Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
Hello Everyone,

This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
(invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"

1- --both
2- --pos
3- --testlist

Reasons:
- The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
- After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.

This would imply deleting the following files:
-
framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
-
framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
-
framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

and modifying the following files:
- framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
-
framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
- (move it to POS)
framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Agreed?

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Pierre Smits
Hi Taher, all

Re: --both and --pos
I agree that logic regarding the pos component should reside in the
component. But, since I don't know what the reasons behind these commands
are, I suggest we should defer the decision until Jacques (who I believe
build the construct) has explained a bit about background.

Re --testlist
Maybe it is useless. I don't know. But someone probably had a good reason
to implement it. The revision history might give a clue regarding whom to
ask.

As for 'to my knowledge no one is using it': if you want to find out who
is, you should ask in the user ml if there is someone and defer a short
period (e.g. the min 72hr) to allow anybody to come forward.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>
> 1- --both
> 2- --pos
> 3- --testlist
>
> Reasons:
> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>
> This would imply deleting the following files:
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> -
>
> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> -
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>
> and modifying the following files:
> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> - (move it to POS)
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>
> Agreed?
>
> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
The --both and --pos start the POS component. --testlist creates an ant
file that iterates over test suites and run them one-by-one. Nothing in the
code base is using it. There was only one deprecated task in ant that used
to run it called run-test-list, and we removed ant anyway.

If you are unfamiliar with certain items I suggest not to block such
initiatives to cleanup the code base.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > This would imply deleting the following files:
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > -
> >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > -
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
> >
> > and modifying the following files:
> > - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > - (move it to POS)
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
> >
> > Agreed?
> >
> > Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Are you accusing me of something, Taher?

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > This would imply deleting the following files:
> > > -
> > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > > -
> > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > > -
> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
> > >
> > > and modifying the following files:
> > > - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > > -
> > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > > - (move it to POS)
> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
> > >
> > > Agreed?
> > >
> > > Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Jacopo Cappellato-5
Frankly speaking I don't see any accusation from Taher.
Since, as you wrote, you are unfamiliar with the topic discussed, your
feedback was not very useful and may be a distraction.

Jacopo

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Are you accusing me of something, Taher?
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The --both and --pos start the POS component. --testlist creates an ant
> > file that iterates over test suites and run them one-by-one. Nothing in
> the
> > code base is using it. There was only one deprecated task in ant that
> used
> > to run it called run-test-list, and we removed ant anyway.
> >
> > If you are unfamiliar with certain items I suggest not to block such
> > initiatives to cleanup the code base.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Taher, all
> > >
> > > Re: --both and --pos
> > > I agree that logic regarding the pos component should reside in the
> > > component. But, since I don't know what the reasons behind these
> commands
> > > are, I suggest we should defer the decision until Jacques (who I
> believe
> > > build the construct) has explained a bit about background.
> > >
> > > Re --testlist
> > > Maybe it is useless. I don't know. But someone probably had a good
> reason
> > > to implement it. The revision history might give a clue regarding whom
> > > ask.
> > >
> > > As for 'to my knowledge no one is using it': if you want to find out
> who
> > > is, you should ask in the user ml if there is someone and defer a short
> > > period (e.g. the min 72hr) to allow anybody to come forward.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Pierre Smits
> > >
> > > ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> > > OFBiz based solutions & services
> > >
> > > OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> > > http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

> > > server

> > > code
> > framework
> is
> > the
> > slower
> > is

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Jacopo Cappellato-5
+1 to the proposal and I am interested to see what (if) others have to say.

Jacopo

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>
> 1- --both
> 2- --pos
> 3- --testlist
>
> Reasons:
> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>
> This would imply deleting the following files:
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> -
>
> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> -
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>
> and modifying the following files:
> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> - (move it to POS)
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>
> Agreed?
>
> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Mridul Pathak-4
+1 to the proposal.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Mridul Pathak

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>
> 1- --both
> 2- --pos
> 3- --testlist
>
> Reasons:
> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>
> This would imply deleting the following files:
> -
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> -
> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> -
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>
> and modifying the following files:
> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> -
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> - (move it to POS)
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>
> Agreed?
>
> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Pierre Smits
Jacopo,

That my feedback may be regarded as a distraction (to someone) is something
else. That Taher suggests 'not to block such...' is an accusation, as I
perceive it.

As for the --testlist I see a (potential) added value for the testers
working for our adopters, especially in the environment of CI. Hence my
suggestion to ask in the greater OFBiz community (the user ml) first before
taking the next step, than to change stuff based on limited knowledge.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to the proposal and I am interested to see what (if) others have to say.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz
> server
> > (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
> >
> > 1- --both
> > 2- --pos
> > 3- --testlist
> >
> > Reasons:
> > - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have
> code
> > existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> > component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> > - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> > weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> > existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> > vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> > using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
> >
> > This would imply deleting the following files:
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > -
> >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > -
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
> >
> > and modifying the following files:
> > - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > - (move it to POS)
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
> >
> > Agreed?
> >
> > Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Scott Gray-3
My memory is hazy, but don't those commands simply tell OFBiz which
[command].properties file to use for initialization?

Regards
Scott

On 21 July 2016 at 21:38, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>
> 1- --both
> 2- --pos
> 3- --testlist
>
> Reasons:
> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>
> This would imply deleting the following files:
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> -
>
> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> -
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>
> and modifying the following files:
> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> -
>
> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> - (move it to POS)
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>
> Agreed?
>
> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
You got it right Scott. they load the both.properties and pos.properties
which in return contain the initializing classes to fire up POS. so this is
no different from say starting a mobile application which has nothing to do
with OFBiz from the start component. it should really start on its own
without going through the start up loader logic

On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My memory is hazy, but don't those commands simply tell OFBiz which
> [command].properties file to use for initialization?
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 21 July 2016 at 21:38, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz
> server
> > (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
> >
> > 1- --both
> > 2- --pos
> > 3- --testlist
> >
> > Reasons:
> > - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have
> code
> > existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> > component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
> > - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
> > weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
> > existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
> > vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
> > using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
> >
> > This would imply deleting the following files:
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > -
> >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > -
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
> >
> > and modifying the following files:
> > - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > -
> >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > - (move it to POS)
> >
> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
> >
> > Agreed?
> >
> > Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Sincerely it's against my heart but not without reason that I also propose to remove the --both and --pos options.

I put much time in the POS, but did not seriously work on it since end of 2009, and nobody contributed anything new since.
XUI http://xui.sourceforge.net/index.html is dead for 8 years and has no replacement, see OFBIZ-2158 and for fun
http://markmail.org/message/ik7wjy2cziok3blt

So I'd not be against putting the POS in Attic. Of course if someone volunteers to maintain the POS (contributors included, plugins to come in mind),
instead of putting it in the Attic, I'd gladly (but reasonably) help...

BTW, though I don't see anything at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies, I wonder if  the
WebPos does not partially rely on the POS, something to check?

For the --testlist option it seems useless to me and would anyway be in the history if ever someone get out of cryonics

Jacques

Le 21/07/2016 à 14:11, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :

> +1 to the proposal and I am interested to see what (if) others have to say.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz server
>> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>>
>> 1- --both
>> 2- --pos
>> 3- --testlist
>>
>> Reasons:
>> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have code
>> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
>> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
>> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
>> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
>> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
>> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
>> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>>
>> This would imply deleting the following files:
>> -
>>
>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
>> -
>>
>> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
>> -
>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>>
>> and modifying the following files:
>> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
>> -
>>
>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
>> - (move it to POS)
>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>>
>> Agreed?
>>
>> Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Scott Gray-3
Why wouldn't it use the start up loader logic?  What would it do instead?

On 22 July 2016 at 01:18, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You got it right Scott. they load the both.properties and pos.properties
> which in return contain the initializing classes to fire up POS. so this is
> no different from say starting a mobile application which has nothing to do
> with OFBiz from the start component. it should really start on its own
> without going through the start up loader logic
>
> On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > My memory is hazy, but don't those commands simply tell OFBiz which
> > [command].properties file to use for initialization?
> >
> > Regards
> > Scott
> >
> > On 21 July 2016 at 21:38, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz
> > server
> > > (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
> > >
> > > 1- --both
> > > 2- --pos
> > > 3- --testlist
> > >
> > > Reasons:
> > > - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have
> > code
> > > existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
> > > component should reside inside the POS component and away from
> framework
> > > - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is
> > > weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over
> the
> > > existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is
> slower
> > > vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one
> is
> > > using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
> > >
> > > This would imply deleting the following files:
> > > -
> > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > > -
> > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > > -
> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
> > >
> > > and modifying the following files:
> > > - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > > -
> > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > > - (move it to POS)
> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
> > >
> > > Agreed?
> > >
> > > Regards,

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Scott Gray-3
By the way, again my memory is hazy but I believe testlist was added as
some sort of means to enable the database to be reverted to its original
state between each set of tests.

On 22 July 2016 at 01:21, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why wouldn't it use the start up loader logic?  What would it do instead?
>
> On 22 July 2016 at 01:18, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> You got it right Scott. they load the both.properties and pos.properties
>> which in return contain the initializing classes to fire up POS. so this
>> is
>> no different from say starting a mobile application which has nothing to
>> do
>> with OFBiz from the start component. it should really start on its own
>> without going through the start up loader logic
>>
>> On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > My memory is hazy, but don't those commands simply tell OFBiz which
>> > [command].properties file to use for initialization?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Scott
>> >
>> > On 21 July 2016 at 21:38, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
>> > <javascript:;>>

>> > server

>> > code
>> framework
>> is a
>> the
>> slower
>> is

>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
>> > >

>> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
>> > >

>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
>> > >

>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
>> > >

>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
Hi scott,

I would suggest that it starts on its own. just like any software system
that communicates with your system. The POS is just a desktop app that
communicates with the OFBiz server. hence it fires up on its own, assuming
somebody can revive it with this dead XUI library of course.

Regards,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why wouldn't it use the start up loader logic?  What would it do instead?
>
> On 22 July 2016 at 01:18, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > You got it right Scott. they load the both.properties and pos.properties
> > which in return contain the initializing classes to fire up POS. so this
> is
> > no different from say starting a mobile application which has nothing to
> do
> > with OFBiz from the start component. it should really start on its own
> > without going through the start up loader logic
> >
> > On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My memory is hazy, but don't those commands simply tell OFBiz which
> > > [command].properties file to use for initialization?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Scott
> > >
> > > On 21 July 2016 at 21:38, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>
> > > <javascript:;>>

> > > server

> > > code
> > framework
> is
> > the
> > slower
> > is

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> > > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Jacopo Cappellato-5
Hi Taher,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi scott,
>
> I would suggest that it starts on its own. just like any software system
> that communicates with your system. The POS is just a desktop app that
> communicates with the OFBiz server.

This is kind of true but... the POS desktop app used to require a full
OFBiz instance running on the desktop in "POS" mode (thus the need of the
flag); this instance used to communicate with the master OFBiz instance at
server side.

Anyway, this is just for archive history because, as Jacques pointed out,
the POS component is probably no more useful and used.

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
Yeah that sounds about right. However here is why I suggest removing it:

1- it doesn't really have any logic it just spits out an Ant file or a text
file
2- it goes through the server and comes out the other end as a build script
which makes it badly designed. either you do the whole thing inside the
server or the whole thing in the build system. it's really weird to have
that round-trip
3- nobody used it for a long long time. in fact the first time I asked
about it no one recognized it even. It took me a while just to finally
understand what it does.
4- our current tests do not require reset in between suites
5- we removed Ant
6- Before refactoring the start component it was not even documented. It
was just hidden as some flag that you don't know how to use with java -jar
ofbiz.jar -help (does not show up)

So all in all it just seems like deadweight. hence my recommendation to
remove it

Taher Alkhateeb

On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, again my memory is hazy but I believe testlist was added as
> some sort of means to enable the database to be reverted to its original
> state between each set of tests.
>
> On 22 July 2016 at 01:21, Scott Gray <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Why wouldn't it use the start up loader logic?  What would it do instead?
> >
> > On 22 July 2016 at 01:18, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> You got it right Scott. they load the both.properties and pos.properties
> >> which in return contain the initializing classes to fire up POS. so this
> >> is
> >> no different from say starting a mobile application which has nothing to
> >> do
> >> with OFBiz from the start component. it should really start on its own
> >> without going through the start up loader logic
> >>
> >> On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>

> <javascript:;>

> have
> >> framework
> >> is a
> over
> >> the
> >> slower
> one
> >> is

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> >> > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> >> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

> >> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
> >> > >

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> >> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Scott Gray-3
Yeah exactly, POS *is* OFBiz, just running with a different configuration
that enables a thick-client UI on top.  Is isn't the solely the client,
it's both the client and the server.

On 22 July 2016 at 01:30, Jacopo Cappellato <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Taher,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi scott,
> >
> > I would suggest that it starts on its own. just like any software system
> > that communicates with your system. The POS is just a desktop app that
> > communicates with the OFBiz server.
>

> This is kind of true but... the POS desktop app used to require a full
> OFBiz instance running on the desktop in "POS" mode (thus the need of the
> flag); this instance used to communicate with the master OFBiz instance at
> server side.
>
> Anyway, this is just for archive history because, as Jacques pointed out,
> the POS component is probably no more useful and used.
>
> Jacopo

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Scott Gray-3
Yeah I have no problem with removing it.  But sometimes it's useful to know
the history of where things came from.  In this case I think it was thrown
in quickly while I was working on database rollbacks within OFBiz itself,
this was left over after that work was committed.

Regards
Scott

On 22 July 2016 at 01:32, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yeah that sounds about right. However here is why I suggest removing it:
>
> 1- it doesn't really have any logic it just spits out an Ant file or a text
> file
> 2- it goes through the server and comes out the other end as a build script
> which makes it badly designed. either you do the whole thing inside the
> server or the whole thing in the build system. it's really weird to have
> that round-trip
> 3- nobody used it for a long long time. in fact the first time I asked
> about it no one recognized it even. It took me a while just to finally
> understand what it does.
> 4- our current tests do not require reset in between suites
> 5- we removed Ant
> 6- Before refactoring the start component it was not even documented. It
> was just hidden as some flag that you don't know how to use with java -jar
> ofbiz.jar -help (does not show up)
>
> So all in all it just seems like deadweight. hence my recommendation to
> remove it
>
> Taher Alkhateeb
>
> On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > By the way, again my memory is hazy but I believe testlist was added as
> > some sort of means to enable the database to be reverted to its original
> > state between each set of tests.
> >
> > On 22 July 2016 at 01:21, Scott Gray <[hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > > Why wouldn't it use the start up loader logic?  What would it do
> instead?
> > >
> > > On 22 July 2016 at 01:18, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>>

> pos.properties
> this

> > <javascript:;>>

> [hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>

> OFBiz

> > have
> POS
> command
> > over
> > one
> tasks.

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
> > >> > >

> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
> > >> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java

> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
> > >> > >

> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

taher
Hi scott and jacopo,

yeah good point excuse me for not being clear. I suggest that if we want to
revive it then the UI layer on top is fired up separately. so in a way it
should be redesigned. my apologies I didn't express my thoughts clearly.

I used the analogy with the mobile just to say that this is how it should
be not what it is.

Regards,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Thursday, 21 July 2016, Scott Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah exactly, POS *is* OFBiz, just running with a different configuration
> that enables a thick-client UI on top.  Is isn't the solely the client,
> it's both the client and the server.
>

> On 22 July 2016 at 01:30, Jacopo Cappellato <
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Hi Taher,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> > [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi scott,
> > >
> > > I would suggest that it starts on its own. just like any software
> system
> > > that communicates with your system. The POS is just a desktop app that
> > > communicates with the OFBiz server.
> >

> > This is kind of true but... the POS desktop app used to require a full
> > OFBiz instance running on the desktop in "POS" mode (thus the need of the
> > flag); this instance used to communicate with the master OFBiz instance
> at
> > server side.
> >
> > Anyway, this is just for archive history because, as Jacques pointed out,
> > the POS component is probably no more useful and used.
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Removing multiple commands and related files for OFBiz server

Pierre Smits
It is indeed a pity that the POS solution didn't attract more adoption
since inception in trunk. The last time I came across a lead related to the
component was approx. 2 years ago.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sincerely it's against my heart but not without reason that I also propose
> to remove the --both and --pos options.
>
> I put much time in the POS, but did not seriously work on it since end of
> 2009, and nobody contributed anything new since.
> XUI http://xui.sourceforge.net/index.html is dead for 8 years and has no
> replacement, see OFBIZ-2158 and for fun
> http://markmail.org/message/ik7wjy2cziok3blt
>
> So I'd not be against putting the POS in Attic. Of course if someone
> volunteers to maintain the POS (contributors included, plugins to come in
> mind), instead of putting it in the Attic, I'd gladly (but reasonably)
> help...
>
> BTW, though I don't see anything at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies,
> I wonder if  the WebPos does not partially rely on the POS, something to
> check?
>
> For the --testlist option it seems useless to me and would anyway be in
> the history if ever someone get out of cryonics
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 21/07/2016 à 14:11, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>
>> +1 to the proposal and I am interested to see what (if) others have to
>> say.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> This is a proposal to _remove_ the following commands from the OFBiz
>>> server
>>> (invoked with ./gradlew "ofbiz --commandHere"
>>>
>>> 1- --both
>>> 2- --pos
>>> 3- --testlist
>>>
>>> Reasons:
>>> - The POS component is a specialpurpose component and should not have
>>> code
>>> existing in the start component. Instead logic for starting the POS
>>> component should reside inside the POS component and away from framework
>>> - After lots of investigation I realized the testlist OFBiz command is a
>>> weird command that used to create an ant file that just iterates over the
>>> existing integration test suites and run them one by one, which is slower
>>> vs just running them all. It is deprecated and to my knowledge no one is
>>> using it. I think it used to serve some deprecated cobertura tasks.
>>>
>>> This would imply deleting the following files:
>>> -
>>>

>>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/testlist.properties
>>> -
>>>

>>> framework/testtools/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/testtools/TestListContainer.java
>>> -
>>>
>>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashLoader.java
>>>
>>> and modifying the following files:
>>> - framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/Config.java
>>> -
>>>

>>> framework/start/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/start/StartupCommandUtil.java
>>> - (move it to POS)
>>>
>>> framework/base/src/main/java/org/apache/ofbiz/base/splash/SplashScreen.java
>>>
>>> Agreed?
>>>
>>> Regards,

12