Toirtoisegit keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore

Toirtoisegit keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore

As you may know I'm mostly on Windows and I use ToirtoiseGit to handle things, and in a lesser way Git Bash and eGit (Eclipse plugin).

There is something which is annoying me with ToirtoiseGit. I don't know why but it keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore.

I want to push it, but before I'd like your opinions.

Re: Toirtoisegit keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore

taher
as a general rule I would recommend against avoiding commits as a
workaround for specific tools. perhaps you can change the tool
settings to not generate this file.

on another note, you might want to consider something like git-cola
[1]. I it manages to combine simplicity with richness.

[1] https://git-cola.github.io/

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 3:50 PM Jacques Le Roux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you may know I'm mostly on Windows and I use ToirtoiseGit to handle things, and in a lesser way Git Bash and eGit (Eclipse plugin).
>
> There is something which is annoying me with ToirtoiseGit. I don't know why but it keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore.
>
> I want to push it, but before I'd like your opinions.

Re: Toirtoisegit keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore

Mathieu Lirzin
Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]> writes:

> as a general rule I would recommend against avoiding commits as a
> workaround for specific tools. perhaps you can change the tool
> settings to not generate this file.

+1

> on another note, you might want to consider something like git-cola
> [1]. I it manages to combine simplicity with richness.

Or maybe it is just time to adopt a GNU/Linux distribution instead of
fighting against an hostile developement environment. ;-)

Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

Re: Toirtoisegit keeps adding "/gradle/" in .gitignore

Thanks Taher and Mathieu for trying to somehow help ;)

As those were not real answers to my question and I got some time to spend I looked for a Git solution

Actually I already use the ignore-on-commit ToirtoiseGit solution for my other specific added files (mostly *.bat shortcuts):
https://tortoisegit.org/docs/tortoisegit/tgit-dug-changelists.html. I use it for years in ToirtoiseSvn, Toirtoise* tools are terrific :)

But it's not satisfying for .gitignore, because I don't want to ignore .gitignore but to prevent  ToirtoiseGit to put /gradle/ in it (why it does that
is still a mystery to me, must be a reason...)

So I discovered[1][2] .git/info/exclude and I guess it's OK with me (still have to try)

[1] https://medium.com/@dave_lunny/exclude-files-from-git-without-committing-changes-to-gitignore-986fa712e78d
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5765645/should-you-commit-gitignore-into-the-git-repos