You guys just made my weekend!
>
> So what your saying is....
>
> DemoRetail.xml is essentially used IN PLACE of a DB for ease of demo use.
> If I'm to customize my data, then I have no need for any .xml file, but
> actually store my info ENTIRELY in the database.  Calling it from the SKU
> ID.  Could I use the "Other" Option in place of a SKU?  Just curious.
>
> Now That I see how to set this... I'm a happy happy camper.
>
> Thanks guys!
>

> On Feb 7, 2008 1:30 PM, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > >From: "Christopher L" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Mine too
> >
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I
> > notice
> > > that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
> > > something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses
> > > connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button
> > name="
> > > is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out
> > WHERE
> > > to find my product's ID"
> > > To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my
> > catalog
> > > under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button
> > name"
> > > of that item actually is in my DB?
> >
> > >The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your
> > products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a
> > >productid.
> >
> > When creating your product in backoffice, use a link like
> >
> > https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto setup your SKUs
> > (ProductGoodIdentifications and Skus are the same thing)
> >
> > BTW I will soon add ENCHILADAS as a POS available product...
> >
> > Jacques

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

David E Jones

It isn't really used instead of the database... the data in that file
gets loaded into the database if you tell the install routine to do
that. Usually demo data in general is used for demonstration and
testing, and in a product system you would just load the "seed" data
set and not the "demo" data set which that is part of.

-David

On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Branden Strickland wrote:

> Wow.. You guys just made my weekend!
>
> So what your saying is....
>
> DemoRetail.xml is essentially used IN PLACE of a DB for ease of demo
> use.
> If I'm to customize my data, then I have no need for any .xml file,
> but
> actually store my info ENTIRELY in the database.  Calling it from
> the SKU
> ID.  Could I use the "Other" Option in place of a SKU?  Just curious.
>
> Now That I see how to set this... I'm a happy happy camper.
>
> Thanks guys!
>

> On Feb 7, 2008 1:30 PM, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>> From: "Christopher L" <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Mine too
>>
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/
>>> menu  I
>> notice
>>> that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
>>> something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI
>>> uses
>>> connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button
>> name="
>>> is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out
>> WHERE
>>> to find my product's ID"
>>> To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my
>> catalog
>>> under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the
>>> "Button
>> name"
>>> of that item actually is in my DB?
>>
>>> The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your
>> products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a
>>> productid.
>>
>> When creating your product in backoffice, use a link like
>>
>> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto
>>  setup your SKUs
>> (ProductGoodIdentifications and Skus are the same thing)
>>
>> BTW I will soon add ENCHILADAS as a POS available product...
>>
>> Jacques

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
It all becomes clear!  Thanks guys!

On Feb 7, 2008 2:59 PM, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It isn't really used instead of the database... the data in that file
> gets loaded into the database if you tell the install routine to do
> that. Usually demo data in general is used for demonstration and
> testing, and in a product system you would just load the "seed" data
> set and not the "demo" data set which that is part of.
>
> -David
>

> On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Branden Strickland wrote:
>
> > Wow.. You guys just made my weekend!
> >
> > So what your saying is....
> >
> > DemoRetail.xml is essentially used IN PLACE of a DB for ease of demo
> > use.
> > If I'm to customize my data, then I have no need for any .xml file,
> > but
> > actually store my info ENTIRELY in the database.  Calling it from
> > the SKU
> > ID.  Could I use the "Other" Option in place of a SKU?  Just curious.
> >
> > Now That I see how to set this... I'm a happy happy camper.
> >
> > Thanks guys!

> >> Mine too

> >> notice
> >> name="
> >> WHERE
> >> catalog
> >> name"

> >> products up in the db, part of that will be assigning a
> >>
> >> When creating your product in backoffice, use a link like
> >>

> https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto
> >>  setup your SKUs
> >> (ProductGoodIdentifications and Skus are the same thing)
> >>
> >> BTW I will soon add ENCHILADAS as a POS available product...
> >>
> >> Jacques

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
Being my annoying self, I'm going to repost this question, becuase I asked
so many, I think it got skipped over....  THanks!

Crap, you know I did forget ONE more thing.

I've managed to successfully set a ID for a party (individual) that uses the
POS terminal.  What I haven't found out, is how to make that, or another
Logon a "manager" logon.  So I can actually Open the drawer!! :P   That
would be a helpful piece of information if it's not too much trouble.

You guys are great help!   I'll have to spread the good word on ofbiz!

On Feb 7, 2008 4:35 PM, Branden Strickland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It all becomes clear!  Thanks guys!
>

> On Feb 7, 2008 2:59 PM, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > It isn't really used instead of the database... the data in that file
> > gets loaded into the database if you tell the install routine to do
> > that. Usually demo data in general is used for demonstration and
> > testing, and in a product system you would just load the "seed" data
> > set and not the "demo" data set which that is part of.
> >
> > -David
> >

> > On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Branden Strickland wrote:
> >
> > > Wow.. You guys just made my weekend!
> > >
> > > So what your saying is....
> > >
> > > DemoRetail.xml is essentially used IN PLACE of a DB for ease of demo
> > > use.
> > > If I'm to customize my data, then I have no need for any .xml file,
> > > but
> > > actually store my info ENTIRELY in the database.  Calling it from
> > > the SKU
> > > ID.  Could I use the "Other" Option in place of a SKU?  Just curious.
> > >
> > > Now That I see how to set this... I'm a happy happy camper.
> > >
> > > Thanks guys!

> > https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Look in Party Manager for roles of each party (using Find Party). You will find respective partyId in DemoRetail.xml. You can also
look for User Login (1 2 respectively).

Jacques

From: "Branden Strickland" <[hidden email]>

> Being my annoying self, I'm going to repost this question, becuase I asked
> so many, I think it got skipped over....  THanks!
>
> Crap, you know I did forget ONE more thing.
>
> I've managed to successfully set a ID for a party (individual) that uses the
> POS terminal.  What I haven't found out, is how to make that, or another
> Logon a "manager" logon.  So I can actually Open the drawer!! :P   That
> would be a helpful piece of information if it's not too much trouble.
>
> You guys are great help!   I'll have to spread the good word on ofbiz!
>
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:35 PM, Branden Strickland <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It all becomes clear!  Thanks guys!
>>

>> On Feb 7, 2008 2:59 PM, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > It isn't really used instead of the database... the data in that file
>> > gets loaded into the database if you tell the install routine to do
>> > that. Usually demo data in general is used for demonstration and
>> > testing, and in a product system you would just load the "seed" data
>> > set and not the "demo" data set which that is part of.
>> >
>> > -David

>> > https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Vince Clark
In order to access the Manager screen in the POS terminal the party associated with the user that is logged in must be assigned a role of "Manager." This seems a bit strange. I would have expected this to be controlled thru security group permissions. An explanation as to why this is controlled via roles would be helpful.

From: "Branden Strickland" <[hidden email]>

> Being my annoying self, I'm going to repost this question, becuase I asked
> so many, I think it got skipped over.... THanks!
>
> Crap, you know I did forget ONE more thing.
>
> I've managed to successfully set a ID for a party (individual) that uses the
> POS terminal. What I haven't found out, is how to make that, or another
> Logon a "manager" logon. So I can actually Open the drawer!! :P That
> would be a helpful piece of information if it's not too much trouble.
>
> You guys are great help! I'll have to spread the good word on ofbiz!
>
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:35 PM, Branden Strickland <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It all becomes clear! Thanks guys!
>>

>> On Feb 7, 2008 2:59 PM, David E Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > It isn't really used instead of the database... the data in that file
>> > gets loaded into the database if you tell the install routine to do
>> > that. Usually demo data in general is used for demonstration and
>> > testing, and in a product system you would just load the "seed" data
>> > set and not the "demo" data set which that is part of.
>> >
>> > -David

>> > https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=ENCHILADASto

Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

Branden Strickland
ahhhhhh of course!  I was indeed trying every "security" permission I
could find.  Roles....They'll get you every time! ;)

Thanks!

On 2/10/08, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In order to access the Manager screen in the POS terminal the party
> associated with the user that is logged in must be assigned a role of
> "Manager." This seems a bit strange. I would have expected this to be
> controlled thru security group permissions. An explanation as to why this is
> controlled via roles would be helpful.

Gentleman,
The more you help me, the further I get, the more questions that pop up!
In the screen config files.  For example, in the menu/posmain.xml It has the
"button name=" which points to an object in the database.  My question is,
If I want to configure a new window, to break down menu items, and I want
another screen for all pizza.  So I basically copied the above configs,
because they were buttons to other menus.  then the other night, you guys
explained about the first variable pointing to a database object.  That
would explain why they took me to the same screen as the above buttons.
(menuSku, menuMgr etc.) Where in ofbiz's management site (I'm assuming) do I
need to go to set up a new button name?  I'm assuming I"ll have to configure
it for the right size etc.

Any direction would help, thanks!!

On Feb 10, 2008 6:22 PM, Branden Strickland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> ahhhhhh of course!  I was indeed trying every "security" permission I
> could find.  Roles....They'll get you every time! ;)
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 2/10/08, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In order to access the Manager screen in the POS terminal the party
> > associated with the user that is logged in must be assigned a role of
> > "Manager." This seems a bit strange. I would have expected this to be
> > controlled thru security group permissions. An explanation as to why
> this is
> > controlled via roles would be helpful.

to clarify, I know you can add physical buttons through the xml config
files, I'm talking the actual content that it points too.  and by above, I
mean the xml entries at the top of posmain.xml.

Thanks!