Removing old jars: Avalon framework

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

in the attempt of keeping the list of jar files included in OFBiz clean
and updated, I'm reviewing them.
I've noticed that:

avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar
avalon-util-exception-1.0.0.jar

are only used at line 155 of Debug.java:

msg = System.getProperty("line.separator") +
ExceptionHelper.packException(msg, t, true);

Since the Avalon project has closed in 2004, it would be nice to remove
that dependency.
What do you think?
Any ideas on how to do this?

Re: Removing old jars: Avalon framework

Christian Geisert
Jacopo Cappellato schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> in the attempt of keeping the list of jar files included in OFBiz clean
> and updated, I'm reviewing them.
> I've noticed that:
>
> avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar
> avalon-util-exception-1.0.0.jar
>
> are only used at line 155 of Debug.java:
>
> msg = System.getProperty("line.separator") +
> ExceptionHelper.packException(msg, t, true);
>
> Since the Avalon project has closed in 2004, it would be nice to remove
> that dependency.
> What do you think?

FOP uses avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar so I don't think it's a good idea to
remove it ;-)

Christian

Re: Removing old jars: Avalon framework

Jacopo Cappellato
Christian,

thanks for the great information.
I've added it to the Runtime dependencies column here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/Vg

I'm trying to document runtime dependencies in that page... if you have
other information for that page, that would be great.

Christian Geisert wrote:

> Jacopo Cappellato schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in the attempt of keeping the list of jar files included in OFBiz
>> clean and updated, I'm reviewing them.
>> I've noticed that:
>>
>> avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar
>> avalon-util-exception-1.0.0.jar
>>
>> are only used at line 155 of Debug.java:
>>
>> msg = System.getProperty("line.separator") +
>> ExceptionHelper.packException(msg, t, true);
>>
>> Since the Avalon project has closed in 2004, it would be nice to
>> remove that dependency.
>> What do you think?
>
> FOP uses avalon-framework-4.2.0.jar so I don't think it's a good idea to
> remove it ;-)
>
> Christian

Re: Removing old jars: Avalon framework

David E Jones
It would be fine to remove these, we have no larger plans for avalon. In addition to that line, which should probably be removed or changed anyway to not depend on an unmaintained library And do something more standard too, we should check to see if other libraries depend on it, which is very possible.

-David

After further research I've seen that avalon-util-exception-1.0.0.jar
just contains one class, ExceptionHelper, and that class is only used at
line 155 of Debug.java:

msg = System.getProperty("line.separator") +
ExceptionHelper.packException(msg, t, true);

What is the packException(...) supposed to do? How can we replace it?

The avalon-util-exception-1.0.0.jar is non needed by fop.

Jacopo