To implement payment gateway: paypal

prateek-2
Hi
    We are working In Ecommerce part of "OFBIZ". If some customer add some items to shoping cart, and want to purchase them online through paypal then how it should de done.

  Actually my point is , Is there any configuration settings to implement " paypal " in ofbiz .
  And also what to do after configuring paypal settings.

Thanks in advance
 Prateek
 Voltix software
 India

Re: To implement payment gateway: paypal

BJ Freeman
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index
is a good place to start for any questions:
I did a search on paypal and came up with
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Apache+OFBiz+Business+Setup+Guide
it has a section on paypal.

Prateek sent the following on 10/17/2007 4:59 AM:

> Hi
>     We are working In Ecommerce part of "OFBIZ". If some customer add some
> items to shoping cart, and want to purchase them online through paypal then
> how it should de done.
>
>   Actually my point is , Is there any configuration settings to implement "
> paypal " in ofbiz .
>   And also what to do after configuring paypal settings.
>
> Thanks in advance
>  Prateek
>  Voltix software
>  India

GUI editors for ftl

SkipDever
I have Netbeans for Java and XUI as well as JBuilder for Java and
Dreamweaver for HTML, etc.

What do you guys use for new FTL devleopment?  Is there a GUI editor to make
the screen layout easier?

I am passionate about attractive and intuitive UIs and a GUI editor makes it
all easier.

Any tools and tricks to make life easier?

Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

Adrian Crum
You could take Dreamweaver's output and convert it to an FTL file.

skip@theDevers wrote:

> I have Netbeans for Java and XUI as well as JBuilder for Java and
> Dreamweaver for HTML, etc.
>
> What do you guys use for new FTL devleopment?  Is there a GUI editor to make
> the screen layout easier?
>
> I am passionate about attractive and intuitive UIs and a GUI editor makes it
> all easier.
>
> Any tools and tricks to make life easier?
>
> Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

Ftl's are tied to the bsh files in ofbiz.'
from the freemaker site
http://freemarker.org/editors.html
but more importantly most displays are dynamically produced from the
entities.
In otherwords the Field are not defined in the editor but produced when
the entity is read.
So the editor would have be entity aware and some form of CSS would have
to be used to give div classes to each field.

there are some Ftls and some widgets the build on other ftls and widgets
to create complex pages.

I am not sure there is any editor that will allow all that.

there has been some talk in the content module, but nothing definite,
like above.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 2:26 PM:

> I have Netbeans for Java and XUI as well as JBuilder for Java and
> Dreamweaver for HTML, etc.
>
> What do you guys use for new FTL devleopment?  Is there a GUI editor to make
> the screen layout easier?
>
> I am passionate about attractive and intuitive UIs and a GUI editor makes it
> all easier.
>
> Any tools and tricks to make life easier?
>
> Skip

RE: GUI editors for ftl

SkipDever
Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.  A
prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because this
is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if you
are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.

That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours training
my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.

Skip

Ftl's are tied to the bsh files in ofbiz.'
from the freemaker site
http://freemarker.org/editors.html
but more importantly most displays are dynamically produced from the
entities.
In otherwords the Field are not defined in the editor but produced when
the entity is read.
So the editor would have be entity aware and some form of CSS would have
to be used to give div classes to each field.

there are some Ftls and some widgets the build on other ftls and widgets
to create complex pages.

I am not sure there is any editor that will allow all that.

there has been some talk in the content module, but nothing definite,
like above.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 2:26 PM:
> I have Netbeans for Java and XUI as well as JBuilder for Java and
> Dreamweaver for HTML, etc.
>
> What do you guys use for new FTL devleopment?  Is there a GUI editor to
make
> the screen layout easier?
>
> I am passionate about attractive and intuitive UIs and a GUI editor makes
it
> all easier.
>
> Any tools and tricks to make life easier?
>
> Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

BJ Freeman
First I agree with you.
second I accomplish this buy having my own modules that I make my own
screens.

I have been thinking of asking to add Class field for each entry in a
entity. But I have not given much thought to this process yet.

then by use of a CSS you hide or relocated any field you want.

However there is not "one way" a screen should done.
so the implementations we now have are generic and suppose to be
modified by the consultant, in there release to the client.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 3:14 PM:

> Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
> screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
> usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.  A
> prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because this
> is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if you
> are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.
>
> That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours training
> my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
> these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.
>
> Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

Adrian Crum
Skip,

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If you want to create a custom UI using Dreamweaver, then
lay out the UI in Dreamweaver, and C&P the markup it generates into an FTL file.

You won't be able to do away with dynamic pages altogether since you're dealing with a dynamic website.

-Adrian

skip@theDevers wrote:

> Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
> screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
> usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.  A
> prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because this
> is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if you
> are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.
>
> That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours training
> my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
> these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.
>
> Skip

RE: GUI editors for ftl

SkipDever
BJ

Are these proprietary?  Seems a waste to re-invent the wheel when something
really close to what you want may already exist.

Skip

second I accomplish this buy having my own modules that I make my own
screens.

I have been thinking of asking to add Class field for each entry in a
entity. But I have not given much thought to this process yet.

then by use of a CSS you hide or relocated any field you want.

However there is not "one way" a screen should done.
so the implementations we now have are generic and suppose to be
modified by the consultant, in there release to the client.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 3:14 PM:
> Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
> screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
> usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.
> prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because
this
> is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if
you
> are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.
>
> That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours
training

> my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
> these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.
>
> Skip

RE: GUI editors for ftl

SkipDever
Adrian

By Dynamic, I really meant "autogenerated" off the entity field list.

skip@theDevers wrote:

> Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
> screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
> usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.
> prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because
this
> is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if
you
> are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.
>
> That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours
training

> my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
> these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.
>
> Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

not proprietary but more to fit a look and feel of yahoo
so to reduce the learning curve for those store owners.
Since I use widgets, it makes it easier, as far as I am concern than FTL's.
Also change the menu entry point so it has more business logic to the
processes.

Also remember I started this back in 2006 and lot has changed in ofbiz.
I really like the include function in the controller

I would say that 90% of the UI is still ofbiz

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 5:26 PM:

> BJ
>
> Are these proprietary?  Seems a waste to re-invent the wheel when something
> really close to what you want may already exist.
>
> Skip

Jira submissions

SkipDever
Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put up
submissions that you want to give back to the community.

The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have not
been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am looking
for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments are
applied?

I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure out
how to identify these submissions.

Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?

Skip

Re: Jira submissions

jonwimp
Currently, I just go through them all. I maintain my own database of records that point to JIRA
issues.

Yes, it's true that there's a great wealth of submitted codes we can reuse. As for why it isn't in
OFBiz, it's just not all that easy to fit every imaginable submission into a central framework.
Most of the submissions require quite a fundamental change to OFBiz way of doing this.

I would say you'll need to spend some effort to hunt down and to massage/refactor those
submissions for your own use.

Jonathon

skip@theDevers wrote:

> Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put up
> submissions that you want to give back to the community.
>
> The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have not
> been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am looking
> for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments are
> applied?
>
> I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure out
> how to identify these submissions.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?
>
> Skip

Re: Jira submissions

when a jira is created or modified it generates a email on the dev ML.
I filter them into a folder to review.
for the ones I have submitted, I can get a list once I login
you can use
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa
and put in POS as a query. hightligh ofbiz if you want only ofbiz
related issues.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/17/2007 7:15 PM:

> Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put up
> submissions that you want to give back to the community.
>
> The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have not
> been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am looking
> for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments are
> applied?
>
> I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure out
> how to identify these submissions.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?
>
> Skip

Re: Jira submissions

Hi Skip,

skip@theDevers wrote:
> Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put up
> submissions that you want to give back to the community.

I was probably the one that suggested this. The main reason is for
license issues and to be sure to be able to track the history of a
contribution.

> The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have not
> been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am looking
> for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments are
> applied?

I know that searching for contributions in Jira is not very user
friendly, however what I had in mind is the following:

1) you create and maintain a web site or a blog or even *better* a page
in the OFBiz Wiki site (Confluence) where you describe all the
contributions (not in trunk) that in your opinion are valuable ones

2) for the file download you point directly to the Jira issues

3) most of all, you will accept new contribution only thru the Apache Jira

> I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure out
> how to identify these submissions.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?

The url is the right one; I'm not an expert but there are a few reports
that could help you with this, the reports are all located at the top
right part of the above page; for example you may have a look at the
"Contribution Report":

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport!default.jspa?selectedProjectId=12310500&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions:contributionreport

Jacopo

> Skip

Re: GUI editors for ftl

skip@theDevers wrote:
> Thanks to both BJ and Adrian for the input.  The dynamically produced
> screens are not suitable in my view.  No eye has been given to layout,
> usability, and context making the users live harder than it needs to be.  A
> prime example is the Payments screen in the Accounting module.  Because this
> is so generic, there are 14 fields where there needs to be 5 (or six if you
> are dealing with foreign currencies) for the common payment tasks.

The genericity of that page is probably intentional, and it is not a
consequence of the form widget code.
Form (and screen) widgets have been designed and implemented to
facilitate customizations and customer extensions; you have total
control of the fields you want to see in your forms and you can also
extend existing forms. auto-fields it is just one of the many great
features of the widgets.

Just my 2 cents

Jacopo

> That is why I want to replace these so I don't have to spend hours training
> my customers' employees every time they hire a new one.  In other words,
> these dynamically generated screens are the problem, not the solution.
>
> Skip

RE: Jira submissions

SkipDever
Jonathon

Hmmm, well, an organized web site dedicated to those submissions would make
them way easier to find.  It's bad enough doing the development without
spending hours and hours digging through Jira to find these.

skip@theDevers wrote:
> Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put
up
> submissions that you want to give back to the community.
>
> The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have
not
> been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am
looking
> for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments
are
> applied?
>
> I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure
out
> how to identify these submissions.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?
>
> Skip

RE: Jira submissions

SkipDever
Thanks to everyone.  I'll try these and see what turns up.  Manually sifting
through hundreds of Jira issues does not seem all that appealing.

> Somewhere a few days ago, I was told that Jira was the best place to put
up
> submissions that you want to give back to the community.

I was probably the one that suggested this. The main reason is for
license issues and to be sure to be able to track the history of a
contribution.

> The question is, how does the community find those submissions that have
not
> been included in the release but might be right for them?  Say I am
looking
> for a modified pos, or a new accounting UI or a fix to the way payments
are
> applied?

I know that searching for contributions in Jira is not very user
friendly, however what I had in mind is the following:

1) you create and maintain a web site or a blog or even *better* a page
in the OFBiz Wiki site (Confluence) where you describe all the
contributions (not in trunk) that in your opinion are valuable ones

2) for the file download you point directly to the Jira issues

3) most of all, you will accept new contribution only thru the Apache Jira

> I have just spent a half an hour browsing Jira and can't seem to figure
out
> how to identify these submissions.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong url at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ ?

The url is the right one; I'm not an expert but there are a few reports
that could help you with this, the reports are all located at the top
right part of the above page; for example you may have a look at the
"Contribution Report":

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport!default.jspa?selectedP
rojectId=12310500&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions:
contributionreport

Jacopo

> Skip

Re: Jira submissions

Adrian Crum
skip@theDevers wrote:
> Thanks to everyone.  I'll try these and see what turns up.  Manually sifting
> through hundreds of Jira issues does not seem all that appealing.

It gets easier with practice. ;-)