Users - OFBiz No Longer Starts

Lon F. Binder-2
We have a number of installations of OFBiz running in linux.  They were all working fine, one day several of them started failing upon restart (shutdown / startup).  It seems to fail due to not finding JOTM.

Note that we have not changed any config files between when ofbiz worked and when it stopped working.  There are no errors in the log, but here's the first case of the JOTM not working:

[16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - JOTM started with a local transaction factory which is not bound.
[16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - CAROL initialization
[16:07:48,598] INFO  jotm.jta  - Jotm version = 2.0.9
[16:07:48,650] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for class name: [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.spi.MultiOrbInitialContextFactory]
[16:07:48,662] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for class name: [com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory]
[16:07:48,680] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for class name: [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.enc.java.javaURLContextFactory]
org.ofbiz.base.start.StartupException: Cannot init() jotm-container (Unable to bind UserTransaction/TransactionManager to JNDI (null))
        at org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.loadContainer(Lorg.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerConfig$Container;[Ljava.lang.String;)Lorg.ofbiz.base.container.Container;(ContainerLoader.java:152)

We have ensured that the JOTM port we configured is not being used by anything else (netstat -na).  And again, this was working this morning, it just stopped being able to restart.

Any ideas??

 - Lon

Re: Users - OFBiz No Longer Starts

Brett
Lon,

I seen this sometimes when ofbiz didn't completely come up.  Try using
the following command to see if there are any other ofbiz processes
running:

ps -ef |grep ofbiz

and

ps -ef |grep java

If there are any processes that look like they are part of the ofbiz
startup you should kill them.  Then try restarting ofbiz again and see
if the error clears up.

Brett

On 3/22/06, Lon F. Binder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a number of installations of OFBiz running in linux.  They were all
> working fine, one day several of them started failing upon restart (shutdown
> / startup).  It seems to fail due to not finding JOTM.
>
> Note that we have not changed any config files between when ofbiz worked and
> when it stopped working.  There are no errors in the log, but here's the
> first case of the JOTM not working:
>
> [16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - JOTM started with a local transaction
> factory which is not bound.
> [16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - CAROL initialization
> [16:07:48,598] INFO  jotm.jta  - Jotm version = 2.0.9
> [16:07:48,650] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for
> class name:
> [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.spi.MultiOrbInitialContextFactory]
> [16:07:48,662] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for
> class name:
> [com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory]
> [16:07:48,680] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for
> class name:
> [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.enc.java.javaURLContextFactory]
> org.ofbiz.base.start.StartupException: Cannot init()
> jotm-container (Unable to bind
> UserTransaction/TransactionManager to JNDI (null))
>         at
> org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.loadContainer(Lorg.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerConfig$Container;[Ljava.lang.String;)Lorg.ofbiz.base.container.Container;(ContainerLoader.java:152)
>

> We have ensured that the JOTM port we configured is not being used by
> anything else (netstat -na).  And again, this was working this morning, it
> just stopped being able to restart.
>
> Any ideas??
>

>  - Lon

Re: Users - OFBiz No Longer Starts

Lon F. Binder-2
Brett,

Thank you for responding.  We generally keep about 6 instances of ofbiz
running on this box, all with different ports.  We've not had problems
before.

In fact, we restarted the whole box, it didn't help.  Some OFBiz instances
start, some don't.  As much as we can think of, nothing changed.

 - Lon

I seen this sometimes when ofbiz didn't completely come up.  Try using the
following command to see if there are any other ofbiz processes
running:

ps -ef |grep ofbiz

and

ps -ef |grep java

If there are any processes that look like they are part of the ofbiz startup
you should kill them.  Then try restarting ofbiz again and see if the error
clears up.

Brett

On 3/22/06, Lon F. Binder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a number of installations of OFBiz running in linux.  They
> were all working fine, one day several of them started failing upon
> restart (shutdown / startup).  It seems to fail due to not finding JOTM.
>
> Note that we have not changed any config files between when ofbiz
> worked and when it stopped working.  There are no errors in the log,
> but here's the first case of the JOTM not working:
>
> [16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - JOTM started with a local
> transaction factory which is not bound.
> [16:07:48,479] INFO  objectweb.jotm  - CAROL initialization
> [16:07:48,598] INFO  jotm.jta  - Jotm version = 2.0.9 [16:07:48,650]
> DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache miss for class
> name:
> [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.spi.MultiOrbInitialContextFactory]
> [16:07:48,662] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache
> miss for class name:
> [com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory]
> [16:07:48,680] DEBUG util.CachedClassLoader  - Cached loader cache
> miss for class name:
> [org.objectweb.carol.jndi.enc.java.javaURLContextFactory]
> org.ofbiz.base.start.StartupException: Cannot init() jotm-container
> (Unable to bind UserTransaction/TransactionManager to JNDI (null))
>         at
> org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.loadContainer(Lorg.ofbiz.base
> .container.ContainerConfig$Container;[Ljava.lang.String;)Lorg.ofbiz.ba
> se.container.Container;(ContainerLoader.java:152)
>

> We have ensured that the JOTM port we configured is not being used by
> anything else (netstat -na).  And again, this was working this
> morning, it just stopped being able to restart.
>
> Any ideas??
>

>  - Lon

Re: Users - OFBiz No Longer Starts

Brett
Lon,

Any chance you are running a new firewall configuration on your
machine.  I have also seen this on our LInux machines when we change
our firewall policies.

Brett

On 3/22/06, Lon F. Binder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brett,
>
> Thank you for responding.  We generally keep about 6 instances of ofbiz
> running on this box, all with different ports.  We've not had problems
> before.
>
> In fact, we restarted the whole box, it didn't help.  Some OFBiz instances
> start, some don't.  As much as we can think of, nothing changed.
>
>  - Lon

Nope-- we checked iptables -L.  Totally clean.

 - Lon

Any chance you are running a new firewall configuration on your machine.  I
have also seen this on our LInux machines when we change our firewall
policies.

Brett

On 3/22/06, Lon F. Binder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brett,
>
> Thank you for responding.  We generally keep about 6 instances of
> ofbiz running on this box, all with different ports.  We've not had
> problems before.
>
> In fact, we restarted the whole box, it didn't help.  Some OFBiz
> instances start, some don't.  As much as we can think of, nothing changed.
>
>  - Lon

davidnwelton
One of my favorite low-level tools for digging into stuff on Linux,
non intrusively, is 'strace'.  As in:

strace -fF -s 1000 -o /tmp/outfile java -jar ofbiz.jar

where -fF follows forks and threads

-s 1000 sets string dumps to a max of 1000 bytes
-o sets an output file

You can see the system calls happening in your app...sometimes you can
see that somethings not being loaded or things of that ilk.  Of
course, if it's a higher level issue (a java problem), this technique
will pretty much be a waste of time...

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - OFBiz No Longer Starts

Lon F. Binder-2
David,

NICE!!!  Your tip absolutely led to us solving the problem.  We discovered
that OFBiz was still trying to hit RMI on port 1099, even though we had
changed it in "base/config/ofbiz-containers.xml" and
"framework/jotm/config/iiop.properties" (or
"components/jotm/config/carol.properties" on our older installations) to
another port.

The reason this problem happened all of the sudden was because previously
our OFBiz instances were starting, because one of them was up on 1099, and
that allowed the others to all start.  That one was down now and that's why
the rest failed!

SOLUTION
To fix this we realized the RMI port needs to also be set in
"base/config/jndi.properties".  This completely solved the problem.

Thanks for the tip.

 - Lon