Purchasing Fixed Assets

David Zelaya Herrera
Hi Everybody,

I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material, services
and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a fixed assets purchase
order.  The system shows this error:

ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio: Service
target threw an unexpected exception (null))

The way that I made this was:
- create new product (fixed asset type)
- create new fixed asset
- link new product to fixed asset
- create order
What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do something
wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any problem.

About purchasing fixed assets I find this:

http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html

Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with something.
:-)

--
Best Regards,

David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David Zelaya Herrera
Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item type to "PO:
fixed asset" in the order item.
Maybe the system could show another error message?

Best Regards,

David Zelaya Herrera

2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
> services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a fixed assets
> purchase order.  The system shows this error:
>
> ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio: Service
> target threw an unexpected exception (null))
>
> The way that I made this was:
> - create new product (fixed asset type)
> - create new fixed asset
> - link new product to fixed asset
> - create order
> What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do something
> wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any problem.
>
> About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
>
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
>
> Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
> something. :-)
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
David,

Where does one set "PO: fixed asset"?

On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:30 AM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:

> Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item type
> to "PO:
> fixed asset" in the order item.
> Maybe the system could show another error message?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera
>
> 2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
>> services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a
>> fixed assets
>> purchase order.  The system shows this error:
>>
>> ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio:
>> Service
>> target threw an unexpected exception (null))
>>
>> The way that I made this was:
>> - create new product (fixed asset type)
>> - create new fixed asset
>> - link new product to fixed asset
>> - create order
>> What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do
>> something
>> wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any
>> problem.
>>
>> About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
>>
>> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
>>
>> Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
>> something. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> David Zelaya Herrera
>

> --

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Hi Davis,

Yes why not a little patch ;o) ?

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

Jacques

From: "David Zelaya Herrera" <[hidden email]>

> Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item type to "PO:
> fixed asset" in the order item.
> Maybe the system could show another error message?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera
>
> 2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
> > services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a fixed assets
> > purchase order.  The system shows this error:
> >
> > ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio: Service
> > target threw an unexpected exception (null))
> >
> > The way that I made this was:
> > - create new product (fixed asset type)
> > - create new fixed asset
> > - link new product to fixed asset
> > - create order
> > What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do something
> > wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any problem.
> >
> > About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
> >
> > http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
> >
> > Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
> > something. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David Zelaya Herrera
Hi Si,

In the purchase order.. when you create a purchase order you can set the Item type for each item of the purchase order.
I attach the image.

2006/11/28, Si Chen < [hidden email]>:
David,

Where does one set "PO: fixed asset"?

On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:30 AM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:

> Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item type
> to "PO:
> fixed asset" in the order item.
> Maybe the system could show another error message?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera
>
> 2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera < [hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
>> services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a
>> fixed assets
>> purchase order.  The system shows this error:
>>
>> ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio:
>> Service
>> target threw an unexpected exception (null))
>>
>> The way that I made this was:
>> - create new product (fixed asset type)
>> - create new fixed asset
>> - link new product to fixed asset
>> - create order
>> What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do
>> something
>> wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any
>> problem.
>>
>> About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
>>
>> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
>>
>> Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
>> something. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> David Zelaya Herrera
>

> --

Best Regards,

Si

Best Regards,

David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
David,

No image came through.  Can you email it to me at my email address?

On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:36 PM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:

> Hi Si,
>
> In the purchase order.. when you create a purchase order you can
> set the Item type for each item of the purchase order.
> I attach the image.
>

> 2006/11/28, Si Chen < [hidden email]>:
> David,
>
> Where does one set "PO: fixed asset"?
>
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:30 AM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:
>
> > Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item type
> > to "PO:
> > fixed asset" in the order item.
> > Maybe the system could show another error message?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > David Zelaya Herrera
> >
> > 2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera < [hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> Hi Everybody,
> >>
> >> I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
> >> services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a
> >> fixed assets
> >> purchase order.  The system shows this error:
> >>
> >> ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio:
> >> Service
> >> target threw an unexpected exception (null))
> >>
> >> The way that I made this was:
> >> - create new product (fixed asset type)
> >> - create new fixed asset
> >> - link new product to fixed asset
> >> - create order
> >> What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do
> >> something
> >> wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
> >>
> >> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
> >>
> >> Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
> >> something. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> David Zelaya Herrera
> >

> > --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Si

> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Wait . . . I found the button.  Now I'm trying to figure out how it
all works.

On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi Davis,
>
> Yes why not a little patch ;o) ?
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best
> +Practices
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "David Zelaya Herrera" <[hidden email]>
>> Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item
>> type to "PO:
>> fixed asset" in the order item.
>> Maybe the system could show another error message?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> David Zelaya Herrera
>>
>> 2006/11/27, David Zelaya Herrera <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi Everybody,
>>>
>>> I try to make different kinds of purchase orders (of raw material,
>>> services and fixed assets) and I have a problem when I make a
>>> fixed assets
>>> purchase order.  The system shows this error:
>>>
>>> ERROR: No se pudo crear la orden (problema invocando al servicio:
>>> Service
>>> target threw an unexpected exception (null))
>>>
>>> The way that I made this was:
>>> - create new product (fixed asset type)
>>> - create new fixed asset
>>> - link new product to fixed asset
>>> - create order
>>> What is the way to make this kind of purchase orders?. Did I do
>>> something
>>> wrong? with the other kinds of purchase order I dont have any
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> About purchasing fixed assets I find this:
>>>
>>> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-May/011004.html
>>>
>>> Anybody now if this work was done? If not, maybe I can help with
>>> something. :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> David Zelaya Herrera
>>

>> --

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David Zelaya Herrera
Si, Jacques

I dont have any patch of this.. I am working with Ofbiz - Opentaps
0.9.2_473442.
The item type combo is down of the name of the item.

Is something like this:

Order Items
GZ-1000-0 Tiny Gizmo
Inventory: ATP = -8500, QOH = -8500
Item Type: __________  (Here)
Ship After Date _________

The item type could be "PO: Inventory", "PO: Supplies (to Expense)" or "PO:
Fixed Asset".
When I create a fixed asset purchase order and I dont set the item type to
"PO: Fixed Asset" the system shows this error message:

   - ERROR: Could not create order (problem invoking the service: Service
   target threw an unexpected exception (null))

Best Regards,

2006/11/28, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:

> Wait . . . I found the button.  Now I'm trying to figure out how it
> all works.
>
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Hi Davis,
> >
> > Yes why not a little patch ;o) ?
> >
> > http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best
> > +Practices
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > From: "David Zelaya Herrera" < [hidden email]>
> >> Duh, I know now what I was doing wrong. I did not set the item
> >> type to "PO:
> >> fixed asset" in the order item.
> >> Maybe the system could show another error message?
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> David Zelaya Herrera

> >> --
> >>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Best Regards,

David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
David,

While trying to figure this out, I fixed something which has been
bothering me for a very long time: http://issues.apache.org/jira/
browse/OFBIZ-503 :)

Anyway, now I'm looking at your log file:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1601474&group_id=145855&atid=763271

And I think these lines are instructive:
2006-11-22 18:33:38,391 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-Processor3)
[      OrderServices.java:585:INFO ] find the fixedAsset
2006-11-22 18:33:38,422 (http-0.0.0.0-8443-Processor3)
[      OrderServices.java:596:INFO ] find the techdatacalendar

I think what you must have done is created an association between the
FixedAsset and Product using the Accounting > Fixed Asset >> Products
tab.  In this case, however, I think those screens are for
maintaining rental calendar of a fixed asset, like a hotel room.  In
fact, the section in OrderServices where you got your crash looks
like something Hans wrote.

I think looking at it, it is possible as David Jones said, to create
a PO with a fixed asset product.  Where we're missing though is that
this fixed asset needs to be able to be received as a fixed asset and
commissioned as a fixed asset, rather than received as inventory
right now.  That's the big piece we're missing--we should probably
have some kind of a routine to create FixedAsset from OrderItem which
are of the "Fixed Asset" type.

Then the financials module needs to be configured so that fixed asset
invoice items can be booked to the right G/L account, but that should
be very easy.

On Nov 28, 2006, at 3:11 PM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:

> Si, Jacques
>
> I dont have any patch of this.. I am working with Ofbiz - Opentaps
> 0.9.2_473442.
> The item type combo is down of the name of the item.
>
> Is something like this:

> Order Items
> GZ-1000-0 Tiny Gizmo
> Inventory: ATP = -8500, QOH = -8500
> Item Type: __________  (Here)
> Ship After Date _________
>
> The item type could be "PO: Inventory", "PO: Supplies (to Expense)"
> or "PO:
> Fixed Asset".
> When I create a fixed asset purchase order and I dont set the item
> type to
> "PO: Fixed Asset" the system shows this error message:
>

>   - ERROR: Could not create order (problem invoking the service:
> Service
>   target threw an unexpected exception (null))
>

> Best Regards,
>

> 2006/11/28, Si Chen <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Wait . . . I found the button.  Now I'm trying to figure out how it
>> all works.
>>
>> On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Davis,
>> >
>> > Yes why not a little patch ;o) ?
>> >
>> > http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best
>> > +Practices
>> >
>> > Jacques
>> >
>> > From: "David Zelaya Herrera" < [hidden email]>

>> material,

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]
>>

> --
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David Zelaya Herrera
Hi Si,

I think what you must have done is created an association between the
> FixedAsset and Product using the Accounting > Fixed Asset >> Products
> tab.  In this case, however, I think those screens are for
> maintaining rental calendar of a fixed asset, like a hotel room.  In
> fact, the section in OrderServices where you got your crash looks
> like something Hans wrote.

Yes, you are rigth.

I think looking at it, it is possible as David Jones said, to create
> a PO with a fixed asset product.  Where we're missing though is that
> this fixed asset needs to be able to be received as a fixed asset and
> commissioned as a fixed asset, rather than received as inventory
> right now.  That's the big piece we're missing--we should probably
> have some kind of a routine to create FixedAsset from OrderItem which
> are of the "Fixed Asset" type.

I agree with you. Also we have to think in others kinds of PO.. for eg. if I
contract a service like "Information Technology Service".. the product type
must to be "Services" and the OrderItem type too, and of course this kind of
PO dont have reception.. just a confirmation that the service was done.

I think that the accounting of these could work like this:
(event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO: Inventory"
(action) postShipmentReceiptToGl

(event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO:
FixedAsset"
(action) postFixedAssetReceiptToGl

(event) when ... and the OrderItem type is "Services"
(action) postServiceConfirmToGl

--
Best Regards,

David Zelaya Herrera

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
David,

I just read David's post http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-
May/011004.html and your posting and I think I would suggest
something a little different.  The different OrderItemTypes for
product vs fixed asset vs service is a good idea, but it should not
be presented to the user.  Rather, it should be possible to set up a
Product as  a "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service", and the
storeOrder service should figure out correct OrderItemType for it.
During order creation (shopping cart) any order item is like any
other order item, but then when the order is created the different
types are stored.

Then, when the order is created, depending on the different types of
order items, you can 1) receive inventory or ship inventory (physical
products) 2) automatically fulfill for digital products--already
implemented, you can start your own iTunes with ofbiz 3) commission a
fixed asset item if it's a fixed asset order item and 4) create a
workeffort if it's a service item

So then once you call createFixedAsset, the general ledger posting
magic happens.

The really interesting thing is what kind of accounting are you
planning to do once the fixed assets are created?

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:41 AM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:

> Hi Si,
>
> I think what you must have done is created an association between the
>> FixedAsset and Product using the Accounting > Fixed Asset >> Products
>> tab.  In this case, however, I think those screens are for
>> maintaining rental calendar of a fixed asset, like a hotel room.  In
>> fact, the section in OrderServices where you got your crash looks
>> like something Hans wrote.
>

> Yes, you are rigth.
>
> I think looking at it, it is possible as David Jones said, to create
>> a PO with a fixed asset product.  Where we're missing though is that
>> this fixed asset needs to be able to be received as a fixed asset and
>> commissioned as a fixed asset, rather than received as inventory
>> right now.  That's the big piece we're missing--we should probably
>> have some kind of a routine to create FixedAsset from OrderItem which
>> are of the "Fixed Asset" type.
>

> I agree with you. Also we have to think in others kinds of PO.. for
> eg. if I
> contract a service like "Information Technology Service".. the
> product type
> must to be "Services" and the OrderItem type too, and of course
> this kind of
> PO dont have reception.. just a confirmation that the service was
> done.
>
> I think that the accounting of these could work like this:
> (event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO:
> Inventory"
> (action) postShipmentReceiptToGl
>
> (event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO:
> FixedAsset"
> (action) postFixedAssetReceiptToGl
>
> (event) when ... and the OrderItem type is "Services"
> (action) postServiceConfirmToGl
>

> --
> Best Regards,
>
> David Zelaya Herrera

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David E Jones-2

On Dec 1, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> I just read David's post http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-
> May/011004.html and your posting and I think I would suggest
> something a little different.  The different OrderItemTypes for
> product vs fixed asset vs service is a good idea, but it should not
> be presented to the user.  Rather, it should be possible to set up
> a Product as  a "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service", and
> the storeOrder service should figure out correct OrderItemType for
> it.  During order creation (shopping cart) any order item is like
> any other order item, but then when the order is created the
> different types are stored.

Why the groups "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service"? What
would those mean? I guess I'm confused because it seems like an
arbitrary selection of ProductTypes and other general stuff. A
FixedAsset is (or can be) an instance of a Product, which can have a
type of "Finished Good", for example.

> Then, when the order is created, depending on the different types
> of order items, you can 1) receive inventory or ship inventory
> (physical products) 2) automatically fulfill for digital products--
> already implemented, you can start your own iTunes with ofbiz 3)
> commission a fixed asset item if it's a fixed asset order item and
> 4) create a workeffort if it's a service item

Here again this is kind of a funny mix of things, and I'm not sure
what sort of process you have in mind. There are generally different
processes for different things, and these can of course vary by the
company. Purchases and sales are obviously different too. For service
sales you could trigger creation of a WorkEffort, but for many
companies that plan and quote before they sell the WorkEffort would
already exist, for example.

-David

> So then once you call createFixedAsset, the general ledger posting
> magic happens.
>
> The really interesting thing is what kind of accounting are you
> planning to do once the fixed assets are created?
>
> On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:41 AM, David Zelaya Herrera wrote:
>
>> Hi Si,
>>
>> I think what you must have done is created an association between the
>>> FixedAsset and Product using the Accounting > Fixed Asset >>
>>> Products
>>> tab.  In this case, however, I think those screens are for
>>> maintaining rental calendar of a fixed asset, like a hotel room.  In
>>> fact, the section in OrderServices where you got your crash looks
>>> like something Hans wrote.
>>

>> Yes, you are rigth.
>>
>> I think looking at it, it is possible as David Jones said, to create
>>> a PO with a fixed asset product.  Where we're missing though is that
>>> this fixed asset needs to be able to be received as a fixed asset
>>> and
>>> commissioned as a fixed asset, rather than received as inventory
>>> right now.  That's the big piece we're missing--we should probably
>>> have some kind of a routine to create FixedAsset from OrderItem
>>> which
>>> are of the "Fixed Asset" type.
>>

>> I agree with you. Also we have to think in others kinds of PO..
>> for eg. if I
>> contract a service like "Information Technology Service".. the
>> product type
>> must to be "Services" and the OrderItem type too, and of course
>> this kind of
>> PO dont have reception.. just a confirmation that the service was
>> done.
>>
>> I think that the accounting of these could work like this:
>> (event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO:
>> Inventory"
>> (action) postShipmentReceiptToGl
>>
>> (event) when createShipmentReceipt run and OrderItem type is "PO:
>> FixedAsset"
>> (action) postFixedAssetReceiptToGl
>>
>> (event) when ... and the OrderItem type is "Services"
>> (action) postServiceConfirmToGl
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> David Zelaya Herrera
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
David,

So what do you think would be the best approach for creating a fixed
asset after a PO is approved?  Should there be a link to receive the
fixed asset, as opposed to receive inventory, which causes the fixed
asset to be created?

On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> So what do you think would be the best approach for creating a
> fixed asset after a PO is approved?  Should there be a link to
> receive the fixed asset, as opposed to receive inventory, which
> causes the fixed asset to be created?

This is usually known when an order is created, hence the different
OrderItemTypes to denote this. When an order is received (or the
shipment for an order, rather) we can look at those and see what the
product purchase was intended for, ie inventory, supplies (expensed),
or fixed asset.

We could create a UI that allows manually overriding that when the
order is received, but even that would start with the original
intention denoted by the orderItemTypeId.

-David

> On Dec 3, 2006, at 12:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I just read David's post http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-
>> May/011004.html and your posting and I think I would suggest
>> something a little different.  The different OrderItemTypes for
>> product vs fixed asset vs service is a good idea, but it should
>> not be presented to the user.  Rather, it should be possible to
>> set up a Product as  a "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and
>> "Service", and the storeOrder service should figure out correct
>> OrderItemType for it.  During order creation (shopping cart) any
>> order item is like any other order item, but then when the order
>> is created the different types are stored.
>>

> Why the groups "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service"? What
> would those mean? I guess I'm confused because it seems like an
> arbitrary selection of ProductTypes and other general stuff. A
> FixedAsset is (or can be) an instance of a Product, which can have
> a type of "Finished Good", for example.
>

>> Then, when the order is created, depending on the different types
>> of order items, you can 1) receive inventory or ship inventory
>> (physical products) 2) automatically fulfill for digital products--
>> already implemented, you can start your own iTunes with ofbiz 3)
>> commission a fixed asset item if it's a fixed asset order item and
>> 4) create a workeffort if it's a service item
>>

> Here again this is kind of a funny mix of things, and I'm not sure
> what sort of process you have in mind. There are generally
> different processes for different things, and these can of course
> vary by the company. Purchases and sales are obviously different
> too. For service sales you could trigger creation of a WorkEffort,
> but for many companies that plan and quote before they sell the
> WorkEffort would already exist, for example.
>
> -David
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
Ok, I agree with what you're saying.  I guess it doesn't matter as
much what happens when the order is created, but so long as after the
order is created, a different step is possible for fixed asset vs.
product vs. service.

On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:14 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> So what do you think would be the best approach for creating a
>> fixed asset after a PO is approved?  Should there be a link to
>> receive the fixed asset, as opposed to receive inventory, which
>> causes the fixed asset to be created?
>
> This is usually known when an order is created, hence the different
> OrderItemTypes to denote this. When an order is received (or the
> shipment for an order, rather) we can look at those and see what
> the product purchase was intended for, ie inventory, supplies
> (expensed), or fixed asset.
>
> We could create a UI that allows manually overriding that when the
> order is received, but even that would start with the original
> intention denoted by the orderItemTypeId.
>
> -David
>

>> On Dec 3, 2006, at 12:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I just read David's post http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/
>>> 2006-May/011004.html and your posting and I think I would suggest
>>> something a little different.  The different OrderItemTypes for
>>> product vs fixed asset vs service is a good idea, but it should
>>> not be presented to the user.  Rather, it should be possible to
>>> set up a Product as  a "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and
>>> "Service", and the storeOrder service should figure out correct
>>> OrderItemType for it.  During order creation (shopping cart) any
>>> order item is like any other order item, but then when the order
>>> is created the different types are stored.
>>>

>> Why the groups "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service"? What
>> would those mean? I guess I'm confused because it seems like an
>> arbitrary selection of ProductTypes and other general stuff. A
>> FixedAsset is (or can be) an instance of a Product, which can have
>> a type of "Finished Good", for example.
>>

>>> Then, when the order is created, depending on the different types
>>> of order items, you can 1) receive inventory or ship inventory
>>> (physical products) 2) automatically fulfill for digital
>>> products--already implemented, you can start your own iTunes with
>>> ofbiz 3) commission a fixed asset item if it's a fixed asset
>>> order item and 4) create a workeffort if it's a service item
>>>

>> Here again this is kind of a funny mix of things, and I'm not sure
>> what sort of process you have in mind. There are generally
>> different processes for different things, and these can of course
>> vary by the company. Purchases and sales are obviously different
>> too. For service sales you could trigger creation of a WorkEffort,
>> but for many companies that plan and quote before they sell the
>> WorkEffort would already exist, for example.
>>
>> -David
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David E Jones-2

Do you mean Fixed Asset versus Inventory versus Supplies versus
Service? I still don't see what fixed asset, product, and service
have to do with each other...

-David

On Dec 8, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> Ok, I agree with what you're saying.  I guess it doesn't matter as
> much what happens when the order is created, but so long as after
> the order is created, a different step is possible for fixed asset
> vs. product vs. service.
>
> On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:14 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:33 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> So what do you think would be the best approach for creating a
>>> fixed asset after a PO is approved?  Should there be a link to
>>> receive the fixed asset, as opposed to receive inventory, which
>>> causes the fixed asset to be created?
>>
>> This is usually known when an order is created, hence the
>> different OrderItemTypes to denote this. When an order is received
>> (or the shipment for an order, rather) we can look at those and
>> see what the product purchase was intended for, ie inventory,
>> supplies (expensed), or fixed asset.
>>
>> We could create a UI that allows manually overriding that when the
>> order is received, but even that would start with the original
>> intention denoted by the orderItemTypeId.
>>
>> -David

>>> Why the groups "Fixed Asset", "Finished Good", and "Service"?
>>> What would those mean? I guess I'm confused because it seems like
>>> an arbitrary selection of ProductTypes and other general stuff. A
>>> FixedAsset is (or can be) an instance of a Product, which can
>>> have a type of "Finished Good", for example.

>>> Here again this is kind of a funny mix of things, and I'm not
>>> sure what sort of process you have in mind. There are generally
>>> different processes for different things, and these can of course
>>> vary by the company. Purchases and sales are obviously different
>>> too. For service sales you could trigger creation of a
>>> WorkEffort, but for many companies that plan and quote before
>>> they sell the WorkEffort would already exist, for example.
>>>
>>> -David
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Si
>>> [hidden email]
>>>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

Si Chen-2
Yes, you're right fixed asset vs. inventory vs. supplies vs.
service.  I think there should be separate options for each of these
right?  Create fixed asset vs. receive inventory vs. create work
effort vs. expense supplies directly?

On Dec 8, 2006, at 10:19 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> Do you mean Fixed Asset versus Inventory versus Supplies versus
> Service? I still don't see what fixed asset, product, and service
> have to do with each other...
>
> -David
>

> On Dec 8, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Ok, I agree with what you're saying.  I guess it doesn't matter as
>> much what happens when the order is created, but so long as after
>> the order is created, a different step is possible for fixed asset
>> vs. product vs. service.

>>> This is usually known when an order is created, hence the
>>> different OrderItemTypes to denote this. When an order is
>>> received (or the shipment for an order, rather) we can look at
>>> those and see what the product purchase was intended for, ie
>>> inventory, supplies (expensed), or fixed asset.
>>>
>>> We could create a UI that allows manually overriding that when
>>> the order is received, but even that would start with the
>>> original intention denoted by the orderItemTypeId.
>>>
>>> -David

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Si
>> [hidden email]

Best Regards,

Si

Re: Purchasing Fixed Assets

David E Jones-2

A "service" is really a type of Product in OFBiz. I guess for the
most part when you have a service product you would just receive it
as an expensed item, or that would generally be the OrderItemType.

Whether the purchase of a service product result in creation of a
WorkEffort is a separate issue, and would happen for a service type
product regardless of the OrderItemType. I should qualify that would
be for sales orders. For purchase orders there would be some way of
receiving it, but the point is that when it's received the
OrderItemType would determine what should be done with it, and for
services the question for purchasing is more about how notification
of completion of services is done rather than how to account for them
or manage them after receipt, as is the case for goods.

-David