UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
The latest version of the maincss.css file has been submitted to Jira
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-754). The latest version still
contains the old classes but now it includes new ones.

The new classes follow the OFBiz CSS Best Practices. They are designed to style
HTML element collections (or compounds). The Jira issue contains an overview of
the HTML collections they style.

It would be helpful to have a few people apply this patch to their local copy
and try it out just to be sure everything still works okay.

The widgets have been refactored to utilize the new CSS classes by rendering the
appropriate HTML element collections
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-671). In addition, the widgets have
been designed to default to certain styles so that the defaults don't need to be
specified in the widget xml files. If a unique style is needed, then the
defaults can be overridden.

I'm working on preparing a pdf document that provides step-by-step instructions
on how to refactor the UI. It will be arranged in a way that will help anyone
who wants to contribute. My hope is that we can fly through the widget xml files
and freemarker ftl files and get this effort behind us in short order.

Looking to the future -

I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754 and
OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the Party Manager
component as a test bed for the UI refactoring initiative, and even though that
work is nearly done, I'm still finding ways to improve the main style sheet and
widgets. Bottom line is, they aren't fully cooked.

 From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another contributor
take on one of the other components and start refactoring it using the new style
sheet and widgets. They can see if there is anything lacking in the new versions
and improve upon what I've done so far (if necessary). When they give a nod of
approval, then we can get the new style sheet and widgets committed to the project.

If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.

-Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Jacopo Cappellato
Adrian,

first of all thanks for your effort. Please see my comments inline.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> The latest version of the maincss.css file has been submitted to Jira
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-754). The latest version
> still contains the old classes but now it includes new ones.
>
> The new classes follow the OFBiz CSS Best Practices. They are designed
> to style HTML element collections (or compounds). The Jira issue
> contains an overview of the HTML collections they style.
>
> It would be helpful to have a few people apply this patch to their local
> copy and try it out just to be sure everything still works okay.

I did it but now the forms in the party application are a bit ugly (I've
mentioned it in another post) but most of all the existing forms in the
other components seem to have lost all their styles.
Am I missing something?

> The widgets have been refactored to utilize the new CSS classes by
> rendering the appropriate HTML element collections
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-671). In addition, the
> widgets have been designed to default to certain styles so that the
> defaults don't need to be specified in the widget xml files. If a unique
> style is needed, then the defaults can be overridden.
>
> I'm working on preparing a pdf document that provides step-by-step
> instructions on how to refactor the UI. It will be arranged in a way
> that will help anyone who wants to contribute. My hope is that we can
> fly through the widget xml files and freemarker ftl files and get this
> effort behind us in short order.

wouldn't be a wiki page more appropriate and easy to manage?
docs.ofbiz.org

Jacopo

> Looking to the future -
>
> I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754
> and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the
> Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring initiative,
> and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still finding ways to
> improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line is, they aren't
> fully cooked.
>
>  From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another
> contributor take on one of the other components and start refactoring it
> using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is anything
> lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done so far (if
> necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can get the new
> style sheet and widgets committed to the project.
>
> If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.
>
> -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> I did it but now the forms in the party application are a bit ugly (I've
> mentioned it in another post) but most of all the existing forms in the
> other components seem to have lost all their styles.
> Am I missing something?

I just left a comment in the Jira issue. I'm also reverting and reapplying the
patches to my copy to see if I missed something.

> wouldn't be a wiki page more appropriate and easy to manage?
> docs.ofbiz.org

A pdf file can be printed, assembled into booklet form and handed out at, let's
say, a developer's conference or something. ;)

Re: UI Refactoring progress

David E Jones

On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

>> wouldn't be a wiki page more appropriate and easy to manage?
>> docs.ofbiz.org
>
> A pdf file can be printed, assembled into booklet form and handed
> out at, let's say, a developer's conference or something. ;)

So can a web page, or (check this out...) a PDF exported from a
confluence page on docs.ofbiz.org...

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum wrote:

> A pdf file can be printed, assembled into booklet form and handed out
> at, let's say, a developer's conference or something. ;)

Also the Confluence pages can be rendered with a pdf page :-)

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
Okay, okay. I'll put it on the wiki.

:p

Adrian Crum wrote:
> I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754
> and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the
> Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring initiative,
> and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still finding ways to
> improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line is, they aren't
> fully cooked.

I've applied the new styles:

the form widget refactoring:

and the party example:

and they all seem pretty good to me.
I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the community to
test it ;-)
In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the refinement
of this effort.
I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go on I'd
love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.

Jacopo

>  From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another
> contributor take on one of the other components and start refactoring it
> using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is anything
> lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done so far (if
> necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can get the new
> style sheet and widgets committed to the project.
>
> If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.
>
> -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

David E Jones

On Feb 27, 2007, at 2:13 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the
> community to test it ;-)
> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the
> refinement of this effort.
> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go
> on I'd love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.

I reviewed this briefly and while it's a bit aggressive in moving in
that direction, maybe that's just what we need right now as I agree
this is the direction we want to move in.

Re: UI Refactoring progress

> Adrian Crum wrote:
> > I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing
OFBIZ-754
> > and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the
> > Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring
initiative,
> > and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still finding ways to
> > improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line is, they
aren't

> > fully cooked.
> >

> I've applied the new styles:

> the form widget refactoring:

> and the party example:

> and they all seem pretty good to me.
> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the community
> test it ;-)
> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the refinement
> of this effort.
> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go on
I'd
> love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.

+1, Commit Then Review is ok for me in such a case, else it will take
longer... Always possible to revert anyway...

Jacques

> Jacopo
>

> >  From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another
> > contributor take on one of the other components and start
refactoring it
> > using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is
anything
> > lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done so far
(if
> > necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can get the
new
> > style sheet and widgets committed to the project.
> >
> > If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.
> >
> > -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
*cringes*

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2007, at 2:13 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the  community
>> to test it ;-)
>> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the
>> refinement of this effort.
>> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go  on
>> I'd love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.
>

> I reviewed this briefly and while it's a bit aggressive in moving in
> that direction, maybe that's just what we need right now as I agree
> this is the direction we want to move in.

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
Jacopo,

Please don't commit it until the new styles are added to ecommain.css.

-Adrian

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Adrian Crum wrote:

>> I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754
>> and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the
>> Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring
>> initiative, and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still
>> finding ways to improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line
>> is, they aren't fully cooked.
>>

> I've applied the new styles:

> the form widget refactoring:

> and the party example:

> and they all seem pretty good to me.
> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the community to
> test it ;-)
> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the refinement
> of this effort.
> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go on I'd
> love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.
>
> Jacopo
>

>>  From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another
>> contributor take on one of the other components and start refactoring
>> it using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is
>> anything lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done
>> so far (if necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can
>> get the new style sheet and widgets committed to the project.
>>
>> If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.
>>
>> -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Jacopo Cappellato
Adrian,

do we really need them?
The ecommerce is not using the widgets and at first look it is working fine.

Jacopo

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> Please don't commit it until the new styles are added to ecommain.css.
>
> -Adrian
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Adrian Crum wrote:

>>> I think it would be best if we could hold off on committing OFBIZ-754
>>> and OFBIZ-671 for a little while longer. I have been refactoring the
>>> Party Manager component as a test bed for the UI refactoring
>>> initiative, and even though that work is nearly done, I'm still
>>> finding ways to improve the main style sheet and widgets. Bottom line
>>> is, they aren't fully cooked.
>>>

>> I've applied the new styles:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-754
>>
>> the form widget refactoring:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-671
>>
>> and the party example:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-763
>>
>> and they all seem pretty good to me.
>> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the community
>> to test it ;-)
>> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the refinement
>> of this effort.
>> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go on
>> I'd love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>

>>>  From my perspective, the ideal scenario would be to have another
>>> contributor take on one of the other components and start refactoring
>>> it using the new style sheet and widgets. They can see if there is
>>> anything lacking in the new versions and improve upon what I've done
>>> so far (if necessary). When they give a nod of approval, then we can
>>> get the new style sheet and widgets committed to the project.
>>>
>>> If anyone has a better plan, please suggest it.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
David just mentioned the Tree Widget being used by the blog. Maybe we just need
to include the basic-tree class.

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> do we really need them?
> The ecommerce is not using the widgets and at first look it is working
> fine.
>
> Jacopo
>
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> Please don't commit it until the new styles are added to ecommain.css.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>

>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

>>> I've applied the new styles:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-754
>>>
>>> the form widget refactoring:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-671
>>>
>>> and the party example:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-763
>>>
>>> and they all seem pretty good to me.
>>> I'd suggest to commit everything to svn and then force the community
>>> to test it ;-)
>>> In this way we will get more feedback and will speed up the
>>> refinement of this effort.
>>> I can commit the work if there are no objections, but before I go on
>>> I'd love to get committers' feedback, especially on OFBIZ-671.
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Jacopo Cappellato
For what I understand, the blog stuff is still experimental, and by the
way it is not a big issue if it gets decorated in an ugly way during the
transition.
So I'd suggest to go on and commit this work (as soon as I'll find some
time to do a bit more tests).
Is it ok for you? Or would you prefer to work more on your patches... I
really don't want to put pressure on you.

Jacopo

Adrian Crum wrote:

> David just mentioned the Tree Widget being used by the blog. Maybe we
> just need to include the basic-tree class.
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> do we really need them?
>> The ecommerce is not using the widgets and at first look it is working
>> fine.
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Jacopo,
>>>
>>> Please don't commit it until the new styles are added to ecommain.css.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Adrian Crum
It's fine with me. I just want to be sure the commit doesn't break anything.

That you very much for your help with this! The fact that it is moving so
quickly is simultaneously exciting and scary. ;)

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> For what I understand, the blog stuff is still experimental, and by the
> way it is not a big issue if it gets decorated in an ugly way during the
> transition.
> So I'd suggest to go on and commit this work (as soon as I'll find some
> time to do a bit more tests).
> Is it ok for you? Or would you prefer to work more on your patches... I
> really don't want to put pressure on you.
>
> Jacopo
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> David just mentioned the Tree Widget being used by the blog. Maybe we
>> just need to include the basic-tree class.
>>

>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> Adrian,
>>>
>>> do we really need them?
>>> The ecommerce is not using the widgets and at first look it is
>>> working fine.
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: UI Refactoring progress

I will be happy to help on this next week... If it's not too late...

Jacques

> It's fine with me. I just want to be sure the commit doesn't break
anything.

> That you very much for your help with this! The fact that it is moving
so
> quickly is simultaneously exciting and scary. ;)
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
> > For what I understand, the blog stuff is still experimental, and by
the
> > way it is not a big issue if it gets decorated in an ugly way during
the
> > transition.
> > So I'd suggest to go on and commit this work (as soon as I'll find
some
> > time to do a bit more tests).
> > Is it ok for you? Or would you prefer to work more on your
patches... I
> > really don't want to put pressure on you.
> >
> > Jacopo
> >

> > Adrian Crum wrote:
> >
> >> David just mentioned the Tree Widget being used by the blog. Maybe
we

> >> just need to include the basic-tree class.

ecommain.css.

UI
done,

OFBIZ-671.

upon

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Jacopo Cappellato
To all,

a few minutes ago I've committed all the patches from Adrian Crum:
- new css definitions
- form widget refactorings
- partymgr application refactored to use the new styles as a PoC

The mods are a bit aggressive so, please, help with test, bug reports
and remarks!!!

Adrian, could you please verify if I've missed something?

Jacopo

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I will be happy to help on this next week... If it's not too late...
>
> Jacques

Re: UI Refactoring progress

cjhowe
On a quick pass through everything looks good.  Good work Adrian!
--- Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To all,
>
> a few minutes ago I've committed all the patches from Adrian Crum:
> - new css definitions
> - form widget refactorings
> - partymgr application refactored to use the new styles as a PoC
>
> The mods are a bit aggressive so, please, help with test, bug reports
>
> and remarks!!!
>
> Adrian, could you please verify if I've missed something?
>
> Jacopo
>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > I will be happy to help on this next week... If it's not too
> late...
> >
> > Jacques

Re: UI Refactoring progress

Christian Geisert
Jacopo Cappellato schrieb:
> To all,
>
> a few minutes ago I've committed all the patches from Adrian Crum:
> - new css definitions
> - form widget refactorings
> - partymgr application refactored to use the new styles as a PoC
>
> The mods are a bit aggressive so, please, help with test, bug reports
> and remarks!!!

I just noticed a small problem when viewing a request
(https://localhost:8443/ordermgr/control/ViewRequest?custRequestId=10000):
the main section is right aligned (instead of left aligned)

Sorry no time to have a closer look now.

--
Christian