Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Jacopo Cappellato-3
Hi all,

I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
product's productName is available; I would like to add code so that,
if the productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be required
by some screens and some of the return procedures (I got errors trying
to return orders with null itemDescriptions).

Is it ok?

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Tim Ruppert
+1 - we have people who like to use the description (not the long
description), so that could be an interesting fall back if you don't
find either :) - although most people with populate that productName.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

On May 20, 2008, at 7:44 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
> product's productName is available; I would like to add code so
> that, if the productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
> I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be
> required by some screens and some of the return procedures (I got
> errors trying to return orders with null itemDescriptions).
>
> Is it ok?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Jacopo Cappellato-3
Tim,

thanks for your comment;
we could use one of the following fields (in this order):
productName
description
internalName

What do you think?

Jacopo

On May 20, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Tim Ruppert wrote:

> +1 - we have people who like to use the description (not the long
> description), so that could be an interesting fall back if you don't
> find either :) - although most people with populate that productName.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595
>

> On May 20, 2008, at 7:44 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
>> product's productName is available; I would like to add code so
>> that, if the productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
>> I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be
>> required by some screens and some of the return procedures (I got
>> errors trying to return orders with null itemDescriptions).
>>
>> Is it ok?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Bilgin Ibryam

> we could use one of the following fields (in this order):
> productName
> description
> internalName

+ 1

Bilgin

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Yes, sounds quite logical

Jacques

From: "Tim Ruppert" <[hidden email]>

On May 20, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Bilgin Ibryam wrote:

>> we could use one of the following fields (in this order):
>> productName
>> description
>> internalName
>
> + 1
>
> Bilgin

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Scott Gray
Hi Jacopo

It doesn't really bother me that much, but it seems funny to me that the
system would use something explicitly defined as internal for customer
facing pages.  As a user I would expect that the customer would never see
the contents of that field.

Regards
Scott

2008/5/21 Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
> product's productName is available; I would like to add code so that, if the
> productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
> I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be required by
> some screens and some of the return procedures (I got errors trying to
> return orders with null itemDescriptions).
>
> Is it ok?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

David E Jones

Yes, this is a good point. We probably shouldn't populate something
the customer sees with text from that field.

-David

On May 20, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> It doesn't really bother me that much, but it seems funny to me that
> the
> system would use something explicitly defined as internal for customer
> facing pages.  As a user I would expect that the customer would
> never see
> the contents of that field.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> 2008/5/21 Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
>> product's productName is available; I would like to add code so
>> that, if the
>> productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
>> I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be
>> required by
>> some screens and some of the return procedures (I got errors trying
>> return orders with null itemDescriptions).
>>
>> Is it ok?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Jacopo Cappellato-3
Scott, thanks for your comment... I understand your point of view.
The other options we have, if both productName and descriptions are
null:
1) put the productId in the itemDescription (but it seems not a good
option to me) or
2) fix the code to work well with a null itemDescription
Or we may require that when we create/update the product, the
productName is set (directly or thru the content... but that would be
trickier)

Hmmmm... I'm not sure which one is the best approach... probably #2

Jacopo

On May 20, 2008, at 9:16 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> Yes, this is a good point. We probably shouldn't populate something
> the customer sees with text from that field.
>
> -David
>

> On May 20, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacopo
>>
>> It doesn't really bother me that much, but it seems funny to me
>> that the
>> system would use something explicitly defined as internal for
>> customer
>> facing pages.  As a user I would expect that the customer would
>> never see
>> the contents of that field.
>>
>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> 2008/5/21 Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've noticed that the OrderItem.itemDescription is only set if the
>>> product's productName is available; I would like to add code so
>>> that, if the
>>> productName is not set, then the internalName is used.
>>> I need this because the OrderItem.itemDescription seems to be
>>> required by
>>> some screens and some of the return procedures (I got errors
>>> trying to
>>> return orders with null itemDescriptions).
>>>
>>> Is it ok?
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

We could also have a store option to let visible internal names and then use them in that case (a bit convoluted maybe ;o)

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> Scott, thanks for your comment... I understand your point of view.
> The other options we have, if both productName and descriptions are
> null:
> 1) put the productId in the itemDescription (but it seems not a good
> option to me) or
> 2) fix the code to work well with a null itemDescription
> Or we may require that when we create/update the product, the
> productName is set (directly or thru the content... but that would be
> trickier)
>
> Hmmmm... I'm not sure which one is the best approach... probably #2
>
> Jacopo
>

> On May 20, 2008, at 9:16 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> Yes, this is a good point. We probably shouldn't populate something
>> the customer sees with text from that field.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On May 20, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jacopo
>>>
>>> It doesn't really bother me that much, but it seems funny to me
>>> that the
>>> system would use something explicitly defined as internal for
>>> customer
>>> facing pages.  As a user I would expect that the customer would
>>> never see
>>> the contents of that field.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Scott

external banking service of credit card payment (Sherlocks by Atos Origin)

Eric DE MAULDE
Hello

I'm trying to implement this service.
I'm following the WorldPay example.
In the response (file : applications/accounting/src ...
/thirdparty/worldpay/SelectRespServlet.java)
I get an error (line 284) because the request to modify the
ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table
is a INSERT query and not an UPDATE query, so I get
ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint
"pk_order_payment_preference"

How can I use an UDPATE query in order to modify the defined row (in
ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table)
and update with the external credit card payment datas from the bank

What class / service have I to use in order to record external payments ?

Re: external banking service of credit card payment (Sherlocks by Atos Origin)

rajsaini
Eric,

I don't think you need to modify any of the OFBiz classes to implement a
payment processor service. The error you are getting may be due to
misconfiguration or wrong implementation for service.

Thanks,

Raj

Eric wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to implement this service.
> I'm following the WorldPay example.
> In the response (file : applications/accounting/src ...
> /thirdparty/worldpay/SelectRespServlet.java)
> I get an error (line 284) because the request to modify the
> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table
> is a INSERT query and not an UPDATE query, so I get
> ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint
> "pk_order_payment_preference"
>
> How can I use an UDPATE query in order to modify the defined row (in
> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table)
> and update with the external credit card payment datas from the bank
>
> What class / service have I to use in order to record external payments ?

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Scott Gray
Hi Jacopo

Here's my opinion:
1. a null itemDescription should be fine for returns if it is fine for
orders
2. productName should take be more prominent when creating a new product
than internalName, so that if they are the same then the user can leave
internalName blank.  Then in the back-end apps if internalName is null then
productName should be displayed

So to clarify, instead of always having internalName set and falling back to
that for customers, we should always have productName set and fall back to
that for back-end users.

What do you think?

Scott

2008/5/21 Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:

> Scott, thanks for your comment... I understand your point of view.
> The other options we have, if both productName and descriptions are null:
> 1) put the productId in the itemDescription (but it seems not a good option
> to me) or
> 2) fix the code to work well with a null itemDescription
> Or we may require that when we create/update the product, the productName
> is set (directly or thru the content... but that would be trickier)
>
> Hmmmm... I'm not sure which one is the best approach... probably #2
>
> Jacopo
>

> On May 20, 2008, at 9:16 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> Yes, this is a good point. We probably shouldn't populate something the
>> customer sees with text from that field.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On May 20, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Scott Gray wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Jacopo
>>>
>>> It doesn't really bother me that much, but it seems funny to me that the
>>> system would use something explicitly defined as internal for customer
>>> facing pages.  As a user I would expect that the customer would never see
>>> the contents of that field.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> 2008/5/21 Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>>  Hi all,

Re: external banking service of credit card payment (Sherlocks by Atos Origin)

Eric DE MAULDE
Raj, everybody,

When I process to a purchase in the ecommerce web site,
on the "Final Checkout Review" page (with Payment Information : "Sherlocks")
here I click on "Submit order" button.
This act creates a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table with the
statusId field  "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED"
The next pages are my Sherlocks  Request Servlet to begin the payment, then
the bank server pages and at least my Sherlocks  Response Servlet.
Here I want to modify the same recording in order to modify the statusId
field from "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED" to "PAYMENT_RECEIVED" or another status,
with my Sherlocks  Response Servlet (in a second time this will be an
AutoResponse Servlet from bank server to Ofbiz server).

My question is the same : what class / service can I use in order to modify
a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table ?

Thank you very much

Eric

> Eric,
>
> I don't think you need to modify any of the OFBiz classes to implement a
> payment processor service. The error you are getting may be due to
> misconfiguration or wrong implementation for service.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raj
>
> Eric wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm trying to implement this service.
>> I'm following the WorldPay example.
>> In the response (file : applications/accounting/src ...
>> /thirdparty/worldpay/SelectRespServlet.java)
>> I get an error (line 284) because the request to modify the
>> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table
>> is a INSERT query and not an UPDATE query, so I get
>> ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint
>> "pk_order_payment_preference"
>>
>> How can I use an UDPATE query in order to modify the defined row (in
>> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table)
>> and update with the external credit card payment datas from the bank
>>
>> What class / service have I to use in order to record external payments ?
>>
>> Thanks

> Release Date: 20/05/2008 16:45

Re: external banking service of credit card payment (Sherlocks by Atos Origin)

rajsaini
I think your payment details (Credit card number etc.) are collected by
Shelocks. If this the case, I would suggest you to look at how Paypal
works. I never did this kind of integration before.

Thanks,

Raj

Eric wrote:

> Raj, everybody,
>
> When I process to a purchase in the ecommerce web site,
> on the "Final Checkout Review" page (with Payment Information :
> "Sherlocks")
> here I click on "Submit order" button.
> This act creates a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table
> with the statusId field  "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED"
> The next pages are my Sherlocks  Request Servlet to begin the payment,
> then the bank server pages and at least my Sherlocks  Response Servlet.
> Here I want to modify the same recording in order to modify the
> statusId field from "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED" to "PAYMENT_RECEIVED" or
> another status,
> with my Sherlocks  Response Servlet (in a second time this will be an
> AutoResponse Servlet from bank server to Ofbiz server).
>
> My question is the same : what class / service can I use in order to
> modify a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table ?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Eric
>

>> Eric,
>>
>> I don't think you need to modify any of the OFBiz classes to
>> implement a payment processor service. The error you are getting may
>> be due to misconfiguration or wrong implementation for service.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Raj
>>
>> Eric wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm trying to implement this service.
>>> I'm following the WorldPay example.
>>> In the response (file : applications/accounting/src ...
>>> /thirdparty/worldpay/SelectRespServlet.java)
>>> I get an error (line 284) because the request to modify the
>>> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table
>>> is a INSERT query and not an UPDATE query, so I get
>>> ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint
>>> "pk_order_payment_preference"
>>>
>>> How can I use an UDPATE query in order to modify the defined row (in
>>> ORDER_PAYMENT_PREFERENCE table)
>>> and update with the external credit card payment datas from the bank
>>>
>>> What class / service have I to use in order to record external
>>> payments ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> --
>> Release Date: 20/05/2008 16:45

Re: external banking service of credit card payment (Sherlocks by Atos Origin)

And please use rather user ML for such questions :

From: "Raj Saini" <[hidden email]>

>I think your payment details (Credit card number etc.) are collected by
> Shelocks. If this the case, I would suggest you to look at how Paypal
> works. I never did this kind of integration before.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raj
>
> Eric wrote:
>> Raj, everybody,
>>
>> When I process to a purchase in the ecommerce web site,
>> on the "Final Checkout Review" page (with Payment Information :
>> "Sherlocks")
>> here I click on "Submit order" button.
>> This act creates a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table
>> with the statusId field  "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED"
>> The next pages are my Sherlocks  Request Servlet to begin the payment,
>> then the bank server pages and at least my Sherlocks  Response Servlet.
>> Here I want to modify the same recording in order to modify the
>> statusId field from "PAYMENT_NOT_RECEIVED" to "PAYMENT_RECEIVED" or
>> another status,
>> with my Sherlocks  Response Servlet (in a second time this will be an
>> AutoResponse Servlet from bank server to Ofbiz server).
>>
>> My question is the same : what class / service can I use in order to
>> modify a recording in the "OrderPaymentPreference" table ?
>>
>> Thank you very much
>>
>> Eric
>>

>>> Eric,
>>>
>>> I don't think you need to modify any of the OFBiz classes to
>>> implement a payment processor service. The error you are getting may
>>> be due to misconfiguration or wrong implementation for service.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Raj

>>> --
>>> Release Date: 20/05/2008 16:45

Re: Question about OrderItem.itemDescription and Product names

Jacopo Cappellato-3
Hi Scott,

On May 21, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> Here's my opinion:
> 1. a null itemDescription should be fine for returns if it is fine for
> orders

Ok, in rev. 658607 I did some changes so that the returns can work
well with null itemDescriptions.

Thanks for your advices,

Jacopo