Users - Current State of Workflow Tools within OFBiz?

Users - Current State of Workflow Tools within OFBiz?

Ruth Hoffman
Hello All:
Searching the e-mail lists and OFBiz Wiki return a dearth of info on the
current state of workflow support within OFBiz. I was wondering if
anyone has any words of wisdom concerning coming up to speed on OFBiz
workflow support. I've got a potential project that probably needs some
automated service activation functions tied directly to my e-commerce
products. (For example, a user buys a product and after payment &
shipping confirmation as performed by the standard OFBiz app, a number
of background processes need to be initiated and managed that ultimately
provision the order.)

Anyhow, any thoughts on where and how to start with OFBiz workflow?
Like, should I be looking at Shark or the WorkEffort stuff?

TIA
Ruth

Re: Users - Current State of Workflow Tools within OFBiz?

David E. Jones

This doesn't really sound like it would necessarily be a good problem to solve with Workflow. On the other hand if there are more details about the "background processes" like them being somewhat complex, very consistent, and involving both automated processes and various human interactions, then yes a traditional Workflow tool would be helpful.

Part of the trick behind this is that the OFBiz Workflow Engine has limited tools like visual workflow tools and such, and the Shark integration is not 100% complete or up to date with the latest version of Shark. So, either way it is going to require some work. If it is a limited budget project and you are not very familiar with the current tools then I wouldn't recommend it as the risks are fairly high and the unknowns may bite you pretty good.

This is an area that needs a fair amount of R&D before it can be easily and effectively applied. If you have a sufficiently large contract to justify that, then that would be great. If not, it's a tougher call.

The current workflow example in OFBiz that uses the Workflow Engine is actually related to order approval, so you could start with that.

In general I think what workflow is and is good for is quite misunderstood. In many cases other tools are more flexible and easier to use. In this case you may just need an SECA to trigger your fulfillment logic, and then off you go. That is usually what is needed in these provisioning cases, and there is even some example code in the order component for provisioning content from the OFBiz content component.

-David