Some questions about OFBiz

jamesterra
Hi there,

I am currently evaluating OFBiz as the framework for a new ecommerce project that I'm working on.  So far  I've been very impressed with OFBiz as it appears to have all of the features that I need.  I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get cleared up:

I need a stable build so I pulled the code from the 4.0 release branch.  However, after looking at some of the new features in development, I was hoping to find a stable development branch that I could pull from instead.  Is there such a branch?  Hopefully something that's been tested to some degree?

Going through the order manager, I couldn't find a way to print shipping labels in batches or do other tasks in batches (such as packing).  Is there a way to do this OFBiz out of the box?

Thanks,
James

Re: Some questions about OFBiz

jamesterra
Could someone here provide answers to these questions please?

Thanks,
James

jamesterra wrote
Hi there,

I am currently evaluating OFBiz as the framework for a new ecommerce project that I'm working on.  So far  I've been very impressed with OFBiz as it appears to have all of the features that I need.  I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get cleared up:

I need a stable build so I pulled the code from the 4.0 release branch.  However, after looking at some of the new features in development, I was hoping to find a stable development branch that I could pull from instead.  Is there such a branch?  Hopefully something that's been tested to some degree?

Going through the order manager, I couldn't find a way to print shipping labels in batches or do other tasks in batches (such as packing).  Is there a way to do this OFBiz out of the box?

Thanks,
James

Re: Some questions about OFBiz

BJ Freeman
1) here is the release plan so far
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan
2)OOTB only shipping per order however it would not take much to write
service that would do this. For packing list you would have to add in
more screens and code to verify the shipment against the packking list.
Not sure from a physical workflow if this is more productive, IMHO

jamesterra sent the following on 5/7/2008 11:11 AM:

> Could someone here provide answers to these questions please?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> jamesterra wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am currently evaluating OFBiz as the framework for a new ecommerce
>> project that I'm working on.  So far  I've been very impressed with OFBiz
>> as it appears to have all of the features that I need.  I do have a few
>> questions that I was hoping to get cleared up:
>>
>> I need a stable build so I pulled the code from the 4.0 release branch.
>> However, after looking at some of the new features in development, I was
>> hoping to find a stable development branch that I could pull from instead.
>> Is there such a branch?  Hopefully something that's been tested to some
>> degree?
>>
>> Going through the order manager, I couldn't find a way to print shipping
>> labels in batches or do other tasks in batches (such as packing).  Is
>> there a way to do this OFBiz out of the box?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

Re: Some questions about OFBiz

David E Jones

Thanks for answering this BJ, in spite of a little bit of lack of
respect in the question and follow-up, especially related to not
looking at existing documentation, where there are answers to all of
these questions.

In the end-user documentation on docs.ofbiz.org it does cover some
stuff on managing pick-lists and shipment packing. Related to that, it
isn't all that common to pick more than one order at a time, but
usually packing/weighing/labeling packages to ship them is done one at
a time.

Of course, you can build anything you can imagine that is "internally
consistent" (ie not self-contradictory), and there are good tools and
lower level functionality in OFBiz that make that easier.

-David

On May 7, 2008, at 1:01 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:

> 1) here is the release plan so far
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan
> 2)OOTB only shipping per order however it would not take much to write
> service that would do this. For packing list you would have to add in
> more screens and code to verify the shipment against the packking
> list.
> Not sure from a physical workflow if this is more productive, IMHO
>
> jamesterra sent the following on 5/7/2008 11:11 AM:
>> Could someone here provide answers to these questions please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

>> jamesterra wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I am currently evaluating OFBiz as the framework for a new ecommerce
>>> project that I'm working on.  So far  I've been very impressed
>>> with OFBiz
>>> as it appears to have all of the features that I need.  I do have
>>> a few
>>> questions that I was hoping to get cleared up:
>>>
>>> I need a stable build so I pulled the code from the 4.0 release
>>> branch.
>>> However, after looking at some of the new features in development,
>>> I was
>>> hoping to find a stable development branch that I could pull from
>>> instead.
>>> Is there such a branch?  Hopefully something that's been tested to
>>> some
>>> degree?
>>>
>>> Going through the order manager, I couldn't find a way to print
>>> shipping
>>> labels in batches or do other tasks in batches (such as packing).
>>> Is
>>> there a way to do this OFBiz out of the box?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

Re: Some questions about OFBiz

jamesterra
Thanks for the responses guys.  And sorry for not realizing this was already in documentation.  I was looking for days for information on batch printing of labels and could not find anything for the life of me.

Thanks again,
James

David E Jones wrote