Release4.0 demo site

Re: Release4.0 demo site

Hi BJ,

Did you see the official OFBiz site updated http://ofbiz.apache.org/  ? (look at Release 4.0 Branch Demo)

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> Might be nice to have this info in a wiki page for others.
> :)
>
> David E Jones sent the following on 1/22/2008 8:04 AM:
>>
>> Just an FYI: I was working with Contegix yesterday to correct the
>> checkout URL and the URL-writing properties that were pushing things
>> back to demo.hotwaxmedia.com.
>>
>> The URL, as before is demo40.hotwaxmedia.com.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the update BJ,
>>>
>>> It should work now. I use no-IP to get a DNS and it seems that it was
>>> not updated. I will run it as a service on my main machine now to
>>> avoid this issue.
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>
>>> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

Re: Release4.0 demo site

BJ Freeman
yes, v4.0 seemed to have probelms waking up this morning. got a strange
page when logged in.. Seems ok Now.

My comment was about the scripts necessary to run two instances of ofbiz
like they are.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/23/2008 1:29 AM:

> Hi BJ,
>
> Did you see the official OFBiz site updated http://ofbiz.apache.org/  ?
> (look at Release 4.0 Branch Demo)
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>> Might be nice to have this info in a wiki page for others.
>> :)
>>
>> David E Jones sent the following on 1/22/2008 8:04 AM:
>>>
>>> Just an FYI: I was working with Contegix yesterday to correct the
>>> checkout URL and the URL-writing properties that were pushing things
>>> back to demo.hotwaxmedia.com.
>>>
>>> The URL, as before is demo40.hotwaxmedia.com.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Release4.0 demo site

Hi All,

1) I noticed that using "code" style in Confluence has a drawback. When you edit the page thereafter, Confluence adds unwanted lines
after "code" blocks. I don't know if it's related to Confluence setup. So I suggest to avoid using this style.

2) Also I wonder why we still have Confluence at HWM. Is there is still a valid reason for that (Jacopo showed that Geronimo project
is using Confluence, with some success it appears) ? The point is that Apache infra team is always tuning and updatding tools like
Jira and Confluence. Using Apache Confluence will then not only benefit to OFBiz project but will also avoid the burden on HWM team.

WDYT ?

Jacques

> yes, v4.0 seemed to have probelms waking up this morning. got a strange
> page when logged in.. Seems ok Now.
>
> My comment was about the scripts necessary to run two instances of ofbiz
> like they are.
>
> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 1/23/2008 1:29 AM:
>> Hi BJ,
>>
>> Did you see the official OFBiz site updated http://ofbiz.apache.org/  ?
>> (look at Release 4.0 Branch Demo)
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>>> Might be nice to have this info in a wiki page for others.
>>> :)
>>>
>>> David E Jones sent the following on 1/22/2008 8:04 AM:

Re: Release4.0 demo site

> Hi All,
>
> 1) I noticed that using "code" style in Confluence has a drawback. When you edit the page thereafter, Confluence adds unwanted
> lines after "code" blocks. I don't know if it's related to Confluence setup. So I suggest to avoid using this style.

I just tried to replace "code" by "panel" but as I suspected I got the same result : each times you re-edit, an unwanted line is
added after the "code" or "panel" block. This is independent of the browser (true in Firefox and IE7, note that Opera offers only
Wiki Markup mode). Of course all this is only true in Rich Text mode Wiki Markup mode has not this problem (and it's sometimes
easier to use when you want to clean up the mess coming from previous Rich Text mode sessions).

So I suggest to avoid using these 2 styles for now and to simply put code alike texts in bold.

Jacques

> 2) Also I wonder why we still have Confluence at HWM. Is there is still a valid reason for that (Jacopo showed that Geronimo
> project is using Confluence, with some success it appears) ? The point is that Apache infra team is always tuning and updatding
> tools like Jira and Confluence. Using Apache Confluence will then not only benefit to OFBiz project but will also avoid the burden
> on HWM team.
>
> WDYT ?
>
> Jacques

Re: Release4.0 demo site

David E Jones

On Jan 23, 2008, at 8:08 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> 1) I noticed that using "code" style in Confluence has a drawback.
>> When you edit the page thereafter, Confluence adds unwanted lines
>> after "code" blocks. I don't know if it's related to Confluence
>> setup. So I suggest to avoid using this style.
>
> I just tried to replace "code" by "panel" but as I suspected I got
> the same result : each times you re-edit, an unwanted line is added
> after the "code" or "panel" block. This is independent of the
> browser (true in Firefox and IE7, note that Opera offers only Wiki
> Markup mode). Of course all this is only true in Rich Text mode Wiki
> Markup mode has not this problem (and it's sometimes easier to use
> when you want to clean up the mess coming from previous Rich Text
> mode sessions).
>
> So I suggest to avoid using these 2 styles for now and to simply put
> code alike texts in bold.

This seems a little like putting the cart before the horse... Chances
are the bug will be fixed (probably already is actually) and extra
lines seems like a fairly minor side effect.

Re: Release4.0 demo site

David E Jones

On Jan 23, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> 2) Also I wonder why we still have Confluence at HWM. Is there is
> still a valid reason for that (Jacopo showed that Geronimo project
> is using Confluence, with some success it appears) ? The point is
> that Apache infra team is always tuning and updatding tools like
> Jira and Confluence. Using Apache Confluence will then not only
> benefit to OFBiz project but will also avoid the burden on HWM team.

This definitely needs to be done. It's been "on the agenda" for a long
time and has even been mentioned as such in board reports.

The trick is getting it done (ie getting the new confluence spaces
setup and then moving the content over).

Re: Release4.0 demo site

Jacopo Cappellato
David E Jones wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> 2) Also I wonder why we still have Confluence at HWM. Is there is
>> still a valid reason for that (Jacopo showed that Geronimo project is
>> using Confluence, with some success it appears) ? The point is that
>> Apache infra team is always tuning and updatding tools like Jira and
>> Confluence. Using Apache Confluence will then not only benefit to
>> OFBiz project but will also avoid the burden on HWM team.
>
> This definitely needs to be done. It's been "on the agenda" for a long
> time and has even been mentioned as such in board reports.
>
> The trick is getting it done (ie getting the new confluence spaces setup
> and then moving the content over).
>
> -David

We could start by creating a request (of type "task") for the Confluence
component in the Infrastructure Jira. A good example/template could be
the following one:

Should (and can) we request more spaces? Or just one?

Re: Release4.0 demo site

David E Jones
On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> 2) Also I wonder why we still have Confluence at HWM. Is there is
>>> still a valid reason for that (Jacopo showed that Geronimo project
>>> is using Confluence, with some success it appears) ? The point is
>>> that Apache infra team is always tuning and updatding tools like
>>> Jira and Confluence. Using Apache Confluence will then not only
>>> benefit to OFBiz project but will also avoid the burden on HWM team.
>> This definitely needs to be done. It's been "on the agenda" for a
>> long time and has even been mentioned as such in board reports.
>> The trick is getting it done (ie getting the new confluence spaces
>> setup and then moving the content over).
>> -David
>
> We could start by creating a request (of type "task") for the
> Confluence component in the Infrastructure Jira. A good example/
> template could be the following one:

> Should (and can) we request more spaces? Or just one?

We really do need more than one space. Right now we have 4, and that
seems to be working pretty well. For lots of things the wiki is great
but for administrative docs and in an attempt to have more carefully
reviewed docs I like the idea of more private areas were only people
who have volunteered and demonstrated some interest and competence
have write access.

If that's not possible with the way the ASF confluence site is setup
then we might have a little fun figuring out how to make this work for
OFBiz...

Re: Release4.0 demo site

Jacopo Cappellato
David E Jones wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
> We really do need more than one space. Right now we have 4, and that
> seems to be working pretty well. For lots of things the wiki is great
> but for administrative docs and in an attempt to have more carefully
> reviewed docs I like the idea of more private areas were only people who
> have volunteered and demonstrated some interest and competence have
> write access.
>
> If that's not possible with the way the ASF confluence site is setup
> then we might have a little fun figuring out how to make this work for
> OFBiz...
>
> -David

We could try to forward a request for the following spaces:

OFBIZ
OFBIZUSER
OFBIZTECH (or OFBIZDEV)
OFBIZADMIN (or OFBIZPMC)

and jonesde as the initial space admin.

Re: Release4.0 demo site

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
[...]
>> So I suggest to avoid using these 2 styles for now and to simply put  code alike texts in bold.
>
> This seems a little like putting the cart before the horse... Chances  are the bug will be fixed (probably already is actually)
> and extra  lines seems like a fairly minor side effect.

Yes I realised, just after having posted this, that I should have looked at Confluence bug tracker before. Actually I have already
done that last year but I at this time I did not have identified so clearly the cause of these unwanted lines.

Re: Release4.0 demo site

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>> This definitely needs to be done. It's been "on the agenda" for a  long time and has even been mentioned as such in board
>>> reports.
>>> The trick is getting it done (ie getting the new confluence spaces  setup and then moving the content over).
>>> -David
>>
>> We could start by creating a request (of type "task") for the  Confluence component in the Infrastructure Jira. A good example/
>> template could be the following one:

>> Should (and can) we request more spaces? Or just one?
>
> We really do need more than one space. Right now we have 4, and that  seems to be working pretty well. For lots of things the wiki
> is great  but for administrative docs and in an attempt to have more carefully  reviewed docs I like the idea of more private
> areas were only people  who have volunteered and demonstrated some interest and competence  have write access.
>
> If that's not possible with the way the ASF confluence site is setup  then we might have a little fun figuring out how to make
> this work for  OFBiz...

I totaly agree, and I will say that if this was the reason (I forgot) and we are unable to get like that on Apache server, we should
keep Confluence on a HWM/Contegix server. But of course I hope that the infra team will understand our need.

OFBiz Confluence and Apache [WAS: Release4.0 demo site]

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> We could try to forward a request for the following spaces:
>
> OFBIZ
> OFBIZUSER
> OFBIZTECH (or OFBIZDEV)
> OFBIZADMIN (or OFBIZPMC)
>
> and jonesde as the initial space admin.
>
> Jacopo

Do you think it is worth of an attempt? Or should we postpone this process?
And also: if we request the 4 spaces as above, will we be able to setup
(in the future) Confluence as the main web site (ofbiz.apache.org) or we
will need to request a special setup for this?
But maybe, before we go on with the request, should we spend some time
to review the Confluence spaces we will need?

Here are some ideas for a discussions:
a) could OFBENDUSER and OFBTECH be unified in one space (and simply
logically separated by separate branches in the content tree Tech/User docs?
b) where will reside the official OFBiz site? (right now most of the
pages are in the open/Wiki part...)

Another layout could be:
OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
OFBIZ (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC resources)

Re: OFBiz Confluence and Apache [WAS: Release4.0 demo site]

Jacopo Cappellato
Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> b) where will reside the official OFBiz site? (right now most of the
> pages are in the open/Wiki part...)

That's not completely correct: most of the pages are in the admin space,
some of them in the open Wiki space

Re: Release4.0 demo site

OK it's here http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-8403

So we need to update at least to Confluence 2.5

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>

> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> [...]
>>> So I suggest to avoid using these 2 styles for now and to simply put  code alike texts in bold.
>>
>> This seems a little like putting the cart before the horse... Chances  are the bug will be fixed (probably already is actually)
>> and extra  lines seems like a fairly minor side effect.
>
> Yes I realised, just after having posted this, that I should have looked at Confluence bug tracker before. Actually I have already
> done that last year but I at this time I did not have identified so clearly the cause of these unwanted lines.
>
> Jacques
>
>> -David

Re: OFBiz Confluence and Apache [WAS: Release4.0 demo site]

Hi Jacopo,

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>> We could try to forward a request for the following spaces:
>>
>> OFBIZ
>> OFBIZUSER
>> OFBIZTECH (or OFBIZDEV)
>> OFBIZADMIN (or OFBIZPMC)
>>
>> and jonesde as the initial space admin.
>>
>> Jacopo
>
> Do you think it is worth of an attempt? Or should we postpone this process?
> And also: if we request the 4 spaces as above, will we be able to setup (in the future) Confluence as the main web site
> (ofbiz.apache.org) or we will need to request a special setup for this?
> But maybe, before we go on with the request, should we spend some time to review the Confluence spaces we will need?
>
> Here are some ideas for a discussions:
> a) could OFBENDUSER and OFBTECH be unified in one space (and simply logically separated by separate branches in the content tree
> Tech/User docs?

I like this idea

> b) where will reside the official OFBiz site? (right now most of the pages are in the open/Wiki part...)

From your last post (see thread) this finally seems not so simple. Useing below OFBiz space with links in other spaces seems a good
solution

> Another layout could be:
> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
> OFBIZ (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC resources)

Yes, fine. I make it mine this citation found in http://www.nakedobjects.org/home/index.shtml "Perfection is finally attained not
when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away" Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I remember one
of my professor (IA) being  obsessed  by this idea. He alyway used the french word "épure" for that, I can't find a good
translation, perhaps "refinement". Ok you see the point ;o)

Jacques

On Jan 24, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> We could try to forward a request for the following spaces:
>> OFBIZ
>> OFBIZUSER
>> OFBIZTECH (or OFBIZDEV)
>> OFBIZADMIN (or OFBIZPMC)
>> and jonesde as the initial space admin.
>> Jacopo
>
> Do you think it is worth of an attempt? Or should we postpone this
> process?
> And also: if we request the 4 spaces as above, will we be able to
> setup (in the future) Confluence as the main web site
> (ofbiz.apache.org) or we will need to request a special setup for
> this?
> But maybe, before we go on with the request, should we spend some
> time to review the Confluence spaces we will need?
>
> Here are some ideas for a discussions:
> a) could OFBENDUSER and OFBTECH be unified in one space (and simply
> logically separated by separate branches in the content tree Tech/
> User docs?
> b) where will reside the official OFBiz site? (right now most of the
> pages are in the open/Wiki part...)
>
> Another layout could be:
> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
> OFBIZ (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
> resources)

I think the idea of combining the end user and tech spaces is fine.
For the last one in your list (OFBIZ) we should probably qualify the
name to avoid confusion, ie use something like "OFBIZADMIN",
especially since we've been using the space name "OFBIZ" for the open
wiki. I do like the idea of calling that OFBIZWIKI though so that they
all have more specific and meaningful names.

I'm not sure technically how we can make "ofbiz.apache.org" go to a
confluence page, except maybe through a redirect or something.
Confluence might have something for this though, ie something to
support multiple domains and to map a domain to a specific default
page. Do we really want to do this now though? There is also the
problem (may not be too hard) of how to remove the confluence
decoration so just our page is left. Also, the infra team might have a
hard time with the home page going directly to confluence given
performance of dynamic pages. I think most projects that do this
actually generate static HTML from their confluence pages and then
that is served over standard HTTPD.

Anyway, if or however we do that I'd say the home page should go in
the OFBIZADMIN space. I don't think we want just anyone able to edit
it... that makes it too easy to spam or abuse.

David E Jones wrote:
> I'm not sure technically how we can make "ofbiz.apache.org" go to a
> confluence page, except maybe through a redirect or something.
> Confluence might have something for this though, ie something to support
> multiple domains and to map a domain to a specific default page. Do we
> really want to do this now though?

No, definitely not... I was just trying to anticipate future possible
requirements in order to prepare a more complete request for Infra. We
can definitely postpone this problem.

To summarize:

OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
resources)
OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)

Does it sound good? Should we try to file the request to Infra and see
what is their response? When (and if) these spaces will be setup we will
have all the time we want to migrate stuff to there.

>There is also the problem (may not be
> too hard) of how to remove the confluence decoration so just our page is
> left. Also, the infra team might have a hard time with the home page
> going directly to confluence given performance of dynamic pages. I think
> most projects that do this actually generate static HTML from their
> confluence pages and then that is served over standard HTTPD.

Yes, I think that they are doing an export... we could probably do the same.

Cheers,

On Jan 24, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
> resources)
> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
>
> Does it sound good? Should we try to file the request to Infra and
> see what is their response? When (and if) these spaces will be setup
> we will have all the time we want to migrate stuff to there.

Yep, looks good. We might as well give it a try!

Re: OFBiz Confluence and Apache [WAS: Release4.0 demo site]

Jacopo Cappellato
Here is the text of the Jira ticket I'm going to create:

=======================
Could you please create the following three Confluence spaces for The
OFBiz project?

OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
resources)
OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)

cwiki administrator account = jonesde
========================

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
>> resources)
>> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
>> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
>>
>> Does it sound good? Should we try to file the request to Infra and see
>> what is their response? When (and if) these spaces will be setup we
>> will have all the time we want to migrate stuff to there.
>
> Yep, looks good. We might as well give it a try!

Re: OFBiz Confluence and Apache [WAS: Release4.0 demo site]

David E Jones

You might as well add yourself as an administrator account for those
spaces too Jacopo.

Hopefully we'll have enough permissions in those spaces to admin other
permissions (like we do on the docs.ofbiz.org server). Still, quite a
few of the PMC members are actually in the admin group right now, and
we may have to request that infra make changes to that in the future
if we can't.

-David

On Jan 24, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Here is the text of the Jira ticket I'm going to create:
>
> =======================
> Could you please create the following three Confluence spaces for
> The OFBiz project?
>
> OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
> resources)
> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
>
> cwiki administrator account = jonesde
> ========================
>
> Jacopo
>

> David E Jones wrote:
>> On Jan 24, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>> OFBIZADMIN (restricted access, for the official site and admin/PMC
>>> resources)
>>> OFBIZDOCS (restricted access, for tech/user docs)
>>> OFBIZWIKI (open, for general purpose Wiki site)
>>>
>>> Does it sound good? Should we try to file the request to Infra and
>>> see what is their response? When (and if) these spaces will be
>>> setup we will have all the time we want to migrate stuff to there.
>> Yep, looks good. We might as well give it a try!
>> -David

123