Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

taher
By that logic we should include in README.md things like:

- ignore the warnings from the log file
- ignore the exceptions thrown because we have some faulty forms
- ignore the system crashing if you don't load data
- ignore all anomalies and corner cases

This is a trivial issue that is being converted into a major issue. I'm not
sure it warrants all this discussion, opening a JIRA and quoting our
hipchat discussion like it's a big issue while we leave the more critical
issues. We have a problem in port mapping, UI refactoring, and tons of work
in critical areas. Why not spend energy where it is due.

My opinion is that this is an insignificant cosmetic issue that can be very
easily addressed. You can define the environment variable in the wrapper
startup script for example and be done with this whole discussion. To my
memory this discussion came up twice, so definitely not a recurring
question that happens everyday on the ML.

This reminds me when we first started migrating to gradle of discussions
like oh let's have an alias like g instead of gradlew or let's try to
customize the gradle gui to handle corner cases while leaving the important
and critical work of the actual migration.

On Mar 15, 2017 11:33 PM, "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

james yong

I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message that OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.

##########################
## OFBiz has started and ready for use
##########################

So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.

Regards,
James

Jacques Le Roux wrote
Hi,

Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

That's quite a good idea James,

Did you try it's possible?

Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message that
> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>
> ##########################
> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
> ##########################
>
> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>
> Regards,
> James
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

james yong
Hi Jacques,

Haven't looked into yet. Was side-tracked by too many things :(

Regards,
James Yong

Jacques Le Roux wrote
That's quite a good idea James,

Did you try it's possible?

Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message that
> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>
> ##########################
> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
> ##########################
>
> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>
> Regards,
> James
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

James,

I asked because the problem with this feature is it seems deeply entrenched in Gradle. Look, you need to set an ENV variable to make it dumb!

Fortunately it's only a trivial issue, but an annoying one. Let's see if we can do better than dumbing it...

Jacques

Le 16/03/2017 à 07:27, james yong a écrit :

> Hi Jacques,
>
> Haven't looked into yet. Was side-tracked by too many things :(
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> That's quite a good idea James,
>>
>> Did you try it's possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message
>>> that
>>> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
>>> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>>>
>>> ##########################
>>> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
>>> ##########################
>>>
>>> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> James
>>>

>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

james yong
Hi Jacque,

I have raised the issue at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9285 and uploaded a patch.

Regards,
James Yong

Jacques Le Roux wrote
That's quite a good idea James,

Did you try it's possible?

Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message that
> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>
> ##########################
> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
> ##########################
>
> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>
> Regards,
> James
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you agree about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9263 ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

Hi James (it's JacqueS, JameS in English ;))

I voted +1 there

Le 28/03/2017 à 06:31, james yong a écrit :

> Hi Jacque,
>
> I have raised the issue at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9285
> and uploaded a patch.
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> That's quite a good idea James,
>>
>> Did you try it's possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message
>>> that
>>> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
>>> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>>>
>>> ##########################
>>> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
>>> ##########################
>>>
>>> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> James
>>>

>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

james yong
Hi Jacques,

Sorry for the typo :)

Thanks for upvoting. Added another patch with text art this time, for comparsion .
Hope it is better.

Regards,
James Yong

Jacques Le Roux wrote
Hi James (it's JacqueS, JameS in English ;))

I voted +1 there

Le 28/03/2017 à 06:31, james yong a écrit :
> Hi Jacque,
>
> I have raised the issue at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9285
> and uploaded a patch.
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote
>> That's quite a good idea James,
>>
>> Did you try it's possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 16/03/2017 à 04:53, james yong a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it is better to explicitly inform the user in the log message
>>> that
>>> OFBiz has started after all the components are loaded.
>>> Something like this, but can be improved with some ANSI/ASCII artwork.
>>>
>>> ##########################
>>> ## OFBiz has started and ready for use
>>>
>>> So there is less focus on the 91% message from gradle.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> James
>>>

>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote

Re: Remove the 91% message from gradle when running tasks (ofbiz, ofbizDebug, etc) or altogether

Wow indeed!

+2 :)

Jacques