Payment application amount = 0

cjhowe
The current implementation of the payment application
doesn't allow for an amount of 0 to be entered.

In my industry we send bulk itemized bills to an
insurance company and they send back an itemized
explanation of payment.  Sometimes they deny payment
(ie payment of zero).  It is very important for our
industry to keep track of when payment has been denied
so that we can followup and rebill, apeal, writeoff,
etc.  Would there be a better way of keeping track of
this information or should the allowance of zero entry
for payment be a variable passed to the service?