Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

taher
Hello Everyone,

I just received some good news from Mathieu Lirzin (Thank you Mathieu)
on the state of Gradle. Essentially, we were worried about gradle
deprecating spaces used in task names which led to problems in issuing
our standard server commands [1]. Thankfully, it seems this issue is
resolved, the gradle folks seem to have changed their minds and we can
continue as usual.

Therefore, I recommend we upgrade gradle to version 5. It is a lot
faster for loading (it runs parallel processes for downloading
dependencies) and it is also more compatible with newer versions of
Java.

grv

Re: Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

grv
Hi Taher

I'm all for it. I have also updated the version and it seems to be working
just fine in my workspace.

Just a very minor caveat I noticed with the upgrade is that you don't see
what all tasks gradle executed, while the earlier versions showed the
executed tasks and their corresponding output.

With the newer version you see -  Build Successful on the terminal. More
often than not we are not going to be bothered by this, but having it
display the executed tasks helps debugging, I feel.

Here's
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45883963/gradle-4-0-does-not-display-executed-tasks-in-command-line>
the
solution that worked for me.

Best,
Girish

Le 28/11/2018 à 18:56, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I just received some good news from Mathieu Lirzin (Thank you Mathieu)
> on the state of Gradle. Essentially, we were worried about gradle
> deprecating spaces used in task names which led to problems in issuing
> our standard server commands [1]. Thankfully, it seems this issue is
> resolved, the gradle folks seem to have changed their minds and we can
> continue as usual.
>
> Therefore, I recommend we upgrade gradle to version 5. It is a lot
> faster for loading (it runs parallel processes for downloading
> dependencies) and it is also more compatible with newer versions of
> Java.

+1

Re: Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

Thanks for the tip Girish!

Jacques

Le 29/11/2018 à 07:34, Girish Vasmatkar a écrit :

> Hi Taher
>
> I'm all for it. I have also updated the version and it seems to be working
> just fine in my workspace.
>
> Just a very minor caveat I noticed with the upgrade is that you don't see
> what all tasks gradle executed, while the earlier versions showed the
> executed tasks and their corresponding output.
>
> With the newer version you see -  Build Successful on the terminal. More
> often than not we are not going to be bothered by this, but having it
> display the executed tasks helps debugging, I feel.
>
> Here's
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45883963/gradle-4-0-does-not-display-executed-tasks-in-command-line>
> the
> solution that worked for me.
>
> Best,
> Girish
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I just received some good news from Mathieu Lirzin (Thank you Mathieu)
>> on the state of Gradle. Essentially, we were worried about gradle
>> deprecating spaces used in task names which led to problems in issuing
>> our standard server commands [1]. Thankfully, it seems this issue is
>> resolved, the gradle folks seem to have changed their minds and we can
>> continue as usual.
>>
>> Therefore, I recommend we upgrade gradle to version 5. It is a lot
>> faster for loading (it runs parallel processes for downloading
>> dependencies) and it is also more compatible with newer versions of
>> Java.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9972

Re: Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

Deepak Dixit-4
+1,
After applying patch its working fine.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:53 PM Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip Girish!
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 29/11/2018 à 07:34, Girish Vasmatkar a écrit :
> > Hi Taher
> >
> > I'm all for it. I have also updated the version and it seems to be
> working
> > just fine in my workspace.
> >
> > Just a very minor caveat I noticed with the upgrade is that you don't see
> > what all tasks gradle executed, while the earlier versions showed the
> > executed tasks and their corresponding output.
> >
> > With the newer version you see -  Build Successful on the terminal. More
> > often than not we are not going to be bothered by this, but having it
> > display the executed tasks helps debugging, I feel.
> >
> > Here's
> > <
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45883963/gradle-4-0-does-not-display-executed-tasks-in-command-line
> >
> > the
> > solution that worked for me.
> >
> > Best,
> > Girish
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Everyone,
> >>
> >> I just received some good news from Mathieu Lirzin (Thank you Mathieu)
> >> on the state of Gradle. Essentially, we were worried about gradle
> >> deprecating spaces used in task names which led to problems in issuing
> >> our standard server commands [1]. Thankfully, it seems this issue is
> >> resolved, the gradle folks seem to have changed their minds and we can
> >> continue as usual.
> >>
> >> Therefore, I recommend we upgrade gradle to version 5. It is a lot
> >> faster for loading (it runs parallel processes for downloading
> >> dependencies) and it is also more compatible with newer versions of
> >> Java.
> >>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9972

Re: Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

taher
upgraded in r1848062 and referenced in OFBIZ-9972. Thank you all folks
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 11:52 AM Deepak Dixit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1,
> After applying patch its working fine.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:53 PM Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the tip Girish!
> >
> > Jacques
> >

> > Le 29/11/2018 à 07:34, Girish Vasmatkar a écrit :
> > > Hi Taher
> > >
> > > I'm all for it. I have also updated the version and it seems to be
> > working
> > > just fine in my workspace.
> > >
> > > Just a very minor caveat I noticed with the upgrade is that you don't see
> > > what all tasks gradle executed, while the earlier versions showed the
> > > executed tasks and their corresponding output.
> > >
> > > With the newer version you see -  Build Successful on the terminal. More
> > > often than not we are not going to be bothered by this, but having it
> > > display the executed tasks helps debugging, I feel.
> > >
> > > Here's
> > > <
> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45883963/gradle-4-0-does-not-display-executed-tasks-in-command-line
> > >
> > > the
> > > solution that worked for me.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Girish
> > >
> > > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM Taher Alkhateeb <
> > [hidden email]>

Re: Upgrading gradle to version 5.0

Rishi Solanki
Thanks Taher!