Re: Dev - [OFBiz] Users - requirements - atp reaches minimum stock

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] Users - requirements - atp reaches minimum stock

Jacopo Cappellato

I've moved this thread to the dev list because I'd like to discuss some
design decision about the auto requirement creation.

I've reviewed the mods Si did to the checkCreateStockRequirement (i.e.
the service that creates the requirements testing QOH inventory) in rev.
5409 and there is one thing that I don't think is correct:
when the inventory is issued and the qoh is already under the minimum
quantity, a research for existing requirements (in "created" status) has
been added to update their required qty to reflect the new issuance; I
think this is wrong because we cannot know if a requirement has already
been approved and maybe already transformed into a purchase order (still
not received).
The original idea of that service was based on a simple assumption: the
minimum levels and the reorder quantity in the ProductFacility are
properly set to maintain the stock levels sufficient to fulfill a
'normal' number of sales.
For this reason the requirement, for the reorder qty, should be created
only when the qoh reaches the minimum level: the remaining stock will be
sufficient to fulfill all the incoming orders before the new purchase
order (generated from the requirement) is received.

This is a simple strategy but it works for many simple companies; if we
need an advanced requirement strategy (that takes into account every
sales order, purchase order, manufacturing order and requirements in the
system) we should use the MRP instead of the simple requirement creation
algorithms.

So I propose to reintegrate some of the logic in rev. 5202 in the
checkCreateStockRequirement service.

What do you think of this? Si, what do you think?

After this is done, I'll create a new service that does the same but
looking at the ATP levels instead.

Jacopo

Scott Gray wrote:

> Ignore my second paragraph, an inventory transfer i was playing with
> last month caused the problem, so my atp must have been 0
>
> On 4/29/06, *Scott Gray* < [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Joachim
>
>     At the moment a Product Requirement is created as soon as the order is
>     placed but as you mention this is only for the qty ordered.  You
>     need to run
>     an mrp from the manufacturing app which will create a requirement
>     for the
>     reorder qty under 'Purchase Order proposed by the mrp process'.
>
>     The whole thing seems a bit buggy at the moment, I just created an
>     order for
>     6 Big Gizmos (ATP: 15, QOH: 15, MIN: 10), the Product Requirement
>     suggested
>     I order another 6 and also the inventory details are now ATP: -6,
>     QOH: 15.
>
>     I do intend to tidy up the requirement processes but won't have the
>     time for
>     another month or so.
>
>     Regards
>     Scott

Scott Gray
I agree, reorder qty should essentially be synonymous with max qty.

After looking through the requirements code, my first thought was that the
requirement generation code should be triggered through an EECA on
InventoryItemDetail, that would certainly make it easier to track the code
down and make custom changes when needed.

Scott Gray wrote:

> Ignore my second paragraph, an inventory transfer i was playing with
> last month caused the problem, so my atp must have been 0
>
> On 4/29/06, *Scott Gray* < [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Joachim
>
>     At the moment a Product Requirement is created as soon as the order is
>     placed but as you mention this is only for the qty ordered.  You
>     need to run
>     an mrp from the manufacturing app which will create a requirement
>     for the
>     reorder qty under 'Purchase Order proposed by the mrp process'.
>
>     The whole thing seems a bit buggy at the moment, I just created an
>     order for
>     6 Big Gizmos (ATP: 15, QOH: 15, MIN: 10), the Product Requirement
>     suggested
>     I order another 6 and also the inventory details are now ATP: -6,
>     QOH: 15.
>
>     I do intend to tidy up the requirement processes but won't have the
>     time for
>     another month or so.
>
>     Regards
>     Scott

I just read some books (Gordon Graham's Distribution Inventory Management), and I think most systems have the concept of an Order Point, Line Point, and an Economic Order Quantity (EOQ).  Order Point is the quantity threshold for ordering more inventory.  Line Point is the normal amount we try to keep inventory at.  EOQ is the quantity to order which would minimize total costs of carrying inventory versus processing orders and receipts.  The idea seems to be that one should at least order an EOQ each time, instead of whenever inventory falls below Order Point.

I think this might translate into a process where Requirements are created every time an item is ordered but the inventory is already below a threshold quantity, but purchase orders are only created when we have sufficient Requirements.  In that sense, perhaps the whole thing with checking existing Requirements and Purchase Orders is unnecessary?

Sorry it's been a while (r 5409!) so I'm a little hazy too.  What are you thoughts for fixing it?

I definitely agree, also, that integrating in the MRP code would be a good idea.

Have a great weekend,

Si

Scott Gray wrote:

Ignore my second paragraph, an inventory transfer i was playing with
last month caused the problem, so my atp must have been 0