Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

I believe there are better competitors

Jacques

Le 21/07/2016 à 17:12, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> It is indeed a pity that the POS solution didn't attract more adoption
> since inception in trunk. The last time I came across a lead related to the
> component was approx. 2 years ago.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sincerely it's against my heart but not without reason that I also propose
>> to remove the --both and --pos options.
>>
>> I put much time in the POS, but did not seriously work on it since end of
>> 2009, and nobody contributed anything new since.
>> XUI http://xui.sourceforge.net/index.html is dead for 8 years and has no
>> replacement, see OFBIZ-2158 and for fun
>> http://markmail.org/message/ik7wjy2cziok3blt
>>
>> So I'd not be against putting the POS in Attic. Of course if someone
>> volunteers to maintain the POS (contributors included, plugins to come in
>> mind), instead of putting it in the Attic, I'd gladly (but reasonably)
>> help...
>>
>> BTW, though I don't see anything at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies,
>> I wonder if  the WebPos does not partially rely on the POS, something to
>> check?
>>
>> For the --testlist option it seems useless to me and would anyway be in
>> the history if ever someone get out of cryonics
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 21/07/2016 à 14:11, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>>
>>> +1 to the proposal and I am interested to see what (if) others have to
>>> say.
>>>
>>> Jacopo
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Everyone,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Julien NICOLAS
If I'm not mistaken, some government prefer black box instead of open
source software for POS (Belgium and France for example) because of the
VAT control. So OFBiz can't be eligible... It could be the same in
another country...

Julien.

On 21/07/2016 17:18, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I believe there are better competitors
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 21/07/2016 à 17:12, Pierre Smits a écrit :
>> It is indeed a pity that the POS solution didn't attract more adoption
>> since inception in trunk. The last time I came across a lead related
>> to the
>> component was approx. 2 years ago.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sincerely it's against my heart but not without reason that I also
>>> propose
>>> to remove the --both and --pos options.
>>>
>>> I put much time in the POS, but did not seriously work on it since
>>> end of
>>> 2009, and nobody contributed anything new since.
>>> XUI http://xui.sourceforge.net/index.html is dead for 8 years and
>>> has no
>>> replacement, see OFBIZ-2158 and for fun
>>> http://markmail.org/message/ik7wjy2cziok3blt
>>>
>>> So I'd not be against putting the POS in Attic. Of course if someone
>>> volunteers to maintain the POS (contributors included, plugins to
>>> come in
>>> mind), instead of putting it in the Attic, I'd gladly (but reasonably)
>>> help...
>>>
>>> BTW, though I don't see anything at
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies,
>>>
>>> I wonder if  the WebPos does not partially rely on the POS,
>>> something to
>>> check?
>>>
>>> For the --testlist option it seems useless to me and would anyway be in
>>> the history if ever someone get out of cryonics
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Michael Brohl-3
After reading all comments on this proposal, I agree: +1

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 21.07.16 um 11:38 schrieb Taher Alkhateeb:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>
> 1- --both
> 2- --pos
> 3- --testlist
>
> Reasons:
> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>
> This would imply deleting the following files:
> -
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> -
> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> -
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>
> and modifying the following files:
> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> -
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> - (move it to POS)
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>
> Agreed?
>
> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. I've created a JIRA and attached a patch to it
that achieves what is discussed in this thread. Please feel free to review
it before I commit. I moved the files containing the startup logic to the
POS component so someone might reuse it if they want to.

Taher Alkhateeb

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> After reading all comments on this proposal, I agree: +1
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>
> Am 21.07.16 um 11:38 schrieb Taher Alkhateeb:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz
>> server
>> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>>
>> 1- --both
>> 2- --pos
>> 3- --testlist
>>
>> Reasons:
>> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
>> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
>> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
>> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
>> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
>> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
>> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
>> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>>
>> This would imply deleting the following files:
>> -
>>
>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
>> -
>>
>> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
>> -
>>
>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>>
>> and modifying the following files:
>> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
>> -
>>
>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
>> - (move it to POS)
>>
>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>>
>> Agreed?
>>
>> Regards,

12