Users - Company as Employer

Charles Johnson-4
Just some general advice about Party/PartyRole please:

a. I take it that it's legitimate to leave Party 'Company' with that id
and to alter its other attributes as appropriate?
b. Is it legitimate for 'Company' to have the role EMPLOYER, as opposed
to that role being taken by a Person?

CJ

Re: Users - Company as Employer

Si Chen-2
Yes to both.

However, PartyRelationship can be a bit tricky.  Search the emails from
last Nov/Dec here or look in our crm app's seed data for some examples
of how to conform to OFBiz standards.

Last of all--did you get my emails last week, sent from our demo ofbiz
server? :)

Charles Johnson wrote:
> a. I take it that it's legitimate to leave Party 'Company' with that id
> and to alter its other attributes as appropriate?

Yes. Unless you are very familiar with OFBiz I wouldn't even recommend considering to try to build up a company config on your own. There are too many options and it is too easy to set it up to do something you don't want because you're not sure what an option is. It depends on the size of your deployment of course, as some companies really need to (or should...) know all options to avoid or solve problems over time and really get it working the way they want.

> b. Is it legitimate for 'Company' to have the role EMPLOYER, as opposed
> to that role being taken by a Person?

Any Party can have and RoleType associated with them, regardless of whether that Party is a Person or a PartyGroup. So yes, it is fine for the Company party (a PartyGroup) to have that role.

David E Jones wrote:

>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>a. I take it that it's legitimate to leave Party 'Company' with that id
>>and to alter its other attributes as appropriate?
>>

>Yes. Unless you are very familiar with OFBiz I wouldn't even recommend considering to try to build up a company config on your own. There are too many options and it is too easy to set it up to do something you don't want because you're not sure what an option is. It depends on the size of your deployment of course, as some companies really need to (or should...) know all options to avoid or solve problems over time and really get it working the way they want.
>

>>b. Is it legitimate for 'Company' to have the role EMPLOYER, as opposed
>>to that role being taken by a Person?
>>

>Any Party can have and RoleType associated with them, regardless of whether that Party is a Person or a PartyGroup. So yes, it is fine for the Company party (a PartyGroup) to have that role.
>
>-David

>>Any Party can have and RoleType associated with them

Thanks David. I just though some might argue that it could hide a
relationship, since it could be said to cloak the Person relationship
between a an employer and employee - I wonder if that's what Si Chen is
alluding to in his comments on this? Still it needn't be an either/or -
or need it..?

Charles Johnson wrote:

Just some general advice about Party/PartyRole please:

a. I take it that it's legitimate to leave Party 'Company' with that id
and to alter its other attributes as appropriate?
b. Is it legitimate for 'Company' to have the role EMPLOYER, as opposed
to that role being taken by a Person?

CJ

Last of all--did you get my emails last week, sent from our demo ofbiz
server? :)

Yes i did thanks and thought i'd replied to you about that. You kindly sent me two sets. One of the responses i sent was undeliverable and that i only just discovered today. Let me know if you need more info.

However, PartyRelationship can be a bit tricky.

Indeed. This seems to be anomalous (hope you can view html mail in this case):

The Profile of Alison Wilson [10050]

Member Roles
Role

Salaried employee [PAID_EMPLOYEE]
//=============================================================================================

The Profile of Alison Wilson [10050]
Relationships
 Description
 From Date

Party 10050 in role Salaried employee is a Employee of party Company in role Employer
 2003-01-01 00:00:00.000
[Remove]
Thru Date: <a href="javascript:call_cal(document.updatePartyRel0.thruDate, null);">Calendar Comments:
Party Company in role Employer is a Employee of party 10050 in role Salaried employee
 2003-01-01 00:00:00.000
[Remove]

CJ

Re: Users - Company as Employer

Adrian Crum
The second party relationship should be removed - it doesn't make sense.

Charles Johnson wrote:

[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="javascript:call_cal(document.updatePartyRel0.thruDate,null);"><javascript:call_cal(document.updatePartyRel0.thruDate, null);>
*Comments: *

Party *Company* in role *Employer* is a *Employee* of party *10050* in
role *Salaried employee*

 2003-01-01 00:00:00.000
	[Remove]
<https://127.0.0.1:8443/partymgr/control/deletePartyRelationship?partyIdTo=Company&roleTypeIdTo=EMPLOYER&roleTypeIdFrom=PAID_EMPLOYEE&partyIdFrom=10050&fromDate=2003-01-01%2000:00:00.000&partyId=10050>

CJ

The second party relationship should be removed - it doesn't make sense.

Yes - that's the point, but here it is in PartyRelationship:

View Delete
10050
Company
PAID_EMPLOYEE
EMPLOYER
2003-01-01 00:00:00.0

EMPLOYMENT

2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
2006-05-08
 14:04:27.898
View Delete
Company
10050
EMPLOYER
PAID_EMPLOYEE
2003-01-01 00:00:00.0

EMPLOYMENT

2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
2006-05-08 14:05:06.494

Re: Users - Company as Employer

Adrian Crum
If any applications DO use the inverse relationship then they should be
rewritten. That relationship doesn't make sense.

An employer is not the employee of the employee (unless there is some kind of
weird arrangement in the real world).

Si Chen wrote:

> Hey - that's exactly how PartyRelationships are set up.  Be
> careful--different applications may use the inverse relationship.
>
> Si
>
> Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>>The second party relationship should be removed - it doesn't make sense.

>>The second party relationship should be removed - it doesn't make sense.
>>>>

>>Yes - that's the point, but here it is in PartyRelationship:
>>

>> View
>> <https://127.0.0.1:8443/webtools/control/ViewGeneric?entityName=PartyRelationship&partyIdFrom=10050&partyIdTo=Company&roleTypeIdFrom=PAID_EMPLOYEE&roleTypeIdTo=EMPLOYER&fromDate=2003-01-01%2000:00:00.0>
>> <https://127.0.0.1:8443/webtools/control/UpdateGeneric?entityName=PartyRelationship&partyIdFrom=10050&partyIdTo=Company&roleTypeIdFrom=PAID_EMPLOYEE&roleTypeIdTo=EMPLOYER&fromDate=2003-01-01%2000:00:00.0&UPDATE_MODE=DELETE&entityName=PartyRelationship&find=true>
>>
>> 10050
>>
>> Company
>>
>> PAID_EMPLOYEE
>>
>> EMPLOYER
>>
>> 2003-01-01 00:00:00.0
>>

>> EMPLOYMENT
>>

>> 2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
>>
>> 2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
>>
>> 2006-05-08 14:04:27.898
>>
>> 2006-05-08
>>  14:04:27.898
>> View
>> <https://127.0.0.1:8443/webtools/control/ViewGeneric?entityName=PartyRelationship&partyIdFrom=Company&partyIdTo=10050&roleTypeIdFrom=EMPLOYER&roleTypeIdTo=PAID_EMPLOYEE&fromDate=2003-01-01%2000:00:00.0>
>> <https://127.0.0.1:8443/webtools/control/UpdateGeneric?entityName=PartyRelationship&partyIdFrom=Company&partyIdTo=10050&roleTypeIdFrom=EMPLOYER&roleTypeIdTo=PAID_EMPLOYEE&fromDate=2003-01-01%2000:00:00.0&UPDATE_MODE=DELETE&entityName=PartyRelationship&find=true>
>>
>> Company
>>
>> 10050
>>
>> EMPLOYER
>>
>> PAID_EMPLOYEE
>>
>> 2003-01-01 00:00:00.0
>>

>> EMPLOYMENT
>>

>> 2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
>>
>> 2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
>>
>> 2006-05-08 14:05:06.494
>>
>> 2006-05-08 14:05:06.494

>> Hey - that's exactly how PartyRelationships are set up

Sorry - i'm now getting confused. I put that PartyRelationship together:

a. is it right?
b. is it redundant to specify the inverse relationship explicitly?
c. Why is the application saying
"Party *Company* in role *Employer* is a *Employee* of party *10050* in
role *Salaried employee*"
(which of course is part of the general PartyManager functionality)?

CJ