RTL UI

Amine AZZI
Hello All,

I want to start to enable the Ofbiz UI to be Right to Left when an RTL
language is choosen in the list. since there is an initiative to translate
Ofbiz to arabic, such a feature must exist. I am thinking on different
approaches, and I want advices:

1- make a different CSS where every "float:left" is transformed to
"float:right" and vice versa. with other stuff that goes on the same way,
then  the new css is selected automatically when an RTL language is choosen.
the pbl with this approach is that we have to maintain a separate CSS and
each change to the original CSS must be reproduced on this one.

2- add a supplementary styling class for each style that must be altered for
example. if there is a class named "styleClass1" which includes a
"float:left element", we add a new class "styleClass1RTL". with the "RTL"
suffix added to every styled element when an RTL language is choosen. The
problem with method is to make a change to every file on the presentation
layer.

3-Make a new CSS which can be used as an option in the login user
attributes. The pbl with this one is that we consider the user as
experienced with Ofbiz.

I am waiting for any suggestions,

Regards.
Amine

Re: RTL UI

cjhowe
Joe Eckard made a suggestion in OFBIZ-111 that may be worth
considering.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-111#action_12459450

Have the css be produced dynamically using a request-uri call and
freemarker instead of using a flat file.

--- Amine AZZI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I want to start to enable the Ofbiz UI to be Right to Left when an
> RTL
> language is choosen in the list. since there is an initiative to
> translate
> Ofbiz to arabic, such a feature must exist. I am thinking on
> different
> approaches, and I want advices:
>
> 1- make a different CSS where every "float:left" is transformed to
> "float:right" and vice versa. with other stuff that goes on the same
> way,
> then  the new css is selected automatically when an RTL language is
> choosen.
> the pbl with this approach is that we have to maintain a separate CSS
> and
> each change to the original CSS must be reproduced on this one.
>
> 2- add a supplementary styling class for each style that must be
> altered for
> example. if there is a class named "styleClass1" which includes a
> "float:left element", we add a new class "styleClass1RTL". with the
> "RTL"
> suffix added to every styled element when an RTL language is choosen.
> The
> problem with method is to make a change to every file on the
> presentation
> layer.
>
> 3-Make a new CSS which can be used as an option in the login user
> attributes. The pbl with this one is that we consider the user as
> experienced with Ofbiz.
>
> I am waiting for any suggestions,
>
> Regards.
> Amine

Re: RTL UI

Amine AZZI
That's a bright idea, thanks for the suggestion.

2007/2/24, Chris Howe <[hidden email]>:

> Joe Eckard made a suggestion in OFBIZ-111 that may be worth
> considering.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-111#action_12459450
>
> Have the css be produced dynamically using a request-uri call and
> freemarker instead of using a flat file.
>

> --- Amine AZZI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I want to start to enable the Ofbiz UI to be Right to Left when an
> > RTL
> > language is choosen in the list. since there is an initiative to
> > translate
> > Ofbiz to arabic, such a feature must exist. I am thinking on
> > different
> > approaches, and I want advices:
> >
> > 1- make a different CSS where every "float:left" is transformed to
> > "float:right" and vice versa. with other stuff that goes on the same
> > way,
> > then  the new css is selected automatically when an RTL language is
> > choosen.
> > the pbl with this approach is that we have to maintain a separate CSS
> > and
> > each change to the original CSS must be reproduced on this one.
> >
> > 2- add a supplementary styling class for each style that must be
> > altered for
> > example. if there is a class named "styleClass1" which includes a
> > "float:left element", we add a new class "styleClass1RTL". with the
> > "RTL"
> > suffix added to every styled element when an RTL language is choosen.
> > The
> > problem with method is to make a change to every file on the
> > presentation
> > layer.
> >
> > 3-Make a new CSS which can be used as an option in the login user
> > attributes. The pbl with this one is that we consider the user as
> > experienced with Ofbiz.
> >
> > I am waiting for any suggestions,
> >
> > Regards.
> > Amine

Re: RTL UI

Andrew Sykes
Chris,

I like this idea...

+1

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: RTL UI

Adrian Crum
Amine,

I proposed a solution on the dev mailing list that provides a simple way to
cascade a RTL style sheet that reverses the direction of the main style sheet.
Perhaps you could check that mailing list and comment on my approach.

Our CSS/HTML Best Practices advise against the type of CSS naming you proposed.

I'm moving this to the dev mailing list - which is a more appropriate place for
this type of discussion.

-Adrian

Amine AZZI wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I want to start to enable the Ofbiz UI to be Right to Left when an RTL
> language is choosen in the list. since there is an initiative to translate
> Ofbiz to arabic, such a feature must exist. I am thinking on different
> approaches, and I want advices:
>
> 1- make a different CSS where every "float:left" is transformed to
> "float:right" and vice versa. with other stuff that goes on the same way,
> then  the new css is selected automatically when an RTL language is
> choosen.
> the pbl with this approach is that we have to maintain a separate CSS and
> each change to the original CSS must be reproduced on this one.
>
> 2- add a supplementary styling class for each style that must be altered
> for
> example. if there is a class named "styleClass1" which includes a
> "float:left element", we add a new class "styleClass1RTL". with the "RTL"
> suffix added to every styled element when an RTL language is choosen. The
> problem with method is to make a change to every file on the presentation
> layer.
>
> 3-Make a new CSS which can be used as an option in the login user
> attributes. The pbl with this one is that we consider the user as
> experienced with Ofbiz.
>
> I am waiting for any suggestions,
>
> Regards.
> Amine

Re: RTL UI

Amine AZZI
Sorry,
I didn't subscribe to the dev mailing list, I wasn't aware of it. I've just
subscribed to it.
I have browsed through the mailing list and found your message "RFC -
Language Translation Idea". Yes the idea is simple and doesn't require too
much code, but it resembles my first suggestion. the added style sheet must
be alterd each time the original one the "LTR" is enhanced .
I think that the idea of making the CSS dynamic is more appropriate, this
way we are sure that our UI is on the same path as the LTR UI. since change
it once would benefit everyone.

Amine.